Trying to repair windows 7 HELP!

xSiBx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
This morning when i got on my computer it was going through boot process like normal but then i got a blue screen. So ive been tryin to get into windows 7 repair with my disc but everytime it loads the files it either restarts or i get blue screen. I can boot in safe mode and i cant get into windows. I was in process of adding a graphics card. But this happened before that. I have the card in it now, replaced a dedicated gpu. Please someone help me get my computer working again....

RealBeast

Titan
Go into your bios and check your settings, the boot order, sata mode, or graphics order could have gotten corrupted -- I would just make sure that all the values are what you want.

Once you can reliably boot into safe mode, delete the graphic drivers and anything else new that you added just before this started. If all else fails you can do a repair installation (that *should* not affect any data or programs, it just re-installs Windows 7 and then you have to re-install all the updates).

xSiBx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

Is there a specific order it needs to be in? I dont think i messed with the boot order but maybe i did by mistake.

xSiBx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
So im under the BIOS setup utility: Boot tab, > Boot device Priority
1st: Hard Drive Group
2nd: CD ROM group
3rd: Network Boot group
4th: Floppy group

Is this what your talking about?

RealBeast

Titan
That sounds fine, and unless you have 2 HDDs with operating systems that is not the issue. Next check the bios SATA mode and insure that it is what you had (IDE or SATA), then check to see if the startup graphics are correct.

Can you boot into a stable safe mode?

xSiBx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
No when i try to boot in safe mode it thinks for a bit then reboots itself. I only have 1 harddrive. The options for graphics are Onboar and pci. I took the graphics out atm to try and just get computer running. I have it set to pci. As that is what it was default set to. I upgraded to windows 7 last week would that have anythin to do with my current problems? This is the first time i have had an error since then.

xSiBx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Went i put the battery in and plugged cord in it start up by itself the bios seemed to be reset but the windows recovery page still popped up. And after it loaded files i got blue screen yet again :(

xSiBx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
So my memory seems to be fine. Im tryin to find a way to test my hard drive to make sure its working but all the tests i have seen require you to be in windows. Which i can not do....

RealBeast

Titan
So you say that the memory is fine -- does that mean that memtest runs without error? If so, then that indicates that the hardware is not the issue, but rather your Windows drivers are the problem.

If you want to punch the wall, take the night off. After 30 years of building computers, I guarantee that punching the wall will not make it work.

Then tomorrow, do a repair installation -- put the Win 7 install disk in and start up from the DVD and choose a repair installation.

xSiBx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

I was having the problem before, I also just bought a new harddrive and im having same issue tryin to install on new drive. Old gpu im unsure its intergrated, new one i have is geforce gt 520

fantastik250

Distinguished
Okay the best possible fix for you right now is to do a clean install. This will take care of any driver related issue and incompatibility settings. Do you have a windows 7 disk not the repair disk. Is that reasonable for you to do?

xSiBx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Yea i just did fresh install last week for win 7 once. So again isnt an issue. I have my win 7 disk but it seems not to let me get to the menus to reformat/delete partitions

xSiBx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Im tryin to boot from disc. It says Windows is loading files.... bar goes to full. Then it goes to Starting windows screen all black no icon shows up then i get blue screen