MN-500 question

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 18, 2004 6:39:38 AM

I have a system with a LinkSys router installed which works fine. I want to
replace the LinkSys with the MN-500. Unplugging the cable from the LinkSys
and plugging in the MN-500 I cannot ping the MN-500.

I do not have any installation CD that came with this device.

From what I have read in this NG, I assume the default IP address for it is
192.168.2.1.

If this is correct, without any installing software should I be able to ping
that address and reach the mn-500.

Thanks,
Alex

---

More about : 500 question

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:39:39 AM

Hi,

Check to make sure your IP addresses on your computers is set for the MN500.
The MN-500's DHCP IP addresses goes as 192.168.2.x
and the Linksys DHCP IP addresses goes as 192.168.0.x

Just check to make sure if you are using a static IP address that the 3
octet of the IP address is 2 for the MN-500. Or just make sure your computer
obtains an IP address from the MN-500.
Then you should be able to ping the MN-500 at 192.168.2.1
if you're still unable to ping 192.168.2.1 try doing a hard reset by holding
a paper clip or a similar object to the reset button and hold it for about 8
seconds. Then let go and your MN-500 should restore all it's settings to
it's default values.
Then try pinging 192.168.2.1

Good luck!

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Alex" <a@j.com> wrote in message news:KHeqc.5229$qI2.2060@news02.roc.ny...

> I have a system with a LinkSys router installed which works fine. I want
> replace the LinkSys with the MN-500. Unplugging the cable from the
> LinkSys
> and plugging in the MN-500 I cannot ping the MN-500.
>
> I do not have any installation CD that came with this device.
>
> From what I have read in this NG, I assume the default IP address for it
> is
> 192.168.2.1.
>
> If this is correct, without any installing software should I be able to
> ping
> that address and reach the mn-500.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>

> ---

May 18, 2004 3:05:03 PM

The reset seems to have done it! Pings just fine.
Plugged in modem and surf'in just fine.

Thanks!

Next question:
Do I actually need the CD? what does it buy me? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Alex

"Gary Tsang" <garyDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Check to make sure your IP addresses on your computers is set for the
MN500.
> The MN-500's DHCP IP addresses goes as 192.168.2.x
> and the Linksys DHCP IP addresses goes as 192.168.0.x
>
> Just check to make sure if you are using a static IP address that the 3
> octet of the IP address is 2 for the MN-500. Or just make sure your
computer
> obtains an IP address from the MN-500.
> Then you should be able to ping the MN-500 at 192.168.2.1
> if you're still unable to ping 192.168.2.1 try doing a hard reset by
holding
> a paper clip or a similar object to the reset button and hold it for about
8
> seconds. Then let go and your MN-500 should restore all it's settings to
> it's default values.
> Then try pinging 192.168.2.1
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Alex" <a@j.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I have a system with a LinkSys router installed which works fine. I
want
> > replace the LinkSys with the MN-500. Unplugging the cable from the
> > LinkSys
> > and plugging in the MN-500 I cannot ping the MN-500.
> >
> > I do not have any installation CD that came with this device.
> >
> > From what I have read in this NG, I assume the default IP address for it
> > is
> > 192.168.2.1.
> >
> > If this is correct, without any installing software should I be able to
> > ping
> > that address and reach the mn-500.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alex
> >

> > ---

---
May 19, 2004 12:04:33 AM

Go to the website and get firmware updates--the software does autoupdate and
wizards that ease setup--nothing you absolutely need.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/d...