Wireless Network Card with Win 8

redsoxfanatic76

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I have an older Dell Inspiron 531s that I just upgraded to Win 8 and since the upgrade, I've had issues with internet speed on my network.

I have plenty of RAM and the processer can definitely handle Win 8, so that's not the issue.

I'm running the desktop wirelessly from the network which has a linksys e4200. There are no obstructions from the router, which is approximately 25 feet away in the next room.

All of my other wireless devices work perfectly. I've got a tablet, 2 cell phones, and a Kindle that all get wifi speeds close to 20mb download. The desktop is only getting 1 - 2mb download.

I'm pretty sure it may involve something with the driver of the broadcam 802.11g network card that is in the desktop, but I'm not sure. I've read that it could be something with the driver, or something to do with NetBios? I have no idea what that is or how to change any of it.

I've looked everywhere for a broadcam network driver for win 8, but can't find anything. I'm guessing that because it's so old (2007), they don't even have one?

Do I have any options that might work? Or am I just going to have to get a new network adapter? If so, could I just go with a USB wifi? Are there any inexpensive options?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Not sure if this matters or not, but there was apparently a recent update to Win 8 that was pushed out, and the desktop received a failure message when it was 98% done installing. It reverted back to win 8 original installation.

redsoxfanatic76

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Got some more info for you...It has a Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card. I'm thinking I just need to update some drivers, but I can't find any that would work with Win 8. Anyone know if there is a certain driver that will work?