Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

studio inside caravan inside studio?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:12:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Is it possible to make small tracking/control studio inside caravan which is
inside studiohall? (not movable)
Its isolated, round shaped and speakers can be placed inwall (holes for
speakers).

If construction is too light in some place it can be make thicker so prevent
resonance.

There's large window in front of caravan so picture projection or other
monitoring is no problem. noise equipment can be placed in cabinet where
cool air comes from outside of caravan.

Caravan stands on 3 foot which isolates it pretty well from ground (2 rubber
wheels)

pretty cheap but surely it takes money to bring in usable condition but as a
basic idea is this totally idiot?

I am not after anything permament solution anyway.

J.A.A.
January 7, 2005 4:12:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

What in the hell are you talking about?
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:12:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

J.A.A. wrote:
> Is it possible to make small tracking/control studio inside caravan
> which is inside studiohall? (not movable)
> Its isolated, round shaped and speakers can be placed inwall (holes
> for speakers).
>
> If construction is too light in some place it can be make thicker so
> prevent resonance.
>
> There's large window in front of caravan so picture projection or
> other monitoring is no problem. noise equipment can be placed in
> cabinet where cool air comes from outside of caravan.
>
> Caravan stands on 3 foot which isolates it pretty well from ground (2
> rubber wheels)
>
> pretty cheap but surely it takes money to bring in usable condition
> but as a basic idea is this totally idiot?
>
> I am not after anything permament solution anyway.
>
If you're just using it for isolation, it's probably not worth the trouble.
If you want to build your control room in there and actually use it on
location, the idea might be sound (no pun intended). One limitation will be
the size of the room thus created...near field monitoring only.

jak

> J.A.A.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:24:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"db" <deanbowlus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:1105101660.149431.136740
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> What in the hell are you talking about?
>

Quite, quite Bizarre!
January 7, 2005 4:34:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In England and Ireland a caravan is a camper. If that helps...
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:41:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:34:19 GMT, "Steve" <lost@sea.shore> wrote:

>
>In England and Ireland a caravan is a camper. If that helps...
>

No - in England and Ireland it is a caravan. In the USA it is a
camper.

d

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:41:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <41e3915a.19325843@212.159.2.87>,
Don Pearce <donald@pearce.uk.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:34:19 GMT, "Steve" <lost@sea.shore> wrote:
>
>>
>>In England and Ireland a caravan is a camper. If that helps...
>
>No - in England and Ireland it is a caravan. In the USA it is a
>camper.

I thought Caravan was a Duke Ellington tune?
--scott


--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:35:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 7 Jan 2005 09:29:49 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>In article <41e3915a.19325843@212.159.2.87>,
>Don Pearce <donald@pearce.uk.com> wrote:
>>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:34:19 GMT, "Steve" <lost@sea.shore> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>In England and Ireland a caravan is a camper. If that helps...
>>
>>No - in England and Ireland it is a caravan. In the USA it is a
>>camper.
>
>I thought Caravan was a Duke Ellington tune?
>--scott

No - Yes.

d

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:35:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Actually Caravan is a mini van made by Dodge.


Eric
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 7:09:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Of course. I remember once visiting a video production
studio a few years back that had built its control room
inside a "bread truck" or StepVan. They used it on location
and then parked it inside their "studio" (which was a
commercial warehouse type of building), and plugged in all
their electronics into the side of the truck.

A travel trailer ("caravan", as it is known in some other
parts of the world) or motor home can certainly serve the
same function. Just realize that they are usually very
lightly built - obviously to save weight since they are
built to be towed (trailers) or to maximize GVWR limits on
the truck chassis to provide the greatest living area
functions.

Several years ago a fellow out here in Victorville, CA was
selling his 4-camera video production truck built in a Pace
Arrow motor home. It was quite nicely done, and afforded the
crew living quarters on location.

I wouldn't expect you're going to have a very good tracking
space if that's what you need. Light construction will
certainly not keep out external noise, and you'll have to be
creative when you install your equipment. But if you're just
looking for a way to have a lightweight, mobile "room" for
location work and then a little post-production without
having to build a specialized control room, then use your
creative talents to design something around what you want to
do. Just keep in mind the compromises. People have built
this type of facility in trailers, vans, panel trucks,
station wagons, etc. for years. Even mobile homes/modular
homes/portable classrooms have been/are being used as
recording studios.

Remember the limitations, and spend your money wisely.




"J.A.A." wrote:
>
> Is it possible to make small tracking/control studio inside caravan which is
> inside studiohall? (not movable)
> Its isolated, round shaped and speakers can be placed inwall (holes for
> speakers).
>
> If construction is too light in some place it can be make thicker so prevent
> resonance.
>
> There's large window in front of caravan so picture projection or other
> monitoring is no problem. noise equipment can be placed in cabinet where
> cool air comes from outside of caravan.
>
> Caravan stands on 3 foot which isolates it pretty well from ground (2 rubber
> wheels)
>
> pretty cheap but surely it takes money to bring in usable condition but as a
> basic idea is this totally idiot?
>
> I am not after anything permament solution anyway.
>
> J.A.A.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:09:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>On 7 Jan 2005 09:29:49 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>>In article <41e3915a.19325843@212.159.2.87>,
>>Don Pearce <donald@pearce.uk.com> wrote:
>>>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:34:19 GMT, "Steve" <lost@sea.shore> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>In England and Ireland a caravan is a camper. If that helps...
>>>
>>>No - in England and Ireland it is a caravan. In the USA it is a
>>>camper.

No, in USA its a Mini Van.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:27:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 2005-01-07, J.A.A. <hyeena@fi.sci> wrote:

> Is it possible to make small tracking/control studio inside caravan which is
> inside studiohall? (not movable)

I've seen vans do full broadcast video production from, e.g., political events.
The gear in those things is staggeringly expensive, of course, but they
build them on an TV-network-affiliate budget. Why do you even need to
make the thing immobile?

Anything you can rack mount, you can rack mount inside a van. Now,
power supply might be a problem for mobile, but you can just run a mains
cord through the window.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:39:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 07 Jan 2005 18:09:17 GMT, bruwhaha58097238@aol.com (Raymond) wrote:

>>On 7 Jan 2005 09:29:49 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>>
>>>In article <41e3915a.19325843@212.159.2.87>,
>>>Don Pearce <donald@pearce.uk.com> wrote:
>>>>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:34:19 GMT, "Steve" <lost@sea.shore> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>In England and Ireland a caravan is a camper. If that helps...
>>>>
>>>>No - in England and Ireland it is a caravan. In the USA it is a
>>>>camper.
>
>No, in USA its a Mini Van.

But in the UK that is a van based on a Mini.

d

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:03:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Ok,
I dont know how things are downthere south where winter is barely T-Shirt
weather. But in Scandinavia most mobile home
vans, caravans, cambers, westfalia like vans etc. are isolated
to keep cold / warm out / in.

I dont have large facility that I plan to use there. Just basic
audio editing for video. Now if the videoproduction studio is
large hall without dedicated space for audiomonitoring or post
I just thought why not make one from this kind of "caravan".

Since its not registered I can prepare it to serve my needs better. Like
make things stronger and throwing few blankets over it for
better isolation etc. Nothing fancy here. DAW can be outside this space to
keep noise out and equipment cool.

I know they have dont many broadcast vans and most cable company does have
own mobile studio as video link. something
similar but little more for audio.

I just need to investigate how it would sound. Size of this space is no
problem since there is a lot large caravans made 1970's or 80's that cost
less than 500USD/Euro's and making light walls in studio does cost more.

J.A.A

"james of tucson" <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote in message
news:slrncttl4r.to.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com...
> On 2005-01-07, J.A.A. <hyeena@fi.sci> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to make small tracking/control studio inside caravan
which is
> > inside studiohall? (not movable)
>
> I've seen vans do full broadcast video production from, e.g., political
events.
> The gear in those things is staggeringly expensive, of course, but they
> build them on an TV-network-affiliate budget. Why do you even need to
> make the thing immobile?
>
> Anything you can rack mount, you can rack mount inside a van. Now,
> power supply might be a problem for mobile, but you can just run a mains
> cord through the window.
>
>
>
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:06:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

T Maki wrote:
>
> Several years ago a fellow out here in Victorville, CA was
> selling his 4-camera video production truck built in a Pace
> Arrow motor home. It was quite nicely done, and afforded the
> crew living quarters on location.

I'd rather have a Pierce-Arrow ;>
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:40:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hey all you wannabe english teachers,

with your silly discussion,
you haven't helped him one step further.

Kind Regards
Nudge


Don Pearce wrote:
> On 07 Jan 2005 18:09:17 GMT, bruwhaha58097238@aol.com (Raymond) wrote:
>
>
>>>On 7 Jan 2005 09:29:49 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>In article <41e3915a.19325843@212.159.2.87>,
>>>>Don Pearce <donald@pearce.uk.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:34:19 GMT, "Steve" <lost@sea.shore> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>In England and Ireland a caravan is a camper. If that helps...
>>>>>
>>>>>No - in England and Ireland it is a caravan. In the USA it is a
>>>>>camper.
>>
>>No, in USA its a Mini Van.
>
>
> But in the UK that is a van based on a Mini.
>
> d
>
> Pearce Consulting
> http://www.pearce.uk.com

--
Nudge // PCS Records Studio Leipzig
http://studio.lieber-media.de
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:41:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:40:59 +0100, Nudge <big-chief@gmx.de> wrote:

>Hey all you wannabe english teachers,
>
>with your silly discussion,
>you haven't helped him one step further.
>
>Kind Regards
>Nudge

Sure we have - it is very important to know what a mini van is.

d

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:57:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

http://www.solifer.com/index_eng.asp

size is about 5m x 2.5m x 1.9m

..jukka

"Don Pearce" <donald@pearce.uk.com> wrote in message
news:41e0acfb.6386343@212.159.2.87...
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:40:59 +0100, Nudge <big-chief@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> >Hey all you wannabe english teachers,
> >
> >with your silly discussion,
> >you haven't helped him one step further.
> >
> >Kind Regards
> >Nudge
>
> Sure we have - it is very important to know what a mini van is.
>
> d
>
> Pearce Consulting
> http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Don Pearce wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:57:59 +0200, "J.A.A." <hyeena@fi.sci> wrote:
>
>
>>http://www.solifer.com/index_eng.asp
>>
>>size is about 5m x 2.5m x 1.9m
>>
>>.jukka
>
>
> Too big. *These* are mini vans:
>
> http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/mini_ute_broch...

I've *got* to have one of these. Wonder if any are still
around.


Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no
simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:00:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Well, I did think about making a mobile rig in a RV (I think that's what's he
is talking about) I looked at servile different truck and bus style vehicles. I
then determined that the best way would be to buy a used box truck and build
the room inside the cargo part of the truck.
I looked at a few trucks with 16 and 25 foot boxes and about 9' of inside
height, the big problem was that you can only make a vehicle 8' 6" wide. That's
what the law is here in the USA, if it's a farm vehicle you can go to 9' wide
but that still leaves little room to build a good room within room studio.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:33:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:12:47 +0200, "J.A.A." <hyeena@fi.sci> wrote:

>Its isolated, round shaped and speakers can be placed inwall (holes for
>speakers).

How will you stop the speakers bleeding into the recording area?

Sure, you can build a recording facility in a truck. A caravan is
just a truck without a motor.

Does it sound good in this caravan? If not, it probably isn't worth
the bother.

CubaseFAQ www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm
"Possibly the world's least impressive web site": George Perfect
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:00:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>From: "J.A.A." hyeena@fi.sci
>Date: 1/7/2005 3:03 PM Eastern Standard Time
>Message-id: <OWBDd.1087$Wy5.260@reader1.news.jippii.net>
>
>Ok,
> I dont know how things are downthere south where winter is barely T-Shirt
>weather. But in Scandinavia most mobile home
>vans, caravans, cambers, westfalia like vans etc. are isolated
>to keep cold / warm out / in.
>
> I dont have large facility that I plan to use there. Just basic
>audio editing for video. Now if the videoproduction studio is
>large hall without dedicated space for audiomonitoring or post
>I just thought why not make one from this kind of "caravan".
>
> Since its not registered I can prepare it to serve my needs better. Like
>make things stronger and throwing few blankets over it for
>better isolation etc. Nothing fancy here. DAW can be outside this space to
>keep noise out and equipment cool.
>
> I know they have dont many broadcast vans and most cable company does have
>own mobile studio as video link. something
>similar but little more for audio.
>
> I just need to investigate how it would sound. Size of this space is no
>problem since there is a lot large caravans made 1970's or 80's that cost
>less than 500USD/Euro's and making light walls in studio does cost more

The older RV's (that's what we call them over here in the states) are poorly
designed all around, I looked at a late 70's Winnebago and it was totally
useless for what I wanted to do (along the same lines as your thinking about).
It was barley 7 feet wide and not much higher inside, you can feel the
vibration (more like an earth quake) of the generator all over the vehicle. It
would have required a lot more work than I wanted to do so I started looking
into medium duty box trucks.
The newer RV's have much improvement over the old model's but I would still
advise you to look at a cargo truck. The best reason I can give is that you
don't have to do any gutting out of the inside before you start building your
room(s).
!