Looking for something like City of Heroes, but not MMORPG

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

My boys bought City of Heroes and then I had to take it back, because
they had not realized that it was a MMORPG and could not be played on
our LAN or as a single-player game (I wasn't with them when they
bought it).

Can any of y'all recommend a game that would let the boys play as
super-heroes, preferably in multiplayer mode over our LAN, or at least
single-player on one machine?

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-03-02, John <reply@newsgroup.please.com> wrote:
> My boys bought City of Heroes and then I had to take it back, because
> they had not realized that it was a MMORPG and could not be played on
> our LAN or as a single-player game (I wasn't with them when they
> bought it).
>
> Can any of y'all recommend a game that would let the boys play as
> super-heroes, preferably in multiplayer mode over our LAN, or at least
> single-player on one machine?

"Freedom Force 2" also "Freedom Force" although that one is a bit
dated.

John <reply@newsgroup.please.com> wrote in

> Can any of y'all recommend a game that would let the boys play as
> super-heroes, preferably in multiplayer mode over our LAN, or at least
> single-player on one machine?

I think one was called "Freedom Force".
You might want to pick it up cheap (ebay or something) since if I remember
right I did enjoy but not for very long. Very short solo play.

Gandalf Parker

John <reply@newsgroup.please.com> once tried to test me with:

> My boys bought City of Heroes and then I had to take it back, because
> they had not realized that it was a MMORPG and could not be played on
> our LAN or as a single-player game (I wasn't with them when they
> bought it).
>
> Can any of y'all recommend a game that would let the boys play as
> super-heroes, preferably in multiplayer mode over our LAN, or at least
> single-player on one machine?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

About the only other superhero game there is is Freedom Force. It does have
multiplayer but I'm not sure if it has cooperative multiplayer (I'm
thinking it does but I can't remember for certain).

Also coming out very soon now is Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich, the
sequel to Freedom Force. Supposed to have better multiplayer options
according to their web site. Here's where you can get the info on all
things Freedom Force-ish:

http://www.freedomfans.com/

Note that FF is as much a strategy game as it is an RPG.

--

Knight37

You sure you don't want City of Heroes? It's the best MMORPG I've
ever played, highly fun!

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On 3 Mar 2005 01:32:40 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>About the only other superhero game there is is Freedom Force. It does have
>multiplayer but I'm not sure if it has cooperative multiplayer (I'm
>thinking it does but I can't remember for certain).
>
>Also coming out very soon now is Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich, the
>sequel to Freedom Force. Supposed to have better multiplayer options
>according to their web site. Here's where you can get the info on all
>things Freedom Force-ish:
>
>http://www.freedomfans.com/
>
>Note that FF is as much a strategy game as it is an RPG.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:18:55 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>"Freedom Force 2" also "Freedom Force" although that one is a bit
>dated.

Thanks.

John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

In article <3ckc21tpgb5977j9lkuv2o9s7o5h18ecv1@4ax.com>, John wrote:
> My boys bought City of Heroes and then I had to take it back,
> because they had not realized that it was a MMORPG and could
> not be played on our LAN or as a single-player game (I wasn't
> with them when they bought it).
>
> Can any of y'all recommend a game that would let the boys play
> as super-heroes, preferably in multiplayer mode over our LAN,
> or at least single-player on one machine?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

"Freedom Force" is the only other option, if you want
superheroes. Its multiplayer reportedly stinks, as even its
producers now admit.

It's a very good production. But the gameplay was too fiddly for
me.

--
Neil Cerutti

Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> writes:

> There's a game called Hero X which was kinda lousy, but
> there just aren't any superhero games out there so it
> might be worth looking at.

Yeah, it was really lousy. Freedom Force was fun, but
Hero X felt like a chore to play.

--
Darin Johnson
"Look here. There's a crop circle in my ficus!" -- The Tick

On 3 Mar 2005 07:23:28 -0800, wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:

>You sure you don't want City of Heroes? It's the best MMORPG I've
>ever played, highly fun!

You really shouldn't snip context when you reply to other postings. If you
didn't, then you'd notice that he said that he cannot play it as
Singleplayer or on a LAN - which is generally an absolute requirement.

Besides, not everyone has broadband.

"John" <reply@newsgroup.please.com> wrote in message
> My boys bought City of Heroes and then I had to take it back, because
> they had not realized that it was a MMORPG and could not be played on
> our LAN or as a single-player game (I wasn't with them when they
> bought it).

Get the X-men game on the X-box, or Freedom Force

In article <j6nf215gq7ub4lghp761cb58ej2a6td61b@4ax.com>, Raymond Martineau wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2005 07:23:28 -0800, wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>You sure you don't want City of Heroes? It's the best MMORPG
>>I've ever played, highly fun!
>
> You really shouldn't snip context when you reply to other
> postings. If you didn't, then you'd notice that he said that
> he cannot play it as Singleplayer or on a LAN - which is
> generally an absolute requirement.
>
> Besides, not everyone has broadband.

They *could* all play together on a the LAN, but it would cost
$29.99 + $14.95/mo for each son that wanted to play. That could
be more than the OP wants to spend.

--
Neil Cerutti

TRENDING THREADS