Final Fantasy XI or Dark Age of Camelot

I mentioned to someone that I was playing Final Fantasy XI and he actually
seemed offended, as if I'd commited some kind of horrible crime against the
online RPG genre. He said Dark Age of Camelot is the best one out right
now.

So to those of you who have played both, which do you prefer and why?

I'm a long-time Final Fantasy fan, and while the online version is vastly
different from the offline versions, I still have that comfort of being
familiar with various aspects of the game. For example, I once tried
playing Pool of Radiance and found that I was croaking so often it just
became a frustrating nightmare. I did eventually get a handle on things,
however, though I still prefer Final Fantasy for some reasons, though Pool
of Radiance has other things I like. Just seems so much easier to die in
that one. The main problem I have with Pool of Radiance, too, is with the
magic users. Several levels in, the only thing that goon can cast, IIRC,
is a freaking fireball or something. How about some variety, please? Final
Fantasy black mages can cast your fireballs, lightning bolts, and other
elemental spells, as well as poison and other things.

Now one thing I could accept, and which would be really cool, is some sort
of "magic school" where you read a scroll and at first, you just know the
spell on paper. It doesn't actually do any damage. You have to practice
the spell, perhaps at the school first and get a little skill before you
can actually use it effectively in battle. I can accept that kind of
realism better than reading a scroll or levelinging up and suddenly knowing
how to do 150hp of damage with a fire spell.

Plus, I think the Final Fantasy concept of Cure 1, Cure 2, Cure 3, Cure 4,
etc... is just dumb. Just have Cure. That's it. Let the player level up
that Cure spell until he can cast it for the same MP cost for better and
better cures. Isn't that what skill is all about? That's another dumb
thing I've noticed... Cure spells in Final Fantasy XI are actually capped!
The best you can get out of a Cure 1 spell is 30HP, and rarely 33HP if your
stats are high enough. What's the point of this cap??? Black mages aren't
crippled with this same cap. As their skill increases, their black magic
does more and more damage. The same should be true for white mages. I
picked a race that has the stats to cast the most powerful white magic
spells, but the cures are capped. God, that is so dumb!

IMHO,
--
Final Fantasy XI
Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server

Actually City of Heroes is better than those 2 imho, at least WAY more
fun, and it's like you describe, instead of having Cure 1 Cure 2 Cure
3, you just have Cure and it improves with time

In article <kg4c21557cr0a16jp1272iel0jgrohqinn@4ax.com>, no-
mail@hotmail.invalid.net says...
> I mentioned to someone that I was playing Final Fantasy XI and he actually
> seemed offended, as if I'd commited some kind of horrible crime against the
> online RPG genre. He said Dark Age of Camelot is the best one out right
> now.
>
> So to those of you who have played both, which do you prefer and why?

If you just have to have FF in a game, get FF, otherwise DAoC is the
better game (of the two) in every single category.

1. DAoC has less of a grind.
2. You *can* solo in DAoC. While it's not optimal, it can be done.
Forget even trying in FFXI after level 13-20 (depending on your
profession).
3. DAoC's graphics are a million times better.
4. DAoC's gameplay actually involves some tactics.
5. DAoC has very good, semi-meaningful RvR (Realm vs. Realm, aka PvP)

There is literally nothing done better in FFXI. It's one of the worst
games I've ever played.

--
Rob Berryhill

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Rob Berryhill
<rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> posted on Thu, 3 Mar 2005 01:16:47 -0600:

> There is literally nothing done better in FFXI. It's one of the worst
> games I've ever played.

Well, I think it's fun and all, but there are some quests I can't even
complete because I'm too weak. I found out that one quest, for success,
requires an alliance of parties. Something like 18 to 24 players are
required to complete the task.

Don't get me wrong. I really love FFXI, especially the player
interactivity. It's all I've done with my spare time since I bought the
game.
--
Final Fantasy XI
Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
Level 18 Elvaan Warrior
Level 13 Elvaan Thief
Level 11 Elvaan White Mage
Level 04 Elvaan Black Mage

Damaeus ala Windblade <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> once tried to test me
with:

>> 1. World of Warcraft (best. game. evar.)
>
> I'll check into that one. Thanks. Can it be played solo??? I have
> nothing against forming parties, but I don't want it to be a necessity as
> it is with FFXI.

Yes, its very soloable.

Not every single piece of content will be available to a solo player but
you can definitely make it to 60 (max level) without grouping if that's how
you prefer to play.

--

Knight37

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> posted on
5 Mar 2005 02:34:17 GMT:

> Not every single piece of content will be available to a solo player but
> you can definitely make it to 60 (max level) without grouping if that's how
> you prefer to play.

I like doing both, actually. I like building experience by myself, in my
own way, and I also enjoy doing things as a team, even if the monsters we
face don't really require a party. Not all party members have to engage.
The cool thing is that parties may want to split up to do things faster.
Three take path A and three take path B or whatever. :)
--
Final Fantasy XI
Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
Level 18 Elvaan Warrior
Level 13 Elvaan Thief
Level 11 Elvaan White Mage
Level 07 Elvaan Black Mage
Level 08 Elvaan Red Mage

Windblade <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> once tried to test me with:

>> Not every single piece of content will be available to a solo player
>> but you can definitely make it to 60 (max level) without grouping if
>> that's how you prefer to play.
>
> I like doing both, actually. I like building experience by myself, in
> my own way, and I also enjoy doing things as a team, even if the
> monsters we face don't really require a party. Not all party members
> have to engage. The cool thing is that parties may want to split up to
> do things faster. Three take path A and three take path B or whatever.
> :)

In World of Warcraft the "instanced" dungeons have something called "Elite"
mobs, which are mobs that are extremely tough for their level. So if you
were say level 20, you would probably get pwned by a level 20 elite, or if
you managed to kill it you'd just barely kill it and you'd need to rest
afterward, and any "adds" would be a sure-fire trip back from the
graveyard. So generally you need groups to do the instanced dungeons,
unless you're way over-leveled for that particular dungeon.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> posted on
6 Mar 2005 16:16:06 GMT:

> In World of Warcraft the "instanced" dungeons have something called "Elite"
> mobs, which are mobs that are extremely tough for their level. So if you
> were say level 20, you would probably get pwned by a level 20 elite, or if
> you managed to kill it you'd just barely kill it and you'd need to rest
> afterward, and any "adds" would be a sure-fire trip back from the
> graveyard. So generally you need groups to do the instanced dungeons,
> unless you're way over-leveled for that particular dungeon.

Long time for a reply, but if you check my sig, you'll see I've been busy.
Fighting a battle that requires a weapon skill and a "2hr" job ability, and
that leaves me with 12 HP and 2 MP might be very sastifying to survive, but
it's not really the way I like to fight! LOL

I was in a party a couple of nights ago as a white mage. There was me,
four Beastmasters and a Warrior. First battle, two people died. Second
battle, I died and so did another person, but that one was my fault. I
accidentally paralyzed a thread leech, which was not our target. Square
needs an F* button to target only the party's current engagement, not just
the "closest" monster. So one has to be careful using that when there are
a lot of other mobs floating around.
--
Final Fantasy XI
Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
Level 18 Elvaan Warrior
Level 18 Elvaan Thief
Level 20 Elvaan White Mage
Level 18 Elvaan Black Mage