Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-03-08, rob <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> I've been playing this and enjoyed it, but Dantooine is unplayable.
> Whenever I head towards the building outside the landing pad my framerate
> drops to 3 per minute and my character will teleport about 100 yards. Cant
> walk into the building if by some miracle I get to the door. My movement
> keys will then stop working ( although all the others are fine). I've
> finished the other planets with no problem and I have turned down all the
> graphic and sound options but nothing works.
> Also updated drivers etc.

Yes wait for the patch or get an Nvidia card. Worked fine for me
(Geforce FX 5900) but it seems a lot of ATI users have issues on
Dantooine.

rob wrote:
> I've been playing this and enjoyed it, but Dantooine is unplayable.
> Whenever I head towards the building outside the landing pad my framerate
> drops to 3 per minute and my character will teleport about 100 yards. Cant
> walk into the building if by some miracle I get to the door. My movement
> keys will then stop working ( although all the others are fine). I've
> finished the other planets with no problem and I have turned down all the
> graphic and sound options but nothing works.
> Also updated drivers etc.
>
> Any ideas?
> TIA
> Rob

I see... an ATI Radeon Card.

I see... updated drivers doing nothing for the problem.

I see... myself typing "kotor 2 dantooine problems" into Google and
finding a solution in less than 10 seconds because you're too lazy to
work it out yourself:

"If you are too lazy, a quick overview. Go into the advanced graphics
options, manually turn frame buffer effects off then back on then go
back into the game. This should fix the problem till you have to load a
new area."

<<I see... an ATI Radeon Card.

I see... updated drivers doing nothing for the problem.

I see... myself typing "kotor 2 dantooine problems" into Google and
finding a solution in less than 10 seconds because you're too lazy to
work it out yourself:

"If you are too lazy, a quick overview. Go into the advanced graphics
options, manually turn frame buffer effects off then back on then go
back into the game. This should fix the problem till you have to load a

new area." >>

All good advice but why the attitude? Just because you are frustrated
that not everyone is as sharp as you or experienced with searching for
solutions doesn't make it reasonable for you to belittle someone.

<< GFree Mar 7, 9:06 pm show options

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
From: GFree <nickt4...@yahoo.com.au> - Find messages by this author
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 05:06:48 GMT
Subject: Re: KOTOR2 Dantooine stutters
original | Report Abuse

NFLed wrote:
> All good advice but why the attitude? Just because you are
frustrated
> that not everyone is as sharp as you or experienced with searching
for
> solutions doesn't make it reasonable for you to belittle someone.

Sharp? Oh God no. I'm dumb as a box of rocks sometimes.

My attitude stems from the strong believe that people should solve
their
problems by doing their OWN research, instead of taking the easy road
and asking someone for the answer. Asking for the answer should only be

taken when one has exausted all other alternatives. That way, if the
person can resolve the problem themselves, they will have learnt
something and that extra experience will help them when dealing with
future problems.>>

I understand. However, it does more than get your opinion across, it
belittles someone who in my view does not deserve to be belittled.
This is only my view, of course, what one deserves is a subjective
thing.

Apart from that many people haven't thought of searching for solutions
in the way you describe by typing in the problem into Google -- even in
this day and age when seemingly everyone has had a computer for many
years and seemingly everyone has googled for other things a million
times. Everyone has different experiences.

It's actually "tougher" (when considering laziness) to type something
in a newsgroup than to type on Google as you suggest so laziness isn't
the issue in my opinion which is why I believe that belittling is not
called for here (or most anywhere for that matter).

"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I've been playing this and enjoyed it, but Dantooine is unplayable.
> Whenever I head towards the building outside the landing pad my framerate
> drops to 3 per minute and my character will teleport about 100 yards.
> Cant walk into the building if by some miracle I get to the door. My
> movement keys will then stop working ( although all the others are fine).
> I've finished the other planets with no problem and I have turned down all
> the graphic and sound options but nothing works.
> Also updated drivers etc.
>
> Any ideas?
> TIA
> Rob

I dropped back to Cat 4.11 from 5.2.

--
Derek

NFLed wrote:
> All good advice but why the attitude? Just because you are frustrated
> that not everyone is as sharp as you or experienced with searching for
> solutions doesn't make it reasonable for you to belittle someone.

Sharp? Oh God no. I'm dumb as a box of rocks sometimes.

My attitude stems from the strong believe that people should solve their
problems by doing their OWN research, instead of taking the easy road
and asking someone for the answer. Asking for the answer should only be
taken when one has exausted all other alternatives. That way, if the
person can resolve the problem themselves, they will have learnt
something and that extra experience will help them when dealing with
future problems.

Thusly GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> Spake Unto All:

(Dantooine problem)
>"If you are too lazy, a quick overview. Go into the advanced graphics
>options, manually turn frame buffer effects off then back on then go
>back into the game. This should fix the problem till you have to load a
>new area."

That sure sounds like a driver issue to me.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> I've been playing this and enjoyed it, but Dantooine is unplayable.
>> Whenever I head towards the building outside the landing pad my framerate
>> drops to 3 per minute and my character will teleport about 100 yards.
>> Cant walk into the building if by some miracle I get to the door. My
>> movement keys will then stop working ( although all the others are fine).
>> I've finished the other planets with no problem and I have turned down
>> all the graphic and sound options but nothing works.
>> Also updated drivers etc.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> TIA
>> Rob
>>

> I dropped back to Cat 4.11 from 5.2.
>
> --
> Derek

Cheers, I'll try the Cat drivers otherwise will wait for the patch.

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:24:18 +1300, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>I've been playing this and enjoyed it, but Dantooine is unplayable.
>Whenever I head towards the building outside the landing pad my framerate
>drops to 3 per minute and my character will teleport about 100 yards. Cant
>walk into the building if by some miracle I get to the door. My movement
>keys will then stop working ( although all the others are fine). I've
>finished the other planets with no problem and I have turned down all the
>graphic and sound options but nothing works.
>Also updated drivers etc.

Same here. I ended up running around facing away from the building just to
keep the framerate up. Ludicrous as I have an X800 XT as well. If it had been
released as an addon pack for the original game it would be one thing but what
with all quest problems and stuff like this it's nothing more that average
unfortunately.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-03-08, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Same here. I ended up running around facing away from the building just to
> keep the framerate up. Ludicrous as I have an X800 XT as well. If it had been
> released as an addon pack for the original game it would be one thing but what
> with all quest problems and stuff like this it's nothing more that average
> unfortunately.

ATI has issues with OpenGL. Any game that uses OpenGL will have
issues with an ATI driver.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 22:26:21 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:

>On 2005-03-08, rob <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>> I've been playing this and enjoyed it, but Dantooine is unplayable.
>> Whenever I head towards the building outside the landing pad my framerate
>> drops to 3 per minute and my character will teleport about 100 yards. Cant
>> walk into the building if by some miracle I get to the door. My movement
>> keys will then stop working ( although all the others are fine). I've
>> finished the other planets with no problem and I have turned down all the
>> graphic and sound options but nothing works.
>> Also updated drivers etc.
>>

>Yes wait for the patch or get an Nvidia card. Worked fine for me
>(Geforce FX 5900) but it seems a lot of ATI users have issues on
>Dantooine.

LOL Okay, yeah I'll go toss my X800 XT in the bin and go get another card
instead. :)

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-03-08, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

> LOL Okay, yeah I'll go toss my X800 XT in the bin and go get another card
> instead. :)

I recommend Nvidia to everyone because of their drivers. My
brother made the switch and couldn't believe how much time he
saved by not having to downgrade/upgrade all the time.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> I've been playing this and enjoyed it, but Dantooine is unplayable.
>> Whenever I head towards the building outside the landing pad my framerate
>> drops to 3 per minute and my character will teleport about 100 yards.
>> Cant walk into the building if by some miracle I get to the door. My
>> movement keys will then stop working ( although all the others are fine).
>> I've finished the other planets with no problem and I have turned down
>> all the graphic and sound options but nothing works.
>> Also updated drivers etc.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> TIA
>> Rob
>>

> I dropped back to Cat 4.11 from 5.2.
>
> --
> Derek

That cured it :)
Thank you very much

> "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> I've been playing this and enjoyed it, but Dantooine is unplayable.
>>> Whenever I head towards the building outside the landing pad my
>>> framerate drops to 3 per minute and my character will teleport about 100
>>> yards. Cant walk into the building if by some miracle I get to the door.
>>> My movement keys will then stop working ( although all the others are
>>> fine). I've finished the other planets with no problem and I have turned
>>> down all the graphic and sound options but nothing works.
>>> Also updated drivers etc.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>> TIA
>>> Rob
>>>

>> I dropped back to Cat 4.11 from 5.2.
>>
>> --
>> Derek
>>

> That cured it :)
> Thank you very much

Cool

--
Derek

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:53:35 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:

>On 2005-03-08, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> LOL Okay, yeah I'll go toss my X800 XT in the bin and go get another card
>> instead. :)
>
>I recommend Nvidia to everyone because of their drivers. My
>brother made the switch and couldn't believe how much time he
>saved by not having to downgrade/upgrade all the time.

Talking of drivers, anyone here remember the modified drivers that made use of
Back Face Culling? I remember it being tested on Doom 3 and with variable
results of anything up to 3 times or so performance, depending on how much of
the visual artifacting you were willing to accept. Then the company that made
them was bought out or something and they disappeared without trace. I wonder
why! <dons conspiracy hat>

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:52:02 -0600, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:

>On 2005-03-08, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Same here. I ended up running around facing away from the building just to
>> keep the framerate up. Ludicrous as I have an X800 XT as well. If it had been
>> released as an addon pack for the original game it would be one thing but what
>> with all quest problems and stuff like this it's nothing more that average
>> unfortunately.
>
>ATI has issues with OpenGL. Any game that uses OpenGL will have
>issues with an ATI driver.

But I have plenty of other OpenGL games and haven't had this level of
slowdown. It really is quite poor when you end up with single digit frame
rates on supposedly one of the fastest cards out there. And on just the one
level too.

Werewolf

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

shadows wrote:

> On 2005-03-08, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>Same here. I ended up running around facing away from the building just to
>>keep the framerate up. Ludicrous as I have an X800 XT as well. If it had been
>>released as an addon pack for the original game it would be one thing but what
>>with all quest problems and stuff like this it's nothing more that average
>>unfortunately.
>

> ATI has issues with OpenGL. Any game that uses OpenGL will have
> issues with an ATI driver.

Really?
Bullshit!

IL-2 and Neverwinter Nights both use OpenGL and both run flawlessly on
my machine with an ATI card. I've run both with an ATI 8500 and a 9550
with no problems.

So obviously those developers knew how to make their software work with
an ATI card. Obsidian should be able to do the same - especially
considering that ATI is the market leader for both graphics cards
installed at the factory and aftermarket.

--
Werewolf

Peace is Good.
Freedom is BETTER!

roball@xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> That cured it :)
> Thank you very much

Thanks!

z.elliot5921@duskmail.com

Thusly Werewolf <nunya@no-way.net> Spake Unto All:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/printthread.php?t=33705231

>So obviously those developers knew how to make their software work with
>an ATI card.

Not really.

--

Avoid cliches like the plague!