Soundforge showed video in Win98, doesn't in XP

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
January 5, 2005 5:59:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

When I fooled around with tweaking the sound track on avi files with
Soundforge on my Win98SE machine, I made the discovery that it actually
played the video in this segmented "video strip" at the top. However, it
isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing codec or the like and
just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to add to get this function up
and running in XP?

Thanks for any assistance.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:59:27 AM

Doc wrote:
> When I fooled around with tweaking the sound track on avi files with
> Soundforge on my Win98SE machine, I made the discovery that it
> actually played the video in this segmented "video strip" at the top.
> However, it isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing
> codec or the like and just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to
> add to get this function up and running in XP?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

Is this a file from a digital camera? If so, you'll need to convert it to
something else. I've had good luck using TMPGEnc and converting it to an
mpeg or using VirtualDub and re-converting it to an avi using a codec like
HuffYUV. HTH.

Mike
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:43:54 AM

"Doc" wrote in message
>It isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing codec or the like
and
> just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to add to get this function
up
> and running in XP?

What Ver of SF are you using? There are codecs available on the Sony Media
site that might work. But that is a little ahead of the game. IF the Video
file is the same one that played in Win98, try the following: Right click
the SF Icon, choose the tab marked *Compatibility* and under *Compatibility
Mode* check the box that says *Run this program....*, then choose the
*Win98/ME* mode. Try that.
Related resources
January 5, 2005 9:59:33 AM

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Is this a file from a digital camera?

No, analog captured to avi.
January 5, 2005 10:00:51 AM

"Nathan West" <natewest@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> "Doc" wrote in message
> >It isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing codec or the like
> and
> > just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to add to get this function
> up
> > and running in XP?
>
> What Ver of SF are you using?

5.0

> There are codecs available on the Sony Media
> site that might work. But that is a little ahead of the game. IF the Video
> file is the same one that played in Win98, try the following: Right click
> the SF Icon, choose the tab marked *Compatibility* and under
*Compatibility
> Mode* check the box that says *Run this program....*, then choose the
> *Win98/ME* mode. Try that.

Will give it a try.
January 5, 2005 10:05:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Nathan West" <natewest@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> choose the tab marked *Compatibility* and under *Compatibility
> Mode* check the box that says *Run this program....*, then choose the
> *Win98/ME* mode. Try that.

Nope, still gives the message "the video cannot be displayed because there
is not a compatible decompressor on this computer"
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 12:02:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Have you tried running the program in Compatibility mode? If you haven't
tried, or are unfamiliar. Navigate to the folder where Sound Forge exists,
find the programs' .exe file, right click on it and from the Compatibility
tab choose Windows 98. If you are using the exact same capture card as you
did in 98 it should work, unless there was some update to the driver for XP
in which case running the Sound Forge in compatibility mode may not help at
all.

"Doc" <docsavage20@xyahoo.com> wrote in message
> When I fooled around with tweaking the sound track on avi files with
> Soundforge on my Win98SE machine, I made the discovery that it actually
> played the video in this segmented "video strip" at the top. However, it
> isn't doing it in XP, says something about a missing codec or the like and
> just displays hash marks. How/what do I need to add to get this function
up
> and running in XP?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

January 5, 2005 1:17:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thats a bit strange really. It 'should' play.

I assume you can play this same video file otherwise? If not, well, there
you go. You would then have an Avi file encoded in a format for which you
don't have the codec. Try SF with another video file that you know for a
fact you can view normally.

If you want to find out the codec used on a file, get a nice little bit of
freeware called gspot. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

If this is not the case, then I'm stumped. It should just show the video.
Believe you can also set a window down at the lower right to monitor video
as well.

!