Wireless Netgear SSID Disappears Daily at Same Time

Tags:
  • Connectivity
  • Netgear
  • SSID
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 18, 2012 12:14:56 AM

Every day around the same time the SSID for my wireless network disappears. I'm using a Netgear wnr2000v3. Prior to this I was using a Linksys router, which did the same thing... only more frequently (2-3 times a day).

Between smartphones and laptops, there are about 6 devices connected to the network. They all lose their connection and cannot find the broadcasted SSID when this happens.

Because it happens around the same time each day, it makes me think that it has something to do with the DHCP lease, which is 24 hours. Just a thought, as I don't really know how that works.

I've tried changing channels and letting it automatically select, but does not seem to resolve the issue. Anything else I can try?

More about : wireless netgear ssid disappears daily time

December 18, 2012 12:46:27 AM

It sounds to me like there is some sort of outside interference that takes place everyday at the same time and knocks your wireless signal off. Maybe you can try moving the location of the router to another part of the house if possible or even the next room.
m
l
December 18, 2012 1:13:21 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

I forgot to mention in the original post that when I reboot the router, the SSID comes back.

I'll report back if this solves the problem...
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2012 5:08:42 PM

Hope it works for you and if not let us know and we'll see if there is something else that can be done.
m
l
December 18, 2012 5:44:36 PM

neonomer said:
Because it happens around the same time each day, it makes me think that it has something to do with the DHCP lease, which is 24 hours.

You're quite right to suspect the Lease - it would cut the connection exactly 24 hours to the second from the time the last Lease was created. Go into the Netgear's settings - 192.168.0.1 should get you in - and find the leasing period and change it to the highest value available.
m
l
!