Might & Magic 6 - We are not VILE!

Hi,
We're at level 13 and I noticed that merchants started to say rude
things to us like 'thanks a lot cheapskate'? Then at some point I
noticed that our personality (not sure if that's the category) was
listed as VILE? How can that be, we have never treated anyone badly,
and haven't even offered bribes or begged? If anything I thought we
were a little on the Saintly side (translation: easy marks) Help!
Anyone know how we can get back to at least neutral, where we were for
most of the game?

Thanks
Tucsonjim

PS: This game is such a pleasure, we get our butts whipped a couple of
times, and then go out, get stronger, and go back and even the
score...YES!
62 answers Last reply
More about might magic vile

    "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > We're at level 13 and I noticed that merchants started to say rude
    > things to us like 'thanks a lot cheapskate'? Then at some point I
    > noticed that our personality (not sure if that's the category) was
    > listed as VILE? How can that be, we have never treated anyone badly,
    > and haven't even offered bribes or begged? If anything I thought we
    > were a little on the Saintly side (translation: easy marks) Help!
    > Anyone know how we can get back to at least neutral, where we were for
    > most of the game?

    The merchants lip you off if you come into their shop and don't buy anything
    and have a certain amount of gold on you (I think its 10,000gp or more)

    As for the reputation... things that can affect reputation:
    - There are "good" and "evil" quests... if you are doing evil quests
    your rep goes down
    - Some actions are considered "evil" and doing them will lower your rep
    (these are sometimes even actions you can't avoid doing like "push that
    button on the sarcophagus" or "grab that skull off the table")
    - Picking up bones and selling them lowers reputation
    - Killing a townsperson will lower reputation
    - Area effect spells in or near town can lower reputation if somebody is
    accidently hit
    - Donating to temples makes reputation go up
    - Bribing and beating NPCs can lower rep (did they let you rough them up
    in MM6? I can't remember that far back)
    - Some things are just "evil" for no real reason and you don't find out
    until later (I think there is a guy who can heal you on one map for a set
    fee, but in doing so your rep goes down)

    Overall reputation doesn't have much impact on the game... it affects the
    NPCs you can hire and then the getting of the Light and Dark mastery (you
    have to be the extremes of good or evil to master those spells)

    If you want to bump your reputation up then you should donate at the temples
    and then do some of the council and promotion quests (I think you can only
    donate money and get your rep to a certain level... so you might want to
    donate first to be a "GOOD" guy and then do the quests and get up to
    "saintly" so you can get Light mastery)

    If you play on to MM7 they actually did some stuff with the reputation that
    makes it more important

    "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > We're at level 13 and I noticed that merchants started to say rude
    > things to us like 'thanks a lot cheapskate'? Then at some point I
    > noticed that our personality (not sure if that's the category) was
    > listed as VILE? How can that be, we have never treated anyone badly,
    > and haven't even offered bribes or begged? If anything I thought we
    > were a little on the Saintly side (translation: easy marks) Help!
    > Anyone know how we can get back to at least neutral, where we were for
    > most of the game?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tucsonjim
    >
    > PS: This game is such a pleasure, we get our butts whipped a couple of
    > times, and then go out, get stronger, and go back and even the
    > score...YES!

    We of junction C, sub-matrix 32 acknowledge your existence. Please proceed
    to section 12E for integration back into the collective.

    Also, certain NPCs will raise or lower your reputation. by properly
    choosing NPCs, you can stay a couple levels above the bottom or below
    the top and still get your mastery.

    The guy who heals you for cheap is supposedly aligned with the temple
    of Baa (I believe), and so you lose reputation for using his services.

    "The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Also, certain NPCs will raise or lower your reputation. by properly
    > choosing NPCs, you can stay a couple levels above the bottom or below
    > the top and still get your mastery.
    >
    > The guy who heals you for cheap is supposedly aligned with the temple
    > of Baa (I believe), and so you lose reputation for using his services.

    Ah thats right... this also reminds me that in MM6 there were 2 kinds of
    temples: the "normal" ones and then the temples of baa.

    Using the temple of Baa (ie: healing) was a "bad" thing as well

    Hmm... I'm starting to get sketchy on what I can remember about this game,
    maybe its tiime to dig it out of the bottom of the drawer and play it again

    "Augustus" <Imperial.Palace@Rome.com> wrote in message

    > "The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Also, certain NPCs will raise or lower your reputation. by properly
    >> choosing NPCs, you can stay a couple levels above the bottom or below
    >> the top and still get your mastery.
    >>
    >> The guy who heals you for cheap is supposedly aligned with the temple
    >> of Baa (I believe), and so you lose reputation for using his services.
    >
    > Ah thats right... this also reminds me that in MM6 there were 2 kinds of
    > temples: the "normal" ones and then the temples of baa.
    >
    > Using the temple of Baa (ie: healing) was a "bad" thing as well

    I would have thought so too, but I used the temples of Baa for healing all
    the time and don't recall any hit to reputation. It seems to me I kept an
    eye out for just that and never saw it--but maybe my memory's faulty here.
    They sure are cheap, and in one or two places they're the only temples
    available anyway (e.g., in Free Haven before you get the regular temple
    repaired).

    ?? I don't remember any "guy who heals you for cheap" outside of an actual
    temple of Baa.

    > Hmm... I'm starting to get sketchy on what I can remember about this game,
    > maybe its tiime to dig it out of the bottom of the drawer and play it
    > again

    Me too. In fact I'm replaying MM7 right now. It's been so long that while
    many places and situations are familiar, there are some that I don't recall
    at all and could even swear I've never seen before.

    Nostrobino wrote:

    > Me too. In fact I'm replaying MM7 right now. It's been so long that while
    > many places and situations are familiar, there are some that I don't recall
    > at all and could even swear I've never seen before.

    Are you using Windows XP? I just reinstalled MM7 myself, and discovered
    I had to turn the sound acceleration off in DirectX to prevent nasty
    echoes. Are there any other things I should do to prevent XP
    incompatibilities?

    Cheers,
    Grant

    "Grant Anderson" <gpsanderson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Nostrobino wrote:
    >
    >> Me too. In fact I'm replaying MM7 right now. It's been so long that while
    >> many places and situations are familiar, there are some that I don't
    >> recall at all and could even swear I've never seen before.
    >
    > Are you using Windows XP? I just reinstalled MM7 myself, and discovered I
    > had to turn the sound acceleration off in DirectX to prevent nasty echoes.
    > Are there any other things I should do to prevent XP incompatibilities?

    No, actually I haven't tried running any of the Might and Magic games under
    Windows XP. I did run MM6 under Win2000 and that worked fine, but when I
    tried MM7 on the same machine it wouldn't work. I don't recall now what the
    problem was. It does seem strange that the newer game would not run under
    Win2000 when the older game would, but I'm sort of used to the idea that the
    M&M games seem to produce different quirks on different machines.

    I'm running MM7 under WinMe, and it does some funny stuff on that machine
    when starting up, but once I get it running it runs all right. Probably
    Win98 is best, though.

    N.

    > Cheers,
    > Grant

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:52:46 +1300, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Grant
    Anderson <gpsanderson@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Are you using Windows XP? I just reinstalled MM7 myself, and discovered
    >I had to turn the sound acceleration off in DirectX to prevent nasty
    >echoes. Are there any other things I should do to prevent XP
    >incompatibilities?

    I just finished M&M 7 a couple of weeks ago on WinXP, and I had to disable
    both accelerated video and accelerated audio to get the game to run at all.

    I turned them off from the M&M 7 set up screen; didn't mess with the Windows
    DirectX settings.

    If I enabled either one, the game wouldn't even start: I'd just go back to
    the desktop.

    Other than that, the game ran fine for me on WinXP.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    .... And it was written in fiery pixels: FREE UNLIMITED ACCESS FOR ALL!!

    Hi,
    Grackle, Augustus, Qurqirish Dragon, Nostrobino, and Nick, thanks for
    the help and for your comments. I don't know how you guys/girls figure
    thest things out but your comments sure make the game more enjoyable
    for me. I'm never looking for all the answers, but just enough to keep
    me from throwing something at my monitor.

    Based on your comments I can think of a couple of things that might
    have gotten our rep to VILE. One, we donated to the Temple of Baa's
    not realizing they were evil. Two, we sold a lot of bones, I think we
    picked up about 14,000 g from bones.

    You know as far as accidentally killing a NPC, I did it and was almost
    immediately attacked by another NPC, so I reloaded the game to an
    earlier save.

    I have two other questions: what the heck does a weapon rating of 5+
    2d4 + 5 mean? Are they using some kind of higher math to rate weapons
    now?

    Another question, my Archer has an EXPERT rating at disarm traps but
    I've never seen him disarm even a simple one? I must be missing
    something. I'm in FreeHaven now and some of the treasure chests blow so
    hard that they kill 2 or 3 of my party?

    Thanks
    Tucsonjim
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Hi,
    > Grackle, Augustus, Qurqirish Dragon, Nostrobino, and Nick, thanks for
    > the help and for your comments. I don't know how you guys/girls figure
    > thest things out but your comments sure make the game more enjoyable
    > for me. I'm never looking for all the answers, but just enough to keep
    > me from throwing something at my monitor.
    >
    > Based on your comments I can think of a couple of things that might
    > have gotten our rep to VILE. One, we donated to the Temple of Baa's
    > not realizing they were evil. Two, we sold a lot of bones, I think we
    > picked up about 14,000 g from bones.
    >
    > You know as far as accidentally killing a NPC, I did it and was almost
    > immediately attacked by another NPC, so I reloaded the game to an
    > earlier save.

    I think that's probably happened to all of us. It can happen in any of a
    number of ways, e.g. if you fire a flock of arrows at a bad critter all at
    once and he goes down while there's still an arrow on the way, it may kill a
    peasant standing behind or near him. This will make all the other peasants
    nearby pissed at you and they'll attack, ineffectually since they're only
    peasants but their attacks can be a minor nuisance. Fortunately it seems to
    be only the peasants in the immediate vicinity and after a while they forget
    about it anyway. It works the same way with other kinds of usually peaceable
    people. If you have Wizard Eye active (always a good idea anyway) it will
    show you which people are now hostile and which aren't.

    > I have two other questions: what the heck does a weapon rating of 5+
    > 2d4 + 5 mean? Are they using some kind of higher math to rate weapons
    > now?

    The 2d4 +5 means the weapon is capable of delivering that much damage in hit
    points to an enemy. That is, a number equal to a roll of two four-sided
    dice, plus five. In other words, anywhere from 7 hit points (2 x 1, + 5) to
    13 hit points (2 x 4, +5). The other 5+ is an attack value, identified as
    such, which I think is just added to the total. However, the weapon may not
    actually do anywhere near that much damage, depending on the armor value of
    the enemy you're hitting. Some weapons also have an extra capability like so
    many points of electrical damage, etc. If the enemy you're attacking has
    immunity to electrical damage, that extra capability will be useless in the
    particular case.

    > Another question, my Archer has an EXPERT rating at disarm traps but
    > I've never seen him disarm even a simple one? I must be missing
    > something. I'm in FreeHaven now and some of the treasure chests blow so
    > hard that they kill 2 or 3 of my party?

    With expert at disarm traps you should be able to disarm most traps, at
    least until later (farther) regions of the game where they are more heavily
    trapped. It's been so long I don't remember whether there are any really bad
    traps around Free Haven, but I shouldn't think so. You are sure you have
    *that* character selected when you open a chest or whatever, right? If you
    have some other member of your party selected, your archer's ability with
    traps won't do any good.

    N.

    > Thanks
    > Tucsonjim

  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    tj> I have two other questions: what the heck does a weapon rating of
    tj> 5+ 2d4 + 5 mean? Are they using some kind of higher math to rate
    tj> weapons now?

    Comes from the Dungeons & Dragons convention of tossing around "dice" to
    sort out points in combat. 2d4+5 means "toss 2 four-sided dice and add 5",
    i.e. the weapon does between 7 and 13 points of damage, with the mean of 10
    being more likely than the extremes.

    tj> Another question, my Archer has an EXPERT rating at disarm traps
    tj> but I've never seen him disarm even a simple one? I must be missing
    tj> something. I'm in FreeHaven now and some of the treasure chests
    tj> blow so hard that they kill 2 or 3 of my party?

    You might have the wrong party member "high-lighted" when you open the
    chest. You need to click first on your archer, then on the chest. Another
    possibility is that you are in areas that are meant for later in the game,
    when your archer is a disarm master.

    Regards, Hartmut "boom ... sorry" Schmider
    --
    Hartmut Schmider, Queen's University

    We are capable of sacrificing ourselves for sentiment.
    Sentimentality exacts the sacrifice of others.
    Yoritomo-Tashi
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Hi,
    Thanks Nostrobino for the really good help. I do have the wizards eye
    but never thought to use use it in a town to check NPC's, good tip. And
    to know that a NPC will forget that you hurt him, that's good to know
    as well.

    So tht's what the 5+ 2d4 +5 means. It is like you say, there's so much
    going on with your firepower, there armor, immunities, etc., that I
    guess you really have to get in there and see what happens.

    I know that I never paid attention to what character was chosen when we
    opened a chest, but I will now, likely that's why we were getting blown
    up.

    Question: what do you think is the most important spell to have, like a
    must have?
    Thanks
    Tucsonjim
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <1110391379.055361.255100@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    jim@kanewebdesign.com says...

    >Hi,
    >Grackle, Augustus, Qurqirish Dragon, Nostrobino, and Nick, thanks for
    >the help and for your comments. I don't know how you guys/girls figure
    >thest things out but your comments sure make the game more enjoyable
    >for me. I'm never looking for all the answers, but just enough to keep
    >me from throwing something at my monitor.

    >Based on your comments I can think of a couple of things that might
    >have gotten our rep to VILE. One, we donated to the Temple of Baa's
    >not realizing they were evil. Two, we sold a lot of bones, I think we
    >picked up about 14,000 g from bones.

    >You know as far as accidentally killing a NPC, I did it and was almost
    >immediately attacked by another NPC, so I reloaded the game to an
    >earlier save.

    >I have two other questions: what the heck does a weapon rating of 5+
    >2d4 + 5 mean? Are they using some kind of higher math to rate weapons
    >now?

    >Another question, my Archer has an EXPERT rating at disarm traps but
    >I've never seen him disarm even a simple one? I must be missing
    >something. I'm in FreeHaven now and some of the treasure chests blow so
    >hard that they kill 2 or 3 of my party?

    The number 2d4 +5 is the damage rating of your weapon. It translates to roll 2
    4-sided dice and add 5. 2d4 gives a hit range from 2-8, the +5 makes it 7-13
    points of damage.

    The disarm trap skill is used automatically when opening the chest. Of course,
    the person with the skill should be selected to open open the chest.

    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 9 Mar 2005 10:02:59 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "tucsonjim"
    <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote:

    >Another question, my Archer has an EXPERT rating at disarm traps but
    >I've never seen him disarm even a simple one? I must be missing
    >something. I'm in FreeHaven now and some of the treasure chests blow so
    >hard that they kill 2 or 3 of my party?

    It's been a while since I played M&M6, but I think the Disarm Trap skill
    works the same in that game as in M&M7 and M&M8.

    All the trapped chests in a map area have the same trap level. If your
    character's Disarm skill is the same as or higher than that, you'll
    successful disarm the chests without setting off any traps. If you're skill
    isn't higher, then you won't be able to disable any of the traps.

    I.e., it's an 'all or nothing' skill: there's no percentage chance of
    success or failure. It always works or always fails, depending on your
    skill compared to the difficulty level of the trap.

    If I remember right, Expert Disarm Trap doubles your skill rating: if you
    have four points of skill, Expert rating doubles it to eight. So traps with
    an eight or less difficulty would never blow up, but higher level traps will
    always blow up.

    At one point in M&M6 I remember running into a batch of chests that kept
    blowing up and killing party members.

    I went to town and added a Burglar NPC to my party, and the boost to my
    Disarm Trap skill let me open the chests.

    Note that Burglars say they work for free: they're lying. The don't take a
    fee when you hire them, but they steal 20% of any gold you find. So what I
    did was keep the Burglar long enough to open all the chests I was having
    trouble with, but I didn't take anything out of the chests. Once he'd
    helped me open the chests, I kicked him out of the party and went back and
    got the loot; that way, he never had a chance to steal and I got to keep all
    the money.

    Nasty, but I figure it's what he deserved for lying. Besides, he did say
    he'd work for free because he wanted the practice; so that's what I let him
    do...

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    "Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <ripu21lijbmgv5o3nd6okgqu0dusqk47ac@4ax.com>, tanstaafl@pobox.com
    says...

    >At one point in M&M6 I remember running into a batch of chests that kept
    >blowing up and killing party members.

    >I went to town and added a Burglar NPC to my party, and the boost to my
    >Disarm Trap skill let me open the chests.

    >Note that Burglars say they work for free: they're lying. The don't take a
    >fee when you hire them, but they steal 20% of any gold you find. So what I
    >did was keep the Burglar long enough to open all the chests I was having
    >trouble with, but I didn't take anything out of the chests. Once he'd
    >helped me open the chests, I kicked him out of the party and went back and
    >got the loot; that way, he never had a chance to steal and I got to keep all
    >the money.

    >Nasty, but I figure it's what he deserved for lying. Besides, he did say
    >he'd work for free because he wanted the practice; so that's what I let him
    >do...

    That's a good trick. I hope I can remember that when I get around to replaying
    M&M6.

    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "tj" == tucsonjim

    tj> Question: what do you think is the most important spell to have,
    tj> like a must have?

    Initially: Wizzard's Eye, Sparks, Heal Wounds
    Later: Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc
    Eventually: Lloyd's Beacon, Town Portal, Fly, Implosion, Meteor Shower

    The game comes to a point where it is absolutely necessary to be able to
    flip back and forth between where the action is and where you can heal
    up. For that you need Town Portal (escape to town) and Lloyd's Beacon
    (return to the action). Flying is necessary to handle half a million Titans
    and Dragons later on. Meteor Shower takes care of the gritters outside,
    Implosion inside.

    Regards, Hartmut
    --
    Hartmut Schmider, Queen's University

    We are capable of sacrificing ourselves for sentiment.
    Sentimentality exacts the sacrifice of others.
    Yoritomo-Tashi
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Hi,
    > Thanks Nostrobino for the really good help. I do have the wizards eye
    > but never thought to use use it in a town to check NPC's, good tip. And
    > to know that a NPC will forget that you hurt him, that's good to know
    > as well.
    >
    > So tht's what the 5+ 2d4 +5 means.

    Actually I see I was wrong about the "attack" value. I checked when I got
    back into MM7 last night, and what the attack value does is give some
    increased chance of hitting, not an increase in damage (in hit points).

    BTW, you can check a *lot* of things in the game, including that, by
    right-clicking on the various statistics for your characters as well as
    various other things. MM7 makes good use of the right-click to supply
    information. When in doubt, right-click on something and see if you get any
    information about it. This applies to most of the character stats, skills,
    etc. and also NPCs and monsters, even at a great distance.

    It is like you say, there's so much
    > going on with your firepower, there armor, immunities, etc., that I
    > guess you really have to get in there and see what happens.
    >
    > I know that I never paid attention to what character was chosen when we
    > opened a chest, but I will now, likely that's why we were getting blown
    > up.
    >
    > Question: what do you think is the most important spell to have, like a
    > must have?

    Well, one of your characters may start off with Wizard Eye (I think the
    archer does), and that's a must-have. You need Heal of course, and I'm
    trying to remember whether MM7 also has Power Heal (I think it does) which
    is much better, casts healing on your whole party at once. I haven't come
    across that yet in this replay, but I'm pretty sure it's there, unless I'm
    confusing MM7 with one of the other M&M games. Other healing-type spells for
    curing poison, disease, paralysis, insanity, etc. are useful too, as are
    spells for raising the dead, etc.

    Attack spells that I like are Flying Fist, Fireball, Lightning Bolt and
    (later on) Meteor Shower, which is probably everyone's favorite. Acid Burst
    works well against some monsters. Another favorite of mine is Berserk, which
    is fantastic when it works. (It turns one monster against another (or
    others), and that is really something to see, especially with heavyweight
    bad critters like minotaurs! They will usually whack away at each other with
    axes until one is dead. But the spell doesn't always work.) You should try
    various attack spells on different monsters; don't give up on a spell
    because it doesn't work well against one kind of monster, as it may be
    terrific against other kinds.

    For traveling, Town Portal is terrific and so is Lloyd's Beacon, though
    neither of those will be available to you until somewhat later in the game.
    Both require water magic at the master level, and you can't get that until
    you get to Nighon, which you probably won't be able to reach for a while.
    You will be able to get Water Walk quite early and that's a must-have, as is
    Fly which you probably won't be able to get until a little later. Feather
    Fall is also a good thing to have in many situations. Jump comes in very
    handy in a few cases also.

    Those are most of my own favorites, but other players will probably have
    different choices.

    N.

    > Thanks
    > Tucsonjim

  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in message

    > "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> Thanks Nostrobino for the really good help. I do have the wizards eye
    >> but never thought to use use it in a town to check NPC's, good tip. And
    >> to know that a NPC will forget that you hurt him, that's good to know
    >> as well.
    >>
    >> So tht's what the 5+ 2d4 +5 means.
    >
    > Actually I see I was wrong about the "attack" value. I checked when I got
    > back into MM7 last night, and what the attack value does is give some
    > increased chance of hitting, not an increase in damage (in hit points).
    >
    > BTW, you can check a *lot* of things in the game, including that, by
    > right-clicking on the various statistics for your characters as well as
    > various other things. MM7 makes good use of the right-click to supply
    > information. When in doubt, right-click on something and see if you get
    > any information about it. This applies to most of the character stats,
    > skills, etc. and also NPCs and monsters, even at a great distance.

    Oops, sorry, I'm talking about MM7 and you were asking about MM6. It's so
    long since I've played that I can't remember what the differences are
    between the two games. *In general* they are similar and play similarly, but
    MM7 does have some improvements over the earlier game. I'm not sure whether
    MM6 makes use of the right click.

    The same applies to my later comments about spells. Some of the ones I
    mentioned are in MM6, but probably not all of them.

    Oh well. When you have a chance, get MM7 too. ;-)

    N.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On that special day, Hartmut Schmider, (hs7@post.queensu.ca) said...

    > Initially: Wizzard's Eye, Sparks, Heal Wounds

    Bless, Fate, and your party will be considerably better in killing
    monsters.

    > Later: Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc

    Rewgeneration. Initially, it is expensive to cast, and not very
    effective, but with increased level, it will become invaluable. Get
    rings and amulets of (magic) regeneration as soon as possible, too.

    > Eventually: Lloyd's Beacon, Town Portal, Fly, Implosion, Meteor Shower

    Immolation. Works through closed doors, which can be great in some
    places. Enchant. Good for creating magical items from normal ones. Fire
    Aura. Of no use in lower levels, but once you reached mastery, the
    effect will be permanent. Find a normal weapon, enchant it, and sell it
    to merchants.

    And the best of all is the big light magic spell, Day of Protection (I
    didn't use hour of power that much).

    Gabriele Neukam

    Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

    just so, at no cost.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in

    > On that special day, Hartmut Schmider, (hs7@post.queensu.ca) said...
    >
    >> Initially: Wizzard's Eye, Sparks, Heal Wounds
    >
    > Bless, Fate, and your party will be considerably better in killing
    > monsters.
    >
    >> Later: Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc
    >
    > Rewgeneration. Initially, it is expensive to cast, and not very
    > effective, but with increased level, it will become invaluable. Get
    > rings and amulets of (magic) regeneration as soon as possible, too.

    Wrong game. Regeneration wasn't implemented until MM 7. I agree that an
    object that regenerates mana is extremely useful. It may be worth a
    couple of saves and reload when you first get to a town with a shop that
    may have one. (I think the armor shop inside castly ironfist is a good
    choice). If you powerplay don't bother. Just get Lloyd's beacon early and
    put a waypoint outside a temple or the fountain in Bootleg Bay.

    >> Eventually: Lloyd's Beacon, Town Portal, Fly, Implosion, Meteor Shower
    >
    > Immolation. Works through closed doors, which can be great in some
    > places.

    I think you think of ring of fire, which goes through walls and is great
    for taking out hordes of weak monsters that occasionally surrounds you.
    Immolation is line of sight only.

    > Enchant. Good for creating magical items from normal ones.

    Occassionally you get useful stuff, and it is a perfect source of income
    to enchant stuff before you sell it.

    > Fire
    > Aura. Of no use in lower levels, but once you reached mastery, the
    > effect will be permanent. Find a normal weapon, enchant it, and sell it
    > to merchants.

    Again not implemented until MM 7.

    > And the best of all is the big light magic spell, Day of Protection (I
    > didn't use hour of power that much).

    The best spells in MM 6 are meteor shower and whatever it is the
    corresponding air spell is called. Due to a bug you can target monsters
    before they start moving in real time, letting you fly around nuking
    dragons and titans at no risk. Boring, but you sure level up quickly.

    Once you've played through the game search the net for accounts on how to
    speedplay MM 6, it can be completed in surprisingly few days (game time).
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Hartmut Schmider wrote:

    > > "tj" == tucsonjim
    >
    > tj> Question: what do you think is the most important spell to have,
    > tj> like a must have?
    >
    > Initially: Wizzard's Eye, Sparks, Heal Wounds
    > Later: Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc
    > Eventually: Lloyd's Beacon, Town Portal, Fly, Implosion, Meteor Shower
    >
    > The game comes to a point where it is absolutely necessary to be able to
    > flip back and forth between where the action is and where you can heal
    > up. For that you need Town Portal (escape to town) and Lloyd's Beacon
    > (return to the action). Flying is necessary to handle half a million Titans
    > and Dragons later on. Meteor Shower takes care of the gritters outside,
    > Implosion inside.
    >
    > Regards, Hartmut
    <end quote>

    ever tried Armageddon? (I'm not sure if it's in which one of MM6/7/8) A
    darkside spell IIRC. Fun to cast near town, whoopieeee!

    I cleared out a whole town in one cast while fighting some monster near the
    town.

    "Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
    -Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Hartmut, Gabriele, Thomas, ChoyKw, Nostrobino, Ken, and Nick, thanks a
    whole lot for your comments, great stuff. Some of it makes me feel a
    little on the dumb side. Like how did I miss that, or why didn't I try
    that! Oh well!

    Here are some good pointers that I picked up from this thread:

    - Lloyd's Beacon returns you to battle.
    - Use Bless & Fate to better kill monsters.
    - Immolition works through closed doors.
    - Enchant items before selling.
    - Get Lloyd's Beacon & put a way point at Bootleg Bay temple.
    - Ring of Fire goes through doors.
    - Right-click to get info on a lot of things.

    I like the this forum because unlike all the hints and tips out there,
    this forum always has the answers! Before I post, I try to find the
    answers on my own, but after I go around in the same circle for 3 hrs,
    I say it's time to head for the forum, and consult with the
    'frustration busters' (that's you!).

    Thanks again.
    Tucsonjim
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Hi Nostrobino,

    Actually TOWN PORTAL works at the EXPERT level which is where my team
    is at this time, I'm not sure about Lloyd's Beacon cause I haven't
    tried it yet but will be trying it tonight.

    Hey, you know what I think is fun, going to towns that you have no
    business being in because you're way to weak. I like to sneak in, buy
    up some good stuff and then see if I can get out alive. When you do
    that, all of a sudden you realize that your not as tough as you thought
    you were getting to be.

    The toughest is if the only way out is by horse and there are no runs
    until the next day, uh-oh, because in a tough town as soon as it turns
    dark...gulp! And if you dare to camp, that's pretty much a 100% chance
    of an encounter. I could portal out but I don't because that takes all
    the fun out of it! I like fighting for my life, no problem because I am
    imortal, one of the bennys of the fantasy world as compared with the
    real world.

    Tucsonjim
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Hartmut, Gabriele, Thomas, ChoyKw, Nostrobino, Ken, and Nick, thanks a
    > whole lot for your comments, great stuff. Some of it makes me feel a
    > little on the dumb side. Like how did I miss that, or why didn't I try
    > that! Oh well!
    >
    > Here are some good pointers that I picked up from this thread:
    >
    > - Lloyd's Beacon returns you to battle.
    > - Get Lloyd's Beacon & put a way point at Bootleg Bay temple.

    Lloyds Beacon is probably the handiest spell in the game when it comes to
    the actual exploration and advernturing part of the game and well worth
    going for as soon as possible (IE: worth dumping as many skill points into
    water as you can when you can)

    This was especially so in MM6 than in the later Might and Magic games... the
    dungeons in MM6 were so HUGE that often your PCs could be completely full of
    loot and only halfway thru the dungeon (or in need of healing). You can pop
    down a beacon and then teleport back to town (either to another beacon or
    with town portal) and heal up and sell your loot (and do any skill training
    if needed)

    It'll also be handy when it comes to the games of skill where you can win
    stuff... you can leave a beacon behind and when the circus is in town
    teleport to the circus and play some games for some more loot.

    There are a few really big things you can do with Lloyd's beacon that can
    really jack up the power of your party... not abuses of bugs or anything
    like that, but they are definite spoilers that you might not want to see.

    > - Use Bless & Fate to better kill monsters.

    I never used these spells that often, except that "bless" was part of one of
    those big light/dark spells (can't remember if it was Day of Protection or
    the other one)

    > - Immolition works through closed doors.

    I think somebody said immolation didn't work thru doors... that the poster
    meant "ring of fire"

    > - Enchant items before selling.

    A great way to make money... anything that you have that can be enchanted
    you should enchant before selling. Once you have a high skill in water
    magic and merchant you can buy things from the store at cost, enchant them,
    and then sell them back and make alot more money (assuming the stuff isn't
    worth keeping, which depending on your level at the time could make alot of
    stuff keepable when you get the skill up there)

    > - Ring of Fire goes through doors.
    > - Right-click to get info on a lot of things.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Hi Nostrobino,
    >
    > Actually TOWN PORTAL works at the EXPERT level which is where my team
    > is at this time, I'm not sure about Lloyd's Beacon cause I haven't
    > tried it yet but will be trying it tonight.
    >
    > Hey, you know what I think is fun, going to towns that you have no
    > business being in because you're way to weak. I like to sneak in, buy
    > up some good stuff and then see if I can get out alive. When you do
    > that, all of a sudden you realize that your not as tough as you thought
    > you were getting to be.

    The best stores are in Paradise Valley... you can buy the "OF ______ MAGIC"
    (they double your skill when worn) rings and amulets there...

    Its a toughie though... there are titans actually *IN* the town that just
    keep attacking you and you get no cover to run between the shops

    Another good way to see how much of a beating you can really take: Fly your
    party into the Dragonsand map... there are chests in there with loads of
    riches, but all guarded by alot of dragons

    Even at a high level it can be very hard to get at those chests
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Nostrobino,
    >
    > Actually TOWN PORTAL works at the EXPERT level which is where my team
    > is at this time, I'm not sure about Lloyd's Beacon cause I haven't
    > tried it yet but will be trying it tonight.

    I'll really have to get back to MM6 to refresh myself on this stuff. In MM7
    you have to be master in water magic before you can use Town Portal, and
    then you can only use it when there are no hostiles around. At grand master
    level you can use it when there are monsters there, which obviously is a
    *huge* benefit. I don't even remember now whether MM6 *has* a grand master
    level. If not, I suppose some of these things are pushed down one level.

    Lloyd's Beacon is great, but I remember at first often getting confused
    between the coming and going icons, which is bad to do. Also you have to
    remember to keep your locations refreshed or you lose them--which I also did
    frequently.

    > Hey, you know what I think is fun, going to towns that you have no
    > business being in because you're way to weak. I like to sneak in, buy
    > up some good stuff and then see if I can get out alive. When you do
    > that, all of a sudden you realize that your not as tough as you thought
    > you were getting to be.

    Yes. I particularly hated harpies and Magyars in the north, I remember. When
    you get to a higher level they're not so tough, especially if you have
    Meteor Shower which I loved to dump on them. Ah, revenge is sweet!

    > The toughest is if the only way out is by horse and there are no runs
    > until the next day, uh-oh, because in a tough town as soon as it turns
    > dark...gulp! And if you dare to camp, that's pretty much a 100% chance
    > of an encounter. I could portal out but I don't because that takes all
    > the fun out of it!

    *Can* you use Town Portal at expert level in MM6 when you're being attacked?

    N.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Nostrobino,
    >>
    >> Actually TOWN PORTAL works at the EXPERT level which is where my team
    >> is at this time, I'm not sure about Lloyd's Beacon cause I haven't
    >> tried it yet but will be trying it tonight.
    >>
    >> Hey, you know what I think is fun, going to towns that you have no
    >> business being in because you're way to weak. I like to sneak in, buy
    >> up some good stuff and then see if I can get out alive. When you do
    >> that, all of a sudden you realize that your not as tough as you thought
    >> you were getting to be.
    >
    > The best stores are in Paradise Valley... you can buy the "OF ______
    > MAGIC"
    > (they double your skill when worn) rings and amulets there...

    Also in Paradise Valley there's that *really great* fountain that gives you
    a huge boost in stats.

    > Its a toughie though... there are titans actually *IN* the town that just
    > keep attacking you and you get no cover to run between the shops
    >

    > Another good way to see how much of a beating you can really take: Fly
    > your
    > party into the Dragonsand map... there are chests in there with loads of
    > riches, but all guarded by alot of dragons
    >
    > Even at a high level it can be very hard to get at those chests

    Yes indeedy. Speaking of Dragonsand, does everybody know about the
    sort-of-secret way of teleporting to the New World Computing "offices" in
    the middle of it from New Sorpigal? Some good loot there too, if you can get
    out with it alive.

    Dang, I'll really have to get back to MM6.

    N.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <2I2dnRYqgpf2oq7fRVn-qw@comcast.com
    >, "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote:

    >Yes indeedy. Speaking of Dragonsand, does everybody know about the
    >sort-of-secret way of teleporting to the New World Computing "offices" in
    >the middle of it from New Sorpigal? Some good loot there too, if you can get
    >out with it alive.
    >
    >Dang, I'll really have to get back to MM6.

    >N.

    Me too, this thread is bringing back fun memories. As soon as I got the
    ability to teleport back to town, and mark, I'd head to the NW Office--great
    armor and weapons, load up on potions, and tp out and tp back in--
    wash, rinse, repeat. :-)

    Jim
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message
    > In article <2I2dnRYqgpf2oq7fRVn-qw@comcast.com
    >>, "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes indeedy. Speaking of Dragonsand, does everybody know about the
    >>sort-of-secret way of teleporting to the New World Computing "offices" in
    >>the middle of it from New Sorpigal? Some good loot there too, if you can
    >>get
    >>out with it alive.
    >>
    >>Dang, I'll really have to get back to MM6.
    >
    >>N.
    >
    > Me too, this thread is bringing back fun memories. As soon as I got the
    > ability to teleport back to town, and mark, I'd head to the NW
    > Office--great
    > armor and weapons, load up on potions,

    And the huge boost in stats! My memory is really foggy on this but it seems
    to me you could get everything up to 256.

    > and tp out and tp back in--
    > wash, rinse, repeat. :-)
    >
    > Jim

    You bet. Though the first couple of times I did it my party was too
    low-level and didn't have any means of teleporting, so we were dead the
    instant we stepped out the door and into the barrage from all those waiting
    dragons.

    N.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    With all this talk of Might&Magic I decided to replay them. I couldn't find
    my copy of VI so I went with VII. It crashes on startup (WinXP SP2). Is
    this a known issue or do I have a problem?

    chuck
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Chuck" <vze4258n@verizon.net> once tried to test me with:

    > With all this talk of Might&Magic I decided to replay them. I
    > couldn't find my copy of VI so I went with VII. It crashes on startup
    > (WinXP SP2). Is this a known issue or do I have a problem?

    I found this info on a web page a while back and emailed it to myself in
    case I wanted to play MM7 again. I haven't tried this stuff yet but I'm
    also getting a Jonesin' fer some MM goodness so I might. But here is the
    info:

    Might and Magic VI-IX on XP Pro Service Pack 2

    IMPORTANT: Download Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7fc46855-b8a4-
    46cd-a236-3159970fde94&displaylang=en&Hash=M5X9DQ4 and install.

    I had hardware accelerated mode for video on ALL except MM7. I was not able
    to select sound options at all on MM6-MM7.

    MM6 -http://home.mchsi.com/~andy4590/mm6x.zip Follow the instructions
    included. This allows you to play on XP with the CD.
    MM7 -First run MM7 configuration utility and change to software 3d. Go to
    your MM7 directory and right click MM7.exe and choose properties. Click the
    Compatibility tab. Go to compatibility mode area and click run this program
    in compatibility mode. Then choose Windows 98/ME and click okay. Then goto
    the start menu, then run, and type dxdiag. Click the sound tab. Then under
    directx features move the slider all the way down to no acceleration
    Hardware sound Acceleration level. Now run the game. You will need the cd.
    MM8 -To play MM8 you need to have installed Windows Application
    Compatibility Toolkit. You will need to download
    http://home.mchsi.com/~andy4590/MM8comXpProSP2.sdb Browse to the start
    menu, then programs, then to Microsoft Windows Application Compatibility
    Toolkit, and then click on Compatibility Administrator Tool 3.0. Click open
    and browse to where you saved MM8comXpProSP2.sdb and open the file. Under
    New Database you should see a new entry. Something like MM8 [c:\Documents
    and Settings\Drew\Desktop\MM8comXpProSP2.sdb] Right click this and chose
    install. Go to your MM8 directory and right click MM8.exe and choose
    properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Go to compatibility mode area and
    click run this program in compatibility mode. Then choose Windows 98/ME and
    click okay. Now run MM8 and enjoy.
    MM9 -Should work just fine after installing the game.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Chuck" <vze4258n@verizon.net> wrote in

    > With all this talk of Might&Magic I decided to replay them. I
    > couldn't find my copy of VI so I went with VII. It crashes on startup
    > (WinXP SP2). Is this a known issue or do I have a problem?

    I did the same some time ago and found that I could run it perfectly in
    windowed mode. Actually, the thing that crashes it for me in fullscreen
    mode are just the animation sequences, so you can start it in windowed
    mode, watch the first animation, and switch to full screen mode afterwards
    if you prefer to playe that way. Just remember to switch back to windowed
    mode before you complete any major quest that leads to a new animation.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message
    >> Me too, this thread is bringing back fun memories. As soon as I got
    >> the ability to teleport back to town, and mark, I'd head to the NW
    >> Office--great
    >> armor and weapons, load up on potions,

    There is a teleporter back to New Sorpigal in Dragonsand, so you can go to
    the NWC office directly in the start and get all the stat boosts, money and
    items.

    > And the huge boost in stats! My memory is really foggy on this but it
    > seems to me you could get everything up to 256.

    There is a box that *increases* all your stats by 256, unfortunately only
    until you sleep. The fountain outside is permanent, though.

    > You bet. Though the first couple of times I did it my party was too
    > low-level and didn't have any means of teleporting, so we were dead
    > the instant we stepped out the door and into the barrage from all
    > those waiting dragons.

    With active use of switching between turn based and real time mode you can
    make it around to the teleporter back to New Sorpigal even as level 1.
    Flying helps since you can still change altitude in turn based thus dodging
    fireballs. Some may die, but as long as anyone makes it back alive it isn't
    expensive to resurrect them in the temple.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
    > "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
    >

    >> "foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message
    >>> Me too, this thread is bringing back fun memories. As soon as I got
    >>> the ability to teleport back to town, and mark, I'd head to the NW
    >>> Office--great
    >>> armor and weapons, load up on potions,
    >
    > There is a teleporter back to New Sorpigal in Dragonsand, so you can go to
    > the NWC office directly in the start and get all the stat boosts, money
    > and
    > items.

    Really?! Where's that teleporter, do you recall? It's not *in* the NWC
    offices, is it?

    >> And the huge boost in stats! My memory is really foggy on this but it
    >> seems to me you could get everything up to 256.
    >
    > There is a box that *increases* all your stats by 256, unfortunately only
    > until you sleep. The fountain outside is permanent, though.

    Right, that's it, a 256 increase, and I dimly remembered that it wasn't
    permanent. I didn't know about a fountain outside.

    >> You bet. Though the first couple of times I did it my party was too
    >> low-level and didn't have any means of teleporting, so we were dead
    >> the instant we stepped out the door and into the barrage from all
    >> those waiting dragons.
    >
    > With active use of switching between turn based and real time mode you can
    > make it around to the teleporter back to New Sorpigal even as level 1.
    > Flying helps since you can still change altitude in turn based thus
    > dodging
    > fireballs. Some may die, but as long as anyone makes it back alive it
    > isn't
    > expensive to resurrect them in the temple.

    I can see I really will have to start up MM6 again. Thanks for the tips!

    N.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "Chuck" <vze4258n@verizon.net> wrote in
    >
    >> With all this talk of Might&Magic I decided to replay them. I
    >> couldn't find my copy of VI so I went with VII. It crashes on startup
    >> (WinXP SP2). Is this a known issue or do I have a problem?
    >
    > I did the same some time ago and found that I could run it perfectly in
    > windowed mode. Actually, the thing that crashes it for me in fullscreen
    > mode are just the animation sequences, so you can start it in windowed
    > mode, watch the first animation, and switch to full screen mode afterwards
    > if you prefer to playe that way. Just remember to switch back to windowed
    > mode before you complete any major quest that leads to a new animation.

    I got it working by checking the 'run full screen' and '256 colors' in XP
    and using software acceleration in the game. Now I just need to find a way
    to slow down the turning speed of the characters.

    chuck
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostrobino wrote:
    *Can* you use Town Portal at expert level in MM6 when you're being
    attacked?

    Yes you can, depending on your skill level, it may take two tries. I've
    never had to make more than two tries. The teleport will take you back
    to the last town that you visited.

    Seems like kind of a chickening out to cut and run in the middle of a
    battle that you're losing, but remember: 'them that fight & run
    away...? What comes next?..................live to fight another day.
    Fine by me, I'm not into the Custer stuff!

    Also, I think when you reach Master level you can choose the teleport
    location.

    Tucsonjim
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <Xns9618629F07917ThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229>,
    Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se says...

    >"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in

    >> "foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message
    >>> Me too, this thread is bringing back fun memories. As soon as I got
    >>> the ability to teleport back to town, and mark, I'd head to the NW
    >>> Office--great
    >>> armor and weapons, load up on potions,

    >There is a teleporter back to New Sorpigal in Dragonsand, so you can go to
    >the NWC office directly in the start and get all the stat boosts, money and
    >items.

    It';s been a wghile since I play M&M6. Where is the teleporter to the NWC area?
    And the one to return?

    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Ken Rice" <no@email.ads> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns9618629F07917ThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229>,
    > Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se says...
    >
    >>"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
    >
    >>> "foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message
    >
    >>There is a teleporter back to New Sorpigal in Dragonsand, so you can go to
    >>the NWC office directly in the start and get all the stat boosts, money
    >>and
    >>items.
    >
    > It';s been a wghile since I play M&M6. Where is the teleporter to the NWC
    > area?
    > And the one to return?

    It's been a while for me too. The teleporter *to* the NWC area is on the
    roof of one of the buildings, I think the bank, in New Sorpigal. IIRC it's
    on the north wing of the building; you have to fly to the roof and then
    click on the wall to your south. (Not 100% sure of those directions but
    that's the general idea.) That teleports you to a cupola on top of the
    whatever-it-is building in Dragonsand, where you are surrounded by dragons
    and will be dead in about two seconds unless you move fast. Fly into the
    cupola *FAST* and click on the left wall, and that will take you into the
    NWC offices. Clicking on a pillar in the center of the cupola beforehand
    gives some sort of stats boost to your selected character as I recall, but
    of course also means another second's delay, which may be fatal. Needless to
    say, be sure to save just before doing any of this.

    Where the teleporter *back* to New Sorpigal is I'm curious to know too.

    I understand there are also ways to reach the NWC offices (or some
    comparable place) in MM7 and MM8, but I never found them.

    N.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Nostrobino wrote:
    > *Can* you use Town Portal at expert level in MM6 when you're being
    > attacked?
    >
    > Yes you can, depending on your skill level, it may take two tries. I've
    > never had to make more than two tries. The teleport will take you back
    > to the last town that you visited.

    I think it's the last town *with a central fountain* that you're returned
    to, isn't it? Towns without a central fountain you can't teleport back to,
    except by Lloyd's Beacon. That's the way it is in M&M7 and it seems to me 6
    was the same way.

    > Seems like kind of a chickening out to cut and run in the middle of a
    > battle that you're losing, but remember: 'them that fight & run
    > away...? What comes next?..................live to fight another day.
    > Fine by me, I'm not into the Custer stuff!

    Just so. In some of the places you just have to do it that way--kill as many
    as you can, get out before your party's all killed, come back later and kill
    some more (and repeat, and repeat . . . ). Wear 'em down, that's the ticket.
    Granted it does get a little tedious at times.

    > Also, I think when you reach Master level you can choose the teleport
    > location.

    Right. When you cast Town Portal at master level you get a map with a few
    towns that you can choose between, but I think only if you've already drunk
    from the central fountains in those towns. That's how it is in M&M7 too.

    N.
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    >"Ken Rice" <no@email.ads> wrote in message
    >> In article <Xns9618629F07917ThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229>,
    >> Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se says...

    >>>"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in

    >>>There is a teleporter back to New Sorpigal in Dragonsand, so you can go to
    >>>the NWC office directly in the start and get all the stat boosts, money
    >>>and
    >>>items.

    >> It';s been a wghile since I play M&M6. Where is the teleporter to the NWC
    >> area?
    >> And the one to return?

    >It's been a while for me too. The teleporter *to* the NWC area is on the
    >roof of one of the buildings, I think the bank, in New Sorpigal. IIRC it's
    >on the north wing of the building; you have to fly to the roof and then
    >click on the wall to your south. (Not 100% sure of those directions but
    >that's the general idea.) That teleports you to a cupola on top of the
    >whatever-it-is building in Dragonsand, where you are surrounded by dragons
    >and will be dead in about two seconds unless you move fast. Fly into the
    >cupola *FAST* and click on the left wall, and that will take you into the
    >NWC offices. Clicking on a pillar in the center of the cupola beforehand
    >gives some sort of stats boost to your selected character as I recall, but
    >of course also means another second's delay, which may be fatal. Needless to
    >say, be sure to save just before doing any of this.

    >Where the teleporter *back* to New Sorpigal is I'm curious to know too.

    >I understand there are also ways to reach the NWC offices (or some
    >comparable place) in MM7 and MM8, but I never found them.

    Thanks. In M&M7, NWC is in a bottle on the sea bottom.

    I don't think I got to the NWC area in M&M8, but I did find this on the web:
    "Flute / How to get to New World Computing: There is a large sword in the Plane
    Between the Planes. Click on it with a character who is carrying the flute and
    you can go to the hidden New World Computing offices."

    I suspect the NWC area wasn't included in M&M9 since by that time they no
    longer existed.

    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > >"Ken Rice" <no@email.ads> wrote in message
    >>> In article <Xns9618629F07917ThomasPalmchellose@212.83.64.229>,
    >>> Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se says...

    >>> It';s been a wghile since I play M&M6. Where is the teleporter to the
    >>> NWC
    >>> area?
    >>> And the one to return?
    >
    >>It's been a while for me too. The teleporter *to* the NWC area is on the
    >>roof of one of the buildings, I think the bank, in New Sorpigal. IIRC it's
    >>on the north wing of the building; you have to fly to the roof and then
    >>click on the wall to your south. (Not 100% sure of those directions but
    >>that's the general idea.) That teleports you to a cupola on top of the
    >>whatever-it-is building in Dragonsand, where you are surrounded by dragons
    >>and will be dead in about two seconds unless you move fast. Fly into the
    >>cupola *FAST* and click on the left wall, and that will take you into the
    >>NWC offices. Clicking on a pillar in the center of the cupola beforehand
    >>gives some sort of stats boost to your selected character as I recall, but
    >>of course also means another second's delay, which may be fatal. Needless
    >>say, be sure to save just before doing any of this.
    >
    >>Where the teleporter *back* to New Sorpigal is I'm curious to know too.
    >
    >>I understand there are also ways to reach the NWC offices (or some
    >>comparable place) in MM7 and MM8, but I never found them.
    >
    > Thanks. In M&M7, NWC is in a bottle on the sea bottom.

    Ah, thanks. I remember all that underwater stuff near the end of the game;
    when I get there this time I'll look out for bottles on the bottom.

    > I don't think I got to the NWC area in M&M8, but I did find this on the
    > web:
    > "Flute / How to get to New World Computing: There is a large sword in the
    > Plane
    > Between the Planes. Click on it with a character who is carrying the flute
    > and
    > you can go to the hidden New World Computing offices."

    Thanks again! I'm making a note of that for when I replay that one.

    > I suspect the NWC area wasn't included in M&M9 since by that time they no
    > longer existed.

    You're probably right; M&M9 was so unfinished a game it didn't have most of
    the usual things (all those *dummy* chests and bureaus really annoyed me),
    and some of the things it *did* have were inferior and/or badly screwed up,
    like the maps. What a disappointment after the previous three! I never even
    finished it, just got thoroughly disgusted with the whole thing.

    I suppose now that Ubisoft owns the franchise we may eventually see a Might
    and Magic X, but I wonder if it will compare with the games the old NWC gang
    put together. They really had a genius for making a delightful game.

    N.
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <5KCdnQ1K5t65c6nfRVn-hQ@comcast.com>, not@home.today says...

    >clip

    >> I suspect the NWC area wasn't included in M&M9 since by that time they no
    >> longer existed.

    >You're probably right; M&M9 was so unfinished a game it didn't have most of
    >the usual things (all those *dummy* chests and bureaus really annoyed me),
    >and some of the things it *did* have were inferior and/or badly screwed up,
    >like the maps. What a disappointment after the previous three! I never even
    >finished it, just got thoroughly disgusted with the whole thing.

    >I suppose now that Ubisoft owns the franchise we may eventually see a Might
    >and Magic X, but I wonder if it will compare with the games the old NWC gang
    >put together. They really had a genius for making a delightful game.

    For all of its faults, I did enjoy and finish M&M9. I went a lot of places I
    wasn't meant to go, like into the "basement" in the starting area, and mountain
    climbing in most of the areas. At one point, I managed to jump into the abyss
    and fell down forever (well, until I decided to restore a saved game).

    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > In article <5KCdnQ1K5t65c6nfRVn-hQ@comcast.com>, not@home.today says...

    >>clip
    >
    >>> I suspect the NWC area wasn't included in M&M9 since by that time they
    >>> no
    >>> longer existed.
    >
    >>You're probably right; M&M9 was so unfinished a game it didn't have most
    >>of
    >>the usual things (all those *dummy* chests and bureaus really annoyed me),
    >>and some of the things it *did* have were inferior and/or badly screwed
    >>up,
    >>like the maps. What a disappointment after the previous three! I never
    >>even
    >>finished it, just got thoroughly disgusted with the whole thing.
    >
    >>I suppose now that Ubisoft owns the franchise we may eventually see a
    >>Might
    >>and Magic X, but I wonder if it will compare with the games the old NWC
    >>gang
    >>put together. They really had a genius for making a delightful game.
    >
    > For all of its faults, I did enjoy and finish M&M9. I went a lot of places
    > wasn't meant to go, like into the "basement" in the starting area, and
    > mountain
    > climbing in most of the areas. At one point, I managed to jump into the
    > abyss
    > and fell down forever (well, until I decided to restore a saved game).

    I suspect that was part of the unfinished nature of the game. I believe the
    reason for not having a Fly spell (which annoyed me also) was that there
    just wasn't anything to fly over outside of the rather channeled places you
    could reach on the ground--unlike M&M6, 7 and 8 where you could fly over
    every square inch on the map. I never went into that basement; I did try
    climbing some of the mountains but never got anywhere.

    However, I probably will start over in M&M9 one of these days, just because
    it's there. :-)

    It does have some nice improvements in the user interface IMO, I like the
    mouselook method and the graphics are at least an order of magnitude better.
    I suppose if 3DO/NWC hadn't been in bad financial straits and forced to get
    the game on the shelves prematurely, it might have been a really worthy
    successor.

    N.
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
    >> "Chuck" <vze4258n@verizon.net> wrote in
    >>
    >>> With all this talk of Might&Magic I decided to replay them. I
    >>> couldn't find my copy of VI so I went with VII. It crashes on
    >>> startup (WinXP SP2). Is this a known issue or do I have a problem?
    >>
    >> I did the same some time ago and found that I could run it perfectly
    >> in windowed mode. Actually, the thing that crashes it for me in
    >> fullscreen mode are just the animation sequences, so you can start it
    >> in windowed mode, watch the first animation, and switch to full
    >> screen mode afterwards if you prefer to playe that way. Just remember
    >> to switch back to windowed mode before you complete any major quest
    >> that leads to a new animation.
    >
    > I got it working by checking the 'run full screen' and '256 colors' in
    > XP and using software acceleration in the game. Now I just need to
    > find a way to slow down the turning speed of the characters.

    It seems every computer has a different solution. For the turning speed,
    start by using options and changing to "smooth" turning. That worked for
    me.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "Chuck" <vze4258n@verizon.net> wrote in
    >
    >> "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message
    >>> "Chuck" <vze4258n@verizon.net> wrote in

    >>> I did the same some time ago and found that I could run it perfectly
    >>> in windowed mode. Actually, the thing that crashes it for me in
    >>> fullscreen mode are just the animation sequences, so you can start it
    >>> in windowed mode, watch the first animation, and switch to full
    >>> screen mode afterwards if you prefer to playe that way. Just remember
    >>> to switch back to windowed mode before you complete any major quest
    >>> that leads to a new animation.
    >>
    >> I got it working by checking the 'run full screen' and '256 colors' in
    >> XP and using software acceleration in the game. Now I just need to
    >> find a way to slow down the turning speed of the characters.
    >
    > It seems every computer has a different solution. For the turning speed,
    > start by using options and changing to "smooth" turning. That worked for
    > me.

    Me too. On a fast computer the other turning options are practically
    uncontrollable.

    N.
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "Thomas Palm" <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> wrote in message

    >> There is a teleporter back to New Sorpigal in Dragonsand, so you can
    >> go to the NWC office directly in the start and get all the stat
    >> boosts, money and
    >> items.
    >
    > Really?! Where's that teleporter, do you recall? It's not *in* the NWC
    > offices, is it?

    No it is on the outside of the building around the fountain. I think you
    should turn right when leaving NWC, but don't blame me if you get
    incinerated :-)

    (I assume you already know about the flying scroll outside the bank in NWC)

    >> With active use of switching between turn based and real time mode
    >> you can make it around to the teleporter back to New Sorpigal even as
    >> level 1. Flying helps since you can still change altitude in turn
    >> based thus dodging
    >> fireballs. Some may die, but as long as anyone makes it back alive it
    >> isn't
    >> expensive to resurrect them in the temple.
    >
    > I can see I really will have to start up MM6 again. Thanks for the
    > tips!

    MM7 really is the better game, but somehow MM6 is funnier to replay. It is
    fun to abuse all the loopholes and powerplay. After you get back from the
    NWC dungeon, try speeding through the abandoned temple. You'll cut through
    those snakes like butter with your boosted stats.
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > It's been a while for me too. The teleporter *to* the NWC area is on
    > the roof of one of the buildings, I think the bank, in New Sorpigal.
    > IIRC it's on the north wing of the building; you have to fly to the
    > roof and then click on the wall to your south. (Not 100% sure of those
    > directions but that's the general idea.) That teleports you to a
    > cupola on top of the whatever-it-is building in Dragonsand, where you
    > are surrounded by dragons and will be dead in about two seconds unless
    > you move fast. Fly into the cupola *FAST* and click on the left wall,
    > and that will take you into the NWC offices. Clicking on a pillar in
    > the center of the cupola beforehand gives some sort of stats boost to
    > your selected character as I recall, but of course also means another
    > second's delay, which may be fatal. Needless to say, be sure to save
    > just before doing any of this.

    What you do is switch to turn based mode in NWC just before clicking that
    wall, that way you have time to reorient in dragonsand. And you can stop
    inside the building where the dragons can't reach you, giving you plenty of
    time to boost all your characters. I think it's +20 for all stats and
    resistances so it really is worth it.

    > I understand there are also ways to reach the NWC offices (or some
    > comparable place) in MM7 and MM8, but I never found them.

    In MM7 the office could be found in a bottle on the seafloor when you go
    underwater close to the end. I don't remember where it was in MM8. In any
    case there is nothing of value in the offices in either game so there is no
    reason to go there.
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in
    >> It's been a while for me too. The teleporter *to* the NWC area is on
    >> the roof of one of the buildings, I think the bank, in New Sorpigal.
    >> IIRC it's on the north wing of the building; you have to fly to the
    >> roof and then click on the wall to your south. (Not 100% sure of those
    >> directions but that's the general idea.) That teleports you to a
    >> cupola on top of the whatever-it-is building in Dragonsand, where you
    >> are surrounded by dragons and will be dead in about two seconds unless
    >> you move fast. Fly into the cupola *FAST* and click on the left wall,
    >> and that will take you into the NWC offices. Clicking on a pillar in
    >> the center of the cupola beforehand gives some sort of stats boost to
    >> your selected character as I recall, but of course also means another
    >> second's delay, which may be fatal. Needless to say, be sure to save
    >> just before doing any of this.
    >
    > What you do is switch to turn based mode in NWC just before clicking that
    > wall, that way you have time to reorient in dragonsand.

    Ah! That's a good tip, never occurred to me to do that.

    > And you can stop
    > inside the building where the dragons can't reach you, giving you plenty
    > of
    > time to boost all your characters. I think it's +20 for all stats and
    > resistances so it really is worth it.

    I remember it's +20 for something, can't remember what it was for though. I
    do remember it was worthwhile.

    >> I understand there are also ways to reach the NWC offices (or some
    >> comparable place) in MM7 and MM8, but I never found them.
    >
    > In MM7 the office could be found in a bottle on the seafloor when you go
    > underwater close to the end. I don't remember where it was in MM8. In any
    > case there is nothing of value in the offices in either game so there is
    > no
    > reason to go there.

    Thanks. . . . I suppose being near the end of the game anyway NWC felt no
    reason to anything of value there.

    N.
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > However, I probably will start over in M&M9 one of these days, just
    > because it's there. :-)

    If you do, make sure to get the unofficial patch that fixes a lot of
    problems. There is even a large patch promised some time in the future
    adding much of the stuff that was supposed to have been there from the
    start.
    http://telp.org/mm9/patches/patches.html

    It's not a bad game despite the flaws, just not as good as the previous
    ones. (IMHO the decline started with MM8).

PC gaming Video Games