Sign in with
Your question

Old Lucent Modems (Crashman, Fatburger & Others)

Last response: in Components
January 21, 2003 11:05:10 PM

Hello Crashman, Fatburger & Others.

Crashman, do you prefer the old Lucent 1646T00 chipset 56K software/internal modems over all other hardware/external and software/internal modems? Why?

(Fatburger, have you found the same thing? Anyone else?)

Have you found that the above Lucent modems take up -- just as much, a little more, or a little less -- "resources" (CPU and whatever else) than hardware/external modems?

Are the above Lucent modems faster or at least potentially faster than all other software/internal and hardware/external modems?

Should I be able to get the above Lucent modem to work with an Athlon XP and/or Pentium 4 setup with Windows XP?

Should I be able to get one of those Modem on Hold / Caller ID devices to work along with it?

Thanks so much!
DuckTape
January 21, 2003 11:17:47 PM

I've used 1646T00 modems on everything down to a 486/66. They do have some overhead but apparently very little. I've also had them connect as fast as my fastest modems from other manufacturers, and faster than most other winmodems. If you get one with a late driver and find need the old non-MMX driver, I can send it to you.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 22, 2003 12:31:15 AM

Thanks, Crashman.

<< I've also had them connect as fast as my fastest modems from other manufacturers >>

You mean they connect as fast as both the fastest software/internal modems and fastest hardware/external modems?

<< If you get one with a late driver and find need the old non-MMX driver, I can send it to you. >>

Will the v.90 and v.92 Lucent modems work with this older driver? Will they still have Calller ID and "Modem on Hold" (v.92) features with the older driver?

Thanks again,
DuckTape
January 22, 2003 1:38:38 AM

You asked about the 1646t00, which is a V90 modem. I don't know anything about their v92 modems, but can assure you that they have little in common with the old reliable 1646t00.

I mean to say I've tested the modems against various internal hardware modems and not found a faster connection. I live outside a small city, so a 45.2k connection is about as close as you'll ever get to 56k regardless of modem. But I've seen weaker modems connect at 33.3 or less on the same lines.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 22, 2003 5:54:08 AM

Crashman,

<< I mean to say I've tested the modems against various internal hardware modems and not found a faster connection. >>

So, just to be sure -- there are three (not two) types of 56K modems which include not only internal software modems and external hardware modems, but also internal hardware modems, (and above, you are specifically referring to only internal hardware modems), correct?

Thanks again,
DuckTape
January 22, 2003 6:30:49 AM

Yes, most internal hardware modems are ISA. They use the same hardware as external modems, but with an ISA interface instead of serial.

January 22, 2003 2:45:30 PM

Ive got an internal ISA Diamond 56k modem. If I plug it in it is detected and the software is installed. However if I try to connect to the modem it says that it cannot connect to the modem and to make sure it is plugged in or switched on. Also if I go into modems in control panel and use the 'query' thingy, it cannot connect to the modem there either. Is the modem busted or just poorly configured?

O, and btw I used to connec at 52,000bps on my old Lucent winmodem (the chipset you talking about). That was a good modem, but used to affect my mp3 listening whenever it disconnected - very annoying.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>
January 22, 2003 3:20:01 PM

Sounds like a configuration problem. Is it jumpered or PNP? It's been a while since I've used Diamond's modems. (I think they might have been jumpered with a PNP option enabled by jumper).

January 22, 2003 7:20:24 PM

Crashman,

<< Yes, most internal hardware modems are ISA. They use the same hardware as external modems, but with an ISA interface instead of serial. >>

So, if I go with the old Lucent modem, am I going to need to make sure that the motherboard on my new computer has an ISA slot?

Do motherboards still typically have these?

Thanks again,
DuckTape
January 22, 2003 7:40:59 PM

No, most Lucent 1646T00 modems were only "hardware assisted", meaning that they are still considered "software" modems even though they use hardware decompression (no, I don't know why). It seems that almost any PCI modem will be labled a "software" modem no matter how much or how little is actually done in hardware.

Personally, I like the features of V.92 modems, but can't advise you on which one to choose as I haven't bought any yet.

January 24, 2003 4:51:42 AM

Most all the new motherboards don't have ISA slots. This is old 16bit technology.

I built a new computer for a friend and used a new model PCI Lucent chipset modem, which sucked. He could only connect at 28 to 33kbps on a phone line that his old computer would connect at 50+kbps with a US Robotics 1479 ISA hardware modem. Installed a US Robotics v92 5610B PCI (hardware modem) in that new computer and it connected at 50+kbps just like the old computer did with it's US Robotics 1479.

The new software modems I've tested show that the Rockwell/Conexant chipset seems to do better than the Lucent chipset, for some reason. I've also used an external US Robotics V92 modem and it connects the same as the PCI 5610B.

UsHeR_564

"You can run, but your punk ass will only die tired!"
January 24, 2003 6:17:01 PM

It probably has to be able to find a free IRQ, the easiest one would be by disabling a serial port and allowing it that IRQ.

!