Rob Berryhill
37 answers Last reply
More about anyone matrix online stress test

    On 2005-03-05, Rob Berryhill <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly done
    > ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are kind of
    > confusing and the world seems very dead.

    They practically had to beg for beta testers not so long ago by
    giving accounts away at various fan sites. That's just how bad it
    is.

    It's a real shame. I liked the trilogy.

    "Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly done
    > ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are kind of
    > confusing and the world seems very dead.

    They missed the window where they should have marketed this
    game. No one cares about the Matrix anymore. Especially since
    the movies ended on such a sour, pathetic note. This MMORPG
    will most certainly fail, even though I've said the same about WoW
    and it's breaking records. (I don't get it by the way, I got so bored
    to tears within a few months).

    "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
    > On 2005-03-05, Rob Berryhill <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly done
    > > ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are kind of
    > > confusing and the world seems very dead.
    > >

    > They practically had to beg for beta testers not so long ago by
    > giving accounts away at various fan sites. That's just how bad it
    > is.
    >
    > It's a real shame. I liked the trilogy.

    I loved the first two.. Hated number 3. Not sure why anyone likes
    it. But to each his own.

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:16:29 -0600, Rob Berryhill
    <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly done
    >ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are kind of
    >confusing and the world seems very dead.

    I'm playing it, on and off. I really like the skill system (you can
    learn any skill in the game, but can only have a certain number of
    them 'loaded' at any one time, determined by your memory, which
    increases as you level).

    Combat is annoying as the camera tends to swing all over the place,
    and can be a little nausia-inducing. And the NPCs in missions have
    trouble going through doorways. And the Inventory is oddly milimiting
    - as well as a set numbe of slots, you are also limited by number.
    And you can only stash skills and code pieces (used in crafting) in a
    'bank' but not clothes or items.

    It's nowhere near ready, and I doubt I'll be getting it when it is.

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> once tried to test me with:

    > "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2005-03-05, Rob Berryhill <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> > I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly
    >> > done ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are
    >> > kind of confusing and the world seems very dead.
    >> >

    >> They practically had to beg for beta testers not so long ago by
    >> giving accounts away at various fan sites. That's just how bad it
    >> is.
    >>
    >> It's a real shame. I liked the trilogy.
    >
    > I loved the first two.. Hated number 3. Not sure why anyone likes
    > it. But to each his own.

    I also thought 3 was the worst of the bunch.

    I enjoyed certain parts of three but it was way too much "over the top" for
    me to really enjoy.

    Two was great. I loved the kung fu in that one. And the chase scene with
    the truck and the motorcycle. Overall I think 2 is the best "thrill ride"
    of the three, 1 is the best overall film, and 3 is just kind of "eh" to
    finish out the plot (in a less than satisfactory way).

    As for Matrix Online, I'll wait for reviews. I'm not even interested in a
    free beta.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >"Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
    >>> >

    >>> They practically had to beg for beta testers not so long ago by
    >>> giving accounts away at various fan sites. That's just how bad it
    >>> is.
    >>>
    >>> It's a real shame. I liked the trilogy.
    >>
    >> I loved the first two.. Hated number 3. Not sure why anyone likes
    >> it. But to each his own.
    >
    >I also thought 3 was the worst of the bunch.
    >
    >I enjoyed certain parts of three but it was way too much "over the top" for
    >me to really enjoy.
    >
    >Two was great. I loved the kung fu in that one. And the chase scene with
    >the truck and the motorcycle. Overall I think 2 is the best "thrill ride"
    >of the three, 1 is the best overall film, and 3 is just kind of "eh" to
    >finish out the plot (in a less than satisfactory way).

    About the best thing about the third one was that they didn't pull a
    hollywood happily ever after ending.

    >As for Matrix Online, I'll wait for reviews. I'm not even interested in a
    >free beta.

    The info on the third movie dvd made it sound pretty damn neat, but also
    complicated as all hell. Trying to do a "fighting moves" kind of game
    online with lag spikes and latency sounds like a recipe for disaster.

    If it actually turns out to be good, then I likely will give it a shot,
    but i'll let someone else be the guinea pig.

    Xocyll

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> writes:

    > About the best thing about the third one was that they didn't pull a
    > hollywood happily ever after ending.

    No, they pulled a Deus ex Machina "reset" ending instead. Dunno if
    that's much better.

    (Oh, and it hammered "Neo = Jesus" a bit heavily. In the first movie
    the connotations were merely hinted at, in the third they screamed at
    you.)

    MxO apparently has big problems, both in stability, gameplay and
    generating any interest beyond the link to the movies. After all, Star
    Wars: Galaxies is tied to the SW movie franchise, but fans were very
    disappointed to find out they only got to play that peon in the
    background on Mos Eisley. Fool me once and all that.

    In article <rtcl215aee28v00s7hnfl19p8uf0mnqvms@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    > Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    > the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >>"Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> once tried to test me with:
    >>> "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message

    >>> I loved the first two.. Hated number 3. Not sure why anyone likes
    >>> it. But to each his own.
    >>
    >>I also thought 3 was the worst of the bunch.
    >>
    >>I enjoyed certain parts of three but it was way too much "over the top" for
    >>me to really enjoy.
    >>
    >>Two was great. I loved the kung fu in that one. And the chase scene with
    >>the truck and the motorcycle. Overall I think 2 is the best "thrill ride"
    >>of the three, 1 is the best overall film, and 3 is just kind of "eh" to
    >>finish out the plot (in a less than satisfactory way).
    >
    > About the best thing about the third one was that they didn't pull a
    > hollywood happily ever after ending.

    What? They completely wimped out on the ending.
    The ending *should* have been that Neo was put back into the fields of human
    pods, to go through the whole thing again the next time round.

    "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message
    > "Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I know it's very preliminary, but the game seems to be a very badly done
    > > ripoff of City of Heroes. Interface is horrible, fights are kind of
    > > confusing and the world seems very dead.
    >
    > They missed the window where they should have marketed this
    > game. No one cares about the Matrix anymore. Especially since
    > the movies ended on such a sour, pathetic note. This MMORPG
    > will most certainly fail, even though I've said the same about WoW
    > and it's breaking records. (I don't get it by the way, I got so bored
    > to tears within a few months).

    I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually gets the axe.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 06 Mar 2005 10:51:18 +0100, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
    <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrotC:DRIVE_E

    >MxO apparently has big problems, both in stability, gameplay and
    >generating any interest beyond the link to the movies. After all, Star
    >Wars: Galaxies is tied to the SW movie franchise, but fans were very
    >disappointed to find out they only got to play that peon in the
    >background on Mos Eisley. Fool me once and all that.

    Uhm...what kind of morons figured they'd be playing Luke Skywalker?
    How stupid do you have to be to not realize that with several hundred
    thousand players, no one customer could get to be the 'hero' and have
    powers/privileges/etc which no other customer could have?

    What did people think? That they'd kill Darth Vader or blow up the
    Death Star? (Or, if they could, that they wouldn't be standing in line
    to the 8,532nd person to do it? That day?)
    Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
    "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
    once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
    http://www.mrlizard.com
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Lizard wrote:

    > Uhm...what kind of morons figured they'd be playing Luke Skywalker?
    > How stupid do you have to be to not realize that with several hundred
    > thousand players, no one customer could get to be the 'hero' and have
    > powers/privileges/etc which no other customer could have?
    >
    > What did people think? That they'd kill Darth Vader or blow up the
    > Death Star? (Or, if they could, that they wouldn't be standing in line
    > to the 8,532nd person to do it? That day?)

    Well, yeah. Isn't "moron" a perfect description of the typical Star
    Wars fan?

    <g,d,r!>
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
    > On 06 Mar 2005 10:51:18 +0100, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
    > <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrotC:DRIVE_E
    >
    >>MxO apparently has big problems, both in stability, gameplay and
    >>generating any interest beyond the link to the movies. After all, Star
    >>Wars: Galaxies is tied to the SW movie franchise, but fans were very
    >>disappointed to find out they only got to play that peon in the
    >>background on Mos Eisley. Fool me once and all that.

    > What did people think? That they'd kill Darth Vader or blow up the
    > Death Star? (Or, if they could, that they wouldn't be standing in line
    > to the 8,532nd person to do it? That day?)

    I think they were expecting Vader and the Emporer to reward them with more
    then a melon, holdout blaster and tattered jacket for doing a series of
    quests.....
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    that's correct, the one thing that I never could digest was watching
    people walking by Corellia with 1-3 rancors happily hopping behind
    them. Pokemon Galaxies would have been a more appropriate name for
    the game.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    I tried and didn't like it either. First, no first person view at all.
    That automatically kills it for me. But since it was a free playtest,
    might as well play it till release... well not even. It'll be a major
    flop
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> writes:

    > Uhm...what kind of morons figured they'd be playing Luke Skywalker?

    No, that they would play a hero in a Star Wars game, like in the many
    Star Wars games preceding it. Not that they would play a farmer or
    hunter in a sci-fi grind-a-thon that had a vague link to the Star Wars
    universe. Which was what they got.

    The movies aren't about gathering minerals or shooting animals. Why
    would a game that bears the Star Wars name be about things that don't
    occur in the movies?
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-03-08, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote:
    > Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> writes:
    >
    >> Uhm...what kind of morons figured they'd be playing Luke Skywalker?
    >
    > No, that they would play a hero in a Star Wars game, like in the many
    > Star Wars games preceding it. Not that they would play a farmer or
    > hunter in a sci-fi grind-a-thon that had a vague link to the Star Wars
    > universe. Which was what they got.
    >
    > The movies aren't about gathering minerals or shooting animals. Why
    > would a game that bears the Star Wars name be about things that don't
    > occur in the movies?

    It's changing now, rapidly which is causing folks like me who
    found killing animals and gathering minerals fun to leave. I
    might have said it in another post but you're quite right. If SWG
    didn't use the Star Wars License and just had the great economic
    engine it would have been a winner.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Knight37 wrote:

    > "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    > > "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > >> They practically had to beg for beta testers not so long ago by
    > >> giving accounts away at various fan sites. That's just how bad it
    > >> is.
    > > >
    > >> It's a real shame. I liked the trilogy.
    > >
    > > I loved the first two.. Hated number 3. Not sure why anyone likes
    > > it. But to each his own.
    >
    > I also thought 3 was the worst of the bunch.

    They have ruined 3 with those Dragon-Ballz-Super-Saiyan-style fighting at the
    end....me and my friends were sitting in the theater, eyes popped and jaws
    dropped and thinking: "WTF...is this Matrix or is this Dragon Ballz-starring
    Kianu Reeves?"

    "Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
    -Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 22:20:46 GMT, "Tron" <Imnot@home.net>
    wrotC:DRIVE_E

    >"Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
    >> On 06 Mar 2005 10:51:18 +0100, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
    >> <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrotC:DRIVE_E
    >>
    >>>MxO apparently has big problems, both in stability, gameplay and
    >>>generating any interest beyond the link to the movies. After all, Star
    >>>Wars: Galaxies is tied to the SW movie franchise, but fans were very
    >>>disappointed to find out they only got to play that peon in the
    >>>background on Mos Eisley. Fool me once and all that.
    >
    >> What did people think? That they'd kill Darth Vader or blow up the
    >> Death Star? (Or, if they could, that they wouldn't be standing in line
    >> to the 8,532nd person to do it? That day?)
    >
    >I think they were expecting Vader and the Emporer to reward them with more
    >then a melon, holdout blaster and tattered jacket for doing a series of
    >quests.....

    Well, I guess that's fair. :) Didn't they revamp the loot tables a
    while back?

    Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
    "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
    once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
    http://www.mrlizard.com
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 8 Mar 2005 06:18:03 -0800, wolfing1@yahoo.com wrotC:DRIVE_E

    >I tried and didn't like it either. First, no first person view at all.

    WHAT?

    To quote Keanau Reeves: "Whoa."

    I was unaware of that. It just dropped from 'maybe if I have some free
    time and money' to 'No'. Smeg. What were they THINKING?

    Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
    "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
    once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
    http://www.mrlizard.com
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> writes:

    > It's changing now, rapidly which is causing folks like me who
    > found killing animals and gathering minerals fun to leave. I
    > might have said it in another post but you're quite right. If SWG
    > didn't use the Star Wars License and just had the great economic
    > engine it would have been a winner.

    There is another game with a great economic engine, plus PvP and
    gorgeous graphics (as background to the "window system" the actual
    game takes place in :) )...

    http://www.eve-online.com/
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Yep, sound makes up for it, like you know... real life? Call it
    immersion.
    I only switch to third person view during some fights. Play 1st person
    view 99% of the time. There's a difference between feeling like you're
    there and feeling like I'm playing marionettes... pull right cord,
    'toon' pulls up his right leg, I just hate that feeling.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> looked up from
    reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
    the signs say:

    >Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> writes:
    >
    >> About the best thing about the third one was that they didn't pull a
    >> hollywood happily ever after ending.
    >
    >No, they pulled a Deus ex Machina "reset" ending instead. Dunno if
    >that's much better.
    >
    >(Oh, and it hammered "Neo = Jesus" a bit heavily. In the first movie
    >the connotations were merely hinted at, in the third they screamed at
    >you.)

    Well having Neo defeat Smith, then force peace on the machines, then
    have he and Trinity living happily ever after would have been a far
    worse ending than the one used.

    >MxO apparently has big problems, both in stability, gameplay and
    >generating any interest beyond the link to the movies. After all, Star
    >Wars: Galaxies is tied to the SW movie franchise, but fans were very
    >disappointed to find out they only got to play that peon in the
    >background on Mos Eisley. Fool me once and all that.

    The info on the dvd made it seem like it could be pretty neat IF they
    manage to pull it off. I'm sure as hell not going to be an early
    adopter though.

    Xocyll
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in

    >>I tried and didn't like it either. First, no first person view at all.

    > I was unaware of that. It just dropped from 'maybe if I have some free
    > time and money' to 'No'. Smeg. What were they THINKING?

    Probably something along the lines of "it's easier to watch your back if
    you can actually SEE your back".

    I can't understand how some people can play in first person view. I'd have
    to do three-sixty turns every five seconds just to make sure nobody was
    behind me.

    Making sure I'm not surprised from behind is SO much easier in third
    person. Much less stressful playing that way.

    --
    Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
    Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction

    "Samy Merchi" <samy@iki.fi> wrote in message
    > Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in
    >
    > >>I tried and didn't like it either. First, no first person view at all.
    >
    > > I was unaware of that. It just dropped from 'maybe if I have some free
    > > time and money' to 'No'. Smeg. What were they THINKING?
    >
    > Probably something along the lines of "it's easier to watch your back if
    > you can actually SEE your back".
    >
    > I can't understand how some people can play in first person view. I'd have
    > to do three-sixty turns every five seconds just to make sure nobody was
    > behind me.
    >
    > Making sure I'm not surprised from behind is SO much easier in third
    > person. Much less stressful playing that way.

    You can only see a few steps behind your back in most 3rd person
    views, depending on camera distance. If someone is 10 feet or more
    behind you, you won't see them either. They could still come running
    up and catch you off guard. You are only gaining a couple of steps of
    view range.

    Still, the reason some of us prefer a first person view is they find it to
    be more immersive. Also, with good 3D sound, you'll know if someone
    is coming behind you.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    wolfing1@yahoo.com writes:

    > Yep, sound makes up for it, like you know... real life? Call it
    > immersion.

    Don't argue "real world" ANYTHING with MMORPGs. And in real life you
    can move your head sideways - in first person games it seems your
    character has some sort of neck injury.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote on 10

    >> Yep, sound makes up for it, like you know... real life? Call it
    >> immersion.

    > Don't argue "real world" ANYTHING with MMORPGs. And in real life
    > you can move your head sideways - in first person games it seems
    > your character has some sort of neck injury.

    Yeah, in real life your average person has somewhere between
    140-180 degree field of vision, and with only slight turning around
    of the head, you can fairly easily have a very good feel for 270
    degrees around you. In a computer game, you're pretty much
    restricted to a third of that: there's no easy way to keep turning
    your head around subtly, constantly, to have a good perception of
    the area around you. Furthermore, sound is often quite poor
    compared to real life -- whereas in real life I would rely on the
    sound of footsteps to know if somebody's approaching behind me, I
    can't really rely on that in a computer game.

    In short, the restrictions inherent to a computer game (until a
    high quality virtual headset is perfected) necessitate third person
    view. *For me*.

    If some people like first person, whoopee for them.

    Me, I can't deal with it. Makes me feel claustrophobic.

    --
    Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
    Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction
    "*Astrolabe*...whirls...*twirls*!"
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Jim Vieira wrote:

    > Still, the reason some of us prefer a first person view is they find it to
    > be more immersive. Also, with good 3D sound, you'll know if someone
    > is coming behind you.

    Mind you, in the case of MxO, the character will be doing backflips,
    frontflips, sideflips and various other assorted acrobatics, right (I
    mean, the Matrix was a tech-demo for Wire Fu, amongst other things). An
    FPS view of all that would induce motion sickness fairly reliably :)

    --
    Remove the mess to reply.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Cataleptic" <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Jim Vieira wrote:
    > >
    > > Still, the reason some of us prefer a first person view is they find it
    > > be more immersive. Also, with good 3D sound, you'll know if someone
    > > is coming behind you.
    >
    > Mind you, in the case of MxO, the character will be doing backflips,
    > frontflips, sideflips and various other assorted acrobatics, right (I
    > mean, the Matrix was a tech-demo for Wire Fu, amongst other things). An
    > FPS view of all that would induce motion sickness fairly reliably :)

    I should have mentioned I was speaking generally, as the person I
    responded to seemed to be questioning first person view in general.
    I'm not fully famaliar with the Matrix Online. I can imagine how it
    would work better in 3rd person. Like I said, I was speaking in
    general.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Samy Merchi wrote:

    > Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in
    >
    > > > I tried and didn't like it either. First, no first person view at all.
    >
    > > I was unaware of that. It just dropped from 'maybe if I have some free
    > > time and money' to 'No'. Smeg. What were they THINKING?
    >
    > Probably something along the lines of "it's easier to watch your back if
    > you can actually SEE your back".
    >
    > I can't understand how some people can play in first person view. I'd have
    > to do three-sixty turns every five seconds just to make sure nobody was
    > behind me.
    >
    > Making sure I'm not surprised from behind is SO much easier in third
    > person. Much less stressful playing that way.
    <end quote>

    why not they just add a rear-view mirror like the race-sims did?

    "Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
    -Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "ChoyKw" <newsreader@newsgroup.com> wrote on 11 maalis 2005:

    >> Making sure I'm not surprised from behind is SO much easier in
    >> third person. Much less stressful playing that way.

    > why not they just add a rear-view mirror like the race-sims did?

    What would be kind of interesting is if they had picture-in-pictures,
    smaller frames inside the main screen, for left and right, and perhaps
    rear. I'm picturing, your left 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
    upper left corner, your right 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
    upper right corner, and maybe rear in the bottom middle. That'd allow
    you to see all around fairly quickly, equally easily as you can in
    real life.

    I suspect it'd take some getting used to, but I bet after a few weeks
    playing like that, it'd become second nature.

    --
    Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
    Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction
    "*Astrolabe*...whirls...*twirls*!"
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > What would be kind of interesting is if they had picture-in-pictures,
    > smaller frames inside the main screen, for left and right, and perhaps
    > rear. I'm picturing, your left 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
    > upper left corner, your right 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
    > upper right corner, and maybe rear in the bottom middle. That'd allow
    > you to see all around fairly quickly, equally easily as you can in
    > real life.

    I've seen something similar to that in a dungeon crawl shareware game.
    Four view windows of equal size, one for each of the cardinal directions.

    RelMark
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    it's still 10000% more immersive than watching a toon from his back,
    you can never feel like you're there
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:58:15 +0000 (UTC), Samy Merchi <samy@iki.fi>
    wrote:

    >"ChoyKw" <newsreader@newsgroup.com> wrote on 11 maalis 2005:
    >
    >>> Making sure I'm not surprised from behind is SO much easier in
    >>> third person. Much less stressful playing that way.
    >
    >> why not they just add a rear-view mirror like the race-sims did?
    >
    >What would be kind of interesting is if they had picture-in-pictures,
    >smaller frames inside the main screen, for left and right, and perhaps
    >rear. I'm picturing, your left 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
    >upper left corner, your right 90 degrees in a small PIP view on the
    >upper right corner, and maybe rear in the bottom middle. That'd allow
    >you to see all around fairly quickly, equally easily as you can in
    >real life.

    One of the features I miss from the original System Shock...

    >I suspect it'd take some getting used to, but I bet after a few weeks
    >playing like that, it'd become second nature.

    It was very easy to get used to.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    so you're telling me that, if I put my hands to the sides of my eyes
    thus reducing my field of vision just like playing in FPV is not more
    immersive that attaching a camera to my back with a pole hanging from
    10 feet and wearing goggles that show me what the camera shows?
    let's get real please, I agree the 3rd person view is tactically more
    convenient, but definitely not more immersive than 1st person view
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    wolfing1@yahoo.com writes:

    > it's still 10000% more immersive than watching a toon from his back,
    > you can never feel like you're there

    No it's not more immersive. "First person" in games is just a camera
    with no "real" player model attached to it (but there might be a
    weapon stuck to the camera). And the field of vision is, as has been
    pointed out, smaller than "in the real world". And the lack of
    pointing the "head" in a different direction than the direction you
    move in is exceedingly rare (generally only found in 'mech games).
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:
    > let's get real please, I agree the 3rd person view is tactically more
    > convenient, but definitely not more immersive than 1st person view

    If you are in 1st person view you will never be able to see your
    character do the cool moves, like the scorpion kick, side spins, virus
    attacks etc. First person view would be fine for games where all you
    have to do is look around, move, fire a weapon. In MxO hands, arms,
    legs, body etc. are all involved as you fight with your body. (You can
    "specialize" in long range fire and not bother with hand combat, but
    that will diminish the flavour of the Matrix, IMHO.)

    Mind you the game is still buggy in the stress test. I've had to do
    some quests more than once because of bugs, e.g. an NPC was ordered to
    follow you, but she did for 2 steps then just stood there, your guard
    wouldn't follow you up certain stairs etc. And it would not let me take
    another quest without finishing the one before, so I had to abort the
    mission and restart it, and hope I don't run into bugs.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    cant wait for taht game

    --
    HaSh1sH
    HaSh1sH's Profile: http://www.video-game-forum.net/member.php?userid=94

PC gaming Stress Test Games Matrix Video Games