More News on Troika

This article has more info on the Troika closure:
http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=9052

Here's a good quote with some meaningful data -
"Boyarsky, Cain and Anderson formed Troika in 1998 after leaving Interplay
where they created the classic RPG Fallout. Troika only created three games
in the past six years: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (2001),
The Temple of Elemental Evil (2003) and Vampire: The Masquerade -
Bloodlines (2004). These games catered to the niche RPG market, and
although most were well received critically, the titles simply failed to
generate enough revenue for the studio to survive. Arcanum was the
company's best selling game, and it only managed to sell 234K units and
generate sales of $8.8 million, according to the NPD Group. It was downhill
from there; The Temple of Elemental Evil sold 128K units ($5.2 million) and
Bloodlines sold a paltry 72K units ($3.4 million). It didn't help either
that Bloodlines, which was published by Activision and powered by the
Source/Half-Life 2 engine, was released at the same time as Valve's
blockbuster first-person shooter sequel."

I don't know if they are talking about sales in North America or not and
also not sure what time-period they are using.

PC Gamer's Editor said this:
"I think the combination of sales with the reputation for not having the
most bug-free products at launch day made it tough to find financing for
their projects going forward."

--

Knight37

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message

> PC Gamer's Editor said this:
> "I think the combination of sales with the reputation for not having the
> most bug-free products at launch day made it tough to find financing for
> their projects going forward."

I still think if they had a bit of Q/A and timely releases of patches, it
wouldn't have been the problem it was, and their rep would not have suffered
so much. All games need Q/A and patches. But for some reason, Troika never
had testing and patching as part of the overall deal - they were the only
developers I can remember saying things like "well, if the publisher pays
us, we'll make a patch".

I know we sometimes rail against the "suits" and "bean counters" here in the
gaming newsgroups, but it appears Troika could have used a few business
people to make the deals, and let the designers do what they do best - make
games.

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> This article has more info on the Troika closure:
> http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=9052
>
> PC Gamer's Editor said this:
> "I think the combination of sales with the reputation for not having the
> most bug-free products at launch day made it tough to find financing for
> their projects going forward."

"Going forward"? Gah, wasn't expecting to see management-speak in this
newsgroup! I hear enough of it at work!

Rich

thrasher

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

On 2 Mar 2005 04:25:43 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>PC Gamer's Editor said this:

Who cares what a known 'tard says, Knight? Best way to say "this
person's opinion is idiotic" is to associate them with a PC game
magazine.