Sidewinder FF 1 & XP - beat a dead horse

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As we all know, M$ does not offer Sidewinder software support for the first generation of Sidewinder game controllers, only for the second generation.

I have a nephew that loves his Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick, but it's version 1. I want to move him to XP, but he would loose his force feedback. He's willing to stay with 98SE, which I (no flames, please) equate to someone wanting to stick with Windows 3.1.

I do admit, the first generation had a more "robust" feel to the feedback than my second generation SFF joystick. M$ states that the Sidewinder software for the second generation (version 4) only works with USB sidewinder controllers.

Has anyone tried using this software on first generation controllers? Does it work? If not, any thoughts on using a USB to midi adapter to make the first gen SW play through the USB port? would that work?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>

quarkmachine

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
I have an MS Sidewinder FFB 1, it works great with XP... the drivers are already in the OS.. although it sounds like yours is a USB, and mine is not. I don't know if that would make any difference. Another thing is I've never used the custom profiler software that came with the stick, hence i've never tried to install it on XP. Just some random info....

"Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory."

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks. I put in a spare harddrive I had and loaded XP on it. I then tried the Sidewinder and it did work fine.

May it RIP though, I lost it this weekend. My nephew was playing Star Wars Pod Races and he hit the wall and his engine exploded. When that happened, the controller went MAD and flung around. It was so forceful, the handle snapped off at the base :eek:

So, now he needs to get a FFB2. I miss the first generation though; they had a lot more force.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
As others have noted - While NT and 2K had no support for early Sidewinder controllers, XP comes with the necessary drivers - Yahoooo!!!! My Sidewinder has been sitting on the shelf for months - and now I can use it again.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.