cant install a printer [win xp]

thefunkeymonkey

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001
Im having probs installing a hp deskjet 656c connected via usb.

It is connected correctly (and when i unplug and replug in the usb cable, windows makes a noise).

However using the win xp driver cd i got with it, it does not detect the printer on usb. I have also tried both usb ports.

Under "Printers and Faxes" in the control pannel, when i click on "Add a printer" a critical error pops up (though its titled "Printers"), saying "Operation could not be completed".

The same printer and usb cable worked on this pc 5 months back (i uninstalled it on this computer and used it on another running win 2k).

M39shadow

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
Kinda hard to troubleshoot this without knowing more information. What has happened since you originally had it installed? Did you reformat or did you delete the printer. Did you add a different printer driver? I'm also assuming you have Admin rights.

You may also wanna check out the Services in the Administrative tools section of the control panel and verify that the Print Spooler service is running.

It may also be possible that Windows XP has become corrupt or portions of the Windows registry (Hkey_local machine/Enum) have been write protected. You may want to check out the device manager to verify that there are not any errors on the USB UHC.

scoote69

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004
I have the same problem. I cant install the printer from the cd drivers or via win xp add printer. I origianlly received an rpc error so I made sure my rpc was on auto and started and double checked my spool as well. I also checked the usb and its fine. I also ran spf/scannow to no avail. Im stuck and would love some suggestions. thanks so much.