Freedom Force v 3rd Reich Demo problem

Hey, when I use the FF v 3R demo none of menu fonts work. All of the text in
the menus are invisible. Does anyone know how to fix this or if it requires
playing a demo from a specific site?

I d/l'ed mine from Yahoo!Games (and using Windows XP on an HP notebook).

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago wrote:
> Hey, when I use the FF v 3R demo none of menu fonts work. All of the
> text in the menus are invisible. Does anyone know how to fix this or
> if it requires playing a demo from a specific site?
> I d/l'ed mine from Yahoo!Games (and using Windows XP on an HP
> notebook).

You left out the most important bit of information - the video card.

But anyways, I had the exact same problem with an adventure game about a
year or so ago.

I forget what it was called, but if it's what I'm thinking your only hope is
with the manufacturer of the game releasing a patch because your video card
is not (fully) supported, I'll bet.

Of course they never released one for mine (Savage 3D on a ibm laptop), but
maybe you'll get lucky.

"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
> Ken from Chicago wrote:
>> Hey, when I use the FF v 3R demo none of menu fonts work. All of the
>> text in the menus are invisible. Does anyone know how to fix this or
>> if it requires playing a demo from a specific site?
>> I d/l'ed mine from Yahoo!Games (and using Windows XP on an HP
>> notebook).
>
> You left out the most important bit of information - the video card.
>
> But anyways, I had the exact same problem with an adventure game about a
> year or so ago.
>
> I forget what it was called, but if it's what I'm thinking your only hope
> is
> with the manufacturer of the game releasing a patch because your video
> card
> is not (fully) supported, I'll bet.
>
> Of course they never released one for mine (Savage 3D on a ibm laptop),
> but
> maybe you'll get lucky.

It's a notebook. How do you find out what video card is used?

-- Ken from Chicago

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:17:08 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

>It's a notebook. How do you find out what video card is used?

That sounds like a stock mainboard Video card - usually not very powerful
(and with some manufacturers, not very functional since they don't release
driver updates.)

The card, as detected by windows, can be found by opening the control
panel. Double click on System, click on Hardware, and click on Device
Manager. The device in question should be listed under Display Adapters.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:17:08 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
>It's a notebook. How do you find out what video card is used?

You must have an intel chipset-graphics card, which is not compatible
with DirectX 9, especially some kind of text display. Brad Wardell
spoke about it and Political machine, let's me search..
here, in the gamasutra postmortem, in what went wrong :
"When we decided to use DirectX 9, we assumed that was fine. We had no
idea that the game would have compatibility problems with some
hardware configurations. Our view was that, as long as we followed the
rules, we would be fine. We were wrong. Firstly, the main reason we
used DirectX 9 was to get access to easy TrueType font support. But it
turns out that the older integrated Intel video cards don't support
that. So essentially, we have a game that doesn't work on those
machines. There's no "workaround" for it, other than us scrapping
TrueType fonts and going back to encoding fonts again, which we don't
have the budget for (especially since this only affects one type of
video card).

But on a game that targets "casual gamers", you have a high number (in
absolute terms) of people who have these low-end video cards, and who
don't understand why a game that seems to have relatively mild
requirements wouldn't work on their system. This results in very mad
users. Unfortunately, mad users don't just return games, some of them
go to review sites and take out their anger there. It only takes one
angry guy giving a game a rating of 1 out of 10 on a game reviews
website to really mess up the overall rating. Even though this is
technically Intel's fault, the user doesn't care. If I had to do it
over again, I would probably have required us to put in some sort of
"fallback" mode with basic font support, so that the game would work
on those Intel machines to a certain degree. Alternatively, we could
have pushed Intel to fix their drivers before the game's release (the
newer integrated Intel chipsets--or at least, those that are less than
2 years old - work fine).
"

That could be your problem, TrueType support in DirectX9 on
integrated intel chipsets.

Guillaume

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:17:08 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

>"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
>> Ken from Chicago wrote:
>>> Hey, when I use the FF v 3R demo none of menu fonts work. All of the
>>> text in the menus are invisible. Does anyone know how to fix this or
>>> if it requires playing a demo from a specific site?
>>> I d/l'ed mine from Yahoo!Games (and using Windows XP on an HP
>>> notebook).
>>
>> You left out the most important bit of information - the video card.
>>
>> But anyways, I had the exact same problem with an adventure game about a
>> year or so ago.
>>
>> I forget what it was called, but if it's what I'm thinking your only hope
>> is
>> with the manufacturer of the game releasing a patch because your video
>> card
>> is not (fully) supported, I'll bet.
>>
>> Of course they never released one for mine (Savage 3D on a ibm laptop),
>> but
>> maybe you'll get lucky.
>
>It's a notebook. How do you find out what video card is used?
>
>-- Ken from Chicago

----->Start----->Settings------>Control
Panel----->System------>Hardware Tab------>Device
Manager------>Display Adapters

Lynley

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:17:08 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
> <kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>It's a notebook. How do you find out what video card is used?
>>

> That sounds like a stock mainboard Video card - usually not very powerful
> (and with some manufacturers, not very functional since they don't release
> driver updates.)
>
> The card, as detected by windows, can be found by opening the control
> panel. Double click on System, click on Hardware, and click on Device
> Manager. The device in question should be listed under Display Adapters.

Thanks. I was able to upgrade the graphics driver from Intel, rebooted and
voila. The menus appeared. Thanks.

-- Ken from Chicago

"Guillaume JAY" <gjay_diespammer-die@free.fr> wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:17:08 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
> <kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
>>It's a notebook. How do you find out what video card is used?
>
> You must have an intel chipset-graphics card, which is not compatible
> with DirectX 9, especially some kind of text display. Brad Wardell
> spoke about it and Political machine, let's me search..
> here, in the gamasutra postmortem, in what went wrong :
> "When we decided to use DirectX 9, we assumed that was fine. We had no
> idea that the game would have compatibility problems with some
> hardware configurations. Our view was that, as long as we followed the
> rules, we would be fine. We were wrong. Firstly, the main reason we
> used DirectX 9 was to get access to easy TrueType font support. But it
> turns out that the older integrated Intel video cards don't support
> that. So essentially, we have a game that doesn't work on those
> machines. There's no "workaround" for it, other than us scrapping
> TrueType fonts and going back to encoding fonts again, which we don't
> have the budget for (especially since this only affects one type of
> video card).
>
> But on a game that targets "casual gamers", you have a high number (in
> absolute terms) of people who have these low-end video cards, and who
> don't understand why a game that seems to have relatively mild
> requirements wouldn't work on their system. This results in very mad
> users. Unfortunately, mad users don't just return games, some of them
> go to review sites and take out their anger there. It only takes one
> angry guy giving a game a rating of 1 out of 10 on a game reviews
> website to really mess up the overall rating. Even though this is
> technically Intel's fault, the user doesn't care. If I had to do it
> over again, I would probably have required us to put in some sort of
> "fallback" mode with basic font support, so that the game would work
> on those Intel machines to a certain degree. Alternatively, we could
> have pushed Intel to fix their drivers before the game's release (the
> newer integrated Intel chipsets--or at least, those that are less than
> 2 years old - work fine).
> "
>
> That could be your problem, TrueType support in DirectX9 on
> integrated intel chipsets.
>
> Guillaume

Thanks. Once I knew the problem I upgraded the graphics driver from Intel,
rebooted the the menu text was restored. Thanks again!

-- Ken from Chicago

"Lynley James" <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:17:08 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
> <kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You left out the most important bit of information - the video card.
>>>
>>> But anyways, I had the exact same problem with an adventure game about a
>>> year or so ago.
>>>
>>> I forget what it was called, but if it's what I'm thinking your only
>>> hope
>>> is
>>> with the manufacturer of the game releasing a patch because your video
>>> card
>>> is not (fully) supported, I'll bet.
>>>
>>> Of course they never released one for mine (Savage 3D on a ibm laptop),
>>> but
>>> maybe you'll get lucky.
>>
>>It's a notebook. How do you find out what video card is used?
>>
>>-- Ken from Chicago
>>

> ----->Start----->Settings------>Control
> Panel----->System------>Hardware Tab------>Device
> Manager------>Display Adapters
>

> Lynley

Thanks. I upgraded the driver from Intel and that did the trick.

-- Ken from Chicago

If you have to ask what video card you have,then that's most likely the
problem. It sounds like you need updated drivers. Check in the Control
Panel/System/Hardware/Device manager or right click on your screen for video
properties

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> If you have to ask what video card you have,then that's most likely the
> problem. It sounds like you need updated drivers. Check in the Control
> Panel/System/Hardware/Device manager or right click on your screen for
> video
> properties
> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > You left out the most important bit of information - the video card.
>> >
>> > But anyways, I had the exact same problem with an adventure game about
>> > year or so ago.
>> >
>> > I forget what it was called, but if it's what I'm thinking your only
> hope
>> > is
>> > with the manufacturer of the game releasing a patch because your video
>> > card
>> > is not (fully) supported, I'll bet.
>> >
>> > Of course they never released one for mine (Savage 3D on a ibm laptop),
>> > but
>> > maybe you'll get lucky.
>>
>> It's a notebook. How do you find out what video card is used?
>>
>> -- Ken from Chicago

That was it precisely. The upgraded driver restored the menu text Comics
font to the demo. Thanks much!

-- Ken from Chicago

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:23:21 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Lynley James" <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:17:08 -0600, "Ken from Chicago"
>> <kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message

>>>It's a notebook. How do you find out what video card is used?
>>>
>>>-- Ken from Chicago
>>>

>> ----->Start----->Settings------>Control
>> Panel----->System------>Hardware Tab------>Device
>> Manager------>Display Adapters
>>

>> Lynley
>
>Thanks. I upgraded the driver from Intel and that did the trick.
>
>-- Ken from Chicago

No worries. By the way I wouldn't have been offended if you didn't
thank me personally :O)

Lynley