Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

100/100Mbit/s Fiber - Which Router to Buy?

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Socket
  • Internet Connection
  • Internet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
February 6, 2013 7:33:44 PM

Hi!

This is whats up: Me and my family just moved from house to an apartment. In the House we had 100/10Mbit/s Internet Connection. Soon a week ago we moved to an apartment, changing Internet Subscription. Turning it up a notch to 100/100Mbit/s Fiber Connection.

The problem is, there is a kind of "socket" in the wall that the whole neighborhood have installed in their apartments - this is were you connect to the internet, (this socket is the Internet Companies own socket). Only 1 person can be connected to the internet with this "socket" in the wall.

So i talked to the company today, I told them them that there is only room for 1 person to be connected to the Internet at a time. He told me that if we want more people to be connected to the Internet at the same time, I'm gonna need to buy a Router or a Switch (I have no clue what a "Switch" is).

So my question to you all is, which Routers are good suggestions that have WiFi & and will provide me with a full speed of 100/100Mbit/s?

Worth mentioning: My computer are good enough to be able to handle the 100/100 since i have the 100/100 speed right now. :) 

More about : 100 100mbit fiber router buy

February 7, 2013 1:37:11 PM

You need a router, not just a switch. Is the socket in the wall an RJ-45 jack? If so, with a CAT5e or 6 cable connect that to the WAN port of a router and then follow the manual to set up the wireless, also most routers have 4 wired connections that you can also use. And get a gigabit capable router with that nice Internet speed.

What is your budget and where do you shop online?
February 7, 2013 7:07:11 PM

RealBeast said:
You need a router, not just a switch. Is the socket in the wall an RJ-45 jack? If so, with a CAT5e or 6 cable connect that to the WAN port of a router and then follow the manual to set up the wireless, also most routers have 4 wired connections that you can also use. And get a gigabit capable router with that nice Internet speed.

What is your budget and where do you shop online?

I'm sorry, but i didn't understand much of what you just told me. I ordered this one today, by the small research I've done, it seems like a legit, good Router. :) 

https://www.inet.se/produkt/5404468/asus-rt-n56u-n600-d...
Related resources
February 7, 2013 7:46:12 PM

Yeah, that is a great router, good choice.
February 7, 2013 9:00:02 PM

RealBeast said:
Yeah, that is a great router, good choice.

Cheers! I will be coming back here if i encounter any problems when trying to install the Router! :)