Call of Cthulhu: Hands-on

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> writes:

> Let's hope its fairly open ended. I didn't like the mention of
> "chapters."
> Other than that I'll wait for a non spoiler review to tell me
> it's bug free :)

I don't think it's going to be very open-ended. Everything I've read
about it suggests it's a 3D adventure game (Monkey Island with
more shoggoths), rather than a free-range Ultima-style RPG.

I would rather see the latter, but if it's faithful to the source
material I will probably give it a try when it comes out.

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:21:01 -0500, Nick Vargish
<nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:

>I don't think it's going to be very open-ended. Everything I've read
>about it suggests it's a 3D adventure game (Monkey Island with
>more shoggoths), rather than a free-range Ultima-style RPG.
>
>I would rather see the latter, but if it's faithful to the source
>material I will probably give it a try when it comes out.

Kind of hard to have it be open-ended, right? Don't most CoC games end
with the players going mad or getting eaten? What are you going to do -
develop even more phobias as you continue past the end of the plotline?
:)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Michael Cecil wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:21:01 -0500, Nick Vargish
> <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:
>

>>I don't think it's going to be very open-ended. Everything I've read
>>about it suggests it's a 3D adventure game (Monkey Island with
>>more shoggoths), rather than a free-range Ultima-style RPG.
>>
>>I would rather see the latter, but if it's faithful to the source
>>material I will probably give it a try when it comes out.
>

> Kind of hard to have it be open-ended, right? Don't most CoC games end
> with the players going mad or getting eaten? What are you going to do -
> develop even more phobias as you continue past the end of the plotline?
> :)

I'm a little curious how this will pan out. It seems like the ending
will have to follow along, but then that is really not ending at all!
Plus, how do you manage to stay sane for the game?

I'm really looking forward to this, but I have my doubts it will be good.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:24:56 -0700, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I'm a little curious how this will pan out. It seems like the ending
>will have to follow along, but then that is really not ending at all!
>Plus, how do you manage to stay sane for the game?
>
>I'm really looking forward to this, but I have my doubts it will be good.

It has been in production for a long, long time. Longer than STALKER even
(but not as long as Grimoire or DNF).

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

Toby

On 2005-03-05, Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote:
> In article <I6%Vd.1131$CW2.794@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> jonahnynla@mindspring.com says...
>> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-cthulhu-dark-corners-of-the-earth/593198p1.html
>
> I didn't know H.P.Lovecraft was so into crates ;-)
>
> - Gerry Quinn

It's all very grey and brown, too.

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:01:32 +0000, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>On 2005-03-05, Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote:
>> In article <I6%Vd.1131$CW2.794@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
>> jonahnynla@mindspring.com says...
>>> http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-cthulhu-dark-corners-of-the-earth/593198p1.html
>>
>> I didn't know H.P.Lovecraft was so into crates ;-)
>>
>> - Gerry Quinn
>
>It's all very grey and brown, too.

Perhaps flamboyant pinks and pastels would suit sir better...

Toby

On 2005-03-05, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:01:32 +0000, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2005-03-05, Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote:
>>> In article <I6%Vd.1131$CW2.794@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
>>> jonahnynla@mindspring.com says...
>>>
>>> I didn't know H.P.Lovecraft was so into crates ;-)
>>>
>>> - Gerry Quinn
>>
>>It's all very grey and brown, too.
>
> Perhaps flamboyant pinks and pastels would suit sir better...

Yep. And yellow, scarlet... would make it much nicer to look at that
grey-o-vision.

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:31:05 +0000, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>On 2005-03-05, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>>It's all very grey and brown, too.
>>
>> Perhaps flamboyant pinks and pastels would suit sir better...
>
>Yep. And yellow, scarlet... would make it much nicer to look at that
>grey-o-vision.

I think they might be trying to aproximate the time period so lots of drab
coloured wall paper and tweed jackets for the blokes seems in order! :)