Queeg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Hello all

Just a quick question for you.

With component prices a lot cheaper in the US than here in the UK I was thinkign on buying the parts to build a computer from the US. Now the thing im not sure about is are there any differances in the components in the US that would make them not work in the UK. The one thing I wasnt sure about wa the power supply as in the UK the power comes in 240v and 50Hz and ive no idea what it is in the states.

cheers for any help

svol

Champion
In the USA it is 110V IIRC. But most PSUs support both 230(240)V as 110V... there will be a switch on the back that lets you select the needed one.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only differences are: You have to buy a power supply with a switch on the back (as most have), and the TV-output of video cards is NTSC instead of PAL (some cards can be switched in drivers, others require a BIOS flash). The voltage in the U.S. is "115 volts" at 60Hz. It's actually 112-124 volts and often called 110, 115, or 120, depending on who you talk to. Line voltage is never completely stable.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Queeg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
So if i get a PSU with a voltage switch (have to say I thought they were standard) and make sure I can if I want to use the TV-output of a video card that it can be updated to pal im laughing so to speak ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right. The only power supplies I've seen without the switch were garbage anyway.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>