Planescape, losing interest after Ravel. Possible spoilers

There may be spoilers here (I have no idea how far into the game I am)
so some of you may want to skip this...)

I dug up PS:T after seeing a lot of good thigns mentioned about it
here. I bought it a long time ago and just never got around to playing
it. Even being dated, I was drawn in right away by a very intriguing
storyline. I have been *dying* to find out who the Nameless one is and
have this story wrapped up and for the most part I have enjoyed it.
Especially the Tomb: "Dont trust the Skull" was classic :)

I just got finished with Ravel, and I am slowly losing interest. I am
tempted to just go find some spoilers to find out what the heck is
going on here. I enjoy watching the plot unfold, but I feel like it is
going like this:

- quest to find someone who might have the answers for the Nameless
one.
- found him, he sends me off on another quest but still doenst have
answers.
- off to someone else for answers, think I am getting close but its
another diversion.

- Ah, Ravel must have the answer. Nope, some green Ent-looking thing
shows up and its a pretty good bet I have to find *him* too...

I love the story so far and maybe this is just my impatience getting
the better of me, but how many more people do I have to track down to
get anywhere?

Am I anywhere close to the end of this maze?

I just got into Curst and found myself wondering if I want to continue
chasing down leads that turn out to be just one step closer to the
goal...

What can change the nature of a man? I really want to know!!!
34 answers Last reply
More about planescape losing interest ravel spoilers

    SPOILER SPACE

    tonij67@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Especially the Tomb: "Dont trust the Skull" was classic :)

    Yes, the first time I read that the hair stood up on the back of my
    neck. I got the shivers. My first few times through the game I always
    abandoned Morte at the tomb, just because I was so freaked out about
    what he would do if I kept him.

    > - Ah, Ravel must have the answer. Nope, some green Ent-looking thing
    > shows up and its a pretty good bet I have to find *him* too...

    Yes. But don't be sad. That green Ent-looking thing is pretty damn
    interesting. He is the ultimate thing you are after. I don't want to
    give away too much, but suffice to say that he's tied to you somehow.

    > Am I anywhere close to the end of this maze?

    I think you are. Personally, I always found PS:T to be short. Which is
    good, because I'm never able to finish games that take longer than 30-40
    hours to complete. I bet you're two-thirds complete.

    > I just got into Curst and found myself wondering if I want to continue
    > chasing down leads that turn out to be just one step closer to the
    > goal...

    Suprisingly, considering that PS:T is allegedly all about the story, you
    are now into the part of the game that is all about fighting. You'll
    fight an Angel; you'll probably have to kill a lot of bad guys to
    reclaim a city that has fallen into chaos. Then you're going to fight a
    LOT of shadows, or you're going to run for your life. In fact, I found
    THAT moment to be very much like the "Don't trust the skull" moment --
    when I got into the fortress and TNO says "This is it" as the music
    swells and shadows slowly start coming toward me, I could feel the
    energy. It was another freak-out moment.

    > What can change the nature of a man? I really want to know!!!

    Sadly, I don't think you can get the best endings with most character
    builds. You'll need at least a 19 INT and 19 WIS, I think. Most people
    don't make characters like that on their first try. It's not all bad,
    though. With a real brainy character you get a lot of answers, a lot of
    backstory; but with a brawny character, you'll get to kick ass.

    (I have to admit that while the end story was a revelation to me, and I
    replayed to get something like 5 or 6 different endings, the one ending
    where TNO decided to fight and started casting all the huge spells, that
    was AWESOME. All the spell effects -- the big animations, the music --
    made it clear TNO had become nearly a god. It was great.)

    --
    http://www.outshine.com/
    http://www.respectthepublicdomain.org/

    Anthony Boyd <usenet@outshine.com> writes:

    > SPOILER SPACE

    > Suprisingly, considering that PS:T is allegedly all about the story,
    > you are now into the part of the game that is all about fighting.

    After meeting Ravel, the game changes tone for sure. Instead of a lot
    of endless little quests, it becomes more action oriented and the pace
    really picks up. Which is disappointing to those who liked the pace
    so far, but good news for those who are getting tired and want the
    story to pick up.

    > Sadly, I don't think you can get the best endings with most
    > character builds. You'll need at least a 19 INT and 19 WIS, I
    > think. Most people don't make characters like that on their first
    > try.

    I don't think you need both that high, just one or the other.
    Even a super high charisma will get your the good ending. The
    real trick is to follow the dialogue trees just right. Definately
    save before the final confrontation so that all three(?) endings
    can be tried out (well three ending animations anyway, there are
    more than three ways to get there).

    Also, it is not that hard to get those stats that high. Remember
    that there are a lot of really nice tattoos for sale. There are
    plenty of levels to gain in the last area itself, so extra stats
    points can be obtained then to help correct a character who was
    built the wrong way.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    "Look here. There's a crop circle in my ficus!" -- The Tick

    tonij67@hotmail.com once tried to test me with:

    > Am I anywhere close to the end of this maze?

    Yeah, I'd estimate you're at least halfway done and more like 2/3 done.

    > I just got into Curst and found myself wondering if I want to continue
    > chasing down leads that turn out to be just one step closer to the
    > goal...

    Curst is kind of a strange part of the game, it didn't seem all that
    relevant to the main plot BUT...it's pretty cool in and of itself, the end
    of the Curst sequence is very cool.

    > What can change the nature of a man? I really want to know!!!

    I won't spoil that for you. :)

    The ending to the game is fantastic. Even if you decide you can't be arsed
    to finish the game I recommend getting a hold of a save game that starts at
    the beginning of the Fortress of Regret and play the ending(s). I might can
    dig one up, maybe. Not sure if I backed that up or not.

    But you'll miss some cool scenes. The game becomes much more linear from
    this point on than pre-Ravel. Also there is quite a bit more combat and it
    gets harder. Remember that you can almost always just RUN AWAY if you don't
    want to fight.

    --

    Knight37

    Mean_Chlorine wrote:
    > Thusly Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> Spake Unto All:
    >
    > >I don't think you need both that high, just one or the other.
    >
    > I think you guys are dropping WAY too many and WAY too heavy hints to
    > a guy who's playing the game for the first time and just wants to
    know
    > how far through he is.

    No worries, I sort of asked for it by posting this in the first place
    :)

    Thanks for all the tips guys, I am going to keep slugging it out.

    Anthony Boyd <usenet@outshine.com> wrote:
    > SPOILER SPACE

    > tonij67@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Especially the Tomb: "Dont trust the Skull" was classic :)
    >
    > Yes, the first time I read that the hair stood up on the back of my
    > neck. I got the shivers. My first few times through the game I always
    > abandoned Morte at the tomb, just because I was so freaked out about
    > what he would do if I kept him.

    I was always a bit suspicious of him, but never abandoned him. But after
    the bit about his origin, I suddenly felt really ashamed. Can't recall
    the details, but I vaguely remember being a really horrible person.

    >> - Ah, Ravel must have the answer. Nope, some green Ent-looking thing
    >> shows up and its a pretty good bet I have to find *him* too...
    >
    > Yes. But don't be sad. That green Ent-looking thing is pretty damn
    > interesting. He is the ultimate thing you are after. I don't want to
    > give away too much, but suffice to say that he's tied to you somehow.

    I really need to play it again. I can't remember anything about the
    ent-looking thing. I do remember the angel, though.

    >> I just got into Curst and found myself wondering if I want to continue
    >> chasing down leads that turn out to be just one step closer to the
    >> goal...
    >
    > Suprisingly, considering that PS:T is allegedly all about the story, you
    > are now into the part of the game that is all about fighting. You'll
    > fight an Angel; you'll probably have to kill a lot of bad guys to
    > reclaim a city that has fallen into chaos. Then you're going to fight a
    > LOT of shadows, or you're going to run for your life. In fact, I found
    > THAT moment to be very much like the "Don't trust the skull" moment --
    > when I got into the fortress and TNO says "This is it" as the music
    > swells and shadows slowly start coming toward me, I could feel the
    > energy. It was another freak-out moment.

    I can remember everything about the start of the game, but nothing
    whatsoever about the ending. I do remember loving everything before
    Ravel, and suddenly being railroaded into a lineair storyline after
    Ravel. And a lot of demons, hell an angel, and a prison.

    >> What can change the nature of a man? I really want to know!!!
    >
    > Sadly, I don't think you can get the best endings with most character
    > builds. You'll need at least a 19 INT and 19 WIS, I think. Most people
    > don't make characters like that on their first try.

    I did have very high Int and Wis, but I can't remember the end being
    that great. I really need to replay this game, it seems.

    > It's not all bad,
    > though. With a real brainy character you get a lot of answers, a lot of
    > backstory; but with a brawny character, you'll get to kick ass.

    Combat is usually (in my experience) easy enough that you don't need
    a kick ass character anyway. Go for high Int and Wis.

    > (I have to admit that while the end story was a revelation to me, and I
    > replayed to get something like 5 or 6 different endings, the one ending
    > where TNO decided to fight and started casting all the huge spells, that
    > was AWESOME. All the spell effects -- the big animations, the music --
    > made it clear TNO had become nearly a god. It was great.)

    5 or 6 different endings? Now I know I really missed out.

    mcv.

    Thusly tonij67@hotmail.com Spake Unto All:

    >Am I anywhere close to the end of this maze?

    Since you're in Curst - yeah, you're fairly close to the end of the
    maze. I'd say you're about 3/4 - 4/5ths through.

    You've got a real treat waiting around the bend, too.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

    mcv <mcvmcv@xs3.xs4all.nl> writes:

    > Combat is usually (in my experience) easy enough that you don't need
    > a kick ass character anyway. Go for high Int and Wis.

    There are a few places where the combat would seem very difficult
    to me. The crypts early on where you're still very low level
    (this could be delayed until later), the UnderSigil, the Modron
    Cube, and the return to Curst (not too bad, except for the chaotic
    feel, respawning, and needing to rush things so keep people alive).

    The "boss" fights were pretty easy though and well balanced.
    More games should do it this way instead of insisting on
    ridiculously difficult battles that require lots of reloading.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Support your right to own gnus.

    Thusly Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> Spake Unto All:

    >There are a few places where the combat would seem very difficult
    >to me. The crypts early on where you're still very low level
    >(this could be delayed until later), the UnderSigil, the Modron
    >Cube, and the return to Curst (not too bad, except for the chaotic
    >feel, respawning, and needing to rush things so keep people alive).

    UnderSigil and the Modron Cube are tough, but one can take them
    anytime one wants (and in the case of UnderSigil also get out anytime
    one wants); Curst isn't that hard IMO it's just, as you say, chaotic
    and tries to stress you.

    As an aside the replayability of this game is outstanding. I just
    replayed it for the fifth time, I've always played a good character
    (just can't bring myself to play evil in games), and I *still* find
    new stuff. Not much new stuff, but still. And I've even once played
    through it with Desslocks walkthrough to e.g. see all the solutions to
    problems like the Silent King.

    And I still am troubled by the morality of dealing with the Baatezu
    cannon and its human shields.

    If only it supported changing resolution.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Well I stuck it out and am now in the Fortress of Regrets. After a few
    fruitless tries I am wondering if I am even strong enough. I have
    Morte, Anah, Vailhor, Grace and Dakron. TNO is a mage, level 14, AC
    is -5 . I am wondering if I should drop some of the party members and
    go get some more exp; what I am finding in the fortress is I run out of
    spells too quickly; I have some level 8 an 9 spells but I cant use them
    yet. I cant find any level 6 or 7 spells either.

    So what I am wondering is, if I should go back to Curst where all the
    monsters keep respawning, drop some party members (I am thinking of
    Anah, who is totally worthlessl she is always getting killed) and maybe
    Vaihlor, or grace. Or all 3)

    Would that be a better option for me? I am going on about round 6 of
    making it past the shadows in the Fortress, I just cant seem to get
    past those guys.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Yikes. I think I was level 20 when I hit Fortress. ANd it was hard
    for me.
    > One thing you can do is you can be all three classes as TNO and it
    may be
    > that Fighter or Thief works better in the fortress. I think I was
    fighter
    > actually. When you switch classes by talking to Dakron (or Annah for
    thief)
    > it still remembers your current class at your current level, so you
    could
    > be fighter 20, Mage 20, Thief 20, but only access the abilities of
    ONE of
    > the classes at a time depending on which class you are currently set
    for.

    20?? I must have missed a lot of quests or something.

    > I used Annah to great effect, she would be stealthed, run up and
    backstab,
    > then run away, wait for the monster to lose interest, stealth,
    backstab,
    > repeat.

    I could never, ever get this to work. Whenever I try to stealth her,
    if there is a monster anywhere on the screen it would fail. And her
    stealth was 105 by the time I just gave up and removed her from the
    party, I got tired of raising her all the time. Apparently I am
    missing something here...

    > I do think you're a bit low to be at the end game especially if
    you're JUST
    > a mage and don't have levels in any other classes.

    I dont get this, if I drop mage and train fighterm wont I be back at
    level 1 as a fighter?

    > --
    >
    > Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    >
    > Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    tonij67@hotmail.com writes:

    > Would that be a better option for me? I am going on about round 6 of
    > making it past the shadows in the Fortress, I just cant seem to get
    > past those guys.

    The shadows respawn I think, so you're never going to make it past
    them. Just keep running away until you figure out how to escape them,
    and don't get cornered so that you're forced to fight. There is one
    area a bit later where you can get a couple of levels of experience if
    you're smart or wise enough, and that may be enough to get you the
    level 8 and 9 spells.

    Those high level spells aren't all that useful, although they're
    interesting to see when they're cast because some have video
    sequences.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Laziness is the father of invention

    Bitstring <cu1zmxhn0so.fsf@nokia.com>, from the wonderful person Darin
    Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> said
    >tonij67@hotmail.com writes:
    >
    >> Would that be a better option for me? I am going on about round 6 of
    >> making it past the shadows in the Fortress, I just cant seem to get
    >> past those guys.
    >
    >The shadows respawn I think, so you're never going to make it past
    >them.

    They only respawn slowly IIRC - mind you I had the void fragment or
    whatever it's called, and some magic weapon, that let me knock them off
    fairly easily .. I was even looking for them to kill at one point. 8>.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

    GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> writes:

    > They only respawn slowly IIRC - mind you I had the void fragment or
    > whatever it's called, and some magic weapon, that let me knock them
    > off fairly easily ..

    Hmm, I had high fighter levels the last time, and the magic weapons,
    and they'd still overwhelm me if I wasn't careful. They were easy
    enough to pick off in ones or twos though.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    I'm not a well adjusted person, but I play one on the net.

    tonij67@hotmail.com once tried to test me with:

    > Well I stuck it out and am now in the Fortress of Regrets. After a few
    > fruitless tries I am wondering if I am even strong enough. I have
    > Morte, Anah, Vailhor, Grace and Dakron. TNO is a mage, level 14, AC
    > is -5 . I am wondering if I should drop some of the party members and
    > go get some more exp; what I am finding in the fortress is I run out of
    > spells too quickly; I have some level 8 an 9 spells but I cant use them
    > yet. I cant find any level 6 or 7 spells either.

    Yikes. I think I was level 20 when I hit Fortress. ANd it was hard for me.
    One thing you can do is you can be all three classes as TNO and it may be
    that Fighter or Thief works better in the fortress. I think I was fighter
    actually. When you switch classes by talking to Dakron (or Annah for thief)
    it still remembers your current class at your current level, so you could
    be fighter 20, Mage 20, Thief 20, but only access the abilities of ONE of
    the classes at a time depending on which class you are currently set for.

    Definitely be Mage though for the final battle. It rocks. :)

    > So what I am wondering is, if I should go back to Curst where all the
    > monsters keep respawning, drop some party members (I am thinking of
    > Anah, who is totally worthlessl she is always getting killed) and maybe
    > Vaihlor, or grace. Or all 3)

    I used Annah to great effect, she would be stealthed, run up and backstab,
    then run away, wait for the monster to lose interest, stealth, backstab,
    repeat.

    > Would that be a better option for me? I am going on about round 6 of
    > making it past the shadows in the Fortress, I just cant seem to get
    > past those guys.

    I do think you're a bit low to be at the end game especially if you're JUST
    a mage and don't have levels in any other classes.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    tonij67@hotmail.com once tried to test me with:

    > I dont get this, if I drop mage and train fighterm wont I be back at
    > level 1 as a fighter?

    You'll be at whatever level you were when you switched from fighter to
    mage. But you will level severely fast if you just let TNO leach xp off the
    rest of the group.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Well you guys will probably think i am crazy, complaining that its too
    hard one day, and the next...

    I finished!

    I couldnt bring myself to go "grind" somewhere, I get enough of that
    other games. So I pushed on in the fortress and once I realized I
    could just outrun the shadows I didnt fight any of them. It was pretty
    funny really, at one point there was this big blob of purple following
    me around :D

    The Maze of Reflections was very good, I really enjoyed that and it
    helped to clarify a lot of things. Once I got on the roof and saw my
    dead party members I have to admit I had a twinge of guilt. Funny how
    a game can do that to you, but it was just so well done, with the music
    and the storyline being so engrossing that I felt a connection to them
    and was sad to realize that it was my fault they were there. I decided
    to raise Morte first because I needed a tank to fight TTO. I had to
    laugh when he told me he was "faking" being dead...he is in character
    until the very end. I choose to raise Grace next, for buffs and
    healing but I soon found out that I had no chance against TTO, he
    wasted me in short order. The next time around I toook a diffferent
    route and unmade both of us (at least I THINK that is what happend...)

    What a fantastic game, I can't believe I waited this long to play it.
    Probably the most absorbing and creative storyline I have ever seen.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    tonij67@hotmail.com looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
    spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    <snip>

    >20?? I must have missed a lot of quests or something.

    Near the endgame there's a city overrun with demons (I think it's
    demons).
    You could level up endlessly there because the demons constantly
    respawn.
    Kill demons, go inside building, rest, come out and kill more demons.

    Xocyll
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly tonij67@hotmail.com Spake Unto All:

    >Well I stuck it out and am now in the Fortress of Regrets. After a few
    >fruitless tries I am wondering if I am even strong enough. I have
    >Morte, Anah, Vailhor, Grace and Dakron.

    You are in the Fortress of Regrets - and you've got your party with
    you?

    You mean they came through together with you but TNO is presently
    alone, right?

    Anyway - you don't have to fight the bad-guys, you can outrun them.
    Seriously. You know what to do, so lead them on a merry chase, do it,
    and don't let them surround you.

    If you find the going too tough, use the cloudkill spell, you'll find
    that works well to to keep them off your back while you do what you
    must.

    You're close to the end now.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly tonij67@hotmail.com Spake Unto All:

    >20?? I must have missed a lot of quests or something.

    Modron cube and undersigil, perhaps? They're optional, give lots of
    exp - and the badguys respawn.

    I think especially UnderSigil is basically in the game just to let
    gamers level higher.

    Unless you farm UnderSigil and/or the Modron Cube for a while, it's
    unlikely you'll get to see those 9th level spell animations.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    tonij67@hotmail.com once tried to test me with:

    > Well you guys will probably think i am crazy, complaining that its too
    > hard one day, and the next...
    >
    > I finished!
    >
    > I couldnt bring myself to go "grind" somewhere, I get enough of that
    > other games. So I pushed on in the fortress and once I realized I
    > could just outrun the shadows I didnt fight any of them. It was pretty
    > funny really, at one point there was this big blob of purple following
    > me around :D
    >
    > The Maze of Reflections was very good, I really enjoyed that and it
    > helped to clarify a lot of things. Once I got on the roof and saw my
    > dead party members I have to admit I had a twinge of guilt. Funny how
    > a game can do that to you, but it was just so well done, with the music
    > and the storyline being so engrossing that I felt a connection to them
    > and was sad to realize that it was my fault they were there. I decided
    > to raise Morte first because I needed a tank to fight TTO. I had to
    > laugh when he told me he was "faking" being dead...he is in character
    > until the very end. I choose to raise Grace next, for buffs and
    > healing but I soon found out that I had no chance against TTO, he
    > wasted me in short order. The next time around I toook a diffferent
    > route and unmade both of us (at least I THINK that is what happend...)
    >

    > What a fantastic game, I can't believe I waited this long to play it.
    > Probably the most absorbing and creative storyline I have ever seen.

    Congrats on finishing it. I have to agree, it's a fantastic game. Every RPG
    player owes it to himself to play this game. :)

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
    with:

    > Thusly tonij67@hotmail.com Spake Unto All:
    >
    >>20?? I must have missed a lot of quests or something.
    >
    > Modron cube and undersigil, perhaps? They're optional, give lots of
    > exp - and the badguys respawn.
    >
    > I think especially UnderSigil is basically in the game just to let
    > gamers level higher.
    >
    > Unless you farm UnderSigil and/or the Modron Cube for a while, it's
    > unlikely you'll get to see those 9th level spell animations.

    I spent a lot of time in the modron cube.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly tonij67@hotmail.com Spake Unto All:

    >What a fantastic game, I can't believe I waited this long to play it.
    >Probably the most absorbing and creative storyline I have ever seen.

    And it's got great replayability value. Unless you were playing
    walkthrough in hand, I can pretty much guarantee you've missed 1/2 of
    the content. And at least four endings.

    I'm of course officially a PS:T fanboi, but I don't know any rpg with
    as much replayability as PS:T.
    The third time through I used a walkthrough, and uncovered TONS of
    stuff I'd not seen my first two passes.

    But it's never as great as the first time. I remember the nasty shock
    at my first arrival at Fortress of Regrets, and the righteous ire: so
    help me, the guy who'd done this was going DOWN, if it was the last
    thing I did!

    Which it, as it turned out, was.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >Thusly tonij67@hotmail.com Spake Unto All:
    >
    >>What a fantastic game, I can't believe I waited this long to play it.
    >>Probably the most absorbing and creative storyline I have ever seen.
    >
    >And it's got great replayability value. Unless you were playing
    >walkthrough in hand, I can pretty much guarantee you've missed 1/2 of
    >the content. And at least four endings.

    SPOILERS

    Is it really fair to call it "four endings"? They're really the same
    ending, with a bit of different dialogue before the end.

    The only really different endings I can think of offhand are: 1)
    unmake yourself with the (mumble) or 2) Do penance in the Blood War
    for a few millenia.

    What you're calling different endings are really variants on #2,
    correct? Like: fight TNO by yourself and do penance, fight TNO with
    one companion and do penance, fight TNO with all your companions and
    do penance, talk TNO into merging with you... and do penance.

    In the end, it's still the same ending although you get better closure
    if you have your companions all alive.

    (I'm not complaining; it's the perfect ending. But it's still not
    really six different ones or whatever).

    -David
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine wrote:
    > Thusly tonij67@hotmail.com Spake Unto All:
    >
    >> What a fantastic game, I can't believe I waited this long to play it.
    >> Probably the most absorbing and creative storyline I have ever seen.
    >
    > And it's got great replayability value. Unless you were playing
    > walkthrough in hand, I can pretty much guarantee you've missed 1/2 of
    > the content. And at least four endings.

    On the strength of the recent threads, I'm replaying it for about the 6th
    time. I'm only just up to the Buried Village, and I'm still finding things I
    missed previously (the Dread Lim-Lim scene with the trainee wizards in the
    Alley of Dangerous Angles, for instance - I'd missed that building on
    previous plays).

    > I'm of course officially a PS:T fanboi, but I don't know any rpg with
    > as much replayability as PS:T.
    > The third time through I used a walkthrough, and uncovered TONS of
    > stuff I'd not seen my first two passes.
    >
    > But it's never as great as the first time. I remember the nasty shock
    > at my first arrival at Fortress of Regrets, and the righteous ire: so
    > help me, the guy who'd done this was going DOWN, if it was the last
    > thing I did!
    >
    > Which it, as it turned out, was.

    That's what I love about this game - its ability to evoke really heartfelt
    emotional responses even though you know it's 'only' a game. There's only a
    handful of others that even come close in that respect (System Shock springs
    to mind - single best game at making me take the villain really personally).

    --
    Mark.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:

    > Unless you farm UnderSigil and/or the Modron Cube for a while, it's
    > unlikely you'll get to see those 9th level spell animations.

    Not true. I never went farming and got the 9th level spells before
    the end of the game. Granted, I only got them just before the final
    encounter... The last time I played I stayed as a fighter until
    I got the second "bonus" for level, then switched to mage late
    and still got all the spell levels.

    Another place to look for some experience and extra spells as a mage
    is by talking to Dakkon if with enough wisdom and/or intelligence.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance -- Babylon 5

    tonij67@hotmail.com writes:

    > I choose to raise Grace next, for buffs and
    > healing but I soon found out that I had no chance against TTO, he
    > wasted me in short order.

    You can manage to raise all party members if you follow the
    conversation tree the right way.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Laziness is the father of invention
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote:
    >tonij67@hotmail.com writes:
    >
    >> I choose to raise Grace next, for buffs and
    >> healing but I soon found out that I had no chance against TTO, he
    >> wasted me in short order.
    >
    >You can manage to raise all party members if you follow the
    >conversation tree the right way.

    You can also avoid fighting at all if your int or wis is high enough.
    This is probably the "best" ending.

    -David
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> Spake Unto All:

    >> Unless you farm UnderSigil and/or the Modron Cube for a while, it's
    >> unlikely you'll get to see those 9th level spell animations.
    >
    >Not true. I never went farming and got the 9th level spells before
    >the end of the game. Granted, I only got them just before the final
    >encounter... The last time I played I stayed as a fighter until
    >I got the second "bonus" for level, then switched to mage late
    >and still got all the spell levels.

    Well, you obviously played more as wizard than I do. I *DO* farm
    UnderSigil and Modron Cube, and I've still only seen e.g. Infernal
    Fury or Celestial Host cut-scenes when I've really concentrated on the
    wizard aspect.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly David Bilek <dtbilek@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

    >What you're calling different endings are really variants on #2,
    >correct?

    Yes; I originally wrote "...depending on what one mean by 'different
    ending'", but decided to shorten the text a bit.

    To nitpick, however, there are two more endings (spoilers)...

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ....you can provoke Bones-of-the-Night into attacking you, and you can
    accept to become the Silent King.

    Well, sortof, anyway. The game certainly ends if you do either.

    --
    "Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
    -- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
    with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    David Bilek <dtbilek@comcast.net> writes:

    > You can also avoid fighting at all if your int or wis is high enough.
    > This is probably the "best" ending.

    There are two ways to avoid fighting, giving two different cut-scenes.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance -- Babylon 5
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >... and you can accept to become the Silent King.

    If you ingore the fact that you miss out on half the game if you go that
    route, I think actually that's the best of the endings.

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

    rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge) wrote:
    >Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>... and you can accept to become the Silent King.
    >
    >If you ingore the fact that you miss out on half the game if you go that
    >route, I think actually that's the best of the endings.

    I never accepted. Do you get a cool cutscene?

    -David
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    David Bilek <dtbilek@comcast.net> wrote:
    >I never accepted. Do you get a cool cutscene?

    Nope.

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU