new guy looking for mic advice

Last response: in Home Audio
January 6, 2005 11:03:37 AM

I just bought the tascam portastudio fx and am haing a blast with
it..what would be the best mic or mics to purchase if I start recording
full size bands and choirs...concert bands..stuff like that..one or two
mics in to the portastudio from about a distance of 20 to 30m ft from
the stage..what do you suggest.

More about : guy mic advice

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:09:01 PM

Small diaphragm condenser mics should be your best bet. They range in
price from say $100 each up to $2000 each, with the more expensive
models being what is used by professional classical recording engineers
(DPA, Neumann, Schoeps, Sennheiser).

Sounds like you plan to do recordings of school bands & choirs. For
starters, I think your estimated distance is too great and you will get
too much room sound. I would try cutting that distance in half, i.e. 10
to 15 ft. from the stage (3 to 5 meters).

For inexpensive mics that will work, try the Shure SM81, Oktava MC012,
Crown CM700 and I think there are some Chinese mics as well (MXL 603?)

For better, more focused sound, try the Neumann KM84 if you can find
them (haven't been made since 1988) or the newer KM184. The AT4051 gets
a fair amount of praise although I've not used them. I think Shure
makes some mics in this price range also.

For a basic setup, look up stereo configurations like XY and ORTF.
These should be the easiest to start with, and should provide OK
results. After you get more comfortable with the process, you may wish
to try other stereo setups to find the one that works best for you,
your equipment, and the acoustic environments you'll be working in.
Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:39:05 PM

wow that was quite a jump for you to go to that extreme to think I am
breaking laws..do you always treat new guys like that in this
forum...bad forum then...
for your information i am a principal and I am recording my school
concert band which play original music by the direcotr..the choir is my
moms choir fromk church...
now will you answer my question'
rob
Related resources
January 6, 2005 3:14:47 PM

italianboy_pa wrote:

> I just bought the tascam portastudio fx and am haing a blast with
> it..what would be the best mic or mics to purchase if I start recording
> full size bands and choirs...concert bands..stuff like that..one or two
> mics in to the portastudio from about a distance of 20 to 30m ft from
> the stage..what do you suggest.

A pair of small diaphragm condensers would probably be a good place to
start. The "Best" would probably be something by Schoeps or DPA. If
that's out of your budget, look at the Neumann KM184 or Audio Technica
AT4051 for a couple of mid priced choices. At the low end of price, a lot
of people like the Marshal MXL603 and Octava MC012. If your portastudio
doesn't have phantom power, you'll need an external phantom supply.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:05:34 PM

In article <1105040345.163765.76030@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
italianboy_pa <italianboy_pa@hotmail.com> wrote:
>wow that was quite a jump for you to go to that extreme to think I am
>breaking laws..do you always treat new guys like that in this
>forum...bad forum then...
>for your information i am a principal and I am recording my school
>concert band which play original music by the direcotr..the choir is my
>moms choir fromk church...
>now will you answer my question'

You must pardon me, but your writing and punctuation does not really
seem typical of a school principal.

In any event, your best bet is going to be a pair of small diaphragm
cardioid mikes. I do not believe that your recorder has balanced inputs
with phantom power, does it? If not, that severely limits your choices.

If so, what is your budget? You say you want "the best" but I take it
you don't want to spend $12,000 for a pair of B&K 4145s.
--scott

January 6, 2005 7:16:34 PM

"italianboy_pa" <italianboy_pa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just bought the tascam portastudio fx and am haing a blast with
> it..what would be the best mic or mics to purchase if I start recording
> full size bands and choirs...concert bands..stuff like that..one or two
> mics in to the portastudio from about a distance of 20 to 30m ft from
> the stage..what do you suggest.
_______________________________________

Sounds like you're planning to do clandestine recording. Depending on what
country you're in, it's often against several laws to do this.

Some would say that this group is not a good place to seek advice on such a
topic.

Look around at
www.ascap.com
www.bmi.com
www.copyright.gov/

Best way is to make arrangements with the concert producer, copyright
holders and venue operator to make a legal recording.

-bg-

www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca www.lchb.ca
January 6, 2005 7:16:35 PM

**bg** wrote:

> "italianboy_pa" <italianboy_pa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I just bought the tascam portastudio fx and am haing a blast with
>> it..what would be the best mic or mics to purchase if I start recording
>> full size bands and choirs...concert bands..stuff like that..one or two
>> mics in to the portastudio from about a distance of 20 to 30m ft from
>> the stage..what do you suggest.
> _______________________________________
>
> Sounds like you're planning to do clandestine recording. Depending on
> what country you're in, it's often against several laws to do this.

After your post, I re-read the original post several times. I didn't see
anything that would justify jumping to such a conclusion.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 7:16:35 PM

I doubt that he is going to be bootlegging choirs... he didn't ask
about stealth mics.

Al

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:16:34 GMT, "**bg**"
<info@thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca> wrote:

>"italianboy_pa" <italianboy_pa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I just bought the tascam portastudio fx and am haing a blast with
>> it..what would be the best mic or mics to purchase if I start recording
>> full size bands and choirs...concert bands..stuff like that..one or two
>> mics in to the portastudio from about a distance of 20 to 30m ft from
>> the stage..what do you suggest.
>_______________________________________
>
>Sounds like you're planning to do clandestine recording. Depending on what
>country you're in, it's often against several laws to do this.
>
>Some would say that this group is not a good place to seek advice on such a
>topic.
>
>Look around at
>www.ascap.com
>www.bmi.com
>www.copyright.gov/
>
>Best way is to make arrangements with the concert producer, copyright
>holders and venue operator to make a legal recording.
>
>-bg-
>

>www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca www.lchb.ca

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:04:23 PM

italianboy_pa wrote:
> I just bought the tascam portastudio fx and am haing a blast with
> it..what would be the best mic or mics to purchase if I start
recording
> full size bands and choirs...concert bands..stuff like that..one or
two
> mics in to the portastudio from about a distance of 20 to 30m ft from
> the stage..what do you suggest.

Use a stereo mic.
If your unit is the DP-01FX then you have both 1/4" and XLR mic
connectors available as well as phantom power. This will greatly
increase the options you can use. I would suggest the Audio
Technica ATM-825 stereo mic. Balanced out and either battery or
phantom powered. Very good mic, with flat response. Probably
as good or better sounding than any 2 seperate condensors in the
same price range. Comes with the cable you will need.
Also look at the ATM-822 - unbalanced, battery only but cheaper.
You may need to make up an adapter cable for this one.

good luck.
rd
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:19:54 PM

"italianboy_pa" <italianboy_pa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just bought the tascam portastudio fx and am haing a blast with
> it..what would be the best mic or mics to purchase if I start recording
> full size bands and choirs...concert bands..stuff like that..one or two
> mics in to the portastudio from about a distance of 20 to 30m ft from
> the stage..what do you suggest.

You want the best? Probably Schoeps, or a pair of Sennheiser MKH series.
Each one of them will cost you more than the Tascam did, though.

So what's your budget?

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:05:39 AM

On 2005-01-06, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> You must pardon me, but your writing and punctuation does not really
> seem typical of a school principal.

Peter Principle.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 7:43:01 AM

Wow that was some great responses..thank you all for your help....I
really do appreciate it...
respect
rob
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:10:12 PM

On Jan 6, 2005, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> commented:

> You must pardon me, but your writing and punctuation does not really
> seem typical of a school principal.
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

I laughed for two minutes when I read that! Good one, Scott.

--MFW
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:40:44 PM

Marc Wielage wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2005, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> commented:
>

>>You must pardon me, but your writing and punctuation does not really
>>seem typical of a school principal.
>

> I laughed for two minutes when I read that! Good one, Scott.

Maybe he is is a principal in TX? ;)
!