Would anyone here give me some technical computer advice, ..

This is not a game question but it's not near as off topic as what some
people are talking about around here these days. I need some advice
from you smart computer guys (or gals) around here. I just bought a new
computer (a Dell). It's so quiet, fast, and smooth and I love it. My
old computer has some software on it that I really need but I just
learned I am not going to have access to it to put it on my new one. I
have figured out I can't copy the software from the old one to the new
one so I decided I might try to put the old hard drive in the new
computer and have it as extra storage so that I'll be able to use the
program on my new computer. My old computer is really loud. I think
the noise was the fans but I'm not positive it was all from the fans. I
just want to know if the old hard drive in the new computer would be
likely to cause problems. Could it make it louder or not run as smooth?
I know people do things like this but I have no idea what effect it
might have on my new computer and I don't want to mess it up. Any
advice or suggestions would be great!! Thanks.

Paula

ME

I wouldn't move it over... especially if it's older... XP does 'look'
at it and it can casue probs...

Bitstring <423373ff$0$29282$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, from the
wonderful person Paula <pdwMT@yahoo.com> said
>This is not a game question but it's not near as off topic as what some
>people are talking about around here these days. I need some advice
>from you smart computer guys (or gals) around here. I just bought a
>new computer (a Dell). It's so quiet, fast, and smooth and I love it.
>My old computer has some software on it that I really need but I just
>learned I am not going to have access to it to put it on my new one. I
>have figured out I can't copy the software from the old one to the new one

Why not (or tell us what the software is, and maybe we can guess)??

> so I decided I might try to put the old hard drive in the new computer
>and have it as extra storage so that I'll be able to use the program on
>my new computer.

If you can't copy them and have them work, then they probably won't work
if you move the disk either. Some programs just need the program file
(.exe) and maybe a .ini file with some option in. Those will work if you
copy them.

Most programs these days need to have made copious registry entries
(instead of the .ini file), and come with .dll (dynamic load libraries)
and all sorts of other cr&p which they stick in the Windows directory.
These won't work just by you moving the disk, because the registry
entries and .dlls will be on the old disk, not the one WinXP is using
(which will be on the new machine's disk).

We won't even get into programs which have copy protection ..

>My old computer is really loud. I think the noise was the fans but I'm
>not positive it was all from the fans. I just want to know if the old
>hard drive in the new computer would be likely to cause problems.
>Could it make it louder or not run as smooth?

It could make it louder. It is unlikely it will affect how 'smooth' it
runs (whatever you mean by that) since most of the time it'll just be
sitting there doing nothing.

> I know people do things like this but I have no idea what effect it
>might have on my new computer and I don't want to mess it up. Any
>advice or suggestions would be great!! Thanks.

Unless you know what you are doing I would leave the old disk in the old
computer. It is not trivial to move it to the new one (some mechanical
and electrical engineering required - not difficult, if the case has
enough space, cabling, etc. but not trivial), and it probably won't do
what you expect anyway.

If we knew what these 'programs you can't move' are we could probably
offer you some better solutions. The amount of extra storage may, or may
not, be worth the hassle. However the old computer is probably currently
usable or saleable, and it won't be once you've taken the disk out.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
> Bitstring <423373ff$0$29282$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, from the
> wonderful person Paula <pdwMT@yahoo.com> said
>
>> This is not a game question but it's not near as off topic as what
>> some people are talking about around here these days. I need some
>> advice from you smart computer guys (or gals) around here. I just
>> bought a new computer (a Dell). It's so quiet, fast, and smooth and I
>> love it. My old computer has some software on it that I really need
>> but I just learned I am not going to have access to it to put it on my
>> new one. I have figured out I can't copy the software from the old
>> one to the new one
>

> Why not (or tell us what the software is, and maybe we can guess)??

The software is used to access and play voice files and a VPN
connection. I actually did copy the voice file program onto the new
computer but it said it was missing a file when I tried to start it. I
found that file and copied it on here in the same exact place it was on
the old one but that didn't help. It didn't seem to notice the file was
here.

>> so I decided I might try to put the old hard drive in the new computer
>> and have it as extra storage so that I'll be able to use the program
>> on my new computer.
>

> If you can't copy them and have them work, then they probably won't work
> if you move the disk either. Some programs just need the program file
> (.exe) and maybe a .ini file with some option in. Those will work if you
> copy them.
>
> Most programs these days need to have made copious registry entries
> (instead of the .ini file), and come with .dll (dynamic load libraries)
> and all sorts of other cr&p which they stick in the Windows directory.
> These won't work just by you moving the disk, because the registry
> entries and .dlls will be on the old disk, not the one WinXP is using
> (which will be on the new machine's disk).
>
> We won't even get into programs which have copy protection ..

I thought I could put the old hard drive into the new computer and use
it to run the programs that are on it. I was told that would work but I
don't know much about it which is why I'm asking.

>> My old computer is really loud. I think the noise was the fans but
>> I'm not positive it was all from the fans. I just want to know if the
>> old hard drive in the new computer would be likely to cause problems.
>> Could it make it louder or not run as smooth?
>

> It could make it louder. It is unlikely it will affect how 'smooth' it
> runs (whatever you mean by that) since most of the time it'll just be
> sitting there doing nothing.
>
>> I know people do things like this but I have no idea what effect it
>> might have on my new computer and I don't want to mess it up. Any
>> advice or suggestions would be great!! Thanks.
>

> Unless you know what you are doing I would leave the old disk in the old
> computer. It is not trivial to move it to the new one (some mechanical
> and electrical engineering required - not difficult, if the case has
> enough space, cabling, etc. but not trivial), and it probably won't do
> what you expect anyway.
>
> If we knew what these 'programs you can't move' are we could probably
> offer you some better solutions. The amount of extra storage may, or may
> not, be worth the hassle. However the old computer is probably currently
> usable or saleable, and it won't be once you've taken the disk out.

I don't want it for extra storage. I just need to be able to use this
program that's on it and want to use it on my new computer. I would
love to hear better solutions. I really don't want to take my old
computer apart and make it useless. I wanted to give it to my son. I
just really, really need access to this program. Thanks for taking the
time to answer me. :)

Paula

Bitstring <42338f88$0$29273$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, from the
wonderful person Paula <pdwMT@yahoo.com> said
>GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
>> Bitstring <423373ff$0$29282$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, from the
>>wonderful person Paula <pdwMT@yahoo.com> said
>>
>>> This is not a game question but it's not near as off topic as what
>>>some people are talking about around here these days. I need some
>>>advice from you smart computer guys (or gals) around here. I just
>>>bought a new computer (a Dell). It's so quiet, fast, and smooth and
>>>I love it. My old computer has some software on it that I really need
>>>but I just learned I am not going to have access to it to put it on
>>>my new one. I have figured out I can't copy the software from the
>>>old one to the new one

>> Why not (or tell us what the software is, and maybe we can guess)??
>
>The software is used to access and play voice files and a VPN
>connection. I actually did copy the voice file program onto the new
>computer but it said it was missing a file when I tried to start it. I
>found that file and copied it on here in the same exact place it was on
>the old one but that didn't help. It didn't seem to notice the file
>was here.

'the exact same place' may not be the right place, if the Windows
systems are different (again, it'd help to know what the file was
called). And, as I mentioned, most programs store stuff in the registry
(at the time you install them) .. sometimes you can fake it, but that
requires more expertise than I think you have.

<snip>

>I thought I could put the old hard drive into the new computer and use
>it to run the programs that are on it. I was told that would work but
>I don't know much about it which is why I'm asking.

That'll only work if you actually boot the copy of Windows on the old
disk, and you won't be able to do that because it won't recognise the
new hardware. What version of Windows was the old PC running? (I assume
the new one is XP Home).

>I don't want it for extra storage. I just need to be able to use this
>program that's on it and want to use it on my new computer. I would
>love to hear better solutions. I really don't want to take my old
>computer apart and make it useless. I wanted to give it to my son. I
>just really, really need access to this program. Thanks for taking the
>time to answer me.

Does this program have a name, author, vendor, etc. that you can contact
for help, or a user group, or any references at all to getting it to
work on a new machine (stick the program name into groups.google.com,
for instance).

If it that useful there must certainly be something similar available
for XP, or some way of running it under XP (although you may need the
original installation CD for it, whatever it was).

What were you planning to do if the old PC got stolen, broke down, or
caught fire (i.e. do you not have any backups or original installation
source for this magic, unnamed, program?)

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:58:03 -0600, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Paula
<pdwMT@yahoo.com> wrote:

>This is not a game question but it's not near as off topic as what some
>people are talking about around here these days. I need some advice
>from you smart computer guys (or gals) around here. I just bought a new
>computer (a Dell). It's so quiet, fast, and smooth and I love it. My
>old computer has some software on it that I really need but I just
>learned I am not going to have access to it to put it on my new one. I
>have figured out I can't copy the software from the old one to the new
>one so I decided I might try to put the old hard drive in the new
>computer and have it as extra storage so that I'll be able to use the
>program on my new computer. My old computer is really loud. I think
>the noise was the fans but I'm not positive it was all from the fans. I
>just want to know if the old hard drive in the new computer would be
>likely to cause problems. Could it make it louder or not run as smooth?

If you don't get the answers you need here, you might try posting in
<news:alt.sys.pc-clone.dell>. There are several knowledgeable posters
there, and questions about moving hard drives, software, etc. from an old
computer to a new Dell come up fairly regularly.

As far as moving the hard drive over, some issues are: is there a free drive
bay in the new computer, and does the new computer have a free cable
connector and an IDE channel available for the added drive (assuming the old
drive is an IDE drive)?

I've moved hard drives from old computers to new ones several times. If the
new computer has a place to mount it and a place to connect it, it's not too
difficult if you're comfortable working inside the computer's case.

A drive from an older computer will probably be slower than one that comes
with a new computer, but it can still be useful as extra storage; just keep
the files and programs you use most often on the newer (and faster) drive.

My Dell is a few years old and I don't know much about the details of the
newer models; someone in the Dell newsgroup might be able to help out more.
(Be sure to tell them what model Dell you're asking about...)

As far as the software: the vast majority of programs need to be actually
installed on a computer; just moving or copying their files over won't be
enough for them to work on the new system. So they'd need to be installed
on the new computer the same way they were installed on the original
computer.

A small number of programs, such as the Agent newsreader I use, will work
fine if you just copy all their files to a new location; but the majority of
programs need to be installed and not just copied over.

If the programs were downloaded and you still have the original installation
program file you downloaded, you might be able to use that to install the
programs on your new computer. Otherwise, you'll probably need the original
CDs to install the programs on your new computer.

Data files, such as .txt, .gif, etc. usually don't need any special setup,
as long as the new computer has the required software to open them

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!) R.A.H.

Paula <pdwMT@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> The software is used to access and play voice files and a VPN
> connection. I actually did copy the voice file program onto the new
> computer but it said it was missing a file when I tried to start it. I
> found that file and copied it on here in the same exact place it was on
> the old one but that didn't help. It didn't seem to notice the file was
> here.

The problem is that the program relies on stuff that is in the registry on
the old PC that is NOT in the registry on the new PC. Just copying the
files, or even running the program from the old HD on the new PC is not
going to work, the registry on the new PC is going to be stored on the C:
drive on that PC, not the new drive letter for whenever you move over the
old HD to the new PC. So you're only option is to have the install CD and
install the program on the new PC so that it can create the required
registry entries. Doing that, you should be able to copy the DATA over from
the old PC to the new one and as long as the program has been installed on
the new PC it will probably see the old PC's data and work with it.

It would REALLY help if we knew what program(s) you were refering to.

If this is a VPN program it's most likely coming from your employer, so why
not just ask them for the VPN install disk again?

The "playing voice files" could be replicated by just about any
audio-player program if the file format is using a standard audio file
format.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

>Bitstring <423373ff$0$29282$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, from the
>wonderful person Paula <pdwMT@yahoo.com> said
>>This is not a game question but it's not near as off topic as what some
>>people are talking about around here these days. I need some advice
>>from you smart computer guys (or gals) around here. I just bought a
>>new computer (a Dell). It's so quiet, fast, and smooth and I love it.
>>My old computer has some software on it that I really need but I just
>>learned I am not going to have access to it to put it on my new one. I
>>have figured out I can't copy the software from the old one to the new one

Are you talking ' software ' or ' data ' ? What's preventing you from
reinstalling the software on your new drive or copying the data to
your new drive ?

Jim

Jim

> The problem is that the program relies on stuff that is in the registry on
> the old PC that is NOT in the registry on the new PC. Just copying the
> files, or even running the program from the old HD on the new PC is not
> going to work, the registry on the new PC is going to be stored on the C:
> drive on that PC, not the new drive letter for whenever you move over the
> old HD to the new PC. So you're only option is to have the install CD and
> install the program on the new PC so that it can create the required
> registry entries. Doing that, you should be able to copy the DATA over from
> the old PC to the new one and as long as the program has been installed on
> the new PC it will probably see the old PC's data and work with it.

So, if I put the old hard drive in the new computer, it won't just run
as another drive and let me access the programs that are on it? I
realize that I probably can't actually make the program work by trying
to copy it to the new computer but I just thought if I put the whole
drive on there and could use it from there it would work fine. If that
won't work, I'll have to find an alternative. Thanks.

Paula

Paula <pdwMT@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> So, if I put the old hard drive in the new computer, it won't just run
> as another drive and let me access the programs that are on it? I
> realize that I probably can't actually make the program work by trying
> to copy it to the new computer but I just thought if I put the whole
> drive on there and could use it from there it would work fine. If that
> won't work, I'll have to find an alternative. Thanks.

As I and others have mentioned, the problem is that just putting the old
hard drive in the new computer doesn't move over the information that is
stored in the registry to the new PC. So if the program relies on
configuration data stored in the registry (and most programs do), then this
will not work.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

"Paula" <pdwMT@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> The problem is that the program relies on stuff that is in the registry
>> on the old PC that is NOT in the registry on the new PC. Just copying the
>> files, or even running the program from the old HD on the new PC is not
>> going to work, the registry on the new PC is going to be stored on the C:
>> drive on that PC, not the new drive letter for whenever you move over the
>> old HD to the new PC. So you're only option is to have the install CD and
>> install the program on the new PC so that it can create the required
>> registry entries. Doing that, you should be able to copy the DATA over
>> from the old PC to the new one and as long as the program has been
>> installed on the new PC it will probably see the old PC's data and work
>> with it.
> So, if I put the old hard drive in the new computer, it won't just run as
> another drive and let me access the programs that are on it? I realize
> that I probably can't actually make the program work by trying to copy it
> to the new computer but I just thought if I put the whole drive on there
> and could use it from there it would work fine. If that won't work, I'll
> have to find an alternative. Thanks.

Your only alternative is to fire up the old computer and export the data you
need access to and transfer it via floppy or CD to the new computer. You can
install the program on the new computer using the original installation
disks then import the data files.

Paula wrote:

>> The problem is that the program relies on stuff that is in the
>> registry on the old PC that is NOT in the registry on the new PC. Just
>> copying the files, or even running the program from the old HD on the
>> new PC is not going to work, the registry on the new PC is going to be
>> stored on the C: drive on that PC, not the new drive letter for
>> whenever you move over the old HD to the new PC. So you're only option
>> is to have the install CD and install the program on the new PC so
>> that it can create the required registry entries. Doing that, you
>> should be able to copy the DATA over from the old PC to the new one
>> and as long as the program has been installed on the new PC it will
>> probably see the old PC's data and work with it.
>
> So, if I put the old hard drive in the new computer, it won't just run
> as another drive and let me access the programs that are on it? I
> realize that I probably can't actually make the program work by trying
> to copy it to the new computer but I just thought if I put the whole
> drive on there and could use it from there it would work fine. If that
> won't work, I'll have to find an alternative. Thanks.
>
> Paula

That will only work if you find a way to boot off the Windows
that's on the old CD. Where did you get this program? Does
it have an installer? If you really need this program you
may have to buy a new copy that comes with an installer.

Paula typed:
> Any advice or suggestions
> would be great!! Thanks.

Something no-one else has mentioned yet - just
remember, opening the case on your new computer
may (or may not) void your warranty!

Especially with brand-name computers (ie: Dell),
so you may want to investigate that first...

};> Matt v3.2 <:{