PC Will not power up!

DBDON

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
I have just finished assembling a new PC. The new componants are: Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Motherboard, Athlon XP2100, 256 DDR Ram, Zalman flower fan / CPU cooler & a new 300Watt PSU. All other components (Soundblaster, ATI Radeon 8500, drives etc.. ) are from my existing PC. The PC will not power up the fan just twitches slightly but no HDD activity or startup. I have set all the jumper settings tried to check for any shorts, I have also tried another power supply. What is my most likely guilty componant? - or am I just being thick and missing something more obvious like the PSU not being up to the job?

svol

Champion
It could be that the board powers down because of to high CPU temp... what is the HSF number as Zalman Flower Fan/CPU Cooler says nothing on the Zalman site.
Als try booting the system with only CPU, memory and videocard plugged into the motherboard... and PSU ofcourse.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

DBDON

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
Thanks, I'm not sure about the HSF number - I will need to check. But surely the fan would spin and the HDD would start before cutout even it the CPU was overheating right away. I have tried all combinations of components on the board including RAM and Display card only. I have also tried just plugging another old CPU fan I had into the MB to see if it would spin up on power on, but it didn't. Just the "twitch" from the fan.

svol

Champion
Ok I think there are two possible causes:
1. Bad PSU.
2. Bad mobo, or something on it is short circuiting.

You 100% the BIOS jumper is set properly, because that can give similair problems if IIRC.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: