0X80070057 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

staalkoppie

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
After my Vista installation bombed out, I decided to upgrade to Win 7 x 64 ultimate.

After I run the installation, I delete the old partition, and create a new one.

Windows installation then gives me an error: "Windows could not format partition on disk 0.
The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code 0x80070057

There are some help articles related to this, but they are all "in-Windows" solutions, wheras I can not boot into Windows.

Please assist with an solution.

Solution
Sounds like some sort of hardware failure, but normally that code shows up during Windows Update. Have you tried installing Vista again to see if you get any kind of errors? If so, I have a feeling either the hard drive is going bad or the controller is bad.

That or you're installation requires SATA drivers and Windows 7 doesn't have the correct ones for your laptop.

Have you confirmed if the laptop is Windows 7 ready?

isamuelson

Distinguished
What is your system setup like, especially the motherboard, chipset, etc? This could be a problem with drivers not being compatible with your motherboard.

This error has also come up on some RAID installations. Do you have your system set up for RAID? You might have to turn that feature off and try to install again and see if it works in a non-RAID setup.

staalkoppie

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
It's a Fujitsu-Siemens Laptop with 1 gig ram and had factory install Vista Home Basic.

After it created several start-up errors I decides to do the format. I have a single hard-drive and no idea what RAID is.. (outside an MMO :) )

I boot from CD
load the windows 7 setup...

Deleted the old partition ( I also tried formatting... same error prevented the format)
Then I created a new partition.

"NeXT"

Windows starts installation with "copying new files 0%" and then it says :"Windows could not format partition on disk 0.
The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code 0x80070057"

isamuelson

Distinguished
Sounds like some sort of hardware failure, but normally that code shows up during Windows Update. Have you tried installing Vista again to see if you get any kind of errors? If so, I have a feeling either the hard drive is going bad or the controller is bad.

That or you're installation requires SATA drivers and Windows 7 doesn't have the correct ones for your laptop.

Have you confirmed if the laptop is Windows 7 ready?

Solution

staalkoppie

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
It does the same with the Vista installation.

I have managed to gain access under the pretenses of loading a driver, but when I tried to open the HHD, the system said " the Drive is not formatted, would you like to format the drive" error message, like you get when a drive has gone bad.

On other forums, there has been mention of HDD failure doing this.

So yeah, I think the HDD must be causing this. The only way to know for sure, would be to change the drive, which I wouldn't do, but it was very educational. Thanks for your feedback.

andrewjasper

Distinguished
May 4, 2010

n
nI am having the same issue.
nWith the WD3000HLFS I receive the error 0x80070057 Failed to Format the selected partition.
n
nThe first time I tried installing windows 7 it worked (without asking the product key - I have got one and yes it is a valid copy of Windows 7!). But then when I rebooted I received HDD errors - system files corrupted. About 10 files. Then Windows 7 wouldn't boot.
n
nThe second install - it asked me for the product key - bizare - nothing had changed!
nThen it wouldn't install: I started receiving the 0x80070057 error.
n
nI have a ASUS MVP-32A32-MVP deluxe motherboard. It has been running Vista for the past year and a half, I did go through the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and everything was fine.
n
n
n
nI know that Windows 7 works on my setup as I've installed it succesfully on 160GB Seagate Baracuda drive; it installed seamlessly in about 30 minutes. I'm running it now, to type this response in. :) No problems with memory, graphics cards, etc. I've run the performance benchmarking.
n
nI'm speculating: could it be the spin up time of the drive? Could the spin up time be causing Windows 7 to time out? A bigger drive, with a faster overall spin speed 10kRPM, and it's taking longer to spin than windows 7 expects?
n
nI haven't switched on AHCI. I have read about it and didn't feel my setup required it.
n
nThe drive works fine in my SATA hard drive cradle - I'm currently formatting it (using windows 7 - it's very slow to format the drive.)
n
n
n
nI also copied about 60Gb of data to the drive earlier to check it and ran a chkdsk. I think the drive is sound. But it's definately something relating to the drive that's causing the problem.

cablestatic

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I recently bought components to build a new Win 7 64bit PC.

I've built many PC's in the past so wasn't expecting any problems I couldn't deal with.

I had this this exact same error message and have been pulling my hair out for the last two weeks trying to solve it.

I even bought a new motherboard, CPU, and HD and got the same error. Urgghh!

Well when I finally figured out what it was I was so relieved and so angry at the same time!

IT WAS THE SATA CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I've never had a problem with a SATA cable before so I never even thought about replacing it.

The one that turned out to be faulty was one of the thin ones, but I've used many of these in the past without incident.

This may or may not be the cause of your problem, but try it

Have a great Xmas and all the best for the new year

cablestatic

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
This post is for anyone who is searching for a solution to this problem

I recently bought components to build a new Win 7 64bit PC.

I've built many PC's in the past so wasn't expecting any problems I couldn't deal with.

I had this this exact same error message and have been pulling my hair out for the last two weeks trying to solve it.

I even bought a new motherboard, CPU, and HD and got the same error. Urgghh!

Well when I finally figured out what it was I was so relieved and so angry at the same time!

IT WAS THE SATA CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never had a problem with a SATA cable before so I never even thought about replacing it.

The one that turned out to be faulty was one of the thin ones, but I've used many of these in the past without incident.

This may or may not be the cause of your problem, but try it

Have a great Xmas and all the best for the new year

Status
Not open for further replies.