SoE is cheap and desperate -- advertising EQ II by pointin..

I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went like
this:

Why go
======
Why go to a World of Waiting?
======
Explore Everquest II instead
======
Our servers are up for adventure.
======

Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
level.
36 answers Last reply
More about cheap desperate advertising pointin

    On 2005-03-13, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
    > I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went like
    > this:
    >
    > Why go
    >======
    > Why go to a World of Waiting?
    >======
    > Explore Everquest II instead
    >======
    > Our servers are up for adventure.
    >======
    >

    > Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
    > level.

    It's funny because it's true. Nothing wrong with SoE pointing it
    out.

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:50:03 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
    wrotC:DRIVE_E

    >Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
    >level.

    You mean, as compared to WoW's "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats" ads
    aimed at Sony?
    Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
    "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
    once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
    http://www.mrlizard.com

    "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
    > On 2005-03-13, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
    > > I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went
    like
    > > this:
    > >
    > > Why go
    > >======
    > > Why go to a World of Waiting?
    > >======
    > > Explore Everquest II instead
    > >======
    > > Our servers are up for adventure.
    > >======
    > >

    > > Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
    this
    > > level.
    >
    > It's funny because it's true. Nothing wrong with SoE pointing it
    > out.

    I think he's refering more to the fact that negative advertising shows
    a lack of class and inability to tout ones own good features/qualities.

    Like when a poltician only tells you what's wrong with the other guy
    and doesn't tell you what he would do differently or better.

    Like when a store is telling you about how horrible some other store
    is. I see this all the time with local cable company, as all they do is
    rip on DirectTV and not really say what is so much better or special
    about their service. All they do is point out the negatives of satellite
    TV and make parody commercials to rip on them.

    There is another local company here that has ads where they rip
    apart all their competitors non stop and never say *anything*
    good about their own service. They come off as arrogant,
    condescending, and desperate.

    It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
    about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.

    I'm not saying SoE shouldn't be doing this. They can do what they
    want.. But I see it in a negative light.

    "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message
    > "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2005-03-13, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
    >> > I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went
    > like
    >> > this:
    >> >
    >> > Why go
    >> >======
    >> > Why go to a World of Waiting?
    >> >======
    >> > Explore Everquest II instead
    >> >======
    >> > Our servers are up for adventure.
    >> >======
    >> >

    >> > Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
    > this
    >> > level.
    >>
    >> It's funny because it's true. Nothing wrong with SoE pointing it
    >> out.
    >
    > I think he's refering more to the fact that negative advertising shows
    > a lack of class and inability to tout ones own good features/qualities.
    >
    > Like when a poltician only tells you what's wrong with the other guy
    > and doesn't tell you what he would do differently or better.
    >
    > Like when a store is telling you about how horrible some other store
    > is. I see this all the time with local cable company, as all they do is
    > rip on DirectTV and not really say what is so much better or special
    > about their service. All they do is point out the negatives of satellite
    > TV and make parody commercials to rip on them.
    >
    > There is another local company here that has ads where they rip
    > apart all their competitors non stop and never say *anything*
    > good about their own service. They come off as arrogant,
    > condescending, and desperate.
    >
    > It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
    > about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.
    >
    > I'm not saying SoE shouldn't be doing this. They can do what they
    > want.. But I see it in a negative light.

    You put it better than I did. One other thing, has this kind of tactic been
    used before by a major company in the computer gaming industry? Seems it
    has the opposite effect to what's intended.

    "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message

    > It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
    > about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.

    And it always works. Ask Karl Rove.

    --
    Bob Perez

    "Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
    quit playing."
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes

    On 2005-03-14, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:

    > You put it better than I did. One other thing, has this kind of tactic been
    > used before by a major company in the computer gaming industry? Seems it
    > has the opposite effect to what's intended.

    Why? I have no loyaly or concern for WoW or EQ2. When I heard
    EQ1 severs were up longer than WoW servers I gave them a try by
    their free trial. The thing that bothered me was forced
    grouping. WoW is no better with raids so I didn't bother with
    either of them anymore.

    In article <ee5Zd.2389$N8.82617@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:

    >You put it better than I did. One other thing, has this kind of tactic been
    >used before by a major company in the computer gaming industry? Seems it
    >has the opposite effect to what's intended.

    I can't actually recall similar advertising, the different designers thought
    of themself as a brotherhood, and the companies refrained from attacking
    each other. I remember Raph and McQuade being very courteous and
    sincerely friendly towards each other when UO and EQ were starting up.

    However, having said that, I find nothing wrong in this latest development.
    Good for SOE. They are in business responsible to their shareholders, not a
    peewee soccer league where they don't keep score. In the past, UO would
    gently hand off to EQ, which would gently hand off to AC, which would gently
    hand off to AO which would gently hand off.........

    Once the industry takes off the kid gloves and puts on the really really angry
    gloves, and fights for it's customers, it's only the gamers which will benifit
    in the long run. Get down, get dirty and compete.

    Just ask yourself which will motivate Blizzard more to try and correct
    their problems, an existing player base which moans and groans, or
    widespread publicity through media discouraging future purchases.
    It's no contest.

    Jim

    "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote in message

    > "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
    > > about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.
    >
    > And it always works. Ask Karl Rove.

    Bob, Bob Bob... I'm not gonna argue politics with you, I consider
    you a friend.

    Jim Vieira wrote:
    > "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote in
    > message news:113aesp5pdg3vda@news.supernews.com...
    >>
    >> "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
    >>> about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.
    >>
    >> And it always works. Ask Karl Rove.
    >
    > Bob, Bob Bob... I'm not gonna argue politics with you, I consider
    > you a friend.

    That is a beautiful sentiment. I will pass it along at the next appropriate
    opportunity.

    As for whether or not it works...

    Hell yeah it works *but* it gives your competition some power to pull the
    rug out from under you. EQ2 doesn't want to be known as "not Blizzard" if
    things at WoW ever manage to start working properly.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    >>>Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink
    to this
    >>>level.

    >> You mean, as compared to WoW's "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats" ads

    >> aimed at Sony?

    >Haha, I have that in a magazine right here, from 'round about the time

    >both games were released. Big double page spread, and quite clearly a
    >slam on Everquest. I don't think either Blizzard or SoE has the high
    >moral ground here. :-)

    Just shows the OP is a desperate fan boy. Complains at SOE doing
    something but not when Bizzard do the same
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>, Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:50:03 -0500,
    Anno Domini:

    >I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went like
    >this:
    >
    >Why go
    >======
    >Why go to a World of Waiting?
    >======
    >Explore Everquest II instead
    >======
    >Our servers are up for adventure.
    >======
    >

    >Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
    >level.

    Or better yet, come to City of Heroes, where everyone's a HERO! :)

    Or...come play on a free UO shard like I did recently. It's really pretty
    darn good for $0/mth & no up front fee! :)

  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> writes:

    > You put it better than I did. One other thing, has this kind of tactic been
    > used before by a major company in the computer gaming industry? Seems it
    > has the opposite effect to what's intended.

    Not the gaming industry, but there are the anti-IBM/Microsoft ads
    Apple made (like the "1984" one).
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Grackle wrote:
    > I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went like
    > this:
    >
    > Why go
    > ======
    > Why go to a World of Waiting?
    > ======
    > Explore Everquest II instead
    > ======
    > Our servers are up for adventure.
    > ======
    >

    > Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
    > level.

    Either that or they're taking advantage of a marketing opportunity that
    has been presented to them on a silver platter :)

    I saw one the other day that said "7 new zones, 1100 new quests, 400 new
    spells. Find out what's new today".

    Yeah, it's a cheap shot, but that doesn't mean it's inaccurate :)

    Having said that, it seems clear to me that Blizzard is banking WoW's
    long-term success on Battlegrounds (if/when it ever arrives), not
    continually pumping out harder and harder raids. Both EQ2 and WoW have
    endgame raiding for the hardcore player, but that's just fighting over
    the same demographic. Battlegrounds, OTOH, seems to be aimed at grabbing
    a completely different sector of the gaming audience (in fact, it looks
    like it's trying to be an MMO(FPS|RPG) hybrid).

    --
    Remove the mess to reply.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Coby" <nothanks@today.not> wrote in message

    >> Bob, Bob Bob... I'm not gonna argue politics with you, I consider
    >> you a friend.
    >
    > That is a beautiful sentiment. I will pass it along at the next
    > appropriate opportunity.

    I'm going to honor Jim's admirable choice not to pounce on my comment (he's
    right, friends don't let friends bait them on politics), but I couldn't
    resist the honest observation ...

    > As for whether or not it works...
    >
    > Hell yeah it works *but* it gives your competition some power to pull the
    > rug out from under you. EQ2 doesn't want to be known as "not Blizzard" if
    > things at WoW ever manage to start working properly.

    Good point. Comparing yourself to your opponent/competitor runs the real
    risk of letting them define you (even if it's just as "not them"). But it
    seems that negative advertising has less of this risk, probably because the
    negative imagery is so powerful that it winds up dominating mindshare,
    leaving little or no effect on the advertiser with all attention focused on
    the negativity. It's worked in politics and I bet with this particular issue
    it'll work for SOE. I signed into WoW last night and the onscreen logon
    message was a pretty clear apology for the server problems the game's been
    experiencing. So SOE's actually getting a little help from Blizzard, who
    appear to be defining themselves now. They can't win, though, can they? If
    they say nothing they get accused of refusing to acknowledge reality, and if
    they do as they've done and apologize/acknowledge, they help reinforce the
    positioning of this game as "The one with serious server problems". Tough
    break, and I'm sure that if Blizzard ever takes enough time to stop counting
    all the money they're making, there's a possibility they might actually give
    two shits. ;-)

    Meanwhile, as someone else in this thread has already mentioned, that logon
    message is a funny counterpoint to all those in this newsgroup who've been
    denying that there's any problem. Sorry, guys, but the truth has a funny way
    of outing itself eventually.

    --
    Bob Perez

    "Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
    quit playing."
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    wrote:

    >I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went like
    >this:
    >
    >Why go
    >======
    >Why go to a World of Waiting?
    >======
    >Explore Everquest II instead
    >======
    >Our servers are up for adventure.
    >======
    >

    >Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
    >level.

    Looks like simple comparitive advertising to me playing up the fact
    that Blizzard are having server problems. Low, but clever.

    Lynley
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Lizard wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:50:03 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
    > wrotC:DRIVE_E
    >>Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
    >>level.
    >
    > You mean, as compared to WoW's "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats" ads
    > aimed at Sony?

    Haha, I have that in a magazine right here, from 'round about the time
    both games were released. Big double page spread, and quite clearly a
    slam on Everquest. I don't think either Blizzard or SoE has the high
    moral ground here. :-)

    Cheers!
    David...
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:50:03 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
    > wrotC:DRIVE_E
    >
    >>Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
    >>this
    >>level.
    >
    > You mean, as compared to WoW's "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats" ads
    > aimed at Sony?

    That's not the same as identifying your competition by name as SoE does with
    WoW. The rat killing crack is indirect, and if you don't already know that
    (supposedly) that's all you do in EQ2, then you won't know they're referring
    to EQ2.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
    > to this
    >
    >>> You mean, as compared to WoW's "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats" ads
    >
    >>> aimed at Sony?
    >
    >>Haha, I have that in a magazine right here, from 'round about the time
    >
    >>both games were released. Big double page spread, and quite clearly a
    >>slam on Everquest. I don't think either Blizzard or SoE has the high
    >>moral ground here. :-)
    >
    > Just shows the OP is a desperate fan boy. Complains at SOE doing
    > something but not when Bizzard do the same

    I uninstalled WoW weeks ago and haven't played since, and I don't intend to
    until the servers are stable and as reliable as my past experiences in
    MMORPGs (I won't mention which games those were, since your pea-brain might
    label me a 'fan boy' of those too).
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:51:11 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
    <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote:

    >"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2005-03-13, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
    >> > I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went
    >like
    >> > this:
    >> >
    >> > Why go
    >> >======
    >> > Why go to a World of Waiting?
    >> >======
    >> > Explore Everquest II instead
    >> >======
    >> > Our servers are up for adventure.
    >> >======
    >> >

    >> > Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
    >this
    >> > level.
    >>
    >> It's funny because it's true. Nothing wrong with SoE pointing it
    >> out.
    >
    >I think he's refering more to the fact that negative advertising shows
    >a lack of class and inability to tout ones own good features/qualities.
    >
    >Like when a poltician only tells you what's wrong with the other guy
    >and doesn't tell you what he would do differently or better.
    >
    >Like when a store is telling you about how horrible some other store
    >is. I see this all the time with local cable company, as all they do is
    >rip on DirectTV and not really say what is so much better or special
    >about their service. All they do is point out the negatives of satellite
    >TV and make parody commercials to rip on them.
    >
    >There is another local company here that has ads where they rip
    >apart all their competitors non stop and never say *anything*
    >good about their own service. They come off as arrogant,
    >condescending, and desperate.
    >
    >It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
    >about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.
    >
    >I'm not saying SoE shouldn't be doing this. They can do what they
    >want.. But I see it in a negative light.

    By pointing out WoW's server problems they are pointing to their own
    reliability. It may be inferred, but they do point out their own
    reliability.

    Lynley
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> writes:

    > By pointing out WoW's server problems they are pointing to their own
    > reliability. It may be inferred, but they do point out their own
    > reliability.

    Or lack of players comparatively. It's easier to keep low population
    games up than immensely popular ones - like WoW.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <VH1Zd.1550$Jd2.76656@news20.bellglobal.com>, Grackle wrote:
    > Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
    > this level.

    It's especially amusing considering that it was EQ2, not WoW, that has had
    the longest outright failure: they were 100% down for an entire weekend.

    --
    --Tim Smith
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote in message

    >> By pointing out WoW's server problems they are pointing to their own
    >> reliability. It may be inferred, but they do point out their own
    >> reliability.
    >
    > Or lack of players comparatively. It's easier to keep low population
    > games up than immensely popular ones - like WoW.

    No, they just have a lot more experience with what it takes to maintain an
    MMOG. Blizzard is new at this.

    --
    Bob Perez

    "Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
    quit playing."
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> writes:

    > No, they just have a lot more experience with what it takes to
    > maintain an MMOG. Blizzard is new at this.

    They have run multiplayer games before, though, through Battle.net.
    MMORPGs are just larger than what they have done before.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> writes:
    >
    >> No, they just have a lot more experience with what it takes to
    >> maintain an MMOG. Blizzard is new at this.
    >
    > They have run multiplayer games before, though, through Battle.net.
    > MMORPGs are just larger than what they have done before.

    Totally different experiences. Battle.net required, for the most part, being
    able to link hundreds of thousands of computers together via peer-to-peer
    connections with no more than 8 players at once. The Realms were a bit
    different and did require some persistent server technology, but still it
    was nothing at all like the WoW architecture, which requires having to
    maintain dozens of servers that have to support tens of thousands of clients
    at one time. This is what they're new at and one of the reasons, I think,
    they're having trouble. Every MMOG developer goes through this the first
    time or two through, they'll get better at it.

    --
    Bob Perez

    "Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
    quit playing."
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Tim Smith" <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message

    > It's especially amusing considering that it was EQ2, not WoW, that has had
    > the longest outright failure: they were 100% down for an entire weekend.

    More than a weekend, the servers were actually down for 72 hours while the
    databases were restored and rolled back to a prior save point. Heads rolled
    within SOE over that one, that was an inexcusable screwup. I think the
    reason that WoW has the bigger image problem here is because this kind of
    thing is pretty rare in EQ2 (it's never happened since), but WoW's problems
    have been consistent from the beginning and continue today, months after
    launch. Most people I think will forgive anomalous outages that occur rarely
    (and to SOE's credit, they rewarded players with almost a week of double
    experience afterwards, which made everyone forget about the bitching and
    moaning the weekend before). But people get tired of ongoing problems and
    constant queues and I think that's the reason Blizzard has the PR issue.

    --
    Bob Perez

    "Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
    quit playing."
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote in message
    >> "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> writes:
    >>
    >>> No, they just have a lot more experience with what it takes to
    >>> maintain an MMOG. Blizzard is new at this.
    >>
    >> They have run multiplayer games before, though, through Battle.net.
    >> MMORPGs are just larger than what they have done before.
    >
    > Totally different experiences. Battle.net required, for the most part,
    > being able to link hundreds of thousands of computers together via
    > peer-to-peer connections with no more than 8 players at once. The Realms
    > were a bit different and did require some persistent server technology,
    > but still it was nothing at all like the WoW architecture, which requires
    > having to maintain dozens of servers that have to support tens of
    > thousands of clients at one time. This is what they're new at and one of
    > the reasons, I think, they're having trouble. Every MMOG developer goes
    > through this the first time or two through, they'll get better at it.

    Yeah, but by the time the Starcraft MMORPG comes out, they'll have it down.
    :-p
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:53:30 GMT, Tim Smith
    <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrotC:DRIVE_E

    >In article <VH1Zd.1550$Jd2.76656@news20.bellglobal.com>, Grackle wrote:
    >> Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
    >> this level.
    >
    >It's especially amusing considering that it was EQ2, not WoW, that has had
    >the longest outright failure: they were 100% down for an entire weekend.

    The difference is, that was one incident in almost six months. You got
    a lot of whining at the time, but it was quickly forgotten. From what
    I can tell, WoW's problems are endemic.
    Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
    "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
    once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
    http://www.mrlizard.com
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:51:11 GMT, Jim Vieira wrote:

    > "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2005-03-13, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
    >>> I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went
    > like
    >>> this:
    >>>
    >>> Why go
    >>> W
    >>> o
    >>>======
    >>> Why go to a World of Waiting?
    >>>======
    >>> Explore Everquest II instead
    >>>======
    >>> Our servers are up for adventure.
    >>>======
    >>>

    >>> Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
    > this
    >>> level.
    >>
    >> It's funny because it's true. Nothing wrong with SoE pointing it
    >> out.
    >
    > I think he's refering more to the fact that negative advertising shows
    > a lack of class and inability to tout ones own good features/qualities.
    >
    > Like when a poltician only tells you what's wrong with the other guy
    > and doesn't tell you what he would do differently or better.
    >
    > Like when a store is telling you about how horrible some other store
    > is. I see this all the time with local cable company, as all they do is
    > rip on DirectTV and not really say what is so much better or special
    > about their service. All they do is point out the negatives of satellite
    > TV and make parody commercials to rip on them.
    >
    > There is another local company here that has ads where they rip
    > apart all their competitors non stop and never say *anything*
    > good about their own service. They come off as arrogant,
    > condescending, and desperate.
    >
    > It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
    > about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.
    >
    > I'm not saying SoE shouldn't be doing this. They can do what they
    > want.. But I see it in a negative light.

    I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
    newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the fact
    that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing things for
    several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which I was planning to
    buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save others from buying what
    seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're doing people a service. And
    if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then everyone
    who plays WoW is better off too.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Dr. Pepper" <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> once tried to test me with:

    > if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then
    > everyone who plays WoW is better off too.

    On this much, we can agree.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:56:23 -0500, "Dr. Pepper"
    <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> wrote:

    ..

    >I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
    >newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the fact
    >that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing things for
    >several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which I was planning to
    >buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save others from buying what
    >seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're doing people a service. And
    >if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then everyone
    >who plays WoW is better off too.

    The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
    have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
    order is suspended pending the appeal though.

    Lynley
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Lynley James wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:56:23 -0500, "Dr. Pepper"
    > <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> wrote:
    >
    > .
    >
    >>I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
    >>newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the fact
    >>that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing things for
    >>several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which I was planning to
    >>buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save others from buying what
    >>seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're doing people a service. And
    >>if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then everyone
    >>who plays WoW is better off too.
    >

    > The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
    > have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
    > order is suspended pending the appeal though.

    Huh!!! Really!!?? Wow, I hadn't heard they couldn't sell the PS2 in
    the US anymore. What happened there???
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in

    > The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
    > have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
    > order is suspended pending the appeal though.

    Yup. Because they are appealling, the order to stop selling the PS2 is not
    enforced.

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    On 2005-03-29, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    > Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
    >> have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
    >> order is suspended pending the appeal though.
    >
    > Yup. Because they are appealling, the order to stop selling the PS2 is not
    > enforced.

    Essentially the courts just did a: "Do you wish to continue Y/n?"
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    James Garvin wrote:
    > Lynley James wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:56:23 -0500, "Dr. Pepper"
    >> <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> .
    >>
    >>> I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
    >>> newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the
    >>> fact
    >>> that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing things
    >>> for
    >>> several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which I was
    >>> planning to
    >>> buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save others from buying
    >>> what
    >>> seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're doing people a
    >>> service. And
    >>> if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then
    >>> everyone
    >>> who plays WoW is better off too.
    >>

    >> The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
    >> have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
    >> order is suspended pending the appeal though.
    >

    > Huh!!! Really!!?? Wow, I hadn't heard they couldn't sell the PS2 in
    > the US anymore. What happened there???

  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in

    > Lynley James wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:56:23 -0500, "Dr. Pepper"
    >> <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> .
    >>
    >>>I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
    >>>newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the
    >>>fact that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing
    >>>things for several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which
    >>>I was planning to buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save
    >>>others from buying what seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're
    >>>doing people a service. And if Sony's ads light a fire under
    >>>Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then everyone who plays WoW is better
    >>>off too.
    >>

    >> The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case
    >> and have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if
    >> the order is suspended pending the appeal though.
    >
    > Huh!!! Really!!?? Wow, I hadn't heard they couldn't sell the PS2 in
    > the US anymore. What happened there???

    They haven't stopped selling PS2's. The court's order was for them to pay
    $90ish million to Immersion, and halt sales of PS2, PS1, and a bunch of
    games that use Immersion's technology. The order was immediately stayed
    pending appeal by Sony.

    A bunch of irresponsible, sensation-seeking press decided it would be
    "cool" to post that PS2 sales were halted in the US, even though they
    HAVE NEVER STOPPED SELLING THEM. Basically, they tried to sell papers or
    web ads or whatever by misleading the readers. And if you look way down
    in the article, under the big headline that says "Sony Ordered to Halt
    PS2 Sales" you'll see the bit about it being stayed pending appeal. If
    they were even THAT honest. About par for the course. It seems that
    journalistic integrity is now an oxymoron.

    The thing is, even if Sony loses the appeal, they're never going to halt
    sales of PS2's (or PS3's or whatever else they're selling at the time).
    They will pay a huge chunk of change to Immersion if they lose, and
    they'll then start paying something to Immersion in the form of a license
    to use their technology (or they'll have built their own somehow), but
    they aren't going to quit sellng PS2's. Anyone that thinks this is flat
    out stupid.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:04:42 -0700, James Garvin
    <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Lynley James wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:56:23 -0500, "Dr. Pepper"
    >> <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> .
    >>
    >>>I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
    >>>newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the fact
    >>>that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing things for
    >>>several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which I was planning to
    >>>buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save others from buying what
    >>>seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're doing people a service. And
    >>>if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then everyone
    >>>who plays WoW is better off too.
    >>

    >> The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
    >> have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
    >> order is suspended pending the appeal though.
    >
    >Huh!!! Really!!?? Wow, I hadn't heard they couldn't sell the PS2 in
    >the US anymore. What happened there???

    Immersion claimed that Sony infringed on their patent for rumble pads
    back in 2002 or 2001. Judgement was handed down yesterday or the day
    before, not sure which court as the US court hierarchy gives me
    headaches but I think it is a California one, and the judge found for
    Immersion. He ordered Sony to stop all sales of the PS2 and fined
    them something like $90m. Of course Sony are appealing as, surprise,
    they do not believe that they infringed on anyone's patent rights.

    Not sure how the appeal affects the order.

    Lynley

PC gaming World Of Warcraft Video Games