Need some help on a Wireless or Wired Internet for gaming pc (Noob)

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
So I am building my first gaming pc and my WIFI is pretty good but I dont know if its good for gaming or if I can make it better.
I got these stats from speedtest.net

Download- 10-15mbps
Ping- 20-30ms
Upload- 0.70mbps

I have a few questions and if someone could help me understand that would be great.

So I have a router that Telus gave me. Now there are routers that you can buy, do you replace your router that you already have or do you somehow connect them together. (Do I need to get one to make my internet faster or can I use the Telus one.

Second thing is that if I want my dl speed Upload etc be faster should I buy a wireless adaptor to put in my new pc?
and do I need to buy a new router? or motem? What ever one I need.
I have been looking at this wireless adaptor seems good- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074&Tpk=Asus%20PCE-N15

If you need me to clarify something I try my best to do so, I am very confused right now :D I just want my internet to be faster for gaming and surfing the web.

Thanks for reading this!

Solution
I do a lot of gaming and I don't ever use wireless , only wired because it is the fastest the you can get. Using wireless limits you to the router internal bandwith for the radio frequency that you are on. So getting an ethernet cable to your new gaming Pc will give you the best possable connection for speed.
There is no way to increase the wireless speed by using two routers , the only thing that you can use the second router for is to extend the coverage area of the wireless signal. You would convert your second router into a wireless access point for this purpose.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
The 10-15Mbps isn't all that bad it should do for gaming...
How are you currently connected, cable or wireless?

A cable connection as always going to give you better speed than a wireless connection. If the router you are using now is too far to be connected to via cable then you can always get a wireless repeater/extender and strengthen the signal.

What is the router make and model?

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012

Well right now I only use wireless and have not used wired, I may do that with my new gaming pc when I build it after christmas.

I am going to be using my pc downstairs while the router is upstairs..I think I may beable to get a ethernet cable to go to the room that the pc is in.

My router is a D-Link
Model- DVA-G3810BN/TL

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I cant find too much info on your router but it doesn't look too fancy. A higher end router will probably give you a stronger signal but it still may not be enough.
If you can get a cable to the downstairs room it would definately be the best option! That way you can connect directly to lan and if you have a spare router laying around you could use it as an access point and surley improve the signal.

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
So If I can get a ethernet cable to my pc i will do that. But I am wondering about how to hook up a spare router to my main one? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks for the help :)

I do a lot of gaming and I don't ever use wireless , only wired because it is the fastest the you can get. Using wireless limits you to the router internal bandwith for the radio frequency that you are on. So getting an ethernet cable to your new gaming Pc will give you the best possable connection for speed.
There is no way to increase the wireless speed by using two routers , the only thing that you can use the second router for is to extend the coverage area of the wireless signal. You would convert your second router into a wireless access point for this purpose.

Solution

Techguy1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
I am going to be using a ethernet cable but I dont know what kind to choose. I want a CAT5E and either 25ft or 50ft, I dont know what brand, kind etc of cord to get for GAMING and surfing the web. Could you recommend a good fast cable for gaming, downloading and the works?

Thanks

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Get the cheapest cable you can find any cable that meets the 5e standard will do 1G even the ones that cost $1.

Your router only has 100m ports so i bet at the short distance you could even use normal 5 (not the 5e). You likely can't even find this. Even normal 5E is getting hard to find since they sell cat 6 for the same or less money sometimes.

Paying for 6A is crazy. 6A is used for 10G.

Remember the PORT controls the speed not the cable. If you use the wrong cable it does not just slow down it just does not work because it gets errors.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
As John says cat5e will do just fine!

A cat6 cable is certified for Gbit connections although you will probably never get one it still is a bit overboard. Especially a branded cable that costs $20, you could probably get one from a local electical shop for a few bucks, there is absolutely no reason to pay $20 for the Monster label.