Sign in with
Your question

Problems with port forwarding

Last response: in Networking
February 4, 2013 6:02:21 PM

Hello, I'm trying to set up a Minecraft server , but I seem to be doing something wrong when I try to port forward (I've had a Server before and it worked just fine with the same settings (this was before I got a new Motherboard and a CPU)).
After upgrading the CPU and the Motherboard The ports seem to no longer be forwarded. I also had format the HDD before I re-installed windows (could this have something to do with the problem?). So what should I do?
February 4, 2013 10:18:18 PM

You forward the ports on the router, not the PC. Please provide more details so we can help further.
February 5, 2013 1:48:26 PM

Yeah, I've forwarded them on my router. oh, and which kind of details do you need?
Related resources
February 5, 2013 9:31:49 PM

Did you change any settings on the router?
Are you using the same IP address as before? Changing the motherboard will likely cause your router to give you a different IP address.
February 6, 2013 12:01:40 PM

Well, all I did on the router was port forwarding, I found out my IP adress using sites like http://www.whatismyip.com/ .
And I for the server i opened the port 25565 which should be the default port for Minecraft
February 6, 2013 12:13:19 PM

Oh, and this might help: I tried adding my IP after the "IP="on the server config file. And now when I try to run the server it says this: "[Warning] **** Failed to bind to port, the exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address JVM_bind , prehaps a server is already running on that port?" . So, does that mean I'm using the wrong IP?
February 6, 2013 9:37:07 PM

Open up a command prompt and enter:

ipconfig

That will tell you your actual IP address you need to use when you tell the router to forward ports.
February 7, 2013 3:47:58 PM

Still no results, same error
April 2, 2014 10:02:35 AM

You have something else running on that port, restart your pc!
!