Neverwinter Nights addons - new character ?

Well, I recently finished the original Neverwinter Nights campaign and
started to play the first addon. I actually made the same mistake I made the
first time I played the original campagain - creating a wizard
character. They are nice in Baldurs Gate / Icewind Dale where you
have a party of six and lots of people to protect your spellcaster but
as usual for low-level wizards my character dies instantly after being
exposed to an orc's foul breath. Annoying. Since I have grown somewhat
attached to my Neverwinter Nights character I would like to continue
with him, but slashing kobolds with a level 15 paladin is not that
much of a challenge.

Did you start new character or imported the old one ? Will I met some
challenges later in the game even with my paladin (The question of
course also applies to the second addon) ?

Bye
Stefan
11 answers Last reply
More about neverwinter nights addons character

    Stefan Malte Schumacher wrote:
    > Well, I recently finished the original Neverwinter Nights campaign and
    > started to play the first addon. I actually made the same mistake I made the
    > first time I played the original campagain - creating a wizard
    > character. They are nice in Baldurs Gate / Icewind Dale where you
    > have a party of six and lots of people to protect your spellcaster but
    > as usual for low-level wizards my character dies instantly after being
    > exposed to an orc's foul breath. Annoying. Since I have grown somewhat
    > attached to my Neverwinter Nights character I would like to continue
    > with him, but slashing kobolds with a level 15 paladin is not that
    > much of a challenge.
    >
    > Did you start new character or imported the old one ? Will I met some
    > challenges later in the game even with my paladin (The question of
    > course also applies to the second addon) ?
    >

    > Bye
    > Stefan

    Assuming you mean "Shadows of Undrentide" when you refer to the first
    addon, the expansion is designed for a 1st-level character (i.e. you're
    supposed to be using a new character, not importing an old one). The
    second addon/expansion "Hordes of the Underdark" is designed for
    imported/high-level characters, but the campaign you're playing is not.

    Wizards kick ass. They reach new spell levels one level earlier than
    Sorcerers, they have a high Intelligence that allow for many skill
    points, they can learn spells from scrolls instead of having to wait
    until level-up time, and they have the potential to learn EVERY arcane
    spell in existance.

    GFree wrote:

    > Wizards kick ass.

    I agree. The extra feats alone are enough reason to prefer them over
    Sorcerers.

    > They reach new spell levels one level earlier than
    > Sorcerers, they have a high Intelligence that allow for many skill
    > points, they can learn spells from scrolls instead of having to wait
    > until level-up time, and they have the potential to learn EVERY arcane
    > spell in existance.

    IF you don't specialize in a school, that is. If you take Evocation (for
    example) for your school, then you can't learn conjuring spells (such as
    Summons).

    --

    Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

    "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz

    GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> skrev i meddelelsen

    > ... (wizards) can learn spells from scrolls instead of having to wait
    > until level-up time, ...

    D'oh, I feel stupid. How's that done?

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

    Arcana Dragon wrote:

    > GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> skrev i meddelelsen
    >
    > > ... (wizards) can learn spells from scrolls instead of having to wait
    > > until level-up time, ...
    >
    > D'oh, I feel stupid. How's that done?

    Just right-click the scroll. It's an option on the radial menu.

    --

    RogerM wrote:
    > GFree wrote:
    >>They reach new spell levels one level earlier than
    >>Sorcerers, they have a high Intelligence that allow for many skill
    >>points, they can learn spells from scrolls instead of having to wait
    >>until level-up time, and they have the potential to learn EVERY arcane
    >>spell in existance.
    >

    > IF you don't specialize in a school, that is. If you take Evocation (for
    > example) for your school, then you can't learn conjuring spells (such as
    > Summons).

    I never ever specialize in a school (always take "General" or whatever
    it's called). I may gain an extra spell or whatever benefits
    specialization provides, but I'll miss out on the gamut of spells
    available. Plus, I'd have to know beforehand what spells would be
    blocked from me if I specialized. I'd be quite pissed if I wanted to use
    Time Stop (one of my favorite spells) later on but I specialized in a
    school that blocked Transmutation spells.

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:30:18 GMT, RogerM
    <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Arcana Dragon wrote:
    >>
    >> GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> skrev i meddelelsen
    >>
    >> > ... (wizards) can learn spells from scrolls instead of having to wait
    >> > until level-up time, ...
    >>
    >> D'oh, I feel stupid. How's that done?
    >>

    >Just right-click the scroll. It's an option on the radial menu.

    Yep... a nice feature. But the spells that can be
    learned from scrolls at any given time are still limited
    to the group permitted by the current wizard level.

    John Lewis

    GFree wrote:

    > I never ever specialize in a school (always take "General" or whatever
    > it's called). I may gain an extra spell or whatever benefits
    > specialization provides, but I'll miss out on the gamut of spells
    > available. Plus, I'd have to know beforehand what spells would be
    > blocked from me if I specialized. I'd be quite pissed if I wanted to use
    > Time Stop (one of my favorite spells) later on but I specialized in a
    > school that blocked Transmutation spells.

    Yeah, that is a downside to specialization. I really do like learning
    two spells per level, though. You can take one buff/utility spell and
    one attack spell each time. Evocation is usually the school I choose,
    but sometimes I really miss those summon spells.

    --

    "RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > GFree wrote:
    >>
    >> Wizards kick ass.
    >
    > I agree. The extra feats alone are enough reason to prefer them over
    > Sorcerers.

    But the ability to pump out 8 fireballs or scintillating sphere's is pretty
    attractive too right?. I haven't played a wizard since sorc's were created,
    and I haven't regretted it so far. I do admit sorc's are potentially a
    dumbed down version of the wizard. Less micro-management, though it could be
    said that the decreased spell choices increases complexity as well.

    Learning every spell in the game is rather pointless if you don't have a
    quick way of casting those spells (especially in a multi player environment
    which isn't pause friendly). 36 quick slots always seems far too little for
    me, and that's with a sorc! :) How do you guys manage your spells?. I have
    all my offensive spells on the CTR group, and all the defensive on the SHIFT
    group. With general purpose on the main group. Seems to be working ok, but
    even at level 11 sorc (11 rogue as well) all my tab groups are at above half
    full {general group being full}. A wizard must have to make allot of hard
    choices in deciding what to quick slot!

    Ceo-

    Ceowulf wrote:

    > "RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > GFree wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Wizards kick ass.
    > >
    > > I agree. The extra feats alone are enough reason to prefer them over
    > > Sorcerers.
    >
    > But the ability to pump out 8 fireballs or scintillating sphere's is pretty
    > attractive too right?.

    Yeah, but Magus Magnus (my current wizard) can toss 9 normal fireballs
    anyway. A total of 28 of them with empowered and maximized thrown in.
    The extra feats buy things like great intelligence and spell penetration
    to make them more effective.

    > I haven't played a wizard since sorc's were created,
    > and I haven't regretted it so far. I do admit sorc's are potentially a
    > dumbed down version of the wizard. Less micro-management, though it could be
    > said that the decreased spell choices increases complexity as well.
    >
    > Learning every spell in the game is rather pointless if you don't have a
    > quick way of casting those spells (especially in a multi player environment
    > which isn't pause friendly). 36 quick slots always seems far too little for
    > me, and that's with a sorc! :) How do you guys manage your spells?. I have
    > all my offensive spells on the CTR group, and all the defensive on the SHIFT
    > group. With general purpose on the main group. Seems to be working ok, but
    > even at level 11 sorc (11 rogue as well) all my tab groups are at above half
    > full {general group being full}. A wizard must have to make allot of hard
    > choices in deciding what to quick slot!
    >
    > Ceo-

    You know it! :)

    You would think 36 slots would be plenty, but no! What with some
    equipment changes, epic spells, potions and scrolls, I could easily use
    twice as many slots. I can see the appeal of the sorcerer, but for me
    the great appeal of NWN is the feats. They add so much to the
    customization of a character that I would really miss them. That's why I
    usually take a fighter when starting a warrior type. A wizards also has
    enough spell to play in a few different modes. Summoner, Battlemage, and
    Blaster. I would think that would be tough for a Sorcerer.

    That being said, my current wizard is now at L 35, so I might just try a
    sorcerer when ole' Magus is maxed out.

    If you're looking around online, drop in at the Cheyenne server
    sometime. Ask for Magus or Doom (my weaponmaster).

    --

    Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

    "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:16:43 +0800, "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:

    >"RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> GFree wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Wizards kick ass.
    >>
    >> I agree. The extra feats alone are enough reason to prefer them over
    >> Sorcerers.
    >
    >But the ability to pump out 8 fireballs or scintillating sphere's is pretty
    >attractive too right?. I haven't played a wizard since sorc's were created,
    >and I haven't regretted it so far. I do admit sorc's are potentially a
    >dumbed down version of the wizard. Less micro-management, though it could be
    >said that the decreased spell choices increases complexity as well.
    >
    >Learning every spell in the game is rather pointless if you don't have a
    >quick way of casting those spells (especially in a multi player environment
    >which isn't pause friendly). 36 quick slots always seems far too little for
    >me, and that's with a sorc! :) How do you guys manage your spells?. I have
    >all my offensive spells on the CTR group, and all the defensive on the SHIFT
    >group. With general purpose on the main group. Seems to be working ok, but
    >even at level 11 sorc (11 rogue as well) all my tab groups are at above half
    >full {general group being full}. A wizard must have to make allot of hard
    >choices in deciding what to quick slot!

    Not really. Just the really offensive stuff. Seriously, if you can't manage
    your spells with 36 slots to play with you would have to be doing something
    wrong, and I don't mean you personally either. My level 34 Wizard doesn't have
    all the spells yet, maybe 4 or so left but I don't use a hell of a lot anyway
    to be honest. I don't even bother with may lower end offensive spells as the
    things I might use them against are no threat to me anyway.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Memnoch wrote:
    > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:16:43 +0800, "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:
    >

    >>"RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    >>>I agree. The extra feats alone are enough reason to prefer them over
    >>>Sorcerers.
    >>
    >>But the ability to pump out 8 fireballs or scintillating sphere's is pretty
    >>attractive too right?. I haven't played a wizard since sorc's were created,
    >>and I haven't regretted it so far. I do admit sorc's are potentially a
    >>dumbed down version of the wizard. Less micro-management, though it could be
    >>said that the decreased spell choices increases complexity as well.
    >>
    >>Learning every spell in the game is rather pointless if you don't have a
    >>quick way of casting those spells (especially in a multi player environment
    >>which isn't pause friendly). 36 quick slots always seems far too little for
    >>me, and that's with a sorc! :) How do you guys manage your spells?. I have
    >>all my offensive spells on the CTR group, and all the defensive on the SHIFT
    >>group. With general purpose on the main group. Seems to be working ok, but
    >>even at level 11 sorc (11 rogue as well) all my tab groups are at above half
    >>full {general group being full}. A wizard must have to make allot of hard
    >>choices in deciding what to quick slot!
    >

    > Not really. Just the really offensive stuff. Seriously, if you can't manage
    > your spells with 36 slots to play with you would have to be doing something
    > wrong, and I don't mean you personally either. My level 34 Wizard doesn't have
    > all the spells yet, maybe 4 or so left but I don't use a hell of a lot anyway
    > to be honest. I don't even bother with may lower end offensive spells as the
    > things I might use them against are no threat to me anyway.

    Meh. I'm a completest, in the sense I like to have a complete set of
    spells at my disposal. Even if I'm not going to be using the very
    lower-end spells much (or at all), I do like reading their descriptions,
    their capabilties and casting them just for fun. Also helps with the
    flexabilitiy; I KNOW that I can basically overcome any invulnerabilities
    that enemies or obsticales present.

PC gaming Games Video Games