lite-on LTR-52246S...not working properly

dharger

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
I have two problems with the drive (or so I think). First, the drive does not always read cd's correctly. For example, when I tried to install the Nero software that came with the drive, it does a partial install, then seems to not be able to find a file (file varies each attempt). It has happened with other CD's as well. Some CD's, such as Tribes2 are not even recognized.
Second, and bigger problem. I have tried using the Windows XP "drag and drop" feature to burn files to the CD. The files start to transfer, but never finish and the computer goes..."numb". If I try a small amount of files, sometimes it works. Sometimes, I get a very brief look at a blue screen and a reboot. The Nero software seems to burn the CD, but reboots after burning.

System: P4 3.06
Mobo: Asus P4PE
memory: 1 GIG corsair XMS (2 512 meg Dimms in 1 & 2) (I have run memtest86 to make sure the memory was working properly.)
HDD: 80 gig Western Digital WDC WD800JB-00CRA1
Creative 12X PC-DVD (needed it to get some things installed. works great and is one same 40 pin ribbin and CD-RW Slave)
Video: Asylum Ti-4600 (latest drivers from nVidia)
Sound: Sound Blaster Live (disabled on board sound)
Windows XP has the latest updates, etc.
DMA is on for the CD-RW.
Thanks in advance for any help. This forum rocks!
Darrell

Update: I tried copying an entire CD to my hard drive. It appeared to be almost complete when I got I/O device error. The CD-RW and HDD light then stayed on. Ideas? I know, I know, I'm idiot.
Thanks again.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dharger on 01/22/03 02:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
sounds like a defective cdrw try it in another system if you can imo you should think about returning it for an exchange

<b><font color=blue>Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most </b></font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
You can try a drive cleaning CD.
Or try it on another computer.
If neither work you may have unfortunately got a rare dud.

Missbehaviour by cd drives can also be cauzed by loose wires/cables, poor contacts and insufficient power from the PSU.

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

dharger

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. As is turns out, a buddy has the exact same drive. So, we swapped them out. Same problem, so it wasn't the cd-rw. Just for kicks I started moving gigs of files from c drive to d drive (one hard drive partitioned). I found that if I moved a large enough group of files it would even happen on the hard drive. I guess the problem was simply more noticable when trying burn cd's. I tried several utilites to check for problems and none where found. I ended up doing a repair install of XP. Fixed it. no more problems. Weird.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh. Good old windows eh?
Proly some explorer.exe corruption or driver bug.

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

TRENDING THREADS