Want speakers? DON'T buy Altec 5100s!

FriedSpam

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
OK. I wanted some speakers I could take to university with me. Some speakers that were small and stylish and could play surround from DVDs but also play music at good quality.

I bought Altec Lansing's 5100s. They look good and sound ok, though with a little too much bass and not enough midrange for my tastes... but that can be adjusted.

Problem was, sometimes when the volume was adjusted with the remote, the sound would cut out unexplainedly and could only be got back with repeated button pushing/volume control adjusting/turning off and on. Well, this didn't happen too often, so I suppose I could live with it.

Two weeks later, the speakers failed to work totally for no reason what-so-ever... having worked just a few hours before (the fuse was fine, by the way :) ).

So I sent them back, got a refund..... and bought some more (though from a different sellor this time). OK, maybe a little stupid, I know, but it could have been a faulty set and I really did quite like the way they looked.

Same problems and now they've just stopped working again....

Anyone else have these problems? Know what I'm doing wrong.if there's a solution/if this is common with Altec's stuff?

Suggest any other 5.1/6.1/7.1 speakers for me (that go well with a Game Theatre XP 6.1)?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have the old ATP3 speakers from them. They sound great, and liquidators sell them for less than $40 a set because they're an old model. Been using mine for 3 years.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Im a proud owner of a Creative Inspire 5700 series 5.1 sound systom.This setup is awsome.I have it in my family room right now,and it sounds better than some home ones ive heard.The satilites are small,,but dont let that fool you..It rocks.........

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I'll Stick with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's

they rock

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x