Morrowind technical help needed

I've recently decided to start playing Morrowind again, so I
reinstalled it. The game experiences frequent freezes, especially when
NPCs start to speak, but not always. Sometimes it happens when I'm just
turning around, but not as frequently as in towns or fighting monsters
where the NPCs are making noises. The background music will keep
playing for a few seconds, then it will abruptly stop. After a few more
seconds of complete silence, the music will restart, then stop again
for a few more seconds. Then the music restarts and the game unfreezes.
Sometimes the lockups can go on for more than 30 seconds. I know it's
not other applications that are running at the same time, because it
happens when I reboot and nothing else is running. I have Bloodmoon
installed (but not Tribunal) and it seems to happen on the island just
as frequently. Right now no mods are installed, just the basic game and
Bloodmoon.

My system is not blazing fast by today's standards, but would have been
when the game was released 2 years ago. I do have the most recent
patch, and my hardware is as follows:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3200+
RAM: 1.5 GB DDR
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Mobo: Asus A7N8X (nVidia nForce 2 chipset)
Sound: Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy II
Mouse: Logitech MX Laser
OS: Windows XP Home

Other games run just fine, and Morrowind ran just fine a couple of
years ago when I had an Athlon 1700+ with 512 MB of RAM (one stick
still the same), the same mobo and a Radeon 9700 Pro. Can anyone help?
Thanks.

> Dump the sound blaster, use the sound chip built in to the A7N8X ..
I'd
> bet (small) amount of money the problem goes away. Creative have
NEVER
> produced a decent driver set for SB cards.
>
> Failing that, revert to using the MS Windows drivers, which have less

> features but are equally less buggy.
>
> or turn EAX off (or disable sound entirely).
>
> --
> GSV Three Minds in a Can
> SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

I would, but the onboard sound does not get along well with some of the
other games that I have. I play CoH and Everquest, and when I use the
onboard sound, it's all staticky, as well as in some other games that I
have such as FarCry. I know it's not the speakers, because when I
switch to the Audigy with the same speakers, they sound fine. So
unfortunately the onboard sound is not an option. I might try replacing
the drivers, though.

Bitstring <1110760710.305085.142900@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person kobun37@yahoo.com said

kobun37@yahoo.com wrote:
> I've recently decided to start playing Morrowind again, so I
> reinstalled it. The game experiences frequent freezes, especially when
> NPCs start to speak, but not always. Sometimes it happens when I'm just
> turning around, but not as frequently as in towns or fighting monsters
> where the NPCs are making noises. The background music will keep
> playing for a few seconds, then it will abruptly stop. After a few more
> seconds of complete silence, the music will restart, then stop again
> for a few more seconds. Then the music restarts and the game unfreezes.
> Sometimes the lockups can go on for more than 30 seconds. I know it's
> not other applications that are running at the same time, because it
> happens when I reboot and nothing else is running. I have Bloodmoon
> installed (but not Tribunal) and it seems to happen on the island just
> as frequently. Right now no mods are installed, just the basic game and
> Bloodmoon.
>
> My system is not blazing fast by today's standards, but would have been
> when the game was released 2 years ago. I do have the most recent
> patch, and my hardware is as follows:
>
> CPU: AMD Athlon 3200+
> RAM: 1.5 GB DDR
> Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
> Mobo: Asus A7N8X (nVidia nForce 2 chipset)
> Sound: Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy II
> Mouse: Logitech MX Laser
> OS: Windows XP Home
>
> Other games run just fine, and Morrowind ran just fine a couple of
> years ago when I had an Athlon 1700+ with 512 MB of RAM (one stick
> still the same), the same mobo and a Radeon 9700 Pro. Can anyone help?
> Thanks.

Have you tried reducing your audio acceleration a couple of notches?

kobun37@yahoo.com wrote:

> My system is not blazing fast by today's standards, but would have been
> when the game was released 2 years ago. I do have the most recent
> patch

It sounds like a driver problem. Be sure all your Windows updates are
applied, and update your drivers.

The other fellow's suggestion about using the onboard sound instead of
your soundcard is an option, but IMHO that is a last resort, and isn't
the first thing you should try.

Bitstring <39lqsbF63dfaeU1@individual.net>, from the wonderful person
ToolPackinMama <laura@lauragoodwin.org> said
>kobun37@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> My system is not blazing fast by today's standards, but would have been
>> when the game was released 2 years ago. I do have the most recent
>> patch
>
>It sounds like a driver problem. Be sure all your Windows updates are
>applied, and update your drivers.
>
>The other fellow's suggestion about using the onboard sound instead of
>your soundcard is an option, but IMHO that is a last resort, and isn't
>the first thing you should try.

It's the first thing I would try, just to demonstrate the problem is/is
not anything to do with the Create Sb card. If it cures the problem,
then you can look at other options (or just stick with it). If it
=doesn't= cure the problem, you can forget about sound card and drivers
as a potential cause.

--

In article <1110763301.468333.200580@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
kobun37@yahoo.com says...
> I would, but the onboard sound does not get along well with some of the
> other games that I have. I play CoH and Everquest, and when I use the
> onboard sound, it's all staticky, as well as in some other games that I
> have such as FarCry. I know it's not the speakers, because when I
> switch to the Audigy with the same speakers, they sound fine. So
> unfortunately the onboard sound is not an option. I might try replacing
> the drivers, though.

Could be codecs, too. I recently installed Freelancer and the sound
didn't work right, in fact it was much as you described. Turned out that
the Fraunhofer audio codec on my machine had been replaced with the Pro
version by some software or other, and this caused the problems.

h.t.h. -Peter