lenght of MIDI cable

Last response: in Home Audio
January 5, 2005 2:58:43 AM

What is the maximal lenght of MIDI cable I can connect my timepiece and a
recording interface?
Is 10 meters not to much for MIDI signal?
(sorry for my english ;-)

best wishes
Franz

More about : lenght midi cable

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:58:44 AM

Franz wrote:
> What is the maximal lenght of MIDI cable I can connect my timepiece and a
> recording interface?
> Is 10 meters not to much for MIDI signal?
> (sorry for my english ;-)

10 meters is fine, as is your English.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:28:32 AM

Is 10 meters not to much for MIDI signal?
>> (sorry for my english ;-)

> 10 meters is fine, as is your English.

Thanks... WHat about 30?
Franz
January 5, 2005 3:28:33 AM

In article <crf8qr$djt$1@news.onet.pl>, "Franz" <franzk@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

> Is 10 meters not to much for MIDI signal?
> >> (sorry for my english ;-)
>
> > 10 meters is fine, as is your English.
>
> Thanks... WHat about 30?
> Franz

The longest recommended length for MIDI cables is 50 feet. Not feeling
like doing a metric to whatever-the-heck-our-nonstandardized-standards
are, 90 feet would definately exceed that distance.

There are some wireless products and other options that can increase your
cable length. On really busy MIDI networks, you can drop a lot of bits
after around 10M worth of cable if you are using a real poor cable.

--
The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.org/
Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.

In article <crf72t$qkq$1@news.onet.pl> franzk@poczta.onet.pl writes:

> What is the maximal lenght of MIDI cable I can connect my timepiece and a
> recording interface?

Just a little shorter than what it takes to make it stop working.

> Is 10 meters not to much for MIDI signal?

That's the official maximum length, so if that's all you need, it
should work. There are low capacitance cables that will work for MIDI
over 100 feet or more, and you used to be able to get boosters if you
needed it any longer than that (probably nobody makes them any more).
And then there's wireless MIDI.