0.4Mb speeds when the rest of the house get 30Mb

ChaosEvaUnit

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Greetings,
Kinda at the end of my tether here, hence why I've actually jumped onto a forum to get some help.
So back home in the UK a couple of days ago, I can connect to any network without any speed issues at all.
I come to Belgium to stay with some relatives, on a connection that I have used several times before with no problems, but suddenly my speeds just come to a grinding halt from the moment I get here.
Everybody elses speed is perfectly fine, we have about 4-5 devices connected at a time, but mine refuses to pass 0.5Mb.
They have some Belkin router and the ISP is Telenet, but a technician has been over recently to tweak their package a bit and my speeds are still the same.
To begin with it said I had an IP conflict, and after much experimentation and /release /renew-ing, turns out that was complete rubbish.
Connecting to the router via Ethernet brings my speeds back to normal but wirelessly is just confusing me. I can find the network perfectly fine and connect perfectly fine, but the speed is consistently below 0.5Mb.
I work at my University library part time helping people with PC issues, namely WiFi connectivity, so I know my way around most issues with this kind of thing. But my current situation has thrown me for a loop.
If I couldn't find the network at all or anything similar then I would be much happier because I'd know my Network card was fried and it would be easy to determine the issue.
But what's currently happening is beyond me.
If it's any help Im on an Alienware M11x R2 with Windows 8.
I can provide more information on request.
Any ideas?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
There may some kind of custom settings on your wireless adapter causing these issues.
Have you checked out the IP settings on the wireless NIC?
If so set to automatic and try again.
Do you have a proxy set up or anything like that?
Remove any additional settings.
Are you connecting to the same ssid as the other users or are you on a guest ssid (lower bandwidth)?

ChaosEvaUnit

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Thanks for your reply.
I've been into the router and there's nothing special aside from the MAC filtering, and IP is set to automatic.
No proxy set up and I am connecting to the the same SSID, using the same WPA2 to access as everyone else and pinging the router itself brings similar results for all users.

I think one of the options I want to cancel out is that my wireless card got damaged between UK and Belgium. I had it in my hand luggage at all times and I know I never bashed it around at all. But the only real way I can tell if that was the case would be to go back to the UK and see what happens on my trusty connection at home.

I think what I'm getting at here is, if my network card was somehow damaged, a plausible outcome of that wouldn't be; for it to find and access networks perfectly fine but just refuse to pass a certain speed.
Surely it would just, Stop working. Right?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If the card was damaged it would just stop working. The card's receiver in inside the laptop o it cant get damaged, that is something that would impair the reception. If the card itself was damaged it would probably not even be available, let alone get a signal at all or even connect.
Is the mac filtering enabled, and is your wireless mac in the list?