svenborg

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Question.....If I build a pc to hook to my tv (50" Toshiba HDTV) what can I expect for dvd playback on the tv. I intend to use component video connection to the tv...as I do now from my exixting 3yr old RCA DVD player. I had been toying with the idea of buying a progressive scan DVD player to improve the video quality of dvd movie playback but i'm wondering if DVD playback from a DVD ROM will be as good as the progressive scan playback. Is this a factor of DVD playing software for the DVD ROM.....or a combination of this and the video card (ATI 8500DV). Anyhoo...thanks for your help in advance.

BrayPowell

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
I have the same question as you do and would like an answer from someone who has actual experience.

I have no experience as I am waiting for my HDTV to arrive, but I have done research.

First, a DVD ROM typically provides no output external to the PC; if you are to attempt to match the quality, component output is required.
Second, I do not know whether the ATI 8500DV comes with component output. My ATI AIW 9700 did come with component output through the TV out port. I do not think it can actual provide output at the better HDTV equivalent quality levels as the TV out on the card has limited resolution capabilities.
Third, ATI sells an HDTV Component Video adapter that adapts the monitor out signals to provide a variety of HDTV quality signals.
Finally, with respect to this adapter ATI's FAQs state that "DVD playback is supported in 480i and 480p modes due to Macrovision restrictions." As you may know, Macrovision refers to the industry's standards implemented for copy protection purposes for DVDs. This statement implies that the best quality attainable because of these standards for any compliant device will be 480p, therefore implying that the ATI card can provide the same quality output as the best DVD player.

The questions I am left with are:
1) Does this ATI adapter and related software work ? Does it produce the quality it promises ?
2) Does the DVD ROM matter ? Can a low end DVD ROM do the job ?

All the above only addresses the video quality, audio will need to be addressed also...

svenborg

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Thanks for your respnose. The 8500 DV does not have a component outlet...but you are correct about the compnent dongle. I was planning to buy the dongle if I go this route. As you say...it would be nice to have someone who has a system like this working and can give actual results and first hand observations. As for the sound I was hoping it to be possible to go from the back of an Audigy into my digital theatre amp...and run the sound out thru my existing surround system. Again...first hand experience would really be nice on this matter as well. One can only hope...)

BrayPowell

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
I do not know if we will get an answer.
Beyond people that test systems, I doubt there are many that tried both a progressive scan DVD player and an ATI card with an HDTV.

I have a feeling that the ATI product will provide a picture better than some players but worse than the better ones. I have attached a link to a CNET review to one of their favorites. (http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342369-1305-6145314-1.html?tag=rating) From a video perspective, they focus on line-doubling capabilities which they say varies from player to player.

What you may lose with the computer route is the connectivty features (but do you need them). In addition, the DVD features could be less; the ATI remote has a limited range.
On the other hand, the computer gives you a lot more than just a DVD. You get another TV tuner but with DVR. You can use it for video transfers. It includes video editing software...

As for the sound, you should be in good shape, particularly if you use digital connections. (The ATI card has digital output also, but obviously your Audigy would be better.)
With sound, you will need to consider the noise level of your computer. There's an article somewhere on Tom's Hardware where the author described the effort he made to create a silent system.

Echto_Gammut

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
Check the reviews here <A HREF="http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html" target="_new">http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html</A>
They have a great write up on PC DVD vs. stand-alone dvd players. My personal experience when hooking up my PC to my Panasonic DLP, is that the image quality is as good if not better in some cases than a stand-alone dvd player. You will need to modify your registry so that your video card outputs at your TV's support resolution ratio.

If I paid as much attention to people as I do computers I would be married.