Anyone shutting down due to Quantegy?

Last response: in Home Audio
January 7, 2005 12:49:10 PM

Just a survey....

Anyone planning on shutting down their operation (whole or part)
because of the Quantegy shutdown?

dB

More about : shutting due quantegy

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:13:48 PM

No
January 13, 2005 1:27:49 PM

This news makes my tweaker quite shrunken. Do FW drives need to be
biased or azimuth'ed?
A friend and studio owner has a great idea and will be RENTING tape to
his clients. We actually experienced this in Moscow where some 2"
tapes were 7 years old. They would mix a project and then record the
next over over it.
January 13, 2005 9:06:34 PM

In article <1105640869.735819.279470@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> miked@wrmusic.com writes:

> A friend and studio owner has a great idea and will be RENTING tape to
> his clients. We actually experienced this in Moscow where some 2"
> tapes were 7 years old. They would mix a project and then record the
> next over over it.

This is nothing new. Studios have been doing this for years back in
the day when tape was expensive and people made up their minds that
the project was done and all they'd even want to do is reissue from
the 2-track mix.

If today's clients weren't such cheapskates and figure that since the
disk is in your computer, space is free, we'd be renting disk space.

January 14, 2005 3:39:43 AM

Some bigger studios do in fact rent disk space.

> In article <1105640869.735819.279470@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
> miked@wrmusic.com writes:
>
>> A friend and studio owner has a great idea and will be RENTING tape to
>> his clients. We actually experienced this in Moscow where some 2"
>> tapes were 7 years old. They would mix a project and then record the
>> next over over it.
>
> This is nothing new. Studios have been doing this for years back in
> the day when tape was expensive and people made up their minds that
> the project was done and all they'd even want to do is reissue from
> the 2-track mix.
>
> If today's clients weren't such cheapskates and figure that since the
> disk is in your computer, space is free, we'd be renting disk space.

January 19, 2005 11:38:11 PM

I don't recommend it... at least from a client's perspective. I "rented"
disc space for my first full-blown PT session in December of 2003.
Before we got around to returning for vocal overdubs in January of
2004, the studio - one of the oldest and most reputable in Dallas -
had closed and removed all of the computers from the building.
No back-ups were ever made.

We spent until late August of last year attempting to recover over
two hours of recorded rhythm tracks for a jazz quartet. The former
studio owners finally stopped talking with us at all. The engineers
who lost their jobs stopped trying to help us long before that. We
offered to buy the drive, pay for the time to locate the correct drive,
yadda, yadda... to no avail.

Two hours of recorded material... gone... because the client didn't
buy and take the drive with him after our original sessions. My client
wasn't that much of a cheapskate, but the studio offered so he bit.
Whooda' thunk that the oldest studio in Dallas would go belly up
just days after your session !?!

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

"audioguy" <urbinsprawl@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:jxEFd.6292$C52.127@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> Some bigger studios do in fact rent disk space.

> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
>
> > If today's clients weren't such cheapskates and figure that since the
> > disk is in your computer, space is free, we'd be renting disk space.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:17:51 AM

If they were actually renting the drive space under some terms, there is
obvious liability that comes with that. If they took that "rent" but then
lost or dumped the files, that's akin to losing a client's master tape,
which is definite lawsuit material. I know of one prominent NYC studio
closure back in the early 90's where there were some major legal battles
over the (improper) disposition of client tapes. Of course whether there is
any point pursuing a money judgement from a DOA studio operation is another
story.

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
>I don't recommend it... at least from a client's perspective. I "rented"
> disc space for my first full-blown PT session in December of 2003.
> Before we got around to returning for vocal overdubs in January of
> 2004, the studio - one of the oldest and most reputable in Dallas -
> had closed and removed all of the computers from the building.
> No back-ups were ever made.
>
> We spent until late August of last year attempting to recover over
> two hours of recorded rhythm tracks for a jazz quartet. The former
> studio owners finally stopped talking with us at all. The engineers
> who lost their jobs stopped trying to help us long before that. We
> offered to buy the drive, pay for the time to locate the correct drive,
> yadda, yadda... to no avail.
>
> Two hours of recorded material... gone... because the client didn't
> buy and take the drive with him after our original sessions. My client
> wasn't that much of a cheapskate, but the studio offered so he bit.
> Whooda' thunk that the oldest studio in Dallas would go belly up
> just days after your session !?!
>
> --
> David Morgan (MAMS)
> http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com
> Morgan Audio Media Service
> Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
> _______________________________________
> http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com
>

> "audioguy" <urbinsprawl@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Some bigger studios do in fact rent disk space.
>

>> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > If today's clients weren't such cheapskates and figure that since the
>> > disk is in your computer, space is free, we'd be renting disk space.

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:17:21 AM

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
> I don't recommend it... at least from a client's perspective. I "rented"
> disc space for my first full-blown PT session in December of 2003.
> Before we got around to returning for vocal overdubs in January of
> 2004, the studio - one of the oldest and most reputable in Dallas -
> had closed and removed all of the computers from the building.
> No back-ups were ever made.
>
> We spent until late August of last year attempting to recover over
> two hours of recorded rhythm tracks for a jazz quartet. The former
> studio owners finally stopped talking with us at all. The engineers
> who lost their jobs stopped trying to help us long before that. We
> offered to buy the drive, pay for the time to locate the correct drive,
> yadda, yadda... to no avail.
>
> Two hours of recorded material... gone... because the client didn't
> buy and take the drive with him after our original sessions. My client
> wasn't that much of a cheapskate, but the studio offered so he bit.
> Whooda' thunk that the oldest studio in Dallas would go belly up
> just days after your session !?!

That was downright mean, wasn't it?

With that kind of attitude the technology makes no difference. Who's to say
that they wouldn't have trashed tapes too?

Predrag
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:17:22 AM

Predrag Trpkov wrote:

> With that kind of attitude the technology makes no difference. Who's to say
> that they wouldn't have trashed tapes too?

Much less likely. I am sure they would have given or sold the tapes to
the band.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:17:23 AM

> Much less likely. I am sure they would have given or sold the tapes to
> the band.

In fact the band would probably already own the tapes.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:31:36 AM

"Predrag Trpkov" <predrag.trpkovNeSpamu@ri.htnet.hr> wrote in message news:csmm9j$dns$1@ls219.htnet.hr...

> "David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
> > I don't recommend it... at least from a client's perspective. I "rented"
> > disc space for my first full-blown PT session in December of 2003.
> > Before we got around to returning for vocal overdubs in January of
> > 2004, the studio - one of the oldest and most reputable in Dallas -
> > had closed and removed all of the computers from the building.
> > No back-ups were ever made.
> >
> > We spent until late August of last year attempting to recover over
> > two hours of recorded rhythm tracks for a jazz quartet. The former
> > studio owners finally stopped talking with us at all. The engineers
> > who lost their jobs stopped trying to help us long before that. We
> > offered to buy the drive, pay for the time to locate the correct drive,
> > yadda, yadda... to no avail.
> >
> > Two hours of recorded material... gone... because the client didn't
> > buy and take the drive with him after our original sessions. My client
> > wasn't that much of a cheapskate, but the studio offered so he bit.
> > Whooda' thunk that the oldest studio in Dallas would go belly up
> > just days after your session !?!
>

> That was downright mean, wasn't it?
>
> With that kind of attitude the technology makes no difference. Who's to say
> that they wouldn't have trashed tapes too?
>
> Predrag

There was a 2" machine there, but the console was in such a state of
disrepair that it could only be used as a monitor and a patchbay for the
PT setup. The defunct Amek Hendrix mixer made the 2" machine dead
in the water... there's no telling when it was used last or how much client
tape was around.

It was kind of a funny situation... the owner claimed that the computers
were all moved to his father's house, and we weren't allowed access
to his father. The company had it's fingers in too many pies, which is
the primary cause for the collapse of the studio.

The day I went back to check on the drive, which was shortly after they
cancelled our follow-up sessions, all of the cool preamps, compressors
and the like, had all been removed and replaced with a lot of pure junk.
You could hardly tell that it was the same studio, and it was suddenly
up 'for sale'.

I *am* curious as to what happened to all of the microphones, since they
had probably the biggest collection of vintage large diaphragm condensers
in the city.

I really haven't thought much about it until I saw Mike mention 'renting'
hard drive space. In our case, we didn't sign any sort of agreement or
anything. After all, I'd known the engineers there for years and the studio
was virtually a landmark.... never thought for a minute there would ever
be a problem.

DM
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 5:38:03 AM

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> Predrag Trpkov wrote:
>
> > With that kind of attitude the technology makes no difference. Who's to
say
> > that they wouldn't have trashed tapes too?
>
> Much less likely. I am sure they would have given or sold the tapes to
> the band.

Then there was no reason not to safekeep and then sell them the hard disk.
All it would have taken is a minimum of concern. Their business went down
and they decided to screw the guys that did what they could to prevent
that - their last clients. This is about some real bad attitude and not
about one format being less convenient than the other.

Predrag
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 5:38:04 AM

Predrag Trpkov wrote:

> Then there was no reason not to safekeep and then sell them the hard disk.
> All it would have taken is a minimum of concern. Their business went down
> and they decided to screw the guys that did what they could to prevent
> that - their last clients. This is about some real bad attitude and not
> about one format being less convenient than the other.

Ok, I didn't see all the facts, sorry.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 5:56:08 AM

> I don't recommend it... at least from a client's perspective. I "rented"
> disc space for my first full-blown PT session in December of 2003.
> Before we got around to returning for vocal overdubs in January of
> 2004, the studio - one of the oldest and most reputable in Dallas -
> had closed and removed all of the computers from the building.
> No back-ups were ever made.

> No back-ups were ever made.

> No back-ups were ever made.

> No back-ups were ever made.

> No back-ups were ever made.

I took the liberty of backing up the crucial info <g>
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:39:28 AM

>> No back-ups were ever made.
>
>> No back-ups were ever made.
>
>> No back-ups were ever made.
>
>> No back-ups were ever made.
>
>> No back-ups were ever made.
>

> I took the liberty of backing up the crucial info <g>

ouch....so there Dave.....
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 10:23:55 PM

"audioguy" <urbinsprawl@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:47KHd.1492$cZ1.1023@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> >> No back-ups were ever made.
> >
> >> No back-ups were ever made.
> >
> >> No back-ups were ever made.
> >
> >> No back-ups were ever made.
> >
> >> No back-ups were ever made.
> >

> > I took the liberty of backing up the crucial info <g>

> ouch....so there Dave.....

Ummm... er... ahh.... well.... uh... hmmm... I'm too trusting?

Since the tracking sessions were on December 29th, 2003, they
probably closed the doors literally within hours of our session (Jan.
1, 2004). I'd be relatively certain that the staff engineers were planning
on backing up the drives rather than losing their jobs, but I can't tell ya'
for certain.

Anyway... my suggestion is not to rent drive space. ;-)

DM
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 7:49:38 PM

Predrag Trpkov wrote:

> "Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
>
>>Predrag Trpkov wrote:
>>

>>>With that kind of attitude the technology makes no difference. Who's to
>
> say
>
>>>that they wouldn't have trashed tapes too?
>>
>>Much less likely. I am sure they would have given or sold the tapes to
>>the band.
>

> Then there was no reason not to safekeep and then sell them the hard disk.
> All it would have taken is a minimum of concern. Their business went down
> and they decided to screw the guys that did what they could to prevent
> that - their last clients. This is about some real bad attitude and not
> about one format being less convenient than the other.
>
> Predrag

If the studio is under a sorr of receivership state, it's entirely
possible that the harddrives are under lock and key.

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous

"Les Cargill" <lNOcargill@cfl.Arr.com> wrote in message news:CuvId.211715$8G4.190534@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

> If the studio is under a sorr of receivership state, it's entirely
> possible that the harddrives are under lock and key.
>
> --
> Les Cargill

You know... I never thought about that. As you know, ASC had their
hands in a lot of facets of multimedia... this may have been a major
bankruptcy. And given the fact that everything of real value which
was in the control room virtually dissappeared overnight and was
replaced by cheap junk, this now seems quite possible.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:14:03 AM

My last friend who uses Nagra recorders on a daily basis (major TV
series) has decided that when his stock of 468 is gone he's moving to
an Aaton Cantar and delivering BWFs on DVD. He managed to skip DAT and
Nagra D, staying w/ analog 2 track pretty much to the end. His shows
sound great on the air.

Philip Perkins
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:17:04 AM

My last friend who uses Nagra recorders on a daily basis (major TV
series) has decided that when his stock of 468 is gone he's moving to
an Aaton Cantar and delivering BWFs on DVD. He managed to skip DAT and
Nagra D, staying w/ analog 2 track pretty much to the end. His shows
sound great on the air.

Philip Perkins
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:09:02 AM

> "Les Cargill" <lNOcargill@cfl.Arr.com> wrote in message
>
> > If the studio is under a sorr of receivership state, it's entirely
> > possible that the harddrives are under lock and key.
> >
> > --
> > Les Cargill
>
> You know... I never thought about that. As you know, ASC had their
> hands in a lot of facets of multimedia... this may have been a major
> bankruptcy. And given the fact that everything of real value which
> was in the control room virtually dissappeared overnight and was
> replaced by cheap junk, this now seems quite possible.

A sudden major bankruptcy on the New year's eve?

Even that would have been no excuse for not saving their last clients'
multitrack masters. There's no debate. It's the question of honor.

Predrag
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 3:31:02 AM

My last friend who uses Nagra recorders on a daily basis (major TV
series) has decided that when his stock of 468 is gone he's moving to
an Aaton Cantar and delivering BWFs on DVD. He managed to skip DAT and
Nagra D, staying w/ analog 2 track pretty much to the end. His shows
sound great on the air.

Philip Perkins
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:03:38 PM

"Predrag Trpkov" <predrag.trpkovNeSpamu@ri.htnet.hr> wrote in message news:csufdi$6ql$1@ls219.htnet.hr...

> "David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Les Cargill" <lNOcargill@cfl.Arr.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > If the studio is under a sorr of receivership state, it's entirely
> > > possible that the harddrives are under lock and key.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Les Cargill
> >
> > You know... I never thought about that. As you know, ASC had their
> > hands in a lot of facets of multimedia... this may have been a major
> > bankruptcy. And given the fact that everything of real value which
> > was in the control room virtually dissappeared overnight and was
> > replaced by cheap junk, this now seems quite possible.
>

> A sudden major bankruptcy on the New year's eve?

Well... at least as far as the general public was concerned. I'd be pretty
certain the owners had a clear picture of their options well in advance.

> Even that would have been no excuse for not saving their last clients'
> multitrack masters. There's no debate. It's the question of honor.

Thanks for seeing it the same way I do.

We were led to believe for months that we would get the data.
!