MN-500 question

I have a system with a LinkSys router installed which works fine. I want to
replace the LinkSys with the MN-500. Unplugging the cable from the LinkSys
and plugging in the MN-500 I cannot ping the MN-500.

I do not have any installation CD that came with this device.

From what I have read in this NG, I assume the default IP address for it is
192.168.2.1.

If this is correct, without any installing software should I be able to ping
that address and reach the mn-500.

Thanks,
Alex

---
More about question

    Hi,

    Check to make sure your IP addresses on your computers is set for the MN500.
    The MN-500's DHCP IP addresses goes as 192.168.2.x
    and the Linksys DHCP IP addresses goes as 192.168.0.x

    Just check to make sure if you are using a static IP address that the 3
    octet of the IP address is 2 for the MN-500. Or just make sure your computer
    obtains an IP address from the MN-500.
    Then you should be able to ping the MN-500 at 192.168.2.1
    if you're still unable to ping 192.168.2.1 try doing a hard reset by holding
    a paper clip or a similar object to the reset button and hold it for about 8
    seconds. Then let go and your MN-500 should restore all it's settings to
    it's default values.
    Then try pinging 192.168.2.1

    Good luck!

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Alex" <a@j.com> wrote in message news:KHeqc.5229$qI2.2060@news02.roc.ny...

    > I have a system with a LinkSys router installed which works fine. I want
    > replace the LinkSys with the MN-500. Unplugging the cable from the
    > LinkSys
    > and plugging in the MN-500 I cannot ping the MN-500.
    >
    > I do not have any installation CD that came with this device.
    >
    > From what I have read in this NG, I assume the default IP address for it
    > is
    > 192.168.2.1.
    >
    > If this is correct, without any installing software should I be able to
    > ping
    > that address and reach the mn-500.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alex
    >

    > ---

    The reset seems to have done it! Pings just fine.
    Plugged in modem and surf'in just fine.

    Thanks!

    Next question:
    Do I actually need the CD? what does it buy me? What am I missing?

    Thanks,
    Alex

    "Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Check to make sure your IP addresses on your computers is set for the
    MN500.
    > The MN-500's DHCP IP addresses goes as 192.168.2.x
    > and the Linksys DHCP IP addresses goes as 192.168.0.x
    >
    > Just check to make sure if you are using a static IP address that the 3
    > octet of the IP address is 2 for the MN-500. Or just make sure your
    computer
    > obtains an IP address from the MN-500.
    > Then you should be able to ping the MN-500 at 192.168.2.1
    > if you're still unable to ping 192.168.2.1 try doing a hard reset by
    holding
    > a paper clip or a similar object to the reset button and hold it for about
    8
    > seconds. Then let go and your MN-500 should restore all it's settings to
    > it's default values.
    > Then try pinging 192.168.2.1
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Gary Tsang
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >

    > "Alex" <a@j.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I have a system with a LinkSys router installed which works fine. I
    want
    > > replace the LinkSys with the MN-500. Unplugging the cable from the
    > > LinkSys
    > > and plugging in the MN-500 I cannot ping the MN-500.
    > >
    > > I do not have any installation CD that came with this device.
    > >
    > > From what I have read in this NG, I assume the default IP address for it
    > > is
    > > 192.168.2.1.
    > >
    > > If this is correct, without any installing software should I be able to
    > > ping
    > > that address and reach the mn-500.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Alex
    > >

    > > ---

    ---

    Go to the website and get firmware updates--the software does autoupdate and
    wizards that ease setup--nothing you absolutely need.

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/default.mspx

Routers Networking