Overheating after upgrading HP

pcdigestive77

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hi I'm new to this. I have a HP Pavillion dv6680ea laptop, and I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 32-bit. I find that the fan is constantly blowing and the computer is constantly overheating. After a small bit of searching through the forums I can see it may be an issue with upgrading the BIOS? But HP don't officially offer such an upgrade for this model. I couldn't really make sense of a lot of the terms myself so I thought I should just ask the question here and any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RealBeast

Titan
I don't see what difference the OS should make, why do you think it is overheating? Run a temp program like coretemp to see what the actual temperatures are, perhaps it is a fan management issue, seems more likely to me. Coretemp app: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

If there is no bios update for your computer, do not try a bios update with anything else or you will have a dead machine. You should, however, look in your bios and see if the fan control settings are where you want them.

sounds like HP had a program that controlled the fan and that program is either not installed or not compatible with windows 7. that would be HP for ya. check their website see what drivers and software they have for you're model

pcdigestive77

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Ever since I updated the OS there was a very noticeable difference in the temperature of the laptop. I'm studying architecture so I use programmes like autocad and photoshop frequently that demand a lot from the computer. But even with everyday use the fan is constantly blowing full and extremely loud from the minute I power it on even if Im not using any of these programmes. I read somewhere that other people were having similar issues after OS upgrade and a bios update resolved it but I cant upgrade.

Its not just an issue with the fan constantly blowing, it does seem that it is actually overheating too compared to what it was like before and comparing it to my sisters laptop of similar spec. I downloaded the coretemp app and Im just waiting for the laptop to heat up to its normal temp as it I was using a cooling pad to try keep the temp down.

Im sorry to sound like a complete amateur but how would I go about looking at the bios changing the fan control settings? And is there any guidelines I should follow to make sure I dont damage the machine?

Thanks for your help

pcdigestive77

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

There are no updates or drivers because they say they don't support win7 for my model, so I dont really know where to go now

definitely got all drivers installed? because no gpu driver = high gpu idle clocks (if present) = higher temps

also after a windows 7 install it may still be doing windows updates etc so more system load etc

old hp trick check the bios for "fan always on"

also if the battery is failing iv seen a few hp's spin up the cpu fan to max to perhaps counter it or whatever hp was thinking - take out the battery and verify

if you hp has nvidia graphics its most likely not going to be alive for much longer im surprised its still going now if it does

RealBeast

Titan
Sorry did not really read closely -- laptop. Had the same problem with Dell. I had to go into the bios on a couple and run the fan full time, and a couple of others I used a generic fan control program. Yes, probably the bios update disabled the fan control software.

pcdigestive77

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

To be honest I'm not sure if all the drivers are installed, as I said Im an absolute novice. Is there a way I can check this? There's a new battery in it as I was having problems with the old battery. I installed Win7 months ago and have had no problems at all other than overheating/fan issue.

pcdigestive77

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah I updated all the drivers from hp's website.

pcdigestive77

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
After a night spend updating drivers and I even updated the bios using the bios update for vista for my model, the fan is still constantly blowing. With the bios I have, there is no 'fan always on' option in the bios menu. Im not really sure where to go now any ideas?

what i suggest is find the name of the chipset your laptop has and then go to the intel website and download drivers for it there. you can find out the name of the chipset you have by looking up the model number on the HP website

pcdigestive77

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks but I just tried that and I already have the latest drivers installed.