Wizardry 8: Return to portal books?

I was wondering if there are any books of return to portal in the game.
I have found for sale several books of set portal, but none of return.
Since, when gaining a level, you learn both spells if you choose either
one, it appears that the books of set portal alone are useless (since
they do *not* teach both spells).
Have I just been unlucky in spell availability, or are there no books
of return to portal? In the latter case, I can sell the books to buy
other spells instead.
21 answers Last reply
More about wizardry return portal books

    On 5 Mar 2005 06:59:13 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The Qurqirish
    Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:

    >I was wondering if there are any books of return to portal in the game.
    >I have found for sale several books of set portal, but none of return.
    >Since, when gaining a level, you learn both spells if you choose either
    >one, it appears that the books of set portal alone are useless (since
    >they do *not* teach both spells).
    >Have I just been unlucky in spell availability, or are there no books
    >of return to portal? In the latter case, I can sell the books to buy
    >other spells instead.

    I'm part way into Wiz 8, and I found a list of spell book locations on one
    web site (don't remember which one), which I printed out.

    According to the list I have, 'Return to Portal' books are in the game; it's
    just that they're in places you'll probably reach a little later than the
    places where the 'Set Portal' books can be found.

    What I'm doing is saving the 'Set to Portal' books for when my hybrids are
    high enough level to use them; by that point I should have found some of the
    'Return to Portal' books too. My pure casters all took the portal spells as
    a choice as soon as they hit 11th level.

    Spell locations ROT13ed below (in case you don't want actual spoilers):

    These are all just entered the way they are on the list I have; I haven't
    actually got to any of these places yet (my party is in the middle of
    exploring the Swamp), so I can't vouch for the accuracy of these locations
    from personal experience.

    Return to Portals:

    Zbhag Tvtnf Pnirf (Harkcyberq Greevgbel)
    Abegurea Jvyqrearff (RFR Ubtne Pnir)
    Zbhagnva Jvyqrearff (Ergeb qhatrba)
    Onlwva (Uhg jvgu Onggyrybeqf)

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    Nick's two rules of spammer talk:

    1. Spammers lie.
    2. If a spammer ever appears to be telling
    the truth, please refer to rule number 1.

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:18:54 GMT, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Nick
    <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote:

    >I'm part way into Wiz 8, and I found a list of spell book locations on one
    >web site (don't remember which one), which I printed out.

    One place with that list is Avenstar's Wiz 8 web site, at
    <http://www.geocities.com/shau185/index.html>; that list is probably also on
    other Wiz 8 sites.

    If you're having problems coming up with money for spell books, you can make
    a good bit of money with Alchemy: buy some of the cheaper potions, mix them
    to get more expensive potions, then sell the new potions for a nice profit.
    Avenstar's site, along with several others, has a list of mixable potions.

    You don't need an Alchemist in your party to do this; any character with an
    Alchemy skill of at least 15 can mix basic potions for a profit (higher
    skill is needed to produce the more powerful and profitable potions).

    Besides making money, mixing potions also raises your character's Alchemy
    skill; that's particularly handy for my Bishop.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

    Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
    doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

    >>I was wondering if there are any books of return to portal in the game.
    >>I have found for sale several books of set portal, but norne of return.
    >>Since, when gaining a level, you learn both spells if you choose either
    >>one, it appears that the books of set portal alone are useless (since
    >>they do *not* teach both spells).
    >>Have I just been unlucky in spell availability, or are there no books
    >>of return to portal? In the latter case, I can sell the books to buy
    >>other spells instead.
    >

    > What I'm doing is saving the 'Set to Portal' books for when my hybrids are
    > high enough level to use them; by that point I should have found some of the
    > 'Return to Portal' books too. My pure casters all took the portal spells as
    > a choice as soon as they hit 11th level.
    >
    >I know at least two locations which give you a set, way before you can
    actually cast the spell. First there is a book in the backroom to the
    Pagode in Trynton, where the 3 Rapax scouts are fighting the trynnie
    patrols. The complementary book is in the Northern Wilderness, which I
    always visit after my first visit to the Umpani camp, which I always do
    on the way back from the second visit to the monastery (with the wheel
    key). It is in a cave on the southern rim, defended by a Battering
    Hogar. I doný know which is which, but one of those two is a return to
    portal. HTH, gr. from the Netherlands, Wim Denie

    Thanks for the help. I transferred my party from Wizardry 7, so I have
    only one basic spellcaster- My starting party was
    lord/samurai/ninja/ranger/psionic/monk.

    The ranger and monk have changed class to gadgeteer and bishop
    respectively. Once the stats are high enough (next level currently) my
    lord and samurai are going to swap classes (new spells available, all
    equipment still usable :-)

    Anyway, I'm currently exploring the Rapax area, but now that I know the
    return books exist, I'll hold onto the set portal books.

    BTW, thatnks for the advice about potions- my ninja has an alchemy
    skill over 50, and I need money to buy some stolen goods from the
    rattkin (In order for this to be a spoiler, you already need to know
    what they have :-)

    On 6 Mar 2005 06:15:26 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The Qurqirish
    Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:

    >BTW, thatnks for the advice about potions- my ninja has an alchemy
    >skill over 50, and I need money to buy some stolen goods from the
    >rattkin (In order for this to be a spoiler, you already need to know
    >what they have :-)

    I did a bit of potion mixing to finance that purchase myself. :)

    Note that not all potion mixes are profitable: some of the resultant potions
    are worth less than the two potions you mix together (sometimes considerably
    less). So check prices.

    At low skill levels, Heavy Heals are a money maker; at higher levels Renewal
    Potions and Pandemonium Powder are both good.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!) R.A.H.

    Really? IN wiz 7, class changing often worked great. Oh, well. I rarely
    use the front-line characters for more than combat anyway (The lord
    pretty much only used magic outside of battle, to cast Soul Shield. He
    used to cast armorplate, but now that my force-field generator is
    makiong a level-6 shield, I don't need that anymore)

    In article <1110118526.366239.283870@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
    > Thanks for the help. I transferred my party from Wizardry 7, so I have
    > only one basic spellcaster- My starting party was
    > lord/samurai/ninja/ranger/psionic/monk.
    >
    > The ranger and monk have changed class to gadgeteer and bishop
    > respectively. Once the stats are high enough (next level
    > currently) my lord and samurai are going to swap classes (new
    > spells available, all equipment still usable :-)

    Class changing isn't usually profitable in Wizardry 8, with a few
    exceptions. I can't see any benefit to swapping classes between
    two characters. You'll likely finish the game before your Lord
    gets any Wizard spells, and his Priest spells will atrophe. The
    same goes for your Samurai.

    --
    Neil Cerutti

    On 7 Mar 2005 07:03:06 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The Qurqirish
    Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:

    >Really? IN wiz 7, class changing often worked great. Oh, well. I rarely
    >use the front-line characters for more than combat anyway (The lord
    >pretty much only used magic outside of battle, to cast Soul Shield. He
    >used to cast armorplate, but now that my force-field generator is
    >makiong a level-6 shield, I don't need that anymore)

    I used the force-field generator for a while, but then I noticed how much it
    weighed... (If I remember right, it's 15 lbs.) Now it's sitting on the
    floor of my room at the inn. :)

    To me, that carrying capacity is more useful for ammo, etc. than for a spell
    I only cast a couple of times a day. Besides, casting Armorplate each time
    I camp helps my Bishop build her magic skills up.

    --

    In article <1110207786.701825.76670@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
    > Really? IN wiz 7, class changing often worked great.

    Yes, because you start over at level one, and the 2nd class
    levels up easily.

    In Wizardry 8, you character level stays the same; your new
    class, if you take it late in the game, will often not become
    viable.

    In addition, you lose the individual class ability of classes you
    abandon, and can't use equip stuff that's unique to that class
    any more.

    > Oh, well. I rarely use the front-line characters for more than
    > combat anyway (The lord pretty much only used magic outside of
    > battle, to cast Soul Shield. He used to cast armorplate, but
    > now that my force-field generator is makiong a level-6 shield,
    > I don't need that anymore)

    I love Gadgets.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nick wrote:
    > On 7 Mar 2005 07:03:06 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The
    Qurqirish
    > Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:
    > I used the force-field generator for a while, but then I noticed how
    much it
    > weighed... (If I remember right, it's 15 lbs.) Now it's sitting on
    the
    > floor of my room at the inn. :)
    >
    > To me, that carrying capacity is more useful for ammo, etc. than for
    a spell
    > I only cast a couple of times a day. Besides, casting Armorplate
    each time
    > I camp helps my Bishop build her magic skills up.

    I find that weight is not too much of a problem (except, of course, for
    my fairy, but that's another story....)

    As far as building up magic skill is concerned, for earth power, I use
    whipping rocks in battle- if I am in an easy area, I cast a bunch of
    power level 1 spells. For divinity power, rest all works nicely, since
    my dracon and gadgeteer often need a stamina boost half-way through any
    tough battle.

    Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only keep the
    classes like this long enough to get a few healing spells for the
    (original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds and stamina), and a few
    attack spellspells for the (original) lord (energy blast and frost,
    most likely), then I'll switch them back. Granted, I lose a couple
    spell picks, but neither one has used much magic anyway.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
    > In addition, you lose the individual class ability of classes you
    > abandon, and can't use equip stuff that's unique to that class
    > any more.
    Well, for the lord, all my characters have amulets of life, so they all
    regenerate health. For the samurai, lightning strike is nice, but
    doesn't happen that often. As for equipment, since I swapped the
    classes of two characters, they simply trade their equipment! That was
    why I swapped the classes- so I wouldn't lose any item use :-)

    > > Oh, well. I rarely use the front-line characters for more than
    > > combat anyway (The lord pretty much only used magic outside of
    > > battle, to cast Soul Shield. He used to cast armorplate, but
    > > now that my force-field generator is makiong a level-6 shield,
    > > I don't need that anymore)
    >
    > I love Gadgets.

    Yeah, and in one more level my gadgeteer hits level 11 and can use that
    disintegration ray (or whatever it is called) I hope that it works well.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article
    <1110291768.944939.27050@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, The
    Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
    > As far as building up magic skill is concerned, for earth
    > power, I use whipping rocks in battle- if I am in an easy area,
    > I cast a bunch of power level 1 spells. For divinity power,
    > rest all works nicely, since my dracon and gadgeteer often need
    > a stamina boost half-way through any tough battle.

    That's a great spell.

    > Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only
    > keep the classes like this long enough to get a few healing
    > spells for the (original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds
    > and stamina), and a few attack spellspells for the (original)
    > lord (energy blast and frost, most likely), then I'll switch
    > them back. Granted, I lose a couple spell picks, but neither
    > one has used much magic anyway.

    If you are already in the Rapax zones, you're likely to finish
    the game before those characters gain the spells you're thinking
    about earning them. Once you hit level 12 or so, 5 more levels is
    a lllllooooooonnnnnnnggggggg ttttiiiiiiimmmmmmeeeee coming.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article
    <1110292166.961825.91560@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, The
    Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
    >> I love Gadgets.
    >
    > Yeah, and in one more level my gadgeteer hits level 11 and can
    > use that disintegration ray (or whatever it is called) I hope
    > that it works well.

    Oh, yes. In the end my Gadgeteer racked up more kills than any
    character except for the Bard that used Bloodlust for 90% of the
    game.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 8 Mar 2005 06:22:48 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The Qurqirish
    Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:

    >I find that weight is not too much of a problem (except, of course, for
    >my fairy, but that's another story....)

    My party is heavy on ranged attackers and magic users, so I haven't been
    building up strength for most of them. Plus, I have two fairies (Monk and
    Mage), which cuts back on carrying capacity.

    My Ranger and Gadgeteer both get four to six shots off per round, so they go
    through ammo fairly quickly.

    >As far as building up magic skill is concerned, for earth power, I use
    >whipping rocks in battle- if I am in an easy area, I cast a bunch of
    >power level 1 spells. For divinity power, rest all works nicely, since
    >my dracon and gadgeteer often need a stamina boost half-way through any
    >tough battle.

    My Bishop is the primary Priest spell caster for my party, but I'm also
    having her build up the other three spell books for access to their higher
    level spells as well. She casts almost constantly in combat, but she also
    casts most of the post-camping spells (Armorplate, Missile Shield, etc.) for
    the party.

    Since she doesn't get a 25% bonus to any spell books the way the other pure
    casters do, she needs all the spell casting chances she can get.

    In tough fights, she picks spells based on how useful they are; in easy
    fights, she picks spells based on what skills they'll advance.

    >Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only keep the
    >classes like this long enough to get a few healing spells for the
    >(original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds and stamina), and a few
    >attack spellspells for the (original) lord (energy blast and frost,
    >most likely), then I'll switch them back. Granted, I lose a couple
    >spell picks, but neither one has used much magic anyway.

    To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of sacrificing
    access to high level spells in the original class so you can learn low level
    spells in a different class.

    I'd rather keep my Valkyrie in her current class and have her learn 5th
    level Priest spells once she levels up two or three more times, rather than
    switching her to a Samurai and having to level up several times just to get
    some first level Mage spells.

    Even if I switched her back, she'd still have to level up two or three more
    times before she could learn those 5th level Priest spells.

    Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past 10th level or
    so, making her wait four or more extra levels before she can start learning
    5th level spells like Heal All, etc. is too big a price (to me) to pay for
    learning Energy Blast and other first level spells.

    I already have characters who can cast most of the first level spells in the
    different spell books; it's the higher level spells I need to add to my
    party's repertoire.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    May you live in interesting times...
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nick wrote:
    > On 8 Mar 2005 06:22:48 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The
    Qurqirish
    > Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:
    > >Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only keep the
    > >classes like this long enough to get a few healing spells for the
    > >(original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds and stamina), and a
    few
    > >attack spellspells for the (original) lord (energy blast and frost,
    > >most likely), then I'll switch them back. Granted, I lose a couple
    > >spell picks, but neither one has used much magic anyway.
    >
    > To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of
    sacrificing
    > access to high level spells in the original class so you can learn
    low level
    > spells in a different class.

    My front-line (lord and samurai) cast spells in battle so rarely, that
    the combat skills ar more important- and getting critical strike for
    the lord is useful.
    > Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past 10th
    level or
    > so, making her wait four or more extra levels before she can start
    learning
    > 5th level spells like Heal All, etc. is too big a price (to me) to
    pay for
    > learning Energy Blast and other first level spells.
    Again, outside of battle, I can use lower-level healing spells. I have
    a portal set in Trynton by the magic-restoring fountain, so my spell
    points are not a problem.

    > I already have characters who can cast most of the first level spells
    in the
    > different spell books; it's the higher level spells I need to add to
    my
    > party's repertoire.

    My main concern is to get a healing spell for the samurai (I think I
    might just get heal wounds). If my lord gets energy blast before then,
    fine, otherwise the switch back will get him lightning eventually.

    My fairy bishop and mook psionic are the main spellcasters (the bishop
    has over 70 points in two books, and in the upper 30s in the other two,
    and over 50 points in each element; the psionic has 117 in Psionics,
    and only has about 4 more spells he CAN learn- ever.) The gadgeteer
    does a lot of gadget use (the omnigun isn't used much- he uses the
    port-o-potty and holograph projector most of the time in battle)

    Anyway, I am not having any difficulties, so things are going well ;-)
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <5g2s21l5gcg3n6melo4hd6uuhqk9oojov6@4ax.com>, Nick wrote:
    > To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of
    > sacrificing access to high level spells in the original class
    > so you can learn low level spells in a different class.
    >
    > I'd rather keep my Valkyrie in her current class and have her
    > learn 5th level Priest spells once she levels up two or three
    > more times, rather than switching her to a Samurai and having
    > to level up several times just to get some first level Mage
    > spells.
    >
    > Even if I switched her back, she'd still have to level up two
    > or three more times before she could learn those 5th level
    > Priest spells.
    >
    > Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past
    > 10th level or so, making her wait four or more extra levels
    > before she can start learning 5th level spells like Heal All,
    > etc. is too big a price (to me) to pay for learning Energy
    > Blast and other first level spells.
    >
    > I already have characters who can cast most of the first level
    > spells in the different spell books; it's the higher level
    > spells I need to add to my party's repertoire.

    My last Wiz8 party included several of minor spellcasting
    classes. Most did not have enough free time to cast the spells
    they did have, let alone a bunch of other wimpy spells from
    another class. As front-line fighters, their spell-casting skills
    were very difficult to keep up, and I didn't get to take full
    advantage of their spellcasting skills already.

    Finally, every spell you cast in Wiz8 has a casting level equal
    to as many effective levels of that class a character carries. A
    10the level Mage's Energy Blast will be much more effective than
    a 10th level Samurai's Energy Blast, even if they both spend the
    same amount of mana. This is because the effectiveness of a spell
    is dependent on the relationship between you casting level and
    the level of mob you're facing. Plus, your casting level
    determines how much mana you're allowed to put into a spell in
    the first place.

    An 18th level character with 13 levels of Samurai and 5 levels of
    Priest will cast Mage spells as if he were a level 8 mage, and
    Priest spells as if he were a level 1 Priest. An 8th level mage
    spell will be a joke against an 18th level monster.

    If he had stayed a Samurai for all 18 levels, his mage casting
    level would be 13, much more competitive. With powercasting, he
    could be a very powerful caster.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message

    > Nick wrote:
    > > On 8 Mar 2005 06:22:48 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The
    > Qurqirish
    > > Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:
    > > >Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only keep the
    > > >classes like this long enough to get a few healing spells for the
    > > >(original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds and stamina), and a
    > few
    > > >attack spellspells for the (original) lord (energy blast and frost,
    > > >most likely), then I'll switch them back. Granted, I lose a couple
    > > >spell picks, but neither one has used much magic anyway.
    > >
    > > To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of
    > sacrificing
    > > access to high level spells in the original class so you can learn
    > low level
    > > spells in a different class.
    >
    > My front-line (lord and samurai) cast spells in battle so rarely, that
    > the combat skills ar more important- and getting critical strike for
    > the lord is useful.
    > > Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past 10th
    > level or
    > > so, making her wait four or more extra levels before she can start
    > learning
    > > 5th level spells like Heal All, etc. is too big a price (to me) to
    > pay for
    > > learning Energy Blast and other first level spells.
    > Again, outside of battle, I can use lower-level healing spells. I have
    > a portal set in Trynton by the magic-restoring fountain, so my spell
    > points are not a problem.
    >
    > > I already have characters who can cast most of the first level spells
    > in the
    > > different spell books; it's the higher level spells I need to add to
    > my
    > > party's repertoire.
    >
    > My main concern is to get a healing spell for the samurai (I think I
    > might just get heal wounds). If my lord gets energy blast before then,
    > fine, otherwise the switch back will get him lightning eventually.
    >
    > My fairy bishop and mook psionic are the main spellcasters (the bishop
    > has over 70 points in two books, and in the upper 30s in the other two,
    > and over 50 points in each element; the psionic has 117 in Psionics,
    > and only has about 4 more spells he CAN learn- ever.) The gadgeteer
    > does a lot of gadget use (the omnigun isn't used much- he uses the
    > port-o-potty and holograph projector most of the time in battle)
    >
    > Anyway, I am not having any difficulties, so things are going well ;-)

    I used to have a gadgeteer using the port-o-potty a lot when I played, but
    then I suddenly couldn't find the parts for it and now I can't remember
    exactly where they are supposed to be. Can you post those specific
    locations?

    --
    Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > I used to have a gadgeteer using the port-o-potty a lot when I played, but
    > then I suddenly couldn't find the parts for it and now I can't remember
    > exactly where they are supposed to be. Can you post those specific
    > locations?
    > IIRC the potty is in the room with the gleaming sword over the trapdoor to the cropcodiles in Upper Marten's Bluff,

    the porthole in the harbour next to Anna's shop in Arnika, HTH, gr.
    from the Netherlands, Wim Denie
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message

    > Nick wrote:
    >> On 8 Mar 2005 06:22:48 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The
    > Qurqirish
    >> Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:
    >> >Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only keep the
    >> >classes like this long enough to get a few healing spells for the
    >> >(original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds and stamina), and a
    > few
    >> >attack spellspells for the (original) lord (energy blast and frost,
    >> >most likely), then I'll switch them back. Granted, I lose a couple
    >> >spell picks, but neither one has used much magic anyway.
    >>
    >> To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of
    > sacrificing
    >> access to high level spells in the original class so you can learn
    > low level
    >> spells in a different class.
    >
    > My front-line (lord and samurai) cast spells in battle so rarely, that
    > the combat skills ar more important- and getting critical strike for
    > the lord is useful.
    >> Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past 10th
    > level or
    >> so, making her wait four or more extra levels before she can start
    > learning
    >> 5th level spells like Heal All, etc. is too big a price (to me) to
    > pay for
    >> learning Energy Blast and other first level spells.
    > Again, outside of battle, I can use lower-level healing spells. I have
    > a portal set in Trynton by the magic-restoring fountain, so my spell
    > points are not a problem.
    >
    >> I already have characters who can cast most of the first level spells
    > in the
    >> different spell books; it's the higher level spells I need to add to
    > my
    >> party's repertoire.
    >
    > My main concern is to get a healing spell for the samurai (I think I
    > might just get heal wounds). If my lord gets energy blast before then,
    > fine, otherwise the switch back will get him lightning eventually.
    >
    > My fairy bishop and mook psionic are the main spellcasters (the bishop
    > has over 70 points in two books, and in the upper 30s in the other two,
    > and over 50 points in each element; the psionic has 117 in Psionics,
    > and only has about 4 more spells he CAN learn- ever.) The gadgeteer
    > does a lot of gadget use (the omnigun isn't used much- he uses the
    > port-o-potty and holograph projector most of the time in battle)
    >
    > Anyway, I am not having any difficulties, so things are going well ;-)

    A warning. At one point you will have a member of the opposing factions as
    npc's. (Forget names of them.) Be sure to finish all that has to be done
    in that area before you take them back to their leaders. AI made the
    mistake of going to the leaders and then returning with them to finish the
    area. Then discovered I could not dismiss them. Had to finish the game
    with them.

  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article
    <9uPXd.358635$w62.110155@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    ALMA ENGELS wrote:
    > A warning. At one point you will have a member of the opposing
    > factions as npc's. (Forget names of them.) Be sure to finish
    > all that has to be done in that area before you take them back
    > to their leaders. AI made the mistake of going to the leaders
    > and then returning with them to finish the area. Then
    > discovered I could not dismiss them. Had to finish the game
    > with them.

    If that had happened to me I'd have just sent them "scouting
    ahead" until something horrible befell them.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    Will the highways on the Internet become more few? --George W.

    ALMA ENGELS wrote:
    > "The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Nick wrote:
    >> few
    >>>
    >>> To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of
    >>> sacrificing access to high level spells in the original class so
    >>> you can learn
    >> low level
    >>> spells in a different class.
    >>
    >> My front-line (lord and samurai) cast spells in battle so rarely,
    >> that the combat skills ar more important- and getting critical
    >> strike for the lord is useful.
    >>> Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past 10th
    >> level or
    >>> so, making her wait four or more extra levels before she can start
    >>> learning 5th level spells like Heal All, etc. is too big a price
    >>> (to me) to
    >> pay for
    >>> learning Energy Blast and other first level spells.
    >> Again, outside of battle, I can use lower-level healing spells. I
    >> have a portal set in Trynton by the magic-restoring fountain, so my
    >> spell points are not a problem.
    >>
    >>> I already have characters who can cast most of the first level
    >>> spells in the different spell books; it's the higher level spells I
    >>> need to add to
    >> my
    >>> party's repertoire.
    >>
    >> My main concern is to get a healing spell for the samurai (I think I
    >> might just get heal wounds). If my lord gets energy blast before
    >> then, fine, otherwise the switch back will get him lightning
    >> eventually.
    >>
    >> My fairy bishop and mook psionic are the main spellcasters (the
    >> bishop has over 70 points in two books, and in the upper 30s in the
    >> other two, and over 50 points in each element; the psionic has 117
    >> in Psionics, and only has about 4 more spells he CAN learn- ever.)
    >> The gadgeteer does a lot of gadget use (the omnigun isn't used much-
    >> he uses the port-o-potty and holograph projector most of the time in
    >> battle)
    >>
    >> Anyway, I am not having any difficulties, so things are going well
    >> ;-)
    >
    > A warning. At one point you will have a member of the opposing
    > factions as npc's. (Forget names of them.) Be sure to finish all
    > that has to be done in that area before you take them back to their
    > leaders. AI made the mistake of going to the leaders and then
    > returning with them to finish the area. Then discovered I could not
    > dismiss them. Had to finish the game with them.

    Yeah, that was annoying - the game gives you the ability to teleport, then
    the designers arrange the plot so that it 'breaks' if you use teleport at a
    point when teleporting would be really, really handy and sensible.

    --
    Mark.

PC gaming Portal Games Video Games Books