Sign in with
Your question

I have a huge problem that only a genius could fix

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
April 3, 2002 9:23:04 PM

Ok! here we go...
I have a problem with my startup in Windows XP. I have an athlon +1600 XP, and my startup is about 3 minutes long!!!!Under msconfig, I have so many services on my computer. I think that i have to turn off some of these in order to make my boot time faster. Also! when i startup in that safe mode..its actually fast. OH yeah! and! my computer gets into windows fast but i cant do anything for about threee minutes. umm if anyone has any other suggestions, or needs some more info just post
April 3, 2002 9:46:15 PM

Turn off the crap you don't need in msconfig!

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
Related resources
April 5, 2002 2:15:59 AM

I have a similar problem. I have closed all programs that start with windows except Norton antivirus. I boot to windows in 40 seconds but it will take 60 seconds longer for norton to get active. I ahve not figured this out yet. bruce
April 5, 2002 5:06:15 AM

which version of norton antivirus?
and have you updated it to the latest version?
and as for loading into safe mode being fast, of course it is going to be fast, nothing at all is loading except the basic drivers needed to run the computer :wink: ..hehe

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
April 5, 2002 6:16:39 AM

<font color=green>and as for loading into safe mode being fast, of course it is going to be fast, nothing at all is loading except the basic drivers needed to run the computer :wink: ..hehe</font color=green>

Clever, Dave...just clever...that was seriously so simple, it was difficult for me to comprehend... :lol: 

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>
April 5, 2002 6:18:37 AM

Norton's a pretty slow program to boot up with, it's just doing it's thing.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
April 5, 2002 12:45:00 PM

I noticed you said that even in safe mode, you can't do anything for the first three minutes.

Does this machine have a network card in it? If so, is it connected to a network? Does it have an assigned IP address?

If not, then I would assign it an IP addy of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0

See if that helps pick up the boot-up.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>
!