SFF cases -- a round up

monkeyman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
Everyone knows about the Shuttle SFF cube PC -- but who are the other players in the space? AMS's gBox, but that only has 400 MHz P4 FSB.

Who else? Any other contenders?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the whole idea of making these things shaped like hacked off towers is rediculous. I mean, it might be handy as a portable gaming machine, but most people use them for home theater I think. And desktop style cases offer more expandability and better looks for that.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are many beautifull desktop mATX cases that would look at home in an entertainment system. Just go to newegg and do a search on desktop ATX and destko mATX cases with the sumary views. MiniITX boards used in these SFF systems are simply an even more compact version of mATX, they removed two slots from the mATX form factor and that's it. I couldn't live with a system that had only 2 slots. In fact, my system has 5 cards!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

svol

Champion
I thought the boards used in those Shuttle barabones where of the Flex ATX size instead of Mini ATX.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, Flex has no PCI or AGP slots. They aren't Micro ATX, either, they're a shortened version of that called mini ITX. First there was ATX, but that was too usefull and practical with all those slots, so they ridded us of those usefull slots with MicroATX, but then onboard devices became more popular, so they decided to rid us of a couple more usefull slots and invented Mini ITX.