Planescape: Torment. Combat, abusing Morte

Toby

I'm playing PS:T, and whenever in combat, I find it very easy to use
Morte's "Litany of Curses" on the enemy. They just chase Morte around
(But never catch him if you make him run) and the rest of the party
slash them in the back until they die. It does make the combat a little
easy!

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
> I'm playing PS:T, and whenever in combat, I find it very easy to use
> Morte's "Litany of Curses" on the enemy. They just chase Morte around
> (But never catch him if you make him run) and the rest of the party
> slash them in the back until they die. It does make the combat a little
> easy!

Fortunately Torment isn't about the combat anyway. It's all about the
story, which is excellent.

I'm currently playing NWN Shadows of Undrentide, hoping for a nice story,
but the game seems to be mostly about combat. Incredibly deadly combat.
I saved/restored dozens of times by now. I guess I should have chosen a
combat monster instead of a rogue.

mcv.

mcv <mcvmcv@xs3.xs4all.nl> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>> I'm playing PS:T, and whenever in combat, I find it very easy to use
>> Morte's "Litany of Curses" on the enemy. They just chase Morte around
>> (But never catch him if you make him run) and the rest of the party
>> slash them in the back until they die. It does make the combat a little
>> easy!
>
>Fortunately Torment isn't about the combat anyway. It's all about the
>story, which is excellent.
>
>I'm currently playing NWN Shadows of Undrentide, hoping for a nice story,
>but the game seems to be mostly about combat. Incredibly deadly combat.
>I saved/restored dozens of times by now. I guess I should have chosen a
>combat monster instead of a rogue.

Almost any class can make it through SoU, though the squishier ones will
have a bit more trouble.

The easiest way to semi-remedy this is to create a new character, run it
through the prelude/tutorial section of the original game, save the
character and then start a new game of SoU with that character.

Being level 3 instead of 1 makes a fairly big difference to your
survival in the beginning, but doesn't unbalance things enough to make
everything too easy.

Paladins get a couple very nice bonuses in SoU.

Xocyll

mcv wrote:

> Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm playing PS:T, and whenever in combat, I find it very easy to use
>>Morte's "Litany of Curses" on the enemy. They just chase Morte around
>>(But never catch him if you make him run) and the rest of the party
>>slash them in the back until they die. It does make the combat a little
>>easy!
>

> Fortunately Torment isn't about the combat anyway. It's all about the
> story, which is excellent.
>
> I'm currently playing NWN Shadows of Undrentide, hoping for a nice story,
> but the game seems to be mostly about combat. Incredibly deadly combat.
> I saved/restored dozens of times by now. I guess I should have chosen a
> combat monster instead of a rogue.

It gets better, then it gets worse, then it gets better...then it gets
worse ;-)

I found HotU was HEAVY on the combat and the Beholders were a real bear.

Xocyll in <8kgb2118ksq50i745bd0qbeefh0jqjfm85@4ax.com>:

> mcv <mcvmcv@xs3.xs4all.nl>: looked up from reading the entrails of the
> >I'm currently playing NWN Shadows of Undrentide, hoping for a nice story,
> >but the game seems to be mostly about combat. Incredibly deadly combat.

Well, the game is about the one and only real true Deekin, really. The
rest is just there so that Deekin has something to comment on.

> Paladins get a couple very nice bonuses in SoU.

Oooh yes. Apart from the special boni/items, one of the interludes is so
nice for a Paladin that it is worth it to play the SoU again as a
Paladin just for this. And be sure to take Deekin along, if you haven't
before. <g>

On 02 Mar 2005 10:47:25 GMT, mcv <mcvmcv@xs3.xs4all.nl> wrote:

>Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>> I'm playing PS:T, and whenever in combat, I find it very easy to use
>> Morte's "Litany of Curses" on the enemy. They just chase Morte around
>> (But never catch him if you make him run) and the rest of the party
>> slash them in the back until they die. It does make the combat a little
>> easy!
>
>Fortunately Torment isn't about the combat anyway. It's all about the
>story, which is excellent.
>
>I'm currently playing NWN Shadows of Undrentide, hoping for a nice story,
>but the game seems to be mostly about combat. Incredibly deadly combat.
>I saved/restored dozens of times by now. I guess I should have chosen a
>combat monster instead of a rogue.

Do what I did: import a 7th level ftr/mnk/weapon master into SoU. Makes the
fights with billions of kobolds much more enjoyable.

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote:
> On 02 Mar 2005 10:47:25 GMT, mcv <mcvmcv@xs3.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>>> I'm playing PS:T, and whenever in combat, I find it very easy to use
>>> Morte's "Litany of Curses" on the enemy. They just chase Morte around
>>> (But never catch him if you make him run) and the rest of the party
>>> slash them in the back until they die. It does make the combat a little
>>> easy!
>>
>>Fortunately Torment isn't about the combat anyway. It's all about the
>>story, which is excellent.
>>
>>I'm currently playing NWN Shadows of Undrentide, hoping for a nice story,
>>but the game seems to be mostly about combat. Incredibly deadly combat.
>>I saved/restored dozens of times by now. I guess I should have chosen a
>>combat monster instead of a rogue.
>
> Do what I did: import a 7th level ftr/mnk/weapon master into SoU.

Are you really supposed to be able to import powerful characters into this
game? Perhaps it's so hard because it's simply not meant to be played by
lvl 1 characters?

> Makes the fights with billions of kobolds much more enjoyable.

The kobolds weren't much of a problem. The elementals are. Defeating the
first one was awful, and then it turned out that there are three more
of those. And I can't sneak around them, and they're immune to sneak
attacks. Useful class I chose.

mcv.