First timer needs help HDD/Raid

Rekish

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
This is my first time building a computer and I have run into a problem. Here's my comp:

Via P4Pb Ultra
P4 2.4ghz
2 WD 80Gb
Onboard Promise Raid FastTrack 133 Lite
AIW 9700 Pro
1Gb Corsair 3200

The problem is that when I went into the raid Bios and hit auto setup it said no disks available. However when I went to view array it shows Array 1 WD800JB and Array 2 WD800JB. I try every option to set up the array but it won't let me do it because it says no disks available.

I've tried changing jumper settings and I checked the cables and they look ok to me. I also tried hooking just one drive up to the regular ide channel it showed the drive but then hungup while saying verifying dmi pool. I cleared cmos and it did the same thing again. So I cleared cmos again and switched back to the raid setup and back to the original problem.

Also, as i was connecting a smatcard reader that came with the mainboard my finger slipped and I scratched the mainboard about 1/4 inch long but doesn't look very deep barely noticeable. Just curious if this could cause the problem. I'm starting to worry that was the cause.

So, if anyone knows why the bios would see the two hard drives but say no disks available, please help.

Thank You

zepper

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
The manual for the Promise on-board RAID should be on the CD that came with your mobo. If not there, then on the mfr's web site. Usually the Promise manuals are easy to follow and thorough. You may have to have some working drive on the main IDE controller to get things set up the first time, but usually a floppy boot is all you need. Good luck.
.bh.

----------
Perhaps the only reason for your existence is to act as a warning to others...

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
view array it shows Array 1 WD800JB and Array 2 WD800JB
That sounds like your disks are already assigned into arrays. Dunno how you did that. If they weren't, then view array should show "no array defined". Which would also explain whilst you have no disks available, they are in arrays already. When the controller BIOS comes up and says searching for disks..... what does it come up with? It should pause there and wait for you to do something if no arrays are defined. If the disks are in arrays like I think then delete Array 1 and Array 2. Then when you look in setup again it should show both disks as being available. You need to select both disks to enter into a single array.

Rekish

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Thank you both. You were right about deleting the arrays. So, that problem is fixed.

I think I may have a bad floppy drive, though. It says "disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter" when I try to use the boot floppy I made so I can use fdisk.

I tried the boot disk on this machine and it worked, so the disk isn't the problem. I also made sure that the bios was set to boot from floppy. The bios sees the drive and the floppy drive led is on, but it doesn't sound like the drive is making any noise when it should be reading the disk. I also tried reseating the cable and power connection.

Is this most likely a bad floppy drive? Maybe a bad floppy cable? Any other possible causes? Thanks for your help.

jmemmert

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
I'm currently building my second computer, and have pretty much convinced myself that RAID 10 or 0+1 is the way to go for HDD stability and speed.

My question really is: what is the performance gain (or loss) between PCI RAID controllers and MoBo/IDE RAID options?

(I haven't chosen a chipset for my MoBo yet - it will be P4 w/HT, 533 FSB, and 8x AGP - but, I'm not going MoBO shopping for a few months - still in the planning phase)