Sign in with
Your question

WRT54G v8.2: Bought A Used One, Cannot Connect To The 'Net, Need Help!

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
February 5, 2013 2:27:58 AM

I saw this posted on another site, I am leaving the title the same as on the original posting, and I'm also having the same issue, I also bought it used. I would've bought the wired one instead, but I have a feeling it may have had the same problem as this one. I can't return it for an exchange, because the place sucks and 100% of the time they just put the electronics on the shelf and put a sticker on it marked "As Is". So here is the post:

I bought a used WRT54G v8.2, I can connect to the control panel with no problem, but other than that my PC refuses to see the 'Net connection.

I connect the modem to the router's WAN port, and then the router to my PC using port 1, the connection between the PC and the router is working, but not between the PC and the 'Net, although the router's 'Net access light is on and solid, so it seems the router is seeing the 'Net, but Windows can't seem to see past the router.

All the lights that are supposed to be on, are on, there doesn't seem to be an issue, but obviously there is one.

I've tried doing a reset using the button on the back of the router, I've also tried doing a factory reset through the control panel. But I still have no 'Net access.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

More about : wrt54g bought connect net

February 5, 2013 12:44:26 PM

Try all the various LAN ports as I've had a couple go out on 54Gs.

Since you cannot return it and it may or may not have a problem, I would flash the latest beta 13064 dd-wrt firmware (which I would do anyway if I knew it worked well). You can get it from HERE, just type in the model and click on the line with v8.2. You can get the firmware, tools, and other support stuff. Just be absolutely sure that the power stays on during the flash, just like a computer bios. That may fix you issue and it is great firmware.
m
l
February 5, 2013 2:47:05 PM

Well, I finally got the damn thing working, not really sure what I did....

I do have a question:

Should I turn UPNP off, seeing as now -- although UPNP has been known to have security issues approx. 10yrs ago -- there's some big hoopla about it's insecurity?

On a side note: I'm still wondering if I should install DD-WRT, seeing as how the router is not even in warranty anymore, and I am not going to pay Linksys-- sorry, I should say Belkin -- for post warranty issues.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2013 4:00:09 PM

Yes, I would turn off UPNP. I would also flash to DD-WRT.
m
l
February 8, 2013 11:12:09 PM

And how do you flash this router with DD-WRT, because the people over on the DD-WRT forums are not forthcoming at all, and never want to answer questions from new users, etc.
m
l
February 9, 2013 12:43:23 AM

There are great tutorials on wiki for using dd-wrt, and also very good instructions on flashing your firmware, like THIS.
m
l
February 9, 2013 2:14:19 AM

I am posting the following again, because it's obvious I would've already tried reading the *** they call 'tutorials' on that site, and I have posted in the forum, and they -- like you -- don't want to give an answer and just keep repeating the same drivel!:

And how do you flash this router with DD-WRT, because the people over on the DD-WRT forums are not forthcoming at all, and never want to answer questions from new users, etc.
m
l
February 9, 2013 10:00:43 AM

According to a post on the DD-WRT forum, you can't do that anymore with this router.
m
l
February 9, 2013 1:23:58 PM

Cy-Kill said:
I am posting the following again, because it's obvious I would've already tried reading the *** they call 'tutorials' on that site, and I have posted in the forum, and they -- like you -- don't want to give an answer and just keep repeating the same drivel!:

I am not going to rewrite and post the entire step by step that has already been developed, but if you are unwilling to make any effort then stay with what you have. I've found the posters on the dd-wrt boards to be very helpful if you read everything pertinent to your router and have a specific question, but no they won't spoon feed you either.
m
l
!