SoE is cheap and desperate -- advertising EQ II by pointin..

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 13, 2005 6:50:03 PM

I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went like
this:

Why go
======
Why go to a World of Waiting?
======
Explore Everquest II instead
======
Our servers are up for adventure.
======

Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
level.
March 13, 2005 7:32:37 PM

On 2005-03-13, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
> I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went like
> this:
>
> Why go
>======
> Why go to a World of Waiting?
>======
> Explore Everquest II instead
>======
> Our servers are up for adventure.
>======
>

> Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
> level.

It's funny because it's true. Nothing wrong with SoE pointing it
out.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 12:37:41 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:50:03 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
wrotC:D RIVE_E

>Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
>level.

You mean, as compared to WoW's "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats" ads
aimed at Sony?
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 1:51:11 AM

"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-03-13, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
> > I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went
like
> > this:
> >
> > Why go
> >======
> > Why go to a World of Waiting?
> >======
> > Explore Everquest II instead
> >======
> > Our servers are up for adventure.
> >======
> >

> > Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
this
> > level.
>
> It's funny because it's true. Nothing wrong with SoE pointing it
> out.

I think he's refering more to the fact that negative advertising shows
a lack of class and inability to tout ones own good features/qualities.

Like when a poltician only tells you what's wrong with the other guy
and doesn't tell you what he would do differently or better.

Like when a store is telling you about how horrible some other store
is. I see this all the time with local cable company, as all they do is
rip on DirectTV and not really say what is so much better or special
about their service. All they do is point out the negatives of satellite
TV and make parody commercials to rip on them.

There is another local company here that has ads where they rip
apart all their competitors non stop and never say *anything*
good about their own service. They come off as arrogant,
condescending, and desperate.

It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.

I'm not saying SoE shouldn't be doing this. They can do what they
want.. But I see it in a negative light.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 1:51:12 AM

"Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message
> "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-13, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
>> > I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went
> like
>> > this:
>> >
>> > Why go
>> >======
>> > Why go to a World of Waiting?
>> >======
>> > Explore Everquest II instead
>> >======
>> > Our servers are up for adventure.
>> >======
>> >

>> > Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
> this
>> > level.
>>
>> It's funny because it's true. Nothing wrong with SoE pointing it
>> out.
>
> I think he's refering more to the fact that negative advertising shows
> a lack of class and inability to tout ones own good features/qualities.
>
> Like when a poltician only tells you what's wrong with the other guy
> and doesn't tell you what he would do differently or better.
>
> Like when a store is telling you about how horrible some other store
> is. I see this all the time with local cable company, as all they do is
> rip on DirectTV and not really say what is so much better or special
> about their service. All they do is point out the negatives of satellite
> TV and make parody commercials to rip on them.
>
> There is another local company here that has ads where they rip
> apart all their competitors non stop and never say *anything*
> good about their own service. They come off as arrogant,
> condescending, and desperate.
>
> It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
> about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.
>
> I'm not saying SoE shouldn't be doing this. They can do what they
> want.. But I see it in a negative light.

You put it better than I did. One other thing, has this kind of tactic been
used before by a major company in the computer gaming industry? Seems it
has the opposite effect to what's intended.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 2:26:41 AM

"Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message

> It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
> about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.

And it always works. Ask Karl Rove.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes
March 14, 2005 4:17:28 AM

On 2005-03-14, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:

> You put it better than I did. One other thing, has this kind of tactic been
> used before by a major company in the computer gaming industry? Seems it
> has the opposite effect to what's intended.

Why? I have no loyaly or concern for WoW or EQ2. When I heard
EQ1 severs were up longer than WoW servers I gave them a try by
their free trial. The thing that bothered me was forced
grouping. WoW is no better with raids so I didn't bother with
either of them anymore.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 5:28:09 AM

In article <ee5Zd.2389$N8.82617@news20.bellglobal.com>,
"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:

>You put it better than I did. One other thing, has this kind of tactic been
>used before by a major company in the computer gaming industry? Seems it
>has the opposite effect to what's intended.

I can't actually recall similar advertising, the different designers thought
of themself as a brotherhood, and the companies refrained from attacking
each other. I remember Raph and McQuade being very courteous and
sincerely friendly towards each other when UO and EQ were starting up.

However, having said that, I find nothing wrong in this latest development.
Good for SOE. They are in business responsible to their shareholders, not a
peewee soccer league where they don't keep score. In the past, UO would
gently hand off to EQ, which would gently hand off to AC, which would gently
hand off to AO which would gently hand off.........

Once the industry takes off the kid gloves and puts on the really really angry
gloves, and fights for it's customers, it's only the gamers which will benifit
in the long run. Get down, get dirty and compete.

Just ask yourself which will motivate Blizzard more to try and correct
their problems, an existing player base which moans and groans, or
widespread publicity through media discouraging future purchases.
It's no contest.

Jim
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 5:29:59 AM

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote in message

> "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message
>
> > It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
> > about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.
>
> And it always works. Ask Karl Rove.

Bob, Bob Bob... I'm not gonna argue politics with you, I consider
you a friend.
March 14, 2005 11:08:30 AM

Jim Vieira wrote:
> "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote in
> message news:113aesp5pdg3vda@news.supernews.com...
>>
>> "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
>>> about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.
>>
>> And it always works. Ask Karl Rove.
>
> Bob, Bob Bob... I'm not gonna argue politics with you, I consider
> you a friend.

That is a beautiful sentiment. I will pass it along at the next appropriate
opportunity.

As for whether or not it works...

Hell yeah it works *but* it gives your competition some power to pull the
rug out from under you. EQ2 doesn't want to be known as "not Blizzard" if
things at WoW ever manage to start working properly.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 11:23:09 AM

>>>Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink
to this
>>>level.

>> You mean, as compared to WoW's "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats" ads

>> aimed at Sony?

>Haha, I have that in a magazine right here, from 'round about the time

>both games were released. Big double page spread, and quite clearly a
>slam on Everquest. I don't think either Blizzard or SoE has the high
>moral ground here. :-)

Just shows the OP is a desperate fan boy. Complains at SOE doing
something but not when Bizzard do the same
March 14, 2005 11:47:34 AM

Thus spake "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>, Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:50:03 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went like
>this:
>
>Why go
>======
>Why go to a World of Waiting?
>======
>Explore Everquest II instead
>======
>Our servers are up for adventure.
>======
>

>Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
>level.

Or better yet, come to City of Heroes, where everyone's a HERO! :)

Or...come play on a free UO shard like I did recently. It's really pretty
darn good for $0/mth & no up front fee! :)

a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 12:24:46 PM

"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> writes:

> You put it better than I did. One other thing, has this kind of tactic been
> used before by a major company in the computer gaming industry? Seems it
> has the opposite effect to what's intended.

Not the gaming industry, but there are the anti-IBM/Microsoft ads
Apple made (like the "1984" one).
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 1:27:33 PM

Grackle wrote:
> I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went like
> this:
>
> Why go
> ======
> Why go to a World of Waiting?
> ======
> Explore Everquest II instead
> ======
> Our servers are up for adventure.
> ======
>

> Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
> level.

Either that or they're taking advantage of a marketing opportunity that
has been presented to them on a silver platter :)

I saw one the other day that said "7 new zones, 1100 new quests, 400 new
spells. Find out what's new today".

Yeah, it's a cheap shot, but that doesn't mean it's inaccurate :)

Having said that, it seems clear to me that Blizzard is banking WoW's
long-term success on Battlegrounds (if/when it ever arrives), not
continually pumping out harder and harder raids. Both EQ2 and WoW have
endgame raiding for the hardcore player, but that's just fighting over
the same demographic. Battlegrounds, OTOH, seems to be aimed at grabbing
a completely different sector of the gaming audience (in fact, it looks
like it's trying to be an MMO(FPS|RPG) hybrid).

--
Remove the mess to reply.
Anonymous

"Coby" <nothanks@today.not> wrote in message

>> Bob, Bob Bob... I'm not gonna argue politics with you, I consider
>> you a friend.
>
> That is a beautiful sentiment. I will pass it along at the next
> appropriate opportunity.

I'm going to honor Jim's admirable choice not to pounce on my comment (he's
right, friends don't let friends bait them on politics), but I couldn't
resist the honest observation ...

> As for whether or not it works...
>
> Hell yeah it works *but* it gives your competition some power to pull the
> rug out from under you. EQ2 doesn't want to be known as "not Blizzard" if
> things at WoW ever manage to start working properly.

Good point. Comparing yourself to your opponent/competitor runs the real
risk of letting them define you (even if it's just as "not them"). But it
seems that negative advertising has less of this risk, probably because the
negative imagery is so powerful that it winds up dominating mindshare,
leaving little or no effect on the advertiser with all attention focused on
the negativity. It's worked in politics and I bet with this particular issue
it'll work for SOE. I signed into WoW last night and the onscreen logon
message was a pretty clear apology for the server problems the game's been
experiencing. So SOE's actually getting a little help from Blizzard, who
appear to be defining themselves now. They can't win, though, can they? If
they say nothing they get accused of refusing to acknowledge reality, and if
they do as they've done and apologize/acknowledge, they help reinforce the
positioning of this game as "The one with serious server problems". Tough
break, and I'm sure that if Blizzard ever takes enough time to stop counting
all the money they're making, there's a possibility they might actually give
two shits. ;-)

Meanwhile, as someone else in this thread has already mentioned, that logon
message is a funny counterpoint to all those in this newsgroup who've been
denying that there's any problem. Sorry, guys, but the truth has a funny way
of outing itself eventually.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 8:29:29 PM

wrote:

>I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went like
>this:
>
>Why go
>======
>Why go to a World of Waiting?
>======
>Explore Everquest II instead
>======
>Our servers are up for adventure.
>======
>

>Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
>level.

Looks like simple comparitive advertising to me playing up the fact
that Blizzard are having server problems. Low, but clever.

Lynley
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 10:37:31 PM

Lizard wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:50:03 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
> wrotC:D RIVE_E
>>Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to this
>>level.
>
> You mean, as compared to WoW's "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats" ads
> aimed at Sony?

Haha, I have that in a magazine right here, from 'round about the time
both games were released. Big double page spread, and quite clearly a
slam on Everquest. I don't think either Blizzard or SoE has the high
moral ground here. :-)

Cheers!
David...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 10:38:22 PM

"Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:50:03 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
> wrotC:D RIVE_E
>
>>Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
>>this
>>level.
>
> You mean, as compared to WoW's "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats" ads
> aimed at Sony?

That's not the same as identifying your competition by name as SoE does with
WoW. The rat killing crack is indirect, and if you don't already know that
(supposedly) that's all you do in EQ2, then you won't know they're referring
to EQ2.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 10:48:52 PM

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
> to this
>
>>> You mean, as compared to WoW's "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats" ads
>
>>> aimed at Sony?
>
>>Haha, I have that in a magazine right here, from 'round about the time
>
>>both games were released. Big double page spread, and quite clearly a
>>slam on Everquest. I don't think either Blizzard or SoE has the high
>>moral ground here. :-)
>
> Just shows the OP is a desperate fan boy. Complains at SOE doing
> something but not when Bizzard do the same

I uninstalled WoW weeks ago and haven't played since, and I don't intend to
until the servers are stable and as reliable as my past experiences in
MMORPGs (I won't mention which games those were, since your pea-brain might
label me a 'fan boy' of those too).
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 14, 2005 10:58:55 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:51:11 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
<WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote:

>"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-13, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
>> > I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went
>like
>> > this:
>> >
>> > Why go
>> >======
>> > Why go to a World of Waiting?
>> >======
>> > Explore Everquest II instead
>> >======
>> > Our servers are up for adventure.
>> >======
>> >

>> > Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
>this
>> > level.
>>
>> It's funny because it's true. Nothing wrong with SoE pointing it
>> out.
>
>I think he's refering more to the fact that negative advertising shows
>a lack of class and inability to tout ones own good features/qualities.
>
>Like when a poltician only tells you what's wrong with the other guy
>and doesn't tell you what he would do differently or better.
>
>Like when a store is telling you about how horrible some other store
>is. I see this all the time with local cable company, as all they do is
>rip on DirectTV and not really say what is so much better or special
>about their service. All they do is point out the negatives of satellite
>TV and make parody commercials to rip on them.
>
>There is another local company here that has ads where they rip
>apart all their competitors non stop and never say *anything*
>good about their own service. They come off as arrogant,
>condescending, and desperate.
>
>It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
>about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.
>
>I'm not saying SoE shouldn't be doing this. They can do what they
>want.. But I see it in a negative light.

By pointing out WoW's server problems they are pointing to their own
reliability. It may be inferred, but they do point out their own
reliability.

Lynley
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 15, 2005 2:04:59 PM

Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> writes:

> By pointing out WoW's server problems they are pointing to their own
> reliability. It may be inferred, but they do point out their own
> reliability.

Or lack of players comparatively. It's easier to keep low population
games up than immensely popular ones - like WoW.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 15, 2005 8:53:30 PM

In article <VH1Zd.1550$Jd2.76656@news20.bellglobal.com>, Grackle wrote:
> Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
> this level.

It's especially amusing considering that it was EQ2, not WoW, that has had
the longest outright failure: they were 100% down for an entire weekend.

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous

"Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote in message

>> By pointing out WoW's server problems they are pointing to their own
>> reliability. It may be inferred, but they do point out their own
>> reliability.
>
> Or lack of players comparatively. It's easier to keep low population
> games up than immensely popular ones - like WoW.

No, they just have a lot more experience with what it takes to maintain an
MMOG. Blizzard is new at this.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2005 1:56:16 PM

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> writes:

> No, they just have a lot more experience with what it takes to
> maintain an MMOG. Blizzard is new at this.

They have run multiplayer games before, though, through Battle.net.
MMORPGs are just larger than what they have done before.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2005 4:32:10 PM

> "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> writes:
>
>> No, they just have a lot more experience with what it takes to
>> maintain an MMOG. Blizzard is new at this.
>
> They have run multiplayer games before, though, through Battle.net.
> MMORPGs are just larger than what they have done before.

Totally different experiences. Battle.net required, for the most part, being
able to link hundreds of thousands of computers together via peer-to-peer
connections with no more than 8 players at once. The Realms were a bit
different and did require some persistent server technology, but still it
was nothing at all like the WoW architecture, which requires having to
maintain dozens of servers that have to support tens of thousands of clients
at one time. This is what they're new at and one of the reasons, I think,
they're having trouble. Every MMOG developer goes through this the first
time or two through, they'll get better at it.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 16, 2005 4:38:50 PM

"Tim Smith" <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message

> It's especially amusing considering that it was EQ2, not WoW, that has had
> the longest outright failure: they were 100% down for an entire weekend.

More than a weekend, the servers were actually down for 72 hours while the
databases were restored and rolled back to a prior save point. Heads rolled
within SOE over that one, that was an inexcusable screwup. I think the
reason that WoW has the bigger image problem here is because this kind of
thing is pretty rare in EQ2 (it's never happened since), but WoW's problems
have been consistent from the beginning and continue today, months after
launch. Most people I think will forgive anomalous outages that occur rarely
(and to SOE's credit, they rewarded players with almost a week of double
experience afterwards, which made everyone forget about the bitching and
moaning the weekend before). But people get tired of ongoing problems and
constant queues and I think that's the reason Blizzard has the PR issue.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes
March 17, 2005 6:03:38 AM

> "Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote in message
>> "Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> writes:
>>
>>> No, they just have a lot more experience with what it takes to
>>> maintain an MMOG. Blizzard is new at this.
>>
>> They have run multiplayer games before, though, through Battle.net.
>> MMORPGs are just larger than what they have done before.
>
> Totally different experiences. Battle.net required, for the most part,
> being able to link hundreds of thousands of computers together via
> peer-to-peer connections with no more than 8 players at once. The Realms
> were a bit different and did require some persistent server technology,
> but still it was nothing at all like the WoW architecture, which requires
> having to maintain dozens of servers that have to support tens of
> thousands of clients at one time. This is what they're new at and one of
> the reasons, I think, they're having trouble. Every MMOG developer goes
> through this the first time or two through, they'll get better at it.

Yeah, but by the time the Starcraft MMORPG comes out, they'll have it down.
:-p
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 19, 2005 1:50:16 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:53:30 GMT, Tim Smith
<reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrotC:D RIVE_E

>In article <VH1Zd.1550$Jd2.76656@news20.bellglobal.com>, Grackle wrote:
>> Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
>> this level.
>
>It's especially amusing considering that it was EQ2, not WoW, that has had
>the longest outright failure: they were 100% down for an entire weekend.

The difference is, that was one incident in almost six months. You got
a lot of whining at the time, but it was quickly forgotten. From what
I can tell, WoW's problems are endemic.
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 29, 2005 2:56:23 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:51:11 GMT, Jim Vieira wrote:

> "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-13, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
>>> I was browsing Gamespot and there was an advertisement by SoE that went
> like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> Why go
>>> W
>>> o
>>>======
>>> Why go to a World of Waiting?
>>>======
>>> Explore Everquest II instead
>>>======
>>> Our servers are up for adventure.
>>>======
>>>

>>> Seems to me that Sony has some major WoW resentment, to have to sink to
> this
>>> level.
>>
>> It's funny because it's true. Nothing wrong with SoE pointing it
>> out.
>
> I think he's refering more to the fact that negative advertising shows
> a lack of class and inability to tout ones own good features/qualities.
>
> Like when a poltician only tells you what's wrong with the other guy
> and doesn't tell you what he would do differently or better.
>
> Like when a store is telling you about how horrible some other store
> is. I see this all the time with local cable company, as all they do is
> rip on DirectTV and not really say what is so much better or special
> about their service. All they do is point out the negatives of satellite
> TV and make parody commercials to rip on them.
>
> There is another local company here that has ads where they rip
> apart all their competitors non stop and never say *anything*
> good about their own service. They come off as arrogant,
> condescending, and desperate.
>
> It's usually looked upon as them not having anything good to say
> about themselves and so they just go negative on the competition.
>
> I'm not saying SoE shouldn't be doing this. They can do what they
> want.. But I see it in a negative light.

I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the fact
that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing things for
several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which I was planning to
buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save others from buying what
seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're doing people a service. And
if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then everyone
who plays WoW is better off too.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 29, 2005 8:31:06 AM

"Dr. Pepper" <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> once tried to test me with:

> if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then
> everyone who plays WoW is better off too.

On this much, we can agree.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 30, 2005 12:01:39 AM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:56:23 -0500, "Dr. Pepper"
<nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> wrote:

..

>I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
>newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the fact
>that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing things for
>several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which I was planning to
>buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save others from buying what
>seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're doing people a service. And
>if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then everyone
>who plays WoW is better off too.

The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
order is suspended pending the appeal though.

Lynley
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 30, 2005 12:01:40 AM

Lynley James wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:56:23 -0500, "Dr. Pepper"
> <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> wrote:
>
> .
>
>>I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
>>newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the fact
>>that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing things for
>>several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which I was planning to
>>buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save others from buying what
>>seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're doing people a service. And
>>if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then everyone
>>who plays WoW is better off too.
>

> The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
> have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
> order is suspended pending the appeal though.

Huh!!! Really!!?? Wow, I hadn't heard they couldn't sell the PS2 in
the US anymore. What happened there???
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 30, 2005 12:01:40 AM

Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in

> The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
> have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
> order is suspended pending the appeal though.

Yup. Because they are appealling, the order to stop selling the PS2 is not
enforced.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

On 2005-03-29, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
>> have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
>> order is suspended pending the appeal though.
>
> Yup. Because they are appealling, the order to stop selling the PS2 is not
> enforced.

Essentially the courts just did a: "Do you wish to continue Y/n?"
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 30, 2005 1:45:19 AM

James Garvin wrote:
> Lynley James wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:56:23 -0500, "Dr. Pepper"
>> <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> wrote:
>>
>> .
>>
>>> I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
>>> newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the
>>> fact
>>> that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing things
>>> for
>>> several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which I was
>>> planning to
>>> buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save others from buying
>>> what
>>> seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're doing people a
>>> service. And
>>> if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then
>>> everyone
>>> who plays WoW is better off too.
>>

>> The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
>> have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
>> order is suspended pending the appeal though.
>

> Huh!!! Really!!?? Wow, I hadn't heard they couldn't sell the PS2 in
> the US anymore. What happened there???

a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 30, 2005 2:23:58 AM

James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in

> Lynley James wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:56:23 -0500, "Dr. Pepper"
>> <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> wrote:
>>
>> .
>>
>>>I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
>>>newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the
>>>fact that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing
>>>things for several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which
>>>I was planning to buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save
>>>others from buying what seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're
>>>doing people a service. And if Sony's ads light a fire under
>>>Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then everyone who plays WoW is better
>>>off too.
>>

>> The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case
>> and have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if
>> the order is suspended pending the appeal though.
>
> Huh!!! Really!!?? Wow, I hadn't heard they couldn't sell the PS2 in
> the US anymore. What happened there???

They haven't stopped selling PS2's. The court's order was for them to pay
$90ish million to Immersion, and halt sales of PS2, PS1, and a bunch of
games that use Immersion's technology. The order was immediately stayed
pending appeal by Sony.

A bunch of irresponsible, sensation-seeking press decided it would be
"cool" to post that PS2 sales were halted in the US, even though they
HAVE NEVER STOPPED SELLING THEM. Basically, they tried to sell papers or
web ads or whatever by misleading the readers. And if you look way down
in the article, under the big headline that says "Sony Ordered to Halt
PS2 Sales" you'll see the bit about it being stayed pending appeal. If
they were even THAT honest. About par for the course. It seems that
journalistic integrity is now an oxymoron.

The thing is, even if Sony loses the appeal, they're never going to halt
sales of PS2's (or PS3's or whatever else they're selling at the time).
They will pay a huge chunk of change to Immersion if they lose, and
they'll then start paying something to Immersion in the form of a license
to use their technology (or they'll have built their own somehow), but
they aren't going to quit sellng PS2's. Anyone that thinks this is flat
out stupid.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
March 30, 2005 8:41:04 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:04:42 -0700, James Garvin
<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>Lynley James wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:56:23 -0500, "Dr. Pepper"
>> <nobody@nowhere789gfa8.net> wrote:
>>
>> .
>>
>>>I think it's a smart business move by Sony. Having read here on this
>>>newsgroup about all the server problems WoW has been having (and the fact
>>>that no appreciable progress seems to have been made in fixing things for
>>>several months), I have decided to skip buying WoW (which I was planning to
>>>buy) and go with EQ2 instead. If Sony's ads save others from buying what
>>>seems to be a broken game (WoW), then they're doing people a service. And
>>>if Sony's ads light a fire under Blizzard's asses to fix WoW, then everyone
>>>who plays WoW is better off too.
>>

>> The group needs to do something since they lost the Immersion case and
>> have been ordered to stop sales of the PS2 in the US. I dunno if the
>> order is suspended pending the appeal though.
>
>Huh!!! Really!!?? Wow, I hadn't heard they couldn't sell the PS2 in
>the US anymore. What happened there???

Immersion claimed that Sony infringed on their patent for rumble pads
back in 2002 or 2001. Judgement was handed down yesterday or the day
before, not sure which court as the US court hierarchy gives me
headaches but I think it is a California one, and the judge found for
Immersion. He ordered Sony to stop all sales of the PS2 and fined
them something like $90m. Of course Sony are appealing as, surprise,
they do not believe that they infringed on anyone's patent rights.

Not sure how the appeal affects the order.

Lynley
!