Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Tungsten T3 - Can the O/S crash so that even h/w reset doe..

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 4:12:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi all,

I have just bought a new Tungsten T3.

Before I start putting more s/w on the palm:

Can the O/S crash so that even h/w reset does not work?

Is there a way to back up all the operating system (+ programs + data etc)
like using Norton Ghost on the desktop PC?

tia

Avraham.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 5:23:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Palm makes a "Secure File PDA Backup" card which can be used to backup all
of the data on the T-3.

--
Lawrence E. Oliver
Address Invalid - look - obvious changes

"Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
news:40c6d512$1@news.bezeqint.net...
> Hi all,
>
> I have just bought a new Tungsten T3.
>
> Before I start putting more s/w on the palm:
>
> Can the O/S crash so that even h/w reset does not work?
>
> Is there a way to back up all the operating system (+ programs + data etc)
> like using Norton Ghost on the desktop PC?
>
> tia
>
> Avraham.
>
>
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:52:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:12:53 -0700, Avraham Makeler had this to say...


> Hi all,
>
> I have just bought a new Tungsten T3.
>
> Before I start putting more s/w on the palm:
>
> Can the O/S crash so that even h/w reset does not work?

If you load incompatible software you can get into a reset loop crash
that requires a warm reset (safe mode), delete software, reset.

> Is there a way to back up all the operating system (+ programs + data etc)
> like using Norton Ghost on the desktop PC?

The OS is in ROM and can not be deleted. Everything you load to RAM with
QuickInstall is copied to c:/palm/username/backup. If you do a Hard
Reset (wipe out RAM) and Hotsync, the Palm will be restored from the
backup dir automatically.

> tia
>
> Avraham.
>
>
>

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 12:02:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
news:40c6d512$1@news.bezeqint.net...
>
> Can the O/S crash so that even h/w reset does not work?

No, the above cannot happen.

>
> Is there a way to back up all the operating system (+ programs + data etc)
> like using Norton Ghost on the desktop PC?

All data is backed up during a hot sync. If you wipe your palm clean, and
sync..it will be restored to it correct setup.


--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com
http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 12:38:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Albert D. Kallal" wrote:
>
> "Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
> news:40c6d512$1@news.bezeqint.net...
> >
> > Can the O/S crash so that even h/w reset does not work?
>
> No, the above cannot happen.
>
> >
> > Is there a way to back up all the operating system (+ programs + data etc)
> > like using Norton Ghost on the desktop PC?
>
> All data is backed up during a hot sync. If you wipe your palm clean, and
> sync..it will be restored to it correct setup.
>
> --
> Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com
> http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

Yes, I had 2 brand new T3s, that while testing
software, FAILED (all within a 5 day period) such
that they would not even turn on. Took the second
one back to a different Staples and am still using
the third T3.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 11:10:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <T1Kxc.720181$Ig.76577@pd7tw2no>, "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMMkallal@msn.com> writes:
>> Is there a way to back up all the operating system (+ programs + data etc)
>> like using Norton Ghost on the desktop PC?
>
> All data is backed up during a hot sync. If you wipe your palm clean, and
> sync..it will be restored to it correct setup.

From my experinece with a Palm Zire 71, all I can say to that is BU!!$H!T.
My unit has lost power overnight while not doing anything 3 times. I've
NEVER been able to restore the data via hot sync from my PC. I couldn't even
restore my old Visor data to the new Z71 via hot sync when it was new. I
ended up beaming over most of the data, and spending about a day piecing it
back together each time it got wiped. Palm "support" was worthless in all
of these incidents.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

Save Model Rocketry from the HSA! http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 4:57:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <Qd8u+ylTU8VF@eisner.encompasserve.org>, Bob Kaplow
<kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.TRABoD> wrote:

> In article <T1Kxc.720181$Ig.76577@pd7tw2no>, "Albert D. Kallal"
> <PleaseNOOOsPAMMkallal@msn.com> writes:
> >> Is there a way to back up all the operating system (+ programs + data etc)
> >> like using Norton Ghost on the desktop PC?
> >
> > All data is backed up during a hot sync. If you wipe your palm clean, and
> > sync..it will be restored to it correct setup.
>
> From my experinece with a Palm Zire 71, all I can say to that is BU!!$H!T.
> My unit has lost power overnight while not doing anything 3 times. I've
> NEVER been able to restore the data via hot sync from my PC. I couldn't even
> restore my old Visor data to the new Z71 via hot sync when it was new. I
> ended up beaming over most of the data, and spending about a day piecing it
> back together each time it got wiped. Palm "support" was worthless in all
> of these incidents.

Maybe you didn't configure the conduit setting properly? Or never
backed up anything?

But I have to say, the restore from backup has never been complete in
my experience. There's always a few files missing, in particular
relating to software registration. Kind of annoying.

--
!