Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 Gaming BSoDs - Any ideas?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 12, 2009 12:07:45 AM

I'm having a Windows 7-related gaming problem that's driving me slowly insane. Basically, any game will bluescreen and crash after 10-20 minutes of running. These are generally BAD_POOL_HEADER, IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN, or stop 0x08E messages, sometimes referencing a driver file or frequently now dxgmms1.sys.

Sometimes these BSoDs cause "cascading" bluescreens where I get another crash on reboot, and then another, and another...until the system eventually boots clean. It's driving me nuts.

You'd think this might be hardware-related right? So did I, but diagnostics turn up nothing and more to the point, I'm dual-booting Windows XP, which runs all the same games perfectly. I can play Fallout 3 for hours in XP, then fire it up in 7 and BOOM - crash. Same goes for Call of Duty 4, Empire: Total War, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, etc. All work in XP, all crash in 7 on the same hardware.

I've tried every driver package released by Nvidia for 7, plus some of the ones for Vista. Some are a little better than others, but all of them crash. I'm currently using the latest beta drivers: 186.08.

Anyone have some ideas? I can always reboot to play games, but i'd really like to fix whatever is causing these problems. At this point I don't even know where to continue looking.

Thanks for any help.

My Specs:
Athlon X2 4600+
Geforce 8800 GTS
4 GB RAM
Windows XP SP3/ Windows 7 RC 7100
June 12, 2009 5:52:28 AM

You're not alone, so far my Win7 gaming experience has been the worst of any OP/SYS yet, it makes Vista look like a pearl in a pile of POOP.

Cannot even configure Crysis or Crysis Warhead to run at high resolutions period, some freaky mouse pointer offset from the actual click point won't allow configuring the initial settings.

Tried everything so far, even compatability modes, game patches and fixes, no joy, and its really frustrating, maybe its just the games I'm trying to run on it, but those are the type games I'll be running in the future, but maybe not on Win7!
Score
June 12, 2009 6:13:06 AM

Sorry you guys are having issues. Ive yet to have any that caused a crash with the Beta or RC. I had the PDC build from forever ago, and that simply refused to run CoD5. While I hate to be the guy who asks, are you overclocking? Windows 7 is more demanding than XP because of Dx10, prefetching, more background processes/services, etc. I went from being able to run CoD4 on my 4850 at 725mhz core in XP, to currently running at 710mhz with the RC of Windows 7 ( I'm aware that it doesnt run Dx10, I just noticed it wouldnt play. Also had to enable dual video cards just to keep it from stuttering ) Did you grab the RC from MS or a torrent? There were more than a few torrents that shipped with malware.
Score
Related resources
June 12, 2009 4:59:55 PM

I think I might know why Windows7 is giving BSoD's when gaming...maybe because it's a FRIGGIN RELEASE CANDIDATE AND NOT THE ACTUAL RETAIL VERSION!!!!!!!!

WTF?!?!?!

I've got Win7 64bit and it games for crap...
Score
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2009 5:48:32 PM

Windows 7 may be in testing, but I have found it to work very well with flash player based applications. Like the quality of stupidity displayed in this fine instance is obvious. Be sure to plug in 12v power connector to the MB header to add power to the CPU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrdtXxzhBWA

Score
June 12, 2009 8:18:11 PM

chunkymonster said:
I think I might know why Windows7 is giving BSoD's when gaming...maybe because it's a FRIGGIN RELEASE CANDIDATE AND NOT THE ACTUAL RETAIL VERSION!!!!!!!!

WTF?!?!?!

I've got Win7 64bit and it games for crap...

It is the release version without nail polish on...and it's worked flawlessly for 95% of people (me included).
Score
June 12, 2009 8:44:25 PM

Just a suggestion here, but have you considered installing win7 on its own HDD? Ive read some stuff on various websites which talks about problems arising when dual booting xp/win7. Don't know why or if they are credible but its worth a try if you have a spare hdd.
Score
July 13, 2009 4:11:02 AM

There is supposed to be a built in VM like environment built into Windows 7 OS that they didn't have in Vista so you could run older applications and such in Windows XP mode. However, it doesn't work with some processors. The full list of chips includes all Celeron, Pentium Dual-Core, Pentium M, and Atom 270 and 280 CPUs, as well as certain versions of the Pentium D, Core, and Core 2 Duo. You can find the list here http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=946&pag...p;tag=mncol;txt I am assuming this is the gaming issue we're all having. So you have a few choices. 1: Dual boot and play games in XP. 2: Get two PC's, one to run video games using XP SP3 and one with Windows 7 on the other so you can drive yourself crazy and commit yourself to an asylum. 3: Wait for Google finishes their Linux based OS so you can stop using anything Windows related as a way of protesting. 4: Hope that Microsoft can pull their head out of their asses before the second coming (Don't hold your breath) and include all processors with the final release of Windows 7. I'm currently running Win7 RC2 and can only play half my games.
Score
July 13, 2009 1:27:44 PM

Damhnaic said:
There is supposed to be a built in VM like environment built into Windows 7 OS that they didn't have in Vista so you could run older applications and such in Windows XP mode. However, it doesn't work with some processors. The full list of chips includes all Celeron, Pentium Dual-Core, Pentium M, and Atom 270 and 280 CPUs, as well as certain versions of the Pentium D, Core, and Core 2 Duo. You can find the list here http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=946&pag...p;tag=mncol;txt I am assuming this is the gaming issue we're all having. So you have a few choices. 1: Dual boot and play games in XP. 2: Get two PC's, one to run video games using XP SP3 and one with Windows 7 on the other so you can drive yourself crazy and commit yourself to an asylum. 3: Wait for Google finishes their Linux based OS so you can stop using anything Windows related as a way of protesting. 4: Hope that Microsoft can pull their head out of their asses before the second coming (Don't hold your breath) and include all processors with the final release of Windows 7. I'm currently running Win7 RC2 and can only play half my games.

Windows Virtual PC has got nothing to do with Running games and this will have nothing to do with any BSoD and as for support for Windows Virtual PC this is down to if the CPU has hardware support for it and nothing to do with Microsoft supporting certain CPU's

Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2009 1:32:27 PM

Damhnaic said:

Google OS!!??! Don't make me laugh...

Apparently Google's partners aren't quite as enthused as you. Nobody's actually commited to "Doing" anything.
http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/pc-makers-less-u...

A little browsing tells us/me that it's basically the Chrome browser font ending an unnamed Linux distro. Doesn't exactly make it "Google's" OS now, does it?
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135342/Will_Goo...

Anand sound off, as well: http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=613 You should note a key sentence right here:

Quote:
The single most important thing to take from this announcement right now is just what Chrome OS will do. It won’t run an email client, it won’t run an office suite, and it won’t run games – it will only run Google Chrome. It’s Linux stripped to the bone, left with just enough to run Chrome, and nothing more.

So... If it can't run in a browser, then it can't run at all... And therefore your applications AND PERSONAL DATA would have to be On The Internet, and ostensibly under Googles's control.

Sorry guys - If you're looking for your Microsoft~Killer, this clearly ain't "It" since it won't even do what any Linux distro you care to name will. And if you value your privacy at all, I'd recommend in the strongest terms you stay the hell away from Google OS.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2009 1:51:46 PM

And please note that many of the ones who spend so much energy screaming about DRM appear to be the exact same mind~bogglingly stupid morons who would actually support handing their personal data over to a company like Google. These guys make a living selling information about you, your browsing habits, and your purchasing habits to other corporations. Anything and everything you give to them, they absolutely WILL turn around and sell to any company willing to pay the going rate.

And you'd be dumb enough hand it to them for no other reason than it's "For Free" and "Not Microsoft".

Idiots.
Score
July 13, 2009 1:59:40 PM

Are we having fun yet?
Score
!