Acronyms

Is there a faq somewhere that will tell me the various meanings of the
acronyms used to describe RPG's? The ones i am wondering about are the ones
that prepend "RPG" as in xxxRPG.

--
Supreme Lord: http://watorrey.net/
Heathcliff Dragon -==(UDIC)==-

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> once tried to test me
    with:

    > Is there a faq somewhere that will tell me the various meanings of the
    > acronyms used to describe RPG's? The ones i am wondering about are the
    > ones that prepend "RPG" as in xxxRPG.

    If you mean MMORPG, that one means:

    Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. This genre was bred from
    the old text-based MUD's (Multi-User Domain/Dungeon) back in the 80's that
    were very popular at universities (I wasted a lot of my lab time on it :)).
    There were some early graphical games that didn't actually call themselves
    "MMO" because they weren't all that "massive" (maybe few hundred
    simultaneous players tops, unlike the current games which allow THOUSANDS
    of simultaneous players, tens of thousands actually). These early birds
    were games like the old Neverwinter Nights on America Online (not the
    recent game by Bioware), and Dark Sun Online on the Total Entertainment
    Network, and Meridian 59. These games sold decently enough as far as
    compter games went back in their day I guess but it wasn't until Ultima
    Online came out that people put the word "Massively" in the title, which
    could support thousands on one server at one time in a supposed "living and
    breathing" game world. Then a little company no one ever heard of named
    Verant created a little game called Everquest in 1999. And the world has
    never been the same. After the first couple of hundred thousand monthly
    paying subscribers they realized they hit a goldmine. Now everyone and
    their dog tried to jump in on the bandwagon and a genre was truely born.
    MMOG's of all sorts have come and gone now, and the current leading champs
    in North America at least are World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, and
    Everquest II. They all have websites so check them out.

    The only other types of "xxxRPG" you might see aren't really acronyms.

    Like "Action/RPG" means a game that requires player-skill as well as
    character-skills to succeed, generally a hybrid of the action-game genre
    with the RPG-genre. Like the upcomming Dungeon Lords is. Or the ever
    popular Diablo games.

    Or "Strat/RPG" means a game that involves a lot of strategic gameplay mixed
    with RPG elements, like Warlords Battlecry series, or Etherlords, or from
    what i've read Spellforce (haven't played it).

    You might occasionally see someone refer to an RPG as a "CRPG". They mean
    "computer RPG" as opposed to the original type of RPG, the pen & paper
    kind, like the old but still very popular Dungeons & Dragons game. In this
    newsgroup when someone says "RPG" we assume they are talking about computer
    RPG's so we generally drop the "C". In fact we might talk about "P&P RPG"
    if we actually mean the kind you play with books, pencils, and dice.

    BTW, World of Warcraft is the best game ever created. Amen. Praise
    Blizzard!

    --

    Knight37

    Thankyou, that was very helpful :-)

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> once tried to test me with:

    > Thankyou, that was very helpful :-)

    Welcome.

    --

    Knight37

    Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 26 Feb 2005 07:08:28 GMT, Anno
    Domini:

    >BTW, World of Warcraft is the best game ever created. Amen. Praise
    >Blizzard!

    There's a cure for your condition K, you know...;-p

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

    Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> once tried to test me with:

    > Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 26 Feb 2005 07:08:28 GMT, Anno
    > Domini:
    >
    >>BTW, World of Warcraft is the best game ever created. Amen. Praise
    >>Blizzard!
    >
    > There's a cure for your condition K, you know...;-p

    The Rapture?

    --

    Knight37

    Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

    >World of BoreCraft *guffaw*

    MMORPGFIGHT!!!
    <throws EQ2 at Nostromo>

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

    Knight37 wrote:
    > You might occasionally see someone refer to an RPG as a "CRPG". They
    mean
    > "computer RPG" as opposed to the original type of RPG, the pen &
    paper
    > kind, like the old but still very popular Dungeons & Dragons game. In
    this
    > newsgroup when someone says "RPG" we assume they are talking about
    computer
    > RPG's so we generally drop the "C". In fact we might talk about "P&P
    RPG"
    > if we actually mean the kind you play with books, pencils, and dice.

    Actually, I have seen CRPG used to distinguish computer RPGs from
    console RPGs also.
    However, more often there is a distinction between American-style (M&M,
    Wizardry, D&D...) RPGs and Japanese-style (Dragon Warrior, Final
    Fantasy, ...), where the latter are referred to as jRPGs. generally,
    jRPGs are console based, and the others are generally computer based.

    There are, of course, exceptions both ways (and not just in the form of
    ports)

    Xocyll wrote:

    > Oh now there's a horrible thought, LotR done by Disney. <shudder>
    >
    > Xocyll
    <end quote>

    So Gandalf (not you, Parker) will be wearing Mickey Ears instead of his usual
    pointy wizard hat, and Golum(sp?) will have a Goofy(tm) look instead of that
    evil face, and the black hooded figure (sorry, can't remeber their name, I've
    only watched Return of The King, so can't quite remember all the names) will be
    quacking with Donald's voice instead of the horrifying shriek?.......

    now that's eeky.....

    "Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
    -Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-

    "The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> once tried to test me with:

    > Actually, I have seen CRPG used to distinguish computer RPGs from
    > console RPGs also.
    > However, more often there is a distinction between American-style (M&M,
    > Wizardry, D&D...) RPGs and Japanese-style (Dragon Warrior, Final
    > Fantasy, ...), where the latter are referred to as jRPGs. generally,
    > jRPGs are console based, and the others are generally computer based.
    >
    > There are, of course, exceptions both ways (and not just in the form of
    > ports)

    I've seen that before but so extremely rarely I didn't think it was worth
    mentioning.

    --

    Knight37

PC gaming Games IBM RPG Video Games