Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Two IP Addresses: One Modem, One Router...

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
February 7, 2013 11:39:18 PM

Good day Tom's Hardware! I have come to you for some super serious questions.

Backstory: My name is Jacob and I am 13. Ever since I was young (5) I have been on a computer, and started getting into /programming/ at age of 7. Last year I went to Princeton University for this summer camp called iD Tech Camps and I took Programming in Java. Now, I am in a medium sized community for the game of ScrumbleShip, and the project I decided to create for that week at camp was called the ScrumbleShip Utility. What it includes isn't relevant to this question. But to share the application with the community, I threw it on my website that was hosted using 000webhost. As I was uploading, an idea hit me: what if I create my own web hosting company? So when I got back to the dorms, I called up one of my buddies, who was 21 at the time, and talked to him about the idea. He agreed to help me in anyway possible. Great. Now summer ends, school starts. December, I start to really get serious about the entire idea. Thinking of company names, I eventually think of ImposingHosting. Brilliant. I buy imposinghosting.com and create a website. I used my sister's old laptop as my first server, installing Ubuntu. That laptop was running BIND and Apache, until I find zPanel. I installed zPanel on the server and thought it was great, and since Christmas was approaching, I asked for money to build a server. Good. One thousand dollars in reserve. After the holidays, I order a massive machine from Newegg (32gb RAM, i7-3770, ect...). Along with it I order I a switch: Netgear GS108 8-ports. The build went fine and the server is sitting next to me, and the switch on my desk....

Present Day: Aww man! zPanel is getting old and slow. Why not switch to the industry standard, cPanel? Talk to Robert (now 22), and get a trial for 15 days. Great. Today I installed cPanel, which went well (no errors). But I set it up to run in a NAT setup, but there were SOME issues and I needed to contact cPanel support. My luck, they don't support NAT. They told me to put the server on its own IP address. Righty, I have Comcast. Now, before I go buying another IP, I want to make sure that what I am thinking is possible....

Problem: Will it be possible to get two IP address on one modem? This is the layout I would need is something like this:

If you are asking how I got this layout in my head, it is from multiple forum posts from all different forums that I have read.

Also, you may be asking what is my internet speed? Well here it is:

Man. That was a lot of typing and remembering.

Thanks in advance guys for all your help.

Best Regards,
Jacob843

More about : addresses modem router

Best solution

February 8, 2013 1:02:33 PM

Quote:
Will it be possible to get two IP address on one modem?

yes

Quote:
This is the layout I would need is something like this

yes
February 8, 2013 1:11:55 PM

Emerald said:
Quote:
Will it be possible to get two IP address on one modem?

yes

Quote:
This is the layout I would need is something like this

yes

So Emerald, that setup WOULD work?
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2013 2:14:36 PM

yes
m
l
February 8, 2013 6:15:04 PM

Alright, now I can't find a HUB for the life of me, is it alright if I use a 5 port switch instead?
m
l
February 8, 2013 6:21:49 PM

hubs are old technology.

yes use a switch
m
l
February 14, 2013 10:59:14 PM

Best answer selected by Jacob843.
m
l
!