Are there any MMORPG's that would suit me?

I've never played a MMORPG before but now that I'm getting broadband I
fancy a try. Can anyone recommend the best for me considering the
following facts?

I hate people!
Well, what I mean is that I don't want to have to chat or play in a
team to much. I've got my girlfriend, friends and family to talk to if
I feel the need to chat. :eek:)
I understand that there will be the need for some communication but
I'd like it kept to a minimum.

The only online game I have ever played was Quake 2 about 3-4 years ago
but never enjoyed the team games and only liked Deathmatch.

My favourite CRPG's in the last few years in rough order are as
follows:
Baldurs Gate Series
Gothics
Fallouts
Planescape: Torment
Wizardry 8
KOTOR
Morrowind
Arx Fatalis
Icewind Dales

The only popular RPG's that I have ever hated would be the Diablos. I
just can't stand the continuous clicking.

I generally prefer turn based combat or semi turn based like the
infinity engine games but because of playing FPS's I have no problem
with a bit of twitch control needed in Gothic or Morrowind.

I'm playing Gothic 2 with the Night of the Raven (Translation mod
installed) add-on at the minute and would love to play a similar game
online. I'd be quite happy exploring a large game world on my own
fighting monsters and doing quests.

Are there any games and servers out there that might suit me or should
I just stick to single playing RPG's? I've just picked up the
Ultima and Wizardry compilations from Ebay and was going to give them a
crack.

Thanks for any advice.

Badbark
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd
have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel laureate physicist

you shouldn't play a MMORPG if you don't want to talk to other people,
that's what CRPG are for. Still, like they said, World of Waiting
might be fine for you, you can solo (and most people just solo all the
time there, pretty hard to find groups)

oh btw, should've said World of Waiting is our name for World of
Warcraft (since you might not know), it's just that lately you have to
wait for a while before you can play

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-03-15, Badbark <badbark@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any games and servers out there that might suit me or should
> I just stick to single playing RPG's? I've just picked up the
> Ultima and Wizardry compilations from Ebay and was going to give them a
> crack.

WoW can be soloed through most of it except for instance
dungeons. You'll still miss out on raiding if you're not part of
a guild AFAIK.

I've mostly stopped playing MMOs because even when they are
soloable you miss out on a lot without joining a guild and I
never found a decent one to play in.

Badbark wrote:

> I've never played a MMORPG before but now that I'm getting broadband
> fancy a try. Can anyone recommend the best for me considering the
> following facts?

The Gothics, Morrowind, and Arx Fatalis are my favorite RPGs (along
with Anachronox), and the only reason I even considered an MMORPG is
because there simply aren't any other single player games like that
right now (which are any good, at least). I picked World of Warcraft
for a few very simple reasons:

- It's possible to reach the highest levels by soloing, even if you do
miss out on some of the high-end content.
- Blizzard's clearly done a lot of work to minimize the extent to which
malicious players can mess with other players who just want to quest.
- It provides a huge high-fantasy 3D world with varied environments and
tons of hidden passages to explore.

My experiences:
- I haven't experienced ANY of the lag, queues, or disconnects that a
lot of people on some of the more notorious realms have. I do consider
myself lucky, but I also believe that Blizzard's busy trying to make
things better for all realms.
- Most of the other players (at least those of your own faction) are
really nice. All the time I get drive-by buffings from people I don't
even know. Sometimes people wander into populated areas and just start
handing out potions and equipment. And more than once when I found
myself in over my head (this can happen to rogues quite frequently)
other players ran in to help, without me even asking.
- Even though I initially intended to play WoW strictly as a
single-player campaign, or two-player when my wife's online, we've both
found that doing pick-up groups (an ad-hoc group where multiple people
help each other finish a specific quest or other objective) is often
fun and gratifying.
- It's fun to people-watch in the towns and cities. You never know
what you're going to see at any given time- drunken dwarves attempting
to duel, naked elves table dancing at the inn, or a hundred pink-haired
gnomes scurrying down a dirt road.

And okay, the game's NOT perfect. There ARE problematic players,
although the damage they can do is limited, and you have multiple ways
of dealing with them. Plus there are some vexing bugs, which comes
with the territory in any game this big. The way the overall story-
such as it is- comes across is pretty different from offline RPGs- it's
presented entirely through quests, with no voiceovers, cutscenes, or
dialog trees. Still, for the two months my wife and I have been
playing, it's proven to be a fulfilling gaming experience.

"Badbark" <badbark@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1110887751.827377.82250
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> My favourite CRPG's in the last few years in rough order are as

Looks like you might like Ultima Online. But I dont recommend playing the
official servers. Snag a second hand copy of the UO software and go to
UOGateway.com to hook up with the free shards. And check out
uo.stratics.com for some feel about it. (in fact you can check out
www.stratics.com for some feel on all of the mmorpg)

It looks like there are over 100 free UO servers now. All different types.
Its kindof a medieval/magic/monsters version of the Sims. After finding the
free shards (not because they were free but because they are better done)
Im totally rehooked on UO. Anyone who has an old copy of the UO software
laying around and is bored during this slump I would highly recommend
reloading it to check things out.

Gandalf Parker

nostromo

Thus spake "Badbark" <badbark@hotmail.com>, 15 Mar 2005 03:55:51 -0800, Anno
Domini:

>I've never played a MMORPG before but now that I'm getting broadband I
>fancy a try. Can anyone recommend the best for me considering the
>following facts?
>
>I hate people!
>Well, what I mean is that I don't want to have to chat or play in a
>team to much. I've got my girlfriend, friends and family to talk to if
>I feel the need to chat. :eek:)
>I understand that there will be the need for some communication but
>I'd like it kept to a minimum.

Doesn't sound like mmogs are for you then. You won't find quest structures
or storylines anywhere near as complex or engrossing & you will feel out of
place. Having said that, World of Waiting seems pretty much spot on if you
want to solo all the way & make no friends.

>Are there any games and servers out there that might suit me or should
>I just stick to single playing RPG's? I've just picked up the
>Ultima and Wizardry compilations from Ebay and was going to give them a
>crack.

Good idea. We already have enough antisocial people playing mmogs - can you
take some with you while you're at it pls?

>Thanks for any advice.

YMW.

>Badbark
>"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd
>have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
>But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
>- Steven Weinberg, Nobel laureate physicist

Ahhh, a Steven Weinberg fanatic...it all makes sense now :)

Not if you choose your server wicely. I have played it for a while and
have never waited for Dragonblight. Bernt E

Hi
The one MMORPG that got me is Lineage2.
he game is extreamly hard and you have to put time in it...but there is
something about it that the other game don't have.
Don't ask me what but there is a feel to it that i did not get with
everquest UO ect.
I have not tried WOW yet...but heard it was too easy ;)
but that was on the linage board ;)
Plus all the updates are <will be free>

Badbark wrote:

> I've never played a MMORPG before bvt now that I'm getting broadband I
> fancy a try. Can anyone recommend the best for me considering the
> following facts?
>
> I hate people!
> Well, what I mean is that I don't want to have to chat or play in a
> team to mvch. I've got my girlfriend, friends and family to talk to if
> I feel the need to chat. :eek:)
> I vnderstand that there will be the need for some commvnication bvt
> I'd like it kept to a minimvm.
>
> The only online game I have ever played was Qvake 2 abovt 3-4 years ago
> bvt never enjoyed the team games and only liked Deathmatch.
>
> My favovrite CRPG's in the last few years in rovgh order are as
> follows:
> Baldvrs Gate Series
> Gothics
> Fallovts
> Planescape: Torment
> Wizardry 8
> KOTOR
> Morrowind
> Arx Fatalis
> Icewind Dales
>

> The only popvlar RPG's that I have ever hated wovld be the Diablos. I
> jvst can't stand the continvovs clicking.
>
> I generally prefer tvrn based combat or semi tvrn based like the
> infinity engine games bvt becavse of playing FPS's I have no problem
> with a bit of twitch control needed in Gothic or Morrowind.
>
> I'm playing Gothic 2 with the Night of the Raven (Translation mod
> installed) add-on at the minvte and wovld love to play a similar game
> online. I'd be qvite happy exploring a large game world on my own
> fighting monsters and doing qvests.
>
> Are there any games and servers ovt there that might svit me or shovld
> I jvst stick to single playing RPG's? I've jvst picked vp the
> Ultima and Wizardry compilations from Ebay and was going to give them a
> crack.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Badbark
> "Religion is an insvlt to hvman dignity. With or withovt it, yov'd
> have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
> Bvt for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
> - Steven Weinberg, Nobel lavreate physicist
<end qvote>

If yov fancy Gothic style, I'd recommand Risk Yovr Life Online (RYL Online),
yov covld chose between US server or Malaysia Server. I'm not svre abovt the US
server's vrl, bvt for Malaysia server, they are having a beta test on RYL2 -
Incomplete Union. The test is free and there wil be a wipe at the end of test.
This shovld give yov enovgh time to get a feel of the game. The game is pretty
mvch solo-able, my lv52 Warrior is still progressing steadily withovt ever
partied with any one. One good thing to PK-haters, in this game, yov need the
other party's aproval before yov covld attack the other party - so, there will
be no crazy PK-ing.

if yov are interested, here's the vrl:

RYL (already p2p) www.ryl.com.my
RYL2 (Beta testing) www.ryl2.com.my

Regards.

"Aaaaah yovrself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
-Seriovs 'Second Encovnter' Sam-

Thanks to everyone who replied. I've got a good few to take a look at.
I've never heard of RYL before but I have to say that it looks great.

Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message news:<Xns961A7CC61E8E1gandalfparker@208.201.224.154>...

> Looks like you might like Ultima Online. But I dont recommend playing the
> official servers. Snag a second hand copy of the UO software and go to
> UOGateway.com to hook up with the free shards. And check out
> uo.stratics.com for some feel about it. (in fact you can check out
> www.stratics.com for some feel on all of the mmorpg)
>
> It looks like there are over 100 free UO servers now. All different types.
> Its kindof a medieval/magic/monsters version of the Sims. After finding the
> free shards (not because they were free but because they are better done)
> Im totally rehooked on UO. Anyone who has an old copy of the UO software
> laying around and is bored during this slump I would highly recommend
> reloading it to check things out.
>
> Gandalf Parker

Hi Gandalf,

This sounds intriguing, but I was hoping you could shed a little more
light (I went to the UOGateway site but it mostly just had info about
d/loading and using the client).

- I have a very old copy of UO, an original one I think, purchased a
few weeks after release, and I know that there have been many many
upgrades and changes over the years... will mine be compatible with
the modern system at all?

- If so, I imagine it will have to be upgraded to the same client
version as everyone else who is using the server... how does this
work? I remember on the official UO servers, you received
patches/updates as part of the log-in process, but how do these free
fan-made servers provide access to this?

- I'm curious, is Origin OK with this kind of thing? Surely it's
taking away from their own business/profits?

Any help or links to useful sites is very much appreciated! I loved
UO, but drifted away from it due to RW commitments, and haven't played
a MMORPG since... looking forward to getting started again.

--
Josh

taipan

Gandalf Parker wrote:

> > - If so, I imagine it will have to be upgraded to the same client
> > version as everyone else who is using the server... how does this
> > work? I remember on the official UO servers, you received
> > patches/updates as part of the log-in process, but how do these
free
> > fan-made servers provide access to this?
>
> There us a seperate exe in the UO directory which will patch your
game.

Excellent.

> > Any help or links to useful sites is very much appreciated! I loved
> > UO, but drifted away from it due to RW commitments, and haven't
played
> > a MMORPG since... looking forward to getting started again.
>
> Well uo.stratics.com is still the best source for hints and tips.
>
> Check out http://www.topshards.com
> Enjoy reading all of the different shard descriptions. The one Im at
> presently is called Shazzy's Shard
>
> also www.gamesites200.com/ultimaonline/ for even more shards

Thanks Gandalf, I'll check them out.

By the way, I recently downloaded the Dom2 demo and spent half the
night fiddling around with Bruce Geryk's tutorial game. Wow. That game
is one intimidating SOB. :) But after all the praise I've read on
here, and the glimpse I've had myself, I think I'll be putting an order
through in the near future...

--
Josh

taipan@ihug.co.nz (Josh Boardman) wrote in

> - I have a very old copy of UO, an original one I think, purchased a
> few weeks after release, and I know that there have been many many
> upgrades and changes over the years... will mine be compatible with
> the modern system at all?

There are shards which proudly announce that they are different versions of
UO. With so many people doing shards there is always someone who feels that
xxxxx upgrade totally ruined a good game. Luckily there are enough to cover
every version that UO did. Besides you can usually play with previous
versions, just not get some of the higher capabilities.

> - If so, I imagine it will have to be upgraded to the same client
> version as everyone else who is using the server... how does this
> work? I remember on the official UO servers, you received
> patches/updates as part of the log-in process, but how do these free
> fan-made servers provide access to this?

There us a seperate exe in the UO directory which will patch your game.

> - I'm curious, is Origin OK with this kind of thing? Surely it's
> taking away from their own business/profits?

Majorly. I went back to the UO servers first to check it out. They are much
less crowded and I thought Id be happy there but its SOOOooooo NERFED! Im
sorry but their givee givee to the players has ruined it. Im not into
undermining "the corporations" and all that. I wont mention sites you can
get illegal copies of the client software. I feel people should still buy
it if they want to play. But I cant being myself to recommend the UO
servers over the free ones.

taipan@ihug.co.nz wrote in news:1111192095.966959.65980
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> By the way, I recently downloaded the Dom2 demo and spent half the
> night fiddling around with Bruce Geryk's tutorial game. Wow. That game
> is one intimidating SOB. :) But after all the praise I've read on
> here, and the glimpse I've had myself, I think I'll be putting an order
> through in the near future...

Excellent. Be sure to hang on to www.shrapnelgames.com for the forums.

Gandalf Parker
--
In Dominions, if it looks like a killer strategy
then look at it again carefully.

taipan@ihug.co.nz wrote in news:1111191706.191178.12270
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Sounds really cool. It was the rampant PK-ing (although now this is
> known as "griefing" apparently, had to look that up on wikipedia ;-P)
> and whack-a-mole macro power levelling that put me off from ever
> getting back into UO. I spent ages persuading my non-gaming g/f to try
> making a fishing/baking char and doing a bit of RPing, but that came to
> an abrupt and tearful end a week later, when a gang of clowns swooped
> down on her next to the river, hacked her to bits and thieved all of
> her tuna muffins. :-/

Yeah Im really not into the player-vs-player thing either. The free-
shards cover a wide range. There are many that is just about the whole
purpose of the shard, some where there is no PvP at all. Others that
allow PvP but no PKilling or griefing.

Id be perfectly happy on one with no PvP but Shazzy's is more the PvP/no-
PKilling type. In other words, there is a Felucca where you can kill each
other. There is dueling. And guild-wars. There are player arenas and
special events. But its all voluntary. They are really REALLY slam-hard
on ANY effort to try and kill players in Trammel. Im not even sure how
they would handle a non-voluntary death in Fel. Definetly if it was done
by trickery they would probably slam it. Its all adult staff (all over 30
Im fairly sure). And its got some really nice surprise things added to
it. Anyway, Im having fun. Its a blast being able to put your house
anywhere you want

Gandalf Parker

Badbark wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who replied. I've got a good few to take a look at.
> I've never heard of RYL before but I have to say that it looks great.
>

> Badbark
> "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd
> have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
> But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
> - Steven Weinberg, Nobel laureate physicist
<end quote>

Well, from what I heard, RYL2 Beta ends today (19/March/2005 +8GMT),so just in
case you didn't get to try out the free beta, maybe I'll give you some insight
of the game.

RYL2 basically is an expension to RYL, they use the same engine but with many
enhancement graphics wise and game play wise.

In RYL 2, the 2 main tribes (Human and Ak'khan) got to play in the same map,
whereas in RYL, the two tribes are in 2 seperate maps and the will meet and
fight a war in a common map called the arena. In other words, in RYL, the two
tribes are in constant war while in RYL2, they could play peacefully, if they
decide not to PvP (called a "duel"). However, in both version, PvP will bring
the players fame and medals which they could use to exchange for gems to
upgrade their equipment.

RYL supports 2 types of control, the mouse mode - the conventional point and
click way, and the keyboard mode, where you control the characters with the
wasd keys in 3-rd person mode. The keyboard mode is the soul and flesh of RYL,
where you can move and evade enemy blows while fighting.

You have to chose side whe you create your char, if you chose Human, you will
not be able to play Ak'khan and vice-versa. But you can start another set of
chars in another server and chose anothe tribes.

The skill system is pretty unique. There are 2 types of skills, one is common
to all classes, and of course the other will be class dependant - the Human
have 4 base classes: fighter, mage, acolyte and rogue. They will be able to
class change at level 10, and choose between 2 paths. so there are a total of 8
classes to chose from for human. I'm not sure about Ak'khans, since I have not
play far for Akkhan.

For every level you gain, you will earn 1 skill point (along with the usual
stat points), which, you could spend on skill books. One book will raise 1 sub
level and will cost 1 skill point. every 6 sub level will raise the skill to
the next level. There are 4 levels for each skill. Here's the best part of the
skill system: you can delete a sub level from a skill, eventually delete the
whole skill at anytime, regaining the skill point(s) and reassign them to other
skills. All that you'll lose is the money you spent on the skill books. For
example, you have spent 12 skill points to raise your swordsmanship skill to
level 3.0 and later you find some supreme axe and you want to use it, you can
delete all your swordsmanship skill and put all the points you regain in to axe
skill and enjoy the full benefit of the super-duper axe you just aquired, at
axe skill level 3.0.

the quest system has nothing to mention, most are the same old kill/run errand
kinda quest.

In RYL2, equipments have ranks from F (lowest) to A(highest), I'm not sure if
there are S rank equipment, since I have't reach Rank A yet. In every rank, if
the stats of the equipment reach a certain level, it will have a "+" apended to
the rank. An equipment will have as much as 6 pluses appended, exceeding 6, the
rank will get raise one level. You could ENHANCE ther equipment with gems, each
enhancement will raise a rank. You could also COMBINE 2 equipments of the same
level (pluses are not counted) to raise the stats.

I think this should explain enough about the game mechanics.

Regards.

"Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
-Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-

Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
the signs say:

>taipan@ihug.co.nz (Josh Boardman) wrote in
>
>> - I have a very old copy of UO, an original one I think, purchased a
>> few weeks after release, and I know that there have been many many
>> upgrades and changes over the years... will mine be compatible with
>> the modern system at all?
>
>There are shards which proudly announce that they are different versions of
>UO. With so many people doing shards there is always someone who feels that
>xxxxx upgrade totally ruined a good game. Luckily there are enough to cover
>every version that UO did. Besides you can usually play with previous
>versions, just not get some of the higher capabilities.

Heh, from looking at this recently, at least one shard considered that
UO:R "ruined" the game.

An awful lot of the free shards require AOS though.

<snip>
>> Any help or links to useful sites is very much appreciated! I loved
>> UO, but drifted away from it due to RW commitments, and haven't played
>> a MMORPG since... looking forward to getting started again.
>
>Well uo.stratics.com is still the best source for hints and tips.

Just a note here; For at least some of the free shards the uo.stratics
information will be completely useless.

Xocyll

taipan@ihug.co.nz (Josh Boardman) looked up from reading the entrails of

>Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message news:<Xns961A7CC61E8E1gandalfparker@208.201.224.154>...
>>
>> Looks like you might like Ultima Online. But I dont recommend playing the
>> official servers. Snag a second hand copy of the UO software and go to
>> UOGateway.com to hook up with the free shards. And check out
>> uo.stratics.com for some feel about it. (in fact you can check out
>> www.stratics.com for some feel on all of the mmorpg)
>>
>> It looks like there are over 100 free UO servers now. All different types.
>> Its kindof a medieval/magic/monsters version of the Sims. After finding the
>> free shards (not because they were free but because they are better done)
>> Im totally rehooked on UO. Anyone who has an old copy of the UO software
>> laying around and is bored during this slump I would highly recommend
>> reloading it to check things out.
>>
>> Gandalf Parker
>

>Hi Gandalf,
>
>This sounds intriguing, but I was hoping you could shed a little more
>light (I went to the UOGateway site but it mostly just had info about
>d/loading and using the client).
>
>- I have a very old copy of UO, an original one I think, purchased a
>few weeks after release, and I know that there have been many many
>upgrades and changes over the years... will mine be compatible with
>the modern system at all?
>
>- If so, I imagine it will have to be upgraded to the same client
>version as everyone else who is using the server... how does this
>work? I remember on the official UO servers, you received
>patches/updates as part of the log-in process, but how do these free
>fan-made servers provide access to this?

It depends on the shard really.
Some of them have custom files you must download and install, and others
like Shadowcove have what could best be described as a parallel
installation. They have their own patcher and modified client that are
run instead of the original UO ones, and leave the UO files untouched so
you could play on the actual UO servers without hassle.

Most of them seem to require a custom content download though.

>- I'm curious, is Origin OK with this kind of thing? Surely it's
>taking away from their own business/profits?
>
>Any help or links to useful sites is very much appreciated! I loved
>UO, but drifted away from it due to RW commitments, and haven't played
>a MMORPG since... looking forward to getting started again.

Most of the free shards have some kind of website and/or forums that
explain how things are on their shard.

How things are on any one free shard can vary massively from other
shards or the "real" UO shards, so there's no real centralized data.

Xocyll

Badbark wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who replied. I've got a good few to take a look at.
> I've never heard of RYL before but I have to say that it looks great.
>

> Badbark
> "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd
> have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
> But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
> - Steven Weinberg, Nobel laureate physicist
<end quote>

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you got credit card (master/visa), you could
purchase a starter pack which include 30 days play and 150 points (20 points
for 12 hours time block). Last I checked, they are offering the starter pack at
RM32, which is less than 10 USD. You may need to download the client, since
they may not ship the physical package, but rather e-mail you the serial number.

Thus spake taipan@ihug.co.nz, 18 Mar 2005 16:21:46 -0800, Anno Domini:

>Sounds really cool. It was the rampant PK-ing (although now this is
>known as "griefing" apparently, had to look that up on wikipedia ;-P)
>and whack-a-mole macro power levelling that put me off from ever
>getting back into UO. I spent ages persuading my non-gaming g/f to try
>making a fishing/baking char and doing a bit of RPing, but that came to
>an abrupt and tearful end a week later, when a gang of clowns swooped
>down on her next to the river, hacked her to bits and thieved all of
>her tuna muffins. :-/

ROFLMAO! Oops - sorry, I wasn't meant to laugh there, ey? *blush*

>Also, the pings weren't so hot for a guy connecting from NZ with a
>33.6K modem.

MATE! You're a Kiwi! Get your arse in here! I've only got vampires & the
unemployed or under 15s to play with weeknights! ;-)

>> >Any help or links to useful sites is very much appreciated! I loved
>> >UO, but drifted away from it due to RW commitments, and haven't
>played
>> >a MMORPG since... looking forward to getting started again.
>>
>> See above. Hope we run into your char on SC soon mate - look for
>Nostromo &
>> Xocyll - no surprise there ;-)
>
>That would be great. I'm currently trying to decide on which broad-band
>provider to sign up with, but hopefully I'll be up and running before
>too long.
>
>Thanks for the comments and help mate!

YMW, errr, Taipan?

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> How things are on any one free shard can vary massively from other
> shards or the "real" UO shards, so there's no real centralized data.

Ive been quite impressed by some of them. Not just the maps and monsters
but the startup screens, the paperdoll, the menus, the skills, everything
can be SOoooo modified. Im still about 50% considering running one myself

Gandalf Parker

Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
the signs say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>
>> How things are on any one free shard can vary massively from other
>> shards or the "real" UO shards, so there's no real centralized data.
>

>Ive been quite impressed by some of them. Not just the maps and monsters
>but the startup screens, the paperdoll, the menus, the skills, everything
>can be SOoooo modified. Im still about 50% considering running one myself

I have to agree, there are some really talented and devoted people out
there.

The only downside I find to UO is it does look a bit dated, and due to
playing NWN I find myself constantly trying to zoom in.

Even though it does look dated, it's still a pretty involving game with
a "living world" feel that seems to be lacking from other games.

It's nice that people can be just crafters/vendors and not adventurers,
though I couldn't get into that personally.

The one thing that has always bugged me though, is that a mage in
balrog/dragon form, flying, has to cross rivers at a bridge.
It's a real slap-in-the-face immersion breaker.

Xocyll