Kohan 2: Waste of f*(&king money

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Ok, so I know I'm not the best RTS player on the planet
but I am somewhat decent. I picked up Kohan 2 because
it recieved a ton of good reviews. I installed it and got
through mission one no problem. So now I'm on mission
2 and I'm getting my a$$ handed to me. *Mission 2*!?!?!
I barely have a chance to build up when I'm _overrun_
by the enemy. I'm getting hit with wave after wave after
wave of attacks by 5+ companies each time. I myself
can't build more than 5 companies because I don't even
have the opportunity to explore the rest of the map when
another wave comes and decimates me. And this is on
the normal difficulty level. WTF!?
Unless you are an RTS *god*, forget the reviews and
don't bother picking this game up.

thnx,
Sorrow
---
"Are they dead?" - Pugsly
"Does it matter?" - Wednesday
6 answers Last reply
More about kohan waste king money
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Haven't you noticed the difficulty selector?
    --
    http://www.kynosarges.de
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Haven't you noticed the difficulty selector?

    Yes. Normal and Hard. As I stated in my original post,
    I'm experiencing this on the normal (or lowest) setting.

    thnx,
    Sorrow
    ---
    "Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War.
    Our war is a spiritual war. Our depression is our lives."
    - Tyler Durden
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:00:30 -0600, "Sorrow" <jcboget@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Yes. Normal and Hard. As I stated in my original post,
    >I'm experiencing this on the normal (or lowest) setting.

    Sorry, I overlooked that. Anyway, I'm hardly the world's best RTS
    player and I didn't really have any difficulties on Normal until the
    last missions of the campaign.

    Keep in mind that Kohan 2 favors the defense -- build up your castles,
    build lots of fortresses, claim resource spots but don't overextend
    early on by building too many cities.

    Also, a couple of scenarios have a "trick" -- you must figure out the
    correct sequence to expand. I think those come later, though.
    --
    http://www.kynosarges.de
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Sorrow wrote:
    >>Haven't you noticed the difficulty selector?
    >
    >
    > Yes. Normal and Hard. As I stated in my original post,
    > I'm experiencing this on the normal (or lowest) setting.
    >
    > thnx,
    > Sorrow
    > ---
    > "Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War.
    > Our war is a spiritual war. Our depression is our lives."
    > - Tyler Durden
    >
    >
    It must be down to your bad skills. I am pretty average as far as RTS
    and love Kohan II. The difficulty if nicely balanced. My approach is
    that I tend to defend until I build an army of about 3-4 companies and I
    try to take out enemy resources and smaller outposts, sending an
    engineering team behind them to build outposts and mines etc.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Czar" <JustReply@usent.net> wrote in message
    news:zCpUd.4964$1S4.541258@news.xtra.co.nz...
    > Sorrow wrote:
    >>>Haven't you noticed the difficulty selector?
    >>
    >>
    >> Yes. Normal and Hard. As I stated in my original post,
    >> I'm experiencing this on the normal (or lowest) setting.
    >>
    >> thnx,
    >> Sorrow
    >> ---
    >> "Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War.
    >> Our war is a spiritual war. Our depression is our lives."
    >> - Tyler Durden
    >>
    >>
    > It must be down to your bad skills. I am pretty average as far as RTS and
    > love Kohan II. The difficulty if nicely balanced. My approach is that I
    > tend to defend until I build an army of about 3-4 companies and I try to
    > take out enemy resources and smaller outposts, sending an engineering team
    > behind them to build outposts and mines etc.

    Also don't neglect to build "fortress orchards" to defend your cities. A
    triangle of fortress built up against a city wall in the direction of likely
    attack will provide powerful protection. It's been awhile since I played
    the campaign, but I don't recall any particular difficulty on the "normal"
    setting once I got the hang of things.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Sorrow wrote:
    > Ok, so I know I'm not the best RTS player on the planet
    > but I am somewhat decent. I picked up Kohan 2 because
    > it recieved a ton of good reviews. I installed it and got
    > through mission one no problem. So now I'm on mission
    > 2 and I'm getting my a$$ handed to me. *Mission 2*!?!?!
    > I barely have a chance to build up when I'm _overrun_
    > by the enemy. I'm getting hit with wave after wave after
    > wave of attacks by 5+ companies each time. I myself
    > can't build more than 5 companies because I don't even
    > have the opportunity to explore the rest of the map when
    > another wave comes and decimates me. And this is on
    > the normal difficulty level. WTF!?
    > Unless you are an RTS *god*, forget the reviews and
    > don't bother picking this game up.
    >
    > thnx,
    > Sorrow

    Was this the level where you're supposed to get your guy to
    the other end of the map? I remember an early map where all
    ya had to do was take that guy and an early group up to the
    corner of the map, fighting your way there, before your one
    town got overrun, which it pretty much was guaranteed to
    have happen to it eventually. A race against the clock sort
    of thing. You don't win the map by conquering it, but by
    succesfully running away.

    Anyhow, the campaign has some scripted stuff and all that
    so its not really 'normal' type play. Try just you against
    the ai in a scenario, or an mp game to avoid all that if it
    gets troublesome. Hmm, maybe I should reinstall this game. =>

    Leo
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games