Sign in with
Your question

Trying to repair windows 7 HELP!

Last response: in Windows 7
June 4, 2012 9:07:39 PM

This morning when i got on my computer it was going through boot process like normal but then i got a blue screen. So ive been tryin to get into windows 7 repair with my disc but everytime it loads the files it either restarts or i get blue screen. I can boot in safe mode and i cant get into windows. I was in process of adding a graphics card. But this happened before that. I have the card in it now, replaced a dedicated gpu. Please someone help me get my computer working again....

More about : repair windows

a b $ Windows 7
June 4, 2012 9:25:46 PM

Go into your bios and check your settings, the boot order, sata mode, or graphics order could have gotten corrupted -- I would just make sure that all the values are what you want.

Once you can reliably boot into safe mode, delete the graphic drivers and anything else new that you added just before this started. If all else fails you can do a repair installation (that *should* not affect any data or programs, it just re-installs Windows 7 and then you have to re-install all the updates).
m
l
June 4, 2012 9:27:58 PM

RealBeast said:
Go into your bios and check your settings, the boot order, sata mode, or graphics order could have gotten corrupted -- I would just make sure that all the values are what you want.

Is there a specific order it needs to be in? I dont think i messed with the boot order but maybe i did by mistake.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 4, 2012 9:30:11 PM

Not really, many people use the cd/dvd as 1 and the hdd as 2, I do that when necessary but usually keep hdd as 1 to make a faster boot. More likely a BSOD would be from SATA mode change or a graphic bios issue.
m
l
June 4, 2012 9:32:38 PM

So im under the BIOS setup utility: Boot tab, > Boot device Priority
1st: Hard Drive Group
2nd: CD ROM group
3rd: Network Boot group
4th: Floppy group

Is this what your talking about?
m
l
June 4, 2012 9:43:57 PM

Getting Windows Error Recovery: try launchin startup repair. it loads files and then it hits blue screen.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 4, 2012 9:48:13 PM

That sounds fine, and unless you have 2 HDDs with operating systems that is not the issue. Next check the bios SATA mode and insure that it is what you had (IDE or SATA), then check to see if the startup graphics are correct.

Can you boot into a stable safe mode?
m
l
June 4, 2012 9:55:40 PM

No when i try to boot in safe mode it thinks for a bit then reboots itself. I only have 1 harddrive. The options for graphics are Onboar and pci. I took the graphics out atm to try and just get computer running. I have it set to pci. As that is what it was default set to. I upgraded to windows 7 last week would that have anythin to do with my current problems? This is the first time i have had an error since then.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 4, 2012 9:57:38 PM

if windows is corrupted or not booting its usually from faulty hardware (rare for windows to not want to boot etc)

memtest for memory and somehow test the rest where possible
m
l
June 4, 2012 9:59:18 PM

I ran a memory test earlier everythhing worked fine. Read about that test earlier. Also took all my ram out and dusted them just in case.
m
l
June 4, 2012 9:59:59 PM

Could it be a driver issue? If it is how would i go about fixing that?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 4, 2012 10:09:24 PM

Boot into safe mode and remove all new drivers.
m
l
June 4, 2012 10:13:04 PM

When i try and boot in safe mode. It loads alot of the code or w.e it is. Then it reboots. Wont go to desktop or anything.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 4, 2012 10:16:21 PM

Then continue to check all your bios settings, and you may want to reset your bios with the clear CMOS jumper on your board in case something corrupted it during a driver install.
m
l
June 4, 2012 10:31:09 PM

I had to look up what you meant. I couldnt find the jumper but i took out the battery for a few min. about to put it back in and see if it does anything.
m
l
June 4, 2012 10:33:53 PM

Went i put the battery in and plugged cord in it start up by itself the bios seemed to be reset but the windows recovery page still popped up. And after it loaded files i got blue screen yet again :( 
m
l
June 4, 2012 10:42:39 PM

So my memory seems to be fine. Im tryin to find a way to test my hard drive to make sure its working but all the tests i have seen require you to be in windows. Which i can not do....
m
l
June 4, 2012 11:01:58 PM

I just want to punch a hole in the wall :(  all i want is to get my computer up and running again its its proving to be very difficult....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 1:36:31 AM

So you say that the memory is fine -- does that mean that memtest runs without error? If so, then that indicates that the hardware is not the issue, but rather your Windows drivers are the problem.

If you want to punch the wall, take the night off. After 30 years of building computers, I guarantee that punching the wall will not make it work.

Then tomorrow, do a repair installation -- put the Win 7 install disk in and start up from the DVD and choose a repair installation.
m
l
June 5, 2012 2:32:16 AM

Did the blue screen issue happen before or after you replaced the dedicated GPU? Also, you mentioned you had an older GPU, was it working fine? Also can you tell me what kind of GPU's you have? Old and new.
m
l
June 5, 2012 4:33:31 AM

fantastik250 said:
Did the blue screen issue happen before or after you replaced the dedicated GPU? Also, you mentioned you had an older GPU, was it working fine? Also can you tell me what kind of GPU's you have? Old and new.

I was having the problem before, I also just bought a new harddrive and im having same issue tryin to install on new drive. Old gpu im unsure its intergrated, new one i have is geforce gt 520
m
l
June 5, 2012 4:38:41 AM

Okay the best possible fix for you right now is to do a clean install. This will take care of any driver related issue and incompatibility settings. Do you have a windows 7 disk not the repair disk. Is that reasonable for you to do?
m
l
June 5, 2012 4:46:00 AM

Yea i just did fresh install last week for win 7 once. So again isnt an issue. I have my win 7 disk but it seems not to let me get to the menus to reformat/delete partitions
m
l
June 5, 2012 4:49:00 AM

if it ever blue screens again, there is usually a file or something that caused it to crash for example keyboard.sys

Let us knows when it happens.
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:05:14 AM

Im tryin to boot from disc. It says Windows is loading files.... bar goes to full. Then it goes to Starting windows screen all black no icon shows up then i get blue screen
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:09:05 AM

What does the blue screen say. It's usually under all the 0x0x00000 stuff.
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:16:10 AM

*** stop 0x0000007f (0x00.... ect.
theres nothing underneath that
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:17:19 AM

there is no other file name?
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:17:47 AM

No sir that stop code is the last thing on the page
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:26:27 AM

Okay, I can think of some possible blue screens. A hardware might be failing, A connection may be faulty, or some incompatibility issue.

Have you checked in your BIOS and cleared it?
Also, I wonder if there is something wrong with the CD drive you may be using.
A possibility that your harddrive may have errors.
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:28:16 AM

I took out the lil battery on mobo and reset settings to default is that the correct way? I have a 2nd cd drive should i be trying to use that one? Even my new Hard drive could have errors?
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:33:40 AM

That is correct. Try a 2nd CD drive. We'll have to rule out the CD drive if your HDD drive is working. Also are you using IDE or SATA for your HDD? If it's SATA make sure you enable ACHI in the BIOS.
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:38:05 AM

Im in bios so i need to change under advanced onboard PATA/SATA adapters to SATA? theres also Onboard PATA/SATA config but options are only Enhanced Mode or Combined.
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:41:08 AM

When i set it to Sata i cant boot from disk drives. If i set it to both they show up, i havent tried booting from them tho.
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:46:11 AM

Even tho im booting from drive its taking me to screen: boot normally or boot with windows repair.

Worst day ever :( 
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:46:35 AM

Then after that it loads windows files then blue screen
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:47:18 AM

It's ok. Boot normally, does it take you to your desktop?
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:52:03 AM

Goes to loading windows screen no icon comes up and reboots itself
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:55:17 AM

Okay, before you go to sleep. Realbeast mentioned to boot off from the CD/DVD and start the windows 7 repair. Go into your BIOS and change the boot priority to CD/DVD or something like that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 6:00:35 AM

xSiBx said:
So im under the BIOS setup utility: Boot tab, > Boot device Priority
1st: Hard Drive Group
2nd: CD ROM group
3rd: Network Boot group
4th: Floppy group

Is this what your talking about?

I've never seen network boot group before.

where it say floppy. disable it if you're not hooking up a floppy drive. also disable it in the BIOS below where the date and time is set. Machine is looking for it and it doesn't exist.

if the machine ( mother board ) has on board video use that until you get your problem figured out.
m
l
June 5, 2012 6:01:17 AM

Yea ill try more tomorrow i have to get off to bed. Appreciate your help so far hope i can get this fixed soon :p 
m
l
June 5, 2012 7:13:37 PM

swifty_morgan said:
I've never seen network boot group before.

where it say floppy. disable it if you're not hooking up a floppy drive. also disable it in the BIOS below where the date and time is set. Machine is looking for it and it doesn't exist.

if the machine ( mother board ) has on board video use that until you get your problem figured out.

ok i disabled the floopy cuz i dont have one of course. And i set the graphics to Onboard. Still trying to get into windows but not having much luck. Could this be a mother board issue? The system is around the 5 year old area.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 7:34:47 PM

reset the cmos. then try again......... disable the floppy and the network group thing. make sure all hardware is firmly seated and all wires are seated in their sockets.
m
l
!