How to setup multiple ISP's for redundancy and persistance

pazsion

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I was thinking about getting a secondary isp as back-up and redundancy...and work arounds for ddos's....

I just thought that i could use a switch/bridgeable router that can act as a switch... and run that off the first in line off the #1 isp router.

Instead of connecting the second into the isp port, i should be able to put the #2 isp line into that. and put #1 ethercable into one of the outgoing ports from the second. And keep all the pc's on the #1 as is....But it should still use both providers simultaniously...right?

I have 3 or more routers that can do this, and i have used them like this and shared several pc's internet's other then the primary ISP. But it was shared through the pc. and separate NICS or wifi AP's.

I currently have one that will autosense a gig, and have bought another router that can operate at a gig that i plan to put into the #1 position as it's the fastest one. And will keep 1 gig without variability. and also give me wifi n 450-700. And they both support bridgeing,repeating and network balanceing /shareing.

This should be possible and i won't have to spend $4,000 on a router with 2 ISP ports, and only uses it as fail-over....=c this should use both simulataniously and balance workloads between each.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Zyxel Zywall routers feature dual WAN input. And they are quite reasonably priced, at least compared to the Cisco offerings... The ZyXel Zywall USG50 runs for under $240.00 on Amazon. Not sure about what others sell it for... Just as an FYI though, it is NOT a wireless router. You will need a WAP if you want WiFi support...