Keyvaniath

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Hello, Recently I turned on my computer and can not connect to wifi, I looked through everything and found out the Wifi card was dead. It was on my HP factory mobo so I have no idea which wifi card to buy! My room with my computer is upstairs 1 room over from directly above my router. Its about 30-40ft(10-13m) away.

So please link the ones you guys would recommend below!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Heres my mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
If you want one exactly like the one that came with your mother board the part number is GC-WB300D

You will not find a lot of difference between various brands of cards. This one has 2x2 mimo but if your router does not support it then it makes no difference.

I guess it will work for you but it seems to me that because of the small size it is very convienent for a laptop or small device and would be very good for web surfing and smaller tasks like that. If you plan on streaming or downloading large files or gaming then you want something a little better. 150 mbps is ok but a little slow and something around 300 or 450 mbps would be better but that will depend on your usage and needs.

Keyvaniath

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011

got any ideas?

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
It also depends on your router. You need to match the features to get the best value. If you are running any equipment on G band then any card will do just fine. You will be limited to 54m no matter how fancy a router or card you have. To get optimum results you must only run N and all equipment must support the same protocols. In this case to get 300 or 450 you must have 2x2 or 3x3 mimo support. Mimo requires multiple antenna.

Its like all the fancy 802.11AC equipment people are running out to buy only to find out they get no benefit because they are using a old ipad that runs only G and it causes everything else to go into compatibility mode.

More than likely the card you list will work as well as anything else until you upgrade all your equipment.